• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Nintendo has Mario, Link, and Samus Aran.
Wii Fit Trainer
needs more love.

Nope (^__^)

P.S. Replaying Prime series right now. They need to make HD remake of the whole series for Switch at some point (which probably never gonna happen) and before Prime 4, it sure as hell deserve more love and new modern look in 1080p.

WestEgg

It's part of my gaming "Holy Trinity" for Nintendo.

DC has Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Nintendo has Mario, Link, and Samus Aran.

I like this as a Power Trio, as it covers a lot of bases:

Past (Link), Present (Mario), Future (Samus)

Swords (Link), Fists (Mario), Guns (Samus)

High Fantasy (Link), Science Fiction (Samus), Urban Fantasy/Magical Realism (Mario)

This is subjective, but even what could be considered their signature games are spread out across 3 generations (Super Mario Bros NES, Super Metroid SNES, Ocarina of Time N64)

oh god what happened with my grammar in that post lol

you made me dig up my old Club Nintendo magazines

Super Metroid was heavily featured from Spring-Summer across three issues (April, June, August 1994). I love how they casually spoil Mother Brain's fight and all the bosses. :D
Speaking of Club Nintendo the magazine but in its Mexican iteration they did give Super Metroid a cover! Back in February 1994!

For all their fuck ups when it came to covering RPGs (the first cover for an RPG didn't come until 2003 with FF Crystal Chronicles) they were always good covering Metroid.

22655-MLM20233329651_012015-O.jpg

MoonFrog

When I call Mario/Zelda/Metroid the big 3, it's not about sales or recognition. It's about being in a similar space. They're all single-player adventures that originated on the NES and have gone on to have some of Nintendo's best games on most of their systems, particularly the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gameboy, Gamecube, and Wii. It's a legacy thing more than anything else.

Yep. This is it.

It is also that Metroid is sort of a divergent blend of Mario and Zelda. The pathfinding and gadget puzzles are reminiscent of a Zelda dungeon torn apart and spun out into a maze, but there is also a side-scrolling perspective and a greater focus on platforming.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid span the spectrum of classic Nintendo single-player action-adventure games. I'm more likely to see things like the slew of other Nintendo-platformers in relation to Mario and I'm more likely to see Nintendo's RPGs like Fire Emblem, Mother, or Pokemon as different phenomenona (and less intrinsically "Nintendo," in light of their historical developers and their design philosophies).

For me, Zelda and Metroid form a genre: the Nintendo-style adventure game. Low focus on RPG elements, high focus on 'gadgets' with deeper gameplay altering impact that is played out across puzzles, combat, and traversal. The core differences are a) the gameflow--Zelda has an overworld/underworld dichotomy and works in a more predictable way with you having a series of discrete dungeons; Metroid lacks a discrete overworld and has more irregular progress through the zones, with a mix of focused delves and short forays--and b) Zelda is, in keeping with the above, a less "pure" example: it tends to have side-content in the form of side quests, side dungeons, minigames, town folk, etc.; it also has a stronger tendency towards including RPG mechanics.

You have Metroids closer to the Zelda end of the spectrum: things like Prime 2 or 3, which adopt a Zelda-esque temple structure. You have Zeldas closer to the Metroid end of the spectrum: things like Skyward Sword, which had the dungeons bleed out into the environments surrounding them.

I have a huge problem with this as a lot of the oldschool fans have gone on to shun most things that don't fit that classic mold and scoffed at the newer and quirkier games and only the Marios, the Metroids, the Zeldas get the big spotlight.

I didn't play Metroid until GCN, but SNES was the original formative console for my idea of (console) games. aLttP was my original game. (I have different desires and expectations for PC gaming).

SNES-PSX-PS2/GCN (and GameBoy alongside these) are pretty much where my expectations of games come from. I tend to find classics I go back and play from those eras satisfy me, whereas I find myself out-of-step with both modern triple A and "mobile." (quotes because those games are elsewhere too). I do like puzzle games (which are classics) and I do enjoy some core asepcts of the DS(/GBA) revolution that bled into mobile, like the return of text adventures and the zany minigame collections like WarioWare.

This is a large part of why I tend to go Nintendo/mid-tier Japanese gaming on consoles.

It is a "problem" insofar as it makes me not the consummate modern gamer, but tbh I like my taste as it is for the most part.

When I call Mario/Zelda/Metroid the big 3, it's not about sales or recognition. It's about being in a similar space. They're all single-player adventures that originated on the NES and have gone on to have some of Nintendo's best games on most of their systems, particularly the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gameboy, Gamecube, and Wii. It's a legacy thing more than anything else.
More than anything, I just like making a league of icons in a representable group. It's why I love smash bros.

Zero Mission is the only 2D Metroid I hadn't re-played this year but I figured I could use the remaining few days until release to change that. Even though it's my least favourite of the bunch, I'm amazed (yet again) by how well designed the levels are. Hard to believe it's been 13 years since this was released...

Egida

Neo Member
I am so excited just thinking that in a few days we are getting a 2D Metroid! I have replayed Super, Fusion, Zero and Prime 3 just to get in the zone.
Watching those 3 .gifs with the Nintendo Triforce gives me the chills, what an amazing year.

Also, after years of lurking, first post. So glad to be here in such an awesome moment for videogames.

Pit's featured pretty prominently on the box art, too. Doesn't make Kid Icarus a top series for Nintendo.

Still funny to me how Shulk of all characters made it onto the full art.

SI_WiiU_SuperSmashBros_Combo.png

All the characters on this art besides the third party ones were relevant at some point during the DS/Wii/3DS era.

I mentioned back before Smash 4 was out that it seems like that's where they got most of their inspiration for the newcomers.

13ruce

Banned
I am so excited just thinking that in a few days we are getting a 2D Metroid! I have replayed Super, Fusion, Zero and Prime 3 just to get in the zone.
Watching those 3 .gifs with the Nintendo Triforce gives me the chills, what an amazing year.

Also, after years of lurking, first post. So glad to be here in such an awesome moment for videogames.

Welcome on gaf mate.
And yeah this year has been insane especially if you are a Nintendo fan, it's insane.

Yep. This is it.

It is also that Metroid is sort of a divergent blend of Mario and Zelda. The pathfinding and gadget puzzles are reminiscent of a Zelda dungeon torn apart and spun out into a maze, but there is also a side-scrolling perspective and a greater focus on platforming.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid span the spectrum of classic Nintendo single-player action-adventure games. I'm more likely to see things like the slew of other Nintendo-platformers in relation to Mario and I'm more likely to see Nintendo's RPGs like Fire Emblem, Mother, or Pokemon as different phenomenona (and less intrinsically "Nintendo," in light of their historical developers and their design philosophies).

For me, Zelda and Metroid form a genre: the Nintendo-style adventure game. Low focus on RPG elements, high focus on 'gadgets' with deeper gameplay altering impact that is played out across puzzles, combat, and traversal. The core differences are a) the gameflow--Zelda has an overworld/underworld dichotomy and works in a more predictable way with you having a series of discrete dungeons; Metroid lacks a discrete overworld and has more irregular progress through the zones, with a mix of focused delves and short forays--and b) Zelda is, in keeping with the above, a less "pure" example: it tends to have side-content in the form of side quests, side dungeons, minigames, town folk, etc.; it also has a stronger tendency towards including RPG mechanics.

You have Metroids closer to the Zelda end of the spectrum: things like Prime 2 or 3, which adopt a Zelda-esque temple structure. You have Zeldas closer to the Metroid end of the spectrum: things like Skyward Sword, which had the dungeons bleed out into the environments surrounding them.

There's another piece of shared DNA between them: They all heavily emphasize interactivity with the blocks/tiles that make up the world.

I realize you could say this of almost any game, so I'll take it one step further: blocks/tiles are an explicit unit of interactivity in Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

In Mario, you can jump into blocks to reveal hidden items, break or otherwise remove them to create new paths, and walk on them. There are a bunch of different types of blocks (brick blocks, coin blocks, cloud blocks, music blocks, face blocks, etc.) which each have varying "jobs."

In Zelda, you can bomb certain wall tiles, push certain block tiles, or cross/jump over gap tiles. Later games added grass tiles that could be cut or burned to reveal items or secrets beneath. The overarching rule is simple, though: use a specific kind of item on a specific kind of tile for a specific kind of effect on that tile.

Metroid combines bits of the rules from both Mario and Zelda. Some blocks break with your basic tools; some require specific tools.

It's this particular style of interactivity that really unifies these three games as distinctive "Nintendo" experiences.

One of my biggest problems with 3D Mario is that it makes very poor use of "blocks" even though those were a very defining part of Mario's visual identity. In Zelda and Metroid, the blocks were more abstractions of objects that exist in the real world, so I don't feel like they lost as much in their jumps to 3D. But for Mario the brick blocks and question marks and power-ups are part of the experience, and the way it leverages blocks (when it even does) doesn't really feel as cohesive as it does in the 2D games.

Mael

oh god what happened with my grammar in that post lol

you made me dig up my old Club Nintendo magazines

Super Metroid was heavily featured from Spring-Summer across three issues (April, June, August 1994). I love how they casually spoil Mother Brain's fight and all the bosses. :D

That's more than we ever got!
The Official Nintendo magazine in France started in 97 for the n64 so for any Metroid mention we had to wait something like 3 years or so with SSB!
So yeah before 2002 I don't think you have Metroid as any kind of presence in the French press.
We never did get stuffs like Captain N and the only the rather lame Super Mario tv show and the hilariously weird Zelda cartoon in the early 90's.
And since Nintendo never featured Metroid in trade shows, what little hype machine we had at the time only had 1 month to push Super Metroid.
Of course we had commercials which is kind of cute along with this one we had in magazines.
With its 24 Mega, we had trouble take its picture still.

It's stilted but the French sentence is stilted too >.<

MoonFrog

There's another piece of shared DNA between them: They all heavily emphasize interactivity with the blocks/tiles that make up the world.

I realize you could say this of almost any game, so I'll take it one step further: blocks/tiles are an explicit unit of interactivity in Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.

In Mario, you can jump into blocks to reveal hidden items, break or otherwise remove them to create new paths, and walk on them. There are a bunch of different types of blocks (brick blocks, coin blocks, cloud blocks, music blocks, face blocks, etc.) which each have varying "jobs."

In Zelda, you can bomb certain wall tiles, push certain block tiles, or cross/jump over gap tiles. Later games added grass tiles that could be cut or burned to reveal items or secrets beneath. The overarching rule is simple, though: use a specific kind of item on a specific kind of tile for a specific kind of effect on that tile.

Metroid combines bits of the rules from both Mario and Zelda. Some blocks break with your basic tools; some require specific tools.

It's this particular style of interactivity that really unifies these three games as distinctive "Nintendo" experiences.

One of my biggest problems with 3D Mario is that it makes very poor use of "blocks" even though those were a very defining part of Mario's visual identity. In Zelda and Metroid, the blocks were more abstractions of objects that exist in the real world, so I don't feel like they lost as much in their jumps to 3D. But for Mario the brick blocks and question marks and power-ups are part of the experience, and the way it leverages blocks (when it even does) doesn't really feel as cohesive as it does in the 2D games.

That's very interesting.

It ties into what I mean by drawing the dichotomy between Nintendo's action-adventure games and RPGs. Nintendo tends to focus on giving you abilities that have obvious and dramatic gameplay functionality as opposed to abilities that make you more powerful and perhaps dramatically change skilled gameplay but don't really mess with the basic way you encounter the world. Metroid, Zelda, Mario all tend to focus primarily on power ups that, as you point out, allow you to interact with the environment in new and evolving ways and the game design is centered around exploiting these interactions across the board, from combat, to puzzles, to platforming.

Turning to the usage of blocks in these games makes this sort of point evident. They're the explicit nodes of interaction in the original games, i.e. where this gameplay happened.

If anyone playing the game has worked out how to get past the red spikes send me a PM! They're hiding the final items I need to get 100%.

Zero Mission is the only 2D Metroid I hadn't re-played this year but I figured I could use the remaining few days until release to change that. Even though it's my least favourite of the bunch, I'm amazed (yet again) by how well designed the levels are. Hard to believe it's been 13 years since this was released...

I really need to track down and find another Micro.

tesqui

I'm way too hyped for this game. Now that I finished Mario + Rabbids I've got no game to distract me. This is going to be a very long weeeeeeeeeeek..

watershed

Banned
I'm super super curious to see how this game sells. It looks really good but I'm done putting money into the 3ds and have plenty to play on the Switch. Still I want this game to succeed if it is as good as it looks.

kunonabi

Man, the classic gb cover looks so good. Totally going to use it since Nintendo and Atlus killed 3DS spine uniformity anyway.

FDBK

Can't tell you enough how excited I am that we will be playing a new 2D Metroid title!

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| Yet Another Metroid 2 Remake

oav19tl.jpg

SOON YOU WILL HAVE UR TIME FOX

Don't forget that Starfox 2 is in the SNES Mini. I've only ever played Starfox Wii U, so playing it for the first time will finally make me see what all the hype was around Starfox 2.

Releasing a two decade old cancelled game is a ballsy move.

Cindro

Guys and gals...

Guys and gals!!

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time ever, despite being a Nintendo diehard and a Metroid fan for 15 years

The deed is done

Top Bottom