• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Well the game was even originally designed with anime concept art. They totally were going hardcore japanese appeal.

Plus the gameplay being action platinum style with no exploration has good japanese appeal.

It having an anime artstyle shouldn't mean shitty tropey misogynistic writing. It could look anime but have a mature, well written script that doesnt totally betray Samus' character or turn her into an abused doormat with daddy issues.

KingBroly

Banned
Well the game was even originally designed with anime concept art. They totally were going hardcore japanese appeal.

Plus the gameplay being action platinum style with no exploration has good japanese appeal.

Art style has nothing to do it. How it was written and who it was written for does. They were going after re-capturing the Japanese Metroid audience (on the Wii, casual friendly system) at the cost of the western audience.

yuoke

Banned
It having an anime artstyle shouldn't mean shitty tropey misogynistic writing. It could look anime but have a mature, well written script that doesnt totally betray Samus' character or turn her into an abused doormat with daddy issues.

Art style has nothing to do it. How it was written and who it was written for does. They were going after re-capturing the Japanese Metroid audience (on the Wii, casual friendly system) at the cost of the western audience.

Not saying the art style means bad/misogynistic writing. Just saying that in general they were just going for Samus to be a total waifu type of character.

It could have turned out even worse though. They could have made her tsundere.

latest

Aldric

This depresses me. To think you may be right and that melodramatic and misogynistic bullshit with even worse writing and gameplay like Other M might've resonated more with the Japanese audience than any other Metroid game before is sad as fuck.

Other M sold poorly in Japan and l remember some opinions from japanese fans being translated and they were similar to the western ones except they didn't complain about sexism. Stuff like "Sakamoto went crazy", "why is there melodrama in Metroid", "when l hear Samus ramblings my reaction is to think 'not my problem'", "Samus used to be strong but here she's portrayed as a normal woman" etc.

edit

Here:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

The 2ch comments are pretty funny.

D.Lo

Still, the Japanese version of Other M is vastly better than the English version. The voice acting and script just work much, much better in Japanese, and the animu melodramatic nonsense is more culturally normal. Still not the greatest Metroid, but it looks and plays nice and is playable to me in Japanese. The English dub however, is unbearable.

Other M sold poorly in Japan and l remember some opinions from japanese fans being translated and they were similar to the western ones except they didn't complain about sexism. Stuff like "Sakamoto went crazy", "why is there melodrama in Metroid", "when l hear Samus ramblings my reaction is to think 'not my problem'", "Samus used to be strong but here she's portrayed as a normal woman" etc.

edit

Here:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

The 2ch comments are pretty funny.

Ouch.

I was honestly expecting a 5 hour game from Metroid 2, so recent news has left me pleasantly surprised. In regards to other Metroid titles:

1). 2D Metroids-
I've loved all Prime titles which got my interest in the 2D titles. Fusion was my favorite. Both SA-X and when you ventured off the beaten path were the most memorable parts of the game. I enjoyed it the most as I felt it had better controls and QoL improvements to Fusion over Super Metroid. It also was more engaging experience than SM and a lot longer than ZM. Zero Mission felt like a taste of Super Metroid with improved design choices, controls and QoL improvements. It was fun for what it was but it's harder to compare a 3 hour adventure to the other lengthier titles. Much like my experience with ALttP, I see why it's held to such a high regard. However, there are some design choices in both SM and ALttP that feel a bit archaic and frustrating which is why I don't personally hold them as highly as others. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the titles just not as much as others.

Metroid: Other M- Controversial opinion but it had a lot of good and different ideas to the series. However, it was marred with terrible design choices where it seems like Sakurai and Team Ninja had different visions for this title. Which resulted in a hog-pog of different gameplay styles and bizarre design choices. I feel it could've been a salvageable project but it was a mess from story to gameplay. It should've been designed eith the nunchuk. They should've allowed for movement while in first person mode and made more interesting gameplay design built around switching between the two perspectives. The story and characterization would've gone a lot better as a prequel to the original Metroid. They could've given us short haired Samus while defiant and a loner still takes orders from Adam. The PTSD thing of seeing Ridley would actually make sense. After Ridley's defeat, Samus gains the confidence to do her own thing without following orders to defeat Queen Metroid. After Adam's death, uncovering GF's dark side and growing independent she quits the GF and does her own thing. It still wouldn't have fixed the long cutscenes of Samus going into lengthy monologues about her feelings. However, since it would be a prequel to Metroid it would at least cut out "the Baby" talk which was at least 35% of the monologues.

Garlador

Reading japanese fans being angry at Other M warms my heart.

As someone born in Japan, it does for me as well.

I always bristle a bit when people just go "well, that's Japan. They don't like their strong female protagonists and prefer them as submissive waifus"... as if Japan doesn't also have a strong number of female leads in games, comics, and movies as well.

Until Other M, Samus was comfortably in that position as well, and thankfully it looks like Samus Returns is also a return to form for her.

KingBroly

Banned

I always bristle a bit when people just go "well, that's Japan. They don't like their strong female protagonists and prefer them as submissive waifus"... as if Japan doesn't also have a strong number of female leads in games, comics, and movies as well.

Until Other M, Samus was comfortably in that position as well, and thankfully it looks like Samus Returns is also a return to form for her.

2 unfortunate things
1 - Sakamoto will never let Other M go, and neither will Nintendo because of it
2 - She's not getting it back, no matter how hard they try to overcompensate for Other M. They fucked it up. And they can't wave the magic 'CD-i, so it doesn't count' wand either.

Garlador

2 unfortunate things
1 - Sakamoto will never let Other M go, and neither will Nintendo because of it
2 - She's not getting it back, no matter how hard they try to overcompensate for Other M. They fucked it up. And they can't wave the magic 'CD-i, so it doesn't count' wand either.

Broly, my friend... my fellow Metroid fan... my brother-in-arms...

Let it go.

Samus Returns is pretty much the polar opposite of what we got in Other M. It's what you said you wanted. Neither Nintendo nor Sakamoto have ever once publicly made any official statements on Other M or its story after its reception, one way or the other.

Nintendo is giving you a game that's exactly the type of game you asked for with no hint of the story or characterization of Other M.

They may just pull a Devil May Cry 2 on it and leave it alone for the dustbin of history, neither confirming its place nor deny it.

KingBroly

Banned

Let it go.

Samus Returns is pretty much the polar opposite of what we got in Other M. It's what you said you wanted. Neither Nintendo nor Sakamoto have ever once publicly made any official statements on Other M or its story after its reception, one way or the other.

Nintendo is giving you a game that's exactly the type of game you asked for with no hint of the story or characterization of Other M.

They may just pull a Devil May Cry 2 on it and leave it alone for the dustbin of history, neither confirming its place nor deny it.

They won't go past DMC2, either.

I'm simply being realistic about it. I don't expect Nintendo to admit fault with Other M. Ever. It took them a 2nd rating bashing on youtube over Federation Force to take a hint that people didn't want that thing.

yuoke

Banned

Let it go.

Yea pretty much. Other m will basically get little reference to ever again, if any. Especially regarding story and characters.

Opa-Pa

That attitude when talking about japanese games has always bothered me, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Whenever people criticize misogynist or perverted stuff in japanese games, there's a subset of weebs claiming "hey it's a japanese games, it's a different culture" as if japanese people had misogyny programmed into their DNA or was a cultural element that it's to be respected and preserved.

Comes off as low key racist to me lmao.

yuoke

Banned
That attitude when talking about japanese games has always bothered me, I can imagine how frustrating it must be. Whenever people criticize misogynist or perverted stuff in japanese games, there's a subset of weebs claiming "hey it's a japanese games, it's a different culture" as if japanese people had misogyny programmed into their DNA or was a cultural element that it's to be respected and preserved.

Comes off as low key racist to me lmao.

I completely agree with outright saying that misogyny is accepted in japan is bad.

I do think saying that other m in general was designed to fit into japanese tastes makes sense though. Anime concept art, general melodrama story, and samus's design nd personality made to be "waifu-able". You wouldn't see many people saying samus before would be "waifu material". Plus when you have games like FE awakening/fates being the most popular in the series by far of FE, it doesn't help.

Opa-Pa

Oh I definitely agree on that too, I found it pretty blatant. Just my two cents on defending sexism in japanese media since it always grinds my gears.

jwhit28

I completely agree with outright saying that misogyny is accepted in japan is bad.

I do think saying that other m in general was designed to fit into japanese tastes makes sense though. Anime concept art, general melodrama story, and samus's design nd personality made to be "waifu-able". You wouldn't see many people saying samus before would be "waifu material". Plus when you have games like FE awakening/fates being the most popular in the series by far of FE, it doesn't help.

That isn't specific to Japan.

Plus when you have games like FE awakening/fates being the most popular in the series by far of FE, it doesn't help.

because, you know, these games are literally nothing but waifus

they're by far the most accessible/user-friendly games in the series, too

Is there no way to purchase this like a regular human being? I keep things simple with nintendo, console and physical, so I dont really know much about digital purchases or this coin business.

Why would you want to purchase something that is essentially free by redeeming physical games?

Garlador

That isn't specific to Japan.

Nope...

Though... less of that in Metroid would be appreciated. I certainly don't need to know more about Samus's relationship with Adam's brother, or the motherly longing some scientist had for her android abomination.

My greatest love in Metroid is the bond I share with my plasma beam.

better make sure to get that other m yapping out of your system now, I won't be having any of that in the OT!

We'll hopefully all be too busy hunting Metroids. Geez, it really has been too long for us to have something NEW to talk about.

Kindekuma

Banned
better make sure to get that other m yapping out of your system now, I won't be having any of that in the OT!

Speaking of the OT, since you're here in the thread. I updated basically everything image wise. Take a look when you have the chance!

Also if there is Other M talk in the OT Imma be mad upset.

13ruce

Banned
Yeah i got lots of waifu's in other games already i don't need another one. Lets keep Samus a badass bounty hunter/space hunter chick shall we? :p

Seriously tho lets just keep her being a space badass. Waifunising Samus in Other M did not help a whole lot sales wise anyway and it was just meh. I don't mind anime like artstyles tho aslong the character stays the same personality wise. Take that Netflix Castlevania show for example that looks cool as heck. But for Metroid keep what worked in the west in Japan it will never be a success or sell as well as other regions.

Toxi

Banned
Still, the Japanese version of Other M is vastly better than the English version. The voice acting and script just work much, much better in Japanese, and the animu melodramatic nonsense is more culturally normal. Still not the greatest Metroid, but it looks and plays nice and is playable to me in Japanese. The English dub however, is unbearable.
The script still has gaping plotholes though.

For example, Adam and Samus having literally nothing to say after just learning one of Adam's soldiers is a murderous traitor.

Or Adam's sacrifice to take out the supposed unfreezable Metroids in Sector Zero being rendered completely moot because there are signs of Metroid predation in Sector 2.

Or characters literally responding to Samus's inner thoughts in conversations as if they can read her mind.

Or Samus turning off her own Varia Suit, Space Jump, Grapple Beam, etc. even though Adam only talked about authorizing weapons.

Other M's writing is just objectively bad. It reeks of a script written on the fly with no editing. Two of the central plot points are dropped off-screen and the main villain's plot is shoved in less than an hour before the end of the game. Important information like why Ridley had such an impact on Samus is never provided, so the only way to understand what the hell is going on is to read a Japanese-only out-of-print 2002 manga.

They won't go past DMC2, either.

I'm simply being realistic about it. I don't expect Nintendo to admit fault with Other M. Ever. It took them a 2nd rating bashing on youtube over Federation Force to take a hint that people didn't want that thing.

Our best bet is for Nintendo to double down on their decision to treat the Prime games as their own separate universe. At first I hated that but after Other M poisoning the well I'd rather have at least one Samus that's not an abused doormat with daddy issues than none at all.

Unless they go out of their way to completely erase Other M from canon which I dont think they'll do.

KingBroly

Banned
Our best bet is for Nintendo to double down on their decision to treat the Prime games as their own separate universe. At first I hated that but after Other M poisoning the well I'd rather have at least one Samus that's not an abused doormat with daddy issues than none at all.

Unless they go out of their way to completely erase Other M from canon which I dont think they'll do.

Considering they have Other M on that Japanese timeline, they won't. One of many reasons why I say they'll never let it go.

As for Prime 4...that game puzzles me the most. Every single aspect (besides it being first person) really is up for debate at this point. Graphics, controls, modes, etc. How's it going to translate to HD? Too many questions.

Toxi

Banned
A soft remake for Super Metroid with better controls could be perfect.
I honestly feel like the only control change that is objectively better is changing weapon switching to individual keys.

I prefer Super Metroid wall jumping to Zero Mission wall jumping.

I honestly feel like the only control change that is objectively better is changing weapon switching to individual keys.

I prefer Super Metroid wall jumping to Zero Mission wall jumping.

Personally:

Weapon toggles
GBA > Super

Walk/run movement
GBA > Super

Jump speed
GBA > Super

Diagonal aim
GBA > Super

Wall jump
Super > GBA

Beam upgrades
Super > GBA

Cindro

Somebody please convince me to buy and play the 3DS version of Super Metroid before next Friday!

I first bought it on the Wii, then again on the Wii U. Both times I only played about an hour or so, because the controls felt so much clunkier than ZM and FM. It also doesn't feel that different than ZM - the world, aesthetic, soundtrack, and even bosses largely seem the same. Because of that, I've always just replayed ZM when I get that 2D Metroid craving.

But I really want to play SM at some point, and I am so hyped for this remake that now seems like a great time to finally conquer the stilted controls and play through the thing.

... except the SNES Classic comes out in four weeks,so buying SM now seems like a SUPREME waste of money.

But the urge is so strong!

Mael

Don't know why but I feel like they're gonna fuck this game up in some way.
I can just feel it.
I think already they would have been better off not remaking the game and just doing something new.

Somebody please convince me to buy and play the 3DS version of Super Metroid before next Friday!

I first bought it on the Wii, then again on the Wii U. Both times I only played about an hour or so, because the controls felt so much clunkier than ZM and FM. It also doesn't feel that different than ZM - the world, aesthetic, soundtrack, and even bosses largely seem the same. Because of that, I've always just replayed ZM when I get that 2D Metroid craving.

But I really want to play SM at some point, and I am so hyped for this remake that now seems like a great time to finally conquer the stilted controls and play through the thing.

... except the SNES Classic comes out in four weeks,so buying SM now seems like a SUPREME waste of money.

Won't that be your 1st portable Super Metroid though?
I know I'm not helping btw.

Opa-Pa

I too got SM on the Wii U as soon as it came out, but didn't really beat it again until I got it on n3DS.

Portable Super Metroid is soooo good!

D.Lo

The script still has gaping plotholes though.

For example, Adam and Samus having literally nothing to say after just learning one of Adam's soldiers is a murderous traitor.

Or Adam's sacrifice to take out the supposed unfreezable Metroids in Sector Zero being rendered completely moot because there are signs of Metroid predation in Sector 2.

Or characters literally responding to Samus's inner thoughts in conversations as if they can read her mind.

Or Samus turning off her own Varia Suit, Space Jump, Grapple Beam, etc. even though Adam only talked about authorizing weapons.

Other M's writing is just objectively bad. It reeks of a script written on the fly with no editing. Two of the central plot points are dropped off-screen and the main villain's plot is shoved in less than an hour before the end of the game. Important information like why Ridley had such an impact on Samus is never provided, so the only way to understand what the hell is going on is to read a Japanese-only out-of-print 2002 manga.
Prime has massive plot holes as well, hence the plot changes for the PAL/Japanese release. Which create an even bigger plot hole, why is Metroid Prime seemingly engineered around your specific abilities of the Space Pirates did not experiment with it?

It's not really that big a deal. Yes OM has bad writing. But I found it just silly in the Japanese version, certainly far better than the horrendous English version. And the game overall is decent to me, looks great and is fun to play on both an action and (to a small extent for the series) exploration level.

Mael

I too got SM on the Wii U as soon as it came out, but didn't really beat it again until I got it on n3DS.

Portable Super Metroid is soooo good!

It cost like 30cents at the time!
I didn't buy many VC games on WiiU but that price was hard to beat really.

Prime has massive plot holes as well, hence the plot changes for the PAL/Japanese release. Which create an even bigger plot hole, why is Metroid Prime seemingly engineered around your specific abilities of the Space Pirates did not experiment with it?

It's not really that big a deal. Yes OM has bad writing. But I found it just silly in the Japanese version, certainly far better than the horrendous English version. And the game overall is decent to me, looks great and is fun to play on both an action and (to a small extent for the series) exploration level.

The thing is that even with the plot holes, it's ok as it's gameplay focused.
I doesn't make sense but it doesn't break the game.

Other M on the other hand had shitty writting and even worse gameplay.
Then again plot holes aren't the issue with Other M, it's not even top 10 problem there.

Both times I only played about an hour or so, because the controls felt so much clunkier than ZM and FM. It also doesn't feel that different than ZM - the world, aesthetic, soundtrack, and even bosses largely seem the same. Because of that, I've always just replayed ZM when I get that 2D Metroid craving.

the first thing I bolded is the reason for the second

I can agree that the relatively clunky controls tend to put me off the game after I've played the GBA ones, though.

Feffe

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3211/

Some people (me including) prefers ZM controls over SM. It's the only aspect aged badly of SM.

I don't think it's aged badly because it's perfectly fine to control outside swapping weapons really. But there is a bit more satisfaction I find in how tight Zero Mission feels to control Samus.

Top Bottom