• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

It's the most memorable but looking over the original OST again, most of the tracks do their job pretty admirably.
And I won't have anyone shit talking the final battle theme!

I still remember playing it for the first time and getting all pumped up listening to that song, but then most of the game turned to ambience. It's good ambience, mind, but not a particularly memorable one.

Can't remember the final boss theme either, although I do like the ending theme with the baby Metroid.

What if this track gets a remix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZsfpMBRmE&index=3&list=PL9EF3D31B7401330B

I think I would laugh too much.

It's okay in my book, but it does grate on the nerves after a while. I imagine it'll be in here, albeit improved.

maxcriden

For me:

Metroid II - my favorite of the 2D games. I like the atmosphere and sterile, isolative and harsh alien nature of it the best. Also my first 2D Metroid so that probably plays a part. Well, I played part of Fusion many years before but I don't remember it too well and I don't know if it left much of an impression at the time - not that I was necessarily sufficiently open to it - so I won't count it.

Metroid and Super Metroid - more of the same feeling as Metroid II. Super Metroid is more polished, content rich and accessible, but I probably got just as much satisfaction out of the arcane language learning of playing the original Metroid. I had to look up things in all three of these games, though. I found all three immersive and engaging. The music is very compelling in these too.

Metroid Blast - a veritable love letter to Metroid fans, one of many to fans in Nintendo Land. The levels and challenges give great and clever opportunities for an arcade-y take on the franchise, with fun spins on familiar enemies and some serious challenge, especially when going for Master Ranks but present for sure in the regular stages too.

Metroid Prime - tried several times to get into this game. On my latest attempt I've made it to the Chozo Mines and given up after a while. I think the aesthetic of the series in 3D is really unappealing to me. Also, traversal feels slow to me. It's clever and everything but I tend to agree with the points laid out in this article: AV Club: When Metroid got too wordy for its own good. As someone largely disinterested in violence in 3D games, the violence in Metroid Prime feels much more visceral and real than in the 2D games, so that is a turn off for me too. The music is pretty cool. I can definitely respect from a lore perspective that there's a lot to enjoy. The controls are tight and on Wii are especially immersive. The game to me feels like immersively putting on a space suit and embarking on an adventure that feels too much like work.

Mael

kpp8nvk.png

This room is literally copy n' pasted three times in this area alone, and the worst part is that there's absolutely nothing there. There are no powerups or missle upgrades here. If you go over here, you're wasting your time.

Meanwhile, here's the same area in Zero Mission.

WUJ7psk.png

As you can see, they gutted out all the repeated bullshit and put in some interesting mechanics and a few missle/energy upgrades to find, as well as a mini-boss. Comparing this to the original game really makes you appreciate ZM's level design more.

It's actually for these kinds of change that I prefer OG Metroid over ZM.
Metroid is, intentionally or not, a maze and works like one.
The lack of map and repetitive layout being confusing to the player is kind of the point of what makes OG Metroid work.
If you can't get lost in a labyrinth, it's a bad labyrinth.
Even BotW understood this in the 3 mazes.

If you remove the obtuseness and add maps and all the doodads, it's just a Super Metroid mod. You can prefer that if you want but you're not playing Metroid 1 anymore.
It is cute to see the "Other M at least has good gameplay" posts. Lmao.

Metroid has always been about gameplay, so you should really know by know what a good gameplay actually is. Other M doesn't have that. And it has awful, AWFUL ideas and executions, such as the gendered bathrooms that Samus can only enter the female one. Good Lord. Inexcusable pile of shit.

It's always funny to see people excusing or explaining the story in some way when it's so far from being close to the beginning of the game's problem.
If the game had no story at all it still would be pretty damn horrible.
Heck if anything the story at least distract people from how horrible everything else about the game is.

Metroid has always been about gameplay, so you should really know by know what a good gameplay actually is. Other M doesn't have that. And it has awful, AWFUL ideas and executions, such as the gendered bathrooms that Samus can only enter the female one. Good Lord. Inexcusable pile of shit.
What are the better posts alternatives, the ones that are driven by pure hate? The creator having certain views since he comes from a different cultural background is at least excusable. i think it's a bit too "cultural egocentric" to expect all world views in a game to reflect our own.

One has to question criticism coming from sources that can't recognize at least some of the good quailities a profesioanly developed game such as Other M has. People even get uncomfortable when one suggests elements from the game that are making a comback in Samus Returns, not to mention Sakamoto's involment again.

