• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Cindro

Let's name the OT something celebratory, not something that's negative. This game is looking great and we should be happy, not complaining about it not being on Switch.

This is my line of thinking as well. The world is such a dark place these days - there's no reason to be a snarky bastard about something that means a helluva lot to so many people. Let's just rejoice in its existence rather than lamenting what it's not.

Besides, the dual screen format fits Metroid like a glove. I can't think of a better swan song to cap off the insane 13-year run of the DS family!

And I honestly can't wait to see SR388 in 3D. It's going to add so much pop and sizzle to the proceedings.

MechaX

I have been on total media blackout on this one, but are the previews shaping up to be pretty strong?

I need more Samus Aran in my life

-Horizon-

I have been on total media blackout on this one, but are the previews shaping up to be pretty strong?

I need more Samus Aran in my life
People seem to be really liking it.
Basing this on what I've listened to from ign, giant bomb, and gamexplain.

Alot of people also seem to be agreeing that they wished this was on switch instead lol

MechaX

People seem to be really liking it.
Basing this on what I've listened to from ign, giant bomb, and gamexplain.

Alot of people also seem to be agreeing that they wished this was on switch instead lol

That's good. The game releases on payday, so I'll definitely will be able to pick it up. I was a bit worried about the aiming scheme when I was first hearing about the game, but hopefully they pulled that off

All that Super Metroid praise above, like always, leaves me scratching my head thinking "Really?"

Played that game when it was new, years later on an emulator, bought it on Virtual Console. Have always become bored part way through and give up on it. I just don't see it.

I think at base I just find that type of "exploration" in a 2d space inherently simple and boring.

kunonabi

This is my line of thinking as well. The world is such a dark place these days - there's no reason to be a snarky bastard about something that means a helluva lot to so many people. Let's just rejoice in its existence rather than lamenting what it's not.

Besides, the dual screen format fits Metroid like a glove. I can't think of a better swan song to cap off the insane 13-year run of the DS family!

And I honestly can't wait to see SR388 in 3D. It's going to add so much pop and sizzle to the proceedings.

Yeah, the game benefits from being on the 3ds way more than it would from being the switch so I'm perfectly happy where it is.

MoonFrog

I have no problem with 3DS but I get that I stick with legacy hardware, go back to legacy hardware, don't flip old hardware for new, etc. and that isn't the way everyone operates.

Cindro

I have no problem with 3DS but I get that I stick with legacy hardware, go back to legacy hardware, don't flip old hardware for new, etc. and that isn't the way everyone operates.
But the 3DS is not legacy hardware! If you sell an active system when games are still releasing for it, you'll miss out on said games.

2 + 2 = 4

Opa-Pa

After 7 years of discussing how Metroid needs better budget management and that a revival has to be careful with its scope, I really don't give a hell about people crying that the game should be made for more complex hardware.

If you don't own a 3DS then that sucks and I feel for you, but if you do own one and still won't get the game then bye.

A relatively "simple" 2D Metroid is exactly what the series needed next, and the 3DS ensures that both it's not too expensive and that we get it in a timely manner.

yuoke

Banned
Easily. Its also the best Star Fox game while Prime 3 is one of the worst Metroid games.
i9aKlpT.jpg

jwillenn

Well, I finished Azure Striker Gunvolt 1 of the Striker Pack. Loving it, but now I have a deadline to meet (Thursday night) for finishing the second half.

I just realized today that I actually have two preorders of the CE (both are North America). Is it worth keeping the second one to trade or sell (at cost + shipping) to others? Or should I just cancel one?

VDenter

Banned
Say what you want about Other M and Federation Force, at least their control schemes weren't designed for chameleons that can independently move their eyeballs.

I am still not sure why Zero couldn't have just been made for the original Wii instead, back when that system was still supported. It would have retained the pointer controls without it being infuriating to control. The game might have also been more complete as well. Who knows.

Prime 3 would be just over the 10 year mark.

Damn you technicality. Oh wait Europe and Japan are still not at the decade mark yeeey.

Feffe

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| No longer the black (and white) sheep

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| DOT MATRIX 3D GRAPHICS WITH STEREO SOUND

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| Our mercurial series going full steam ahead

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| The one with the Baby. Well, another one

1upsuper

All that Super Metroid praise above, like always, leaves me scratching my head thinking "Really?"

Played that game when it was new, years later on an emulator, bought it on Virtual Console. Have always become bored part way through and give up on it. I just don't see it.

I think at base I just find that type of "exploration" in a 2d space inherently simple and boring.

Wow. Do you just not like metroidvanias? How is Super Metroid "simple" when compared to its standard level-based platformer peers?

I am scooping up the special edition xl and want to put a protective see through shell on it, what is the best recommendation from GAF for one of these?

Nessus

So I've never bought Amiibo before but I really want the Samus Returns ones.

Best Buy online seems to be sold out of them already.

How rare are Amiibo generally?

Is it worth it to pay the double the retail price markup on eBay right now? Like, will the prices just increase from here? Or will they go back down to around retail value in a week or so?

Top Bottom