• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just saw this video on a different site:

DarkSoulsSweatingSoldierMeme.jpg

As someone who LOVES Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but doesn't have strong nostalgia for the 2D romps, I can't say I'm that hyped for this game. Especially considering it's releasing on the 3DS - I despise that system's screen and ergonomics.

That said - this was some GREAT gameplay, and looked like a lot of fun. Very creative boss encounter and surprisingly strong production values - great music, animations, and ending cutscene.

Nerrel

an extra ending that goes up to the first ridley fight at the space station would be cool as fuck

That could still screw up Super's flashback sequence.
1312108-supermetroid003.gif

They basically have to end it there, and in the same way. Maybe there's enough wiggle room to put a new sequence in between Samus finding the hatchling and returning to her ship with it, but it depends on what they do...

Ridley making a first attempt at grabbing the Baby metroid during the post queen sequence, maybe?

I'd find it hard to believe that Samus would ever leave the hatchling at Ceres if Ridley had already attempted to steal it once.

Just saw this video on a different site:

DarkSoulsSweatingSoldierMeme.jpg

As someone who LOVES Metroid Prime 1 & 2, but doesn't have strong nostalgia for the 2D romps, I can't say I'm that hyped for this game. Especially considering it's releasing on the 3DS - I despise that system's screen and ergonomics.

That said - this was some GREAT gameplay, and looked like a lot of fun. Very creative boss encounter and surprisingly strong production values - great music, animations, and ending cutscene.

Did you play any of the past 2d metroids? Or only the prime games?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Did you play any of the past 2d metroids? Or only the prime games?

I played RoS on GB and Fusion on the GBA; but I was pretty young (4th grade?) for the former, and remember getting pretty damn frustrated through a lot of it. I actually enjoyed Fusion - but I've heard it's pretty looked down upon.

Opa-Pa

And Zero Mission. I love fusion but I disliked the manditory text and linear design.

And this upcoming game, most likely.

Fusion is quite good, but it's a Metroid game that really, really doesn't want to be one, so it's constantly limiting its potential with patronizing handholding and dialogue. And by the time it opens up, it's already over lol.

wwm0nkey

This game just looks sooooo good. Can't wait for my SE but I do hope they put it on Switch one day because I will double dip asap!

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I replayed Metroid: Zero Mission to prepare myself for Samus Return as it had been a long time since I last played a 2D Metroid game.

The game is fun and really accessible to causal play but I felt that Samus movement was a little stiff at times especially during Mother Brian and Meta Ridley boss fight where I struggled a lot on.

Though I will always laugh how when I first fought Ridley he pushed me into the lava, attack me relentlessly and yet I was able to quickly defeat him.

It forced you

A necessary evil as Metroid Fusion was my first 2D Metroid game and the first one that I actually finished and it gave me the confident to finish up Prime, buy Zero Mission and check out the other Metroid games.

Joining the 'replaying Metroid games because of hype club', I've been going back through Super the last few days. I only played this game for the first time last year, so I don't have any nostalgia, but I can totally recognise why it's the legend of game design it is. That said, I find it intensely frustrating, and I'd never get through it without save states (playing on 3DS). I end up sitting at the enemy spawner farming health and missiles because the trip from the save point to Kraid kicks my ass, then losing to Kraid in like twenty seconds without having learnt anything and having to do it all over again. Or losing to Phantoon even more quickly, and the closest savepoint is your goddamn spaceship like three miles back. I didn't grow up playing 2D games, so I just suck terribly at any game from that era and I don't have the patience for that kind of thing any more.

And the subweapon controls are so bad! Having to cycle one-by-one through all your subweapons to get to the one you want is just so godawfully cumbersome in the middle of a hectic fight. It kind of boggles my mind that the designers thought you'd need both shoulder buttons dedicated to shooting diagonally, but switching weapons (which you do ALL THE GODDAMN TIME) was fine to just stick on the Select button of all things.

Ah well, I definitely respect Super Metroid, and I love seeing what much more skilled people than I can do in that game, but ZM, Fusion and AM2R are the 2D Metroids I really enjoy playing. One day they're going to remake Super Metroid and change a bunch of stuff that mortifies the hardcore fans, but I'm going to love it :p

Yeah, Super Metroid's level design remains impeccable and of all the 2D games it's the one with the most potent atmosphere. It's really the controls that have aged a bit and makes it hard to go back to once you've played something like Zero Mission.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It forced you

Eh, it only marks an objective, but you're still left alone on how to get there. Hell there's even part of the game where you ended up elsewhere I think.

Considering how many games nowadays are labeled as "metroidvania" but follows a more rigid, linear style a la Fusion, I think Fusion is fine.

Robin64

Fusion's handholdy linearity is worth it, though, because there's a payoff when you begin doing things the computer/GF don't expect and you go off the beaten track. That moment feels great because you have been so constrained previously.

Robin64

How do you improve upon perfection?

The GBA ones did. :)

While Super is my fave game in the series, I much prefer how the GBA ones give Samus a bit of weight, allow you to hold R for missiles, and ZM's single-wall wall jumping is sublime.

With newer controllers having two shoulder buttons, I'd set ZR missiles and R to aim diagonally up.

Aeana

You change the controls, you have to change how the game is designed top to bottom

There are already myriad patches out there to change Super Metroid's controls, including one to give you the option of GBA-style missiles. It didn't change how the game is designed.

D.Lo

The GBA ones did. :)
Zero Mission equalled, but did not surpass Metroid 3.

Fusion isn't in the same tier due to the linear hand-holdy weapon-authorizy talky-Adam shit. Also Samus looks like a hunchback wearing a multicolour 90s parachute fabric outfit.

metroid_fusion_varia_suit_by_nardsofdoom.jpg

Still solid but a step down.

Boss Doggie

Zero Mission equalled, but did not surpass Metroid 3.

Fusion isn't in the same tier due to the linear hand-holdy weapon-authorizy talky-Adam shit. Also Samus looks like a hunchback wearing a multicolour 90s parachute fabric outfit.

metroid_fusion_varia_suit_by_nardsofdoom.jpg

Still solid but a step down.

what

you get power ups that didn't even involve Adam

the GBA games basically streamlined the controls

Not sure if this was mentioned or not, but there is a Samus Returns 3DS theme on My Nintendo for 20 gold coins. The theme has the remixed Super Metroid theme if anyone is interested. You might have to do some digging because it's not featured, but it's totally there.

Picking this up as soon as I get my Samus 3ds. Can't wait.
----

Edit - Dumb question

Duffk1ng

Super Metroid is a really weird feeling game to me. Like I know it's 60fps but it just doesn't feel it when I play it and the input just feels weirdly laggy, especially with how snappy AM2R and the GBA games are.

13ruce

Banned
Super Metroid is a really weird feeling game to me. Like I know it's 60fps but it just doesn't feel it when I play it and the input just feels weirdly laggy, especially with how snappy AM2R and the GBA games are.

Hopefully it gets a faster paced gameplay remake someday too otherwise i hope a fan does it like AM2R.

Edit: oops fixed some spelling errors.

Boss Doggie

And in Metroid, Super, Zero Mission, Prime 1-3, even Hunters, NONE of your power ups involve an arrogant prick 'allowing' you to have them. Only Fusion and Other M have that crap.

You confuse Fusion again with MOM taint. It's less about allowing Samus what to use and more of giving her what they have at the mean time as far narrative is concerned (new suit, etc.). Adam is not commanding what Samus should have - he's simply giving her what is available and is even surprised when you pick up stuff out of nowhere.

Fusion did better what MOM was trying to do.

yuoke

Banned
That's one point lower than the score they gave to Metroid Prime (33/40).

While other m got a 35/40, lol...

Japan is obviously not really into the metroid formula as much, so those are still solid scores. Other m probably got higher because it appeals more to japanese taste.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

cough

Japan is obviously not really into the metroid formula as much, so those are still solid scores. Other m probably got higher because it appeals more to japanese taste.

This depresses me. To think you may be right and that melodramatic and misogynistic bullshit with even worse writing and gameplay like Other M might've resonated more with the Japanese audience than any other Metroid game before is sad as fuck.

Garlador

Japan's interested in Metroid has always been a bit... strange.

Hunters - 29/40
Federation Force - 30/40
Prime 3 - 31/40
Prime - 33/40
Prime 2 - 33/40
Prime Pinball - 33/40
Zero Mission - 34/40
Fusion - 34/40
Other M - 35/40

... Yeah.

KingBroly

Banned

Japan was their main target for Other M and they screwed it up royally.

They decided not to cut a check this time, knowing better.

yuoke

Banned
This depresses me. To think you may be right and that melodramatic and misogynistic bullshit with even worse writing and gameplay like Other M might've resonated more with the Japanese audience than any other Metroid game before is sad as fuck.
Well the game was even originally designed with anime concept art. They totally were going hardcore japanese appeal.

Plus the gameplay being action platinum style with no exploration has good japanese appeal.

Top Bottom