Let's be constructive for once by pointing out it's many flaws but also recognize it's contributions to the series, what it does well and what parts of it work independently of if it suits our preferences. "Inexcusable pile of sh*t" is too much of an exagerated reaction towards it.

great post, RagnarokX. I continue to be impressed you manage to muster the energy to argue things like this where it feels like shouting into the wind.

that's just poorly handled symbolism being shoved into our face. remember that Alien, one of the key influences on the series, did similar things, albeit more elegantly (MUTHR, chestburster birth, eggs, etc).

That goes back to what I said about execution, though. Like I was kinda saying, the theme and background was okay, but his execution is terrible, whether that's his choice in symbolism, portrayal of events, decisions etc...It was almost all done in poor taste and ruins the characters and story. It doesnt matter if there was some context behind the Ridley v Samus fight, for instance, because it requires leaps of logic to actually understand why she might suddenly treat her encounter differently than before, and it makes more sense to just assume they botched the scene with sexism due to the overall sexist feeling of the game, in general. This should have been a clear moment, not one where people immediately ask questions about what the intent was, or why Samus acted the way she did. My point is, execution can ruin a story, and did here. In fact, I cant think of a better example of this happening. You cant really forgive it, just because there are some good intentions in the background.

Like, if you want to do a story about PTSD, and Samus' past, there are so many better ways to do everything. There are many assumptions we have to make about the story that you cant explicitly grab from any sources. In the end, they were just so obsessed with Samus as a female character, they made everything revolve around that, to the point they never explained or made sense of important story moments. Nothing necessarily wrong with a story that revolves around a characters gender...unless it's handled poorly, which it is, extremely, here.

I disagree about the gameplay. From what I remember, it was fun. Not perfect, as the controls hurt it, but it felt unique and engaging, in the end. The bosses were well designed, and the Ridley fight, in particular, was one of the best. I don't know if it holds up today, but, for what it was, I remember liking it.

I dont remember the bathrooms LOL. I may be in the middle of an extremely dangerous mission, but a true lady NEVER enters the males restroom.

Mael

What are the better posts alternatives, the ones that are driven by pure hate? The creator having certain views since he comes from a different cultural background is at least excusable. i think it's a bit too "cultural egocentric" to expect all world views in a game to reflect our own.

One has to question criticism coming from sources that can't recognize at least some of the good quailities a profesioanly developed game such as Other M has. People even get uncomfortable when one suggests elements from the game that are making a comback in Samus Returns, not to mention Sakamoto's involment again.

Let's be constructive for once by pointing out it's many flaws but also recognize it's contributions to the series, what it does well and what parts of it work independently of if it suits our preferences. "Inexcusable pile of sh*t" is too much of an exagerated reaction towards it.
Let's be real, no one would try to find any kind shine in the turd if it was from the people who made Bubsy 3D or Sonic 06.
It is an inexusable pile of shit BECAUSE of who did it.
It would just be a pile of shit if it was just a random indie game and we all know it.
It isn't a quality product and an even less quality game.
The reason people don't want elements from Other M in any other game is because these elements contributed to making the game worse than it could have been.
One example : melee takedowns in Other M.
Cool moves with cool camera angles? Yep, also takes unecessarily more time than it should and gets repetitive really fast (the fact that they're so few doesn't help). All that resulting in making traversal even more of a chore as some enemies cannot be dispatched any other way.
If the new Counter mechanic is as mandatory as the melee takedowns in Other M, it's going to harm the game.

Hatred of Other M is anything but blind, the game is full of bad ideas and horribly executed concepts.
The sum is actually worse than the sum of its parts.

Opa-Pa

There's a post by a japanese user a couple of pages ago expressing how frustrating it is to see people justifying crap like Other M with the excuse that it's japanese.

And well, it did nothing for the series... Like literally. We're not getting any new games that approach 3D movement like it as we went back to the FPS/2D split, and it's probably the only Metroid game with a story that doesn't affect any other game in the series or its universe in any capacity... As for the series, well, it's probably best not to talk again about what it did to it.

KingBroly

Banned
There's a post by a japanese user a couple of pages ago expressing how frustrating it is to see people justifying crap like Other M with the excuse that it's japanese.

And well, it did nothing for the series... Like literally. We're not getting any new games that approach 3D movement like it as we went back to the FPS/2D split, and it's probably the only Metroid game with a story that doesn't affect any other game in the series or its universe in any capacity... As for the series, well, it's probably best not to talk again about what it did to it.

Other M only hurt the series. Direction, characters, plot, scenarios, level design, music, combat. It's just one bad idea after another. It felt like it was done for the sake of doing it rather doing it for a purpose. It's soulless.

My list! This is a good time since i replayed everything recently!

1) Super Metroid. I drooled over these 2 pics of SM until it came out.
Snes Force 10 said:
I hadn't played 1 or 2 at this point so it was really only those screens that drew me to the game (well that and the bigger the cartridge, the better it must be back then!). I hired it cause that's what we did, and with a friend we made it up the red vertical shaft in Brinstar, only to never find the power bombs! We also had Megaman X that night, so we played that instead and when they both went back to the rental shop, I remember being disappointed with Super, we barely got our moneys worth! Stupid game!

But some time passed and the game stuck in my head. Had to hire it again and find the way through. Of course i felt stupid when i realised what i'd missed, and with that knowledge, nothing was going to leave me stumped again! I finished the game and by the end, the fight with Mother Brain must have been the grandest thing i'd ever seen. That music! Insanely epic.

Eventually I bought the game and used to play through fast as i could before doing that was a thing. My mate from before would just sit and watch and we'd often run through it a few times straight after each other. Never figured any real speed tricks back then, but I liked going for 100% at the same time, so it was all about simply minimising the backtracking, picking things up when you knew you could, never going in doors that led to places you couldn't reach yet. It was then that I realised just how much sheer genius is in that map design.

I played it so much back then, by the time the 64 came out and things moved on, I hadn't really touched it again till very recently. I looked up some of the real speed tricks and played that way for the first time, and i'll be damned if I don't think almost every last one of those tricks was intentional as well (even mockball!) The paths around the standard path just seem to flow so well themselves. I guess we'll never know but to me, the game is perfect and my #1 game of all time.

2) Metroid Prime. I had no concerns about FPS/FPA, unproven Retro or anything. The second i saw Samus run that hallway at Spaceworld 2000, i knew it'd be good. A friend with an imported GCN got it a few months earlier than me, so i first played it at his house on an enormous rear projection tv, it was stunning! I hated that Metroid skipped the N64, but seeing the clarity of the world wiped that all away very quickly! I only played the space station that day. The wait was unbearable but when I got it, I played through nonstop to the end. I feel they captured the essence of Super perfectly, almost a little too perfectly - it's totally different, of course, but in the same way OOT has a similar structure to ALTTP, Prime mimic's Super's structure as well. In my mind, a small part of me thinks they don't deserve the credit since Super was first! But that's selling the game incredibly short, it's an amazing game to this day.
And way better than Halo :D

3) Metroid Prime 2. I waver on whether Prime or Prime 2 is better all the time. I love the extra complexity of navigating the 2 worlds (hey this one's ripping off ALTTP now!), and the bosses are better, the morph ball puzzles are better. Usually Prime 1 ends up on top though, because of it's more natural world structure. Prime 2 has that room in the centre leading off to all the major areas that serves as a constant reminder "this is game and we put this room here for your convenience!". Oddly that's one of the few places that'll have me casually walking out the wrong door to the wrong area! That's the only real blemish for me though, another fantastic game.

4) Metroid Zero Mission. Comes close to reaching the heights of Super but, although i enjoy the post game sequence, it makes the game feel like two short halves in a way. Like when The Search for Spock ends when the Klingon is killed but then really ends when Spock starts getting his memory back! :D I liked how they expanded the speed booster puzzles too, though they sometimes seem like they'd better in a game entirely about speed booster puzzles!

5) Metroid Fusion. I never had too much problem with getting directed around the place by Adam. I don't really like the funneled design of each area (navigation > save > refill) making it all seem too game-like again. Super has Save stations near the entry to most areas but it's just nowhere near as obvious why they were put there. The only other fault i have with this (and Zero Mission to a lesser extent) is how many items are unobtainable until near the very end.

6) Metroid Prime 3. The core of Prime is still there and still great in this one, but there's just a bunch of extra fluff i could do without - the entire intro and escape sequences with the GF do nothing for me! I liked Bryyo though it seems a bit small, Skytown manages to confuse me no matter how many times i play (everything looks the same and i don't like canons firing me across areas... i lose my place too easily) Pirate homeworld was pretty cool if a little questionable why they put so many convenient shafts for Samus to crawl around in. Spaceship is ok with a few of the puzzles but I didn't like it as a glorified elevator between planets! I really don't like the bosses in this one, they all have the same circle strafe around them/dodge the charge strategy, and they're bullet sponges as well.

7) Metroid Prime Pinball. Yes, pinball! Probably one of my most played DS games, going for high scores and the awesome multiplayer stage with friends. Graphics look so crisp and the music ripped from Prime sells the concept so well. I always thought it made perfect sense to use Samus after pinball games using Kirby and Sonic!

8) Metroid 2. I only played this properly recently. All past attempts resulted in the B&W testing my patience too much, but since Samus Returns was on the way, i had to finish it! And i'm glad i did, it's a good game and not just a "Good for Gameboy" game. The scope is impressive, they dealt with the limitations well, it's fun if a little simple with the repeated Metroid fights, and it introduces a lot of series staples! I'm looking forward to it getting the Super Treatment though!

9) Metroid Other M. I guess the best i can say is, I don't mind this game. The story is stupid if you're paying attention but i just watched some pretty cutscenes, it doesn't really offend me. I wonder how it would have been received if it had no story at all? I liked Samus' movement and minute to minute shooting/dodging gameplay was enjoyable. It's a bit simple with auto aim and overpowered dodge, but I wouldn't want to aim manually, that's for sure! Some of the items are well hidden (I don't like many being behind end game again though!). The slow walking sections are insipid, the pixel hunts aren't that bad if a bit pointless. The world being gated off constantly is the biggest offense the game makes imo. That and the absolutely shocking minimap. It's not the 2.5D Metroid I wanted, but i can still play through this and have a decent time. It feels almost like the lost N64 Metroid, except made for PlayStation since it uses the dpad :D

10. Metroid. I tracked down a copy soon after i became infatuated with Super. But, to this day, I just can't get anywhere without diagonal aiming! I'm only getting older and more impatient but I swear i'll finish it one day!

The others, i haven't played except the demos for Hunters and Blast Ball. DS 3D sucks, and Ball held my interest for about 3 minutes!

Oh, we ranking?

1. Super Metroid - 10
2. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - 10
3. Metroid Prime - 10
4. Metroid: Zero Mission - 10
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 10
6. Metroid Fusion - 9.5
7. Metroid II: Return of Samus - 9
8. Metroid - 9
9. Metroid Prime Pinball - 8.5
10. Metroid: Other M - bad

1) Metroid 9/10: Very underrated title. The only thing keeping it back is the dumb password system. A problem easily rectified with save states in the Zero Mission, VC and NES mini version.

Apart from that a game I consider the best Metroid game. No dumb maps, hard as nails and still fun to play. Also doesn't do any of the dumb Super Missile and Power Bomb stuff that just means the game can throw extra locks at you.

2) Metroid: Zero Mission 9/10: the best iteration of the Super Metroid formula. Everything is streamlined into a gorgeous 2D game with fabulous sprite artwork, a great soundtrack and physics that feel logical and good. Everybody here is ragging on the stealth part of the game, but that part leads to the greatest moment of any Metroid title as you get fully powered-up and go mad with power as you vaporize everything in your way.

3) Metroid Prime 2 9/10: some bizarre choices made in this that create a unique Metroid game. The dark/light world has people comparing to Link to the Past. But whilst that may be mechanically true, the influence in terms of how the world looks and feels is reminiscent of The Dark Crystal. It gives us enemies unlike in any Metroid before or since and a civilisation that makes the universe feel bigger.

The Dark World gameplay is what makes the game though. At first a harsh climate where Samus is prey rather then hunter; as you progress through the game you learn to manipulate the environment to your advantage untill you can become the Hunter to the Ing's prey.

The boss fights in this one are some of the best boss fights ever. Holy shit that big ass whale/moth fight! Oh and bonus points for a surprisingly great multiplayer.

4) Metroid Prime 8/10: Up to Phendrana Drifts this game is great. Then, from the moment you enter the Phazon Mines, the game winds up losing steam very quickly. Everything up untill the Metroid Lab feels invigorating and new. A great way to get Metroid into the third dimension. Shame about the last third or so.

5) Super Metroid 8/10: I'm far more down on this then most. Whilst great in atmosphere and music, the rest just winds up feeling a bit clunky. The wall jumping in this is outright horrendous! The speed-booster, whilst a great idea, isn't really implemented very well apart from a few occasions and the Super Missile and Power Bomb just wind being extra keys to pad out the game some more. Every power-up in Metroid gave you this aha! moment. From the long beam, to the screw attack. Power-ups that changed the context of combat or the environment. Super is where the series starts adding power-ups for the sake of MOAR POWER! and I don't like it one bit.

Also: the scan visor is one of the most blatant instances of 'press A to win' i've ever seen. Anybody who wants to complain about easy modern Nintendo games should look at their beloved Super Metroid because that one started it!

Frankly, this being the holy text of the Metroidvania genre shows what problems those games have. Sorry, but it's how I feel. What saves the game are mainly its production values and the cool as fuck boss battles.

Runners-up:
AM2R
Fusion

What do you mean these are Metroid games?:
Other M
Federation Force

kunonabi

Metroid lists?

1. Super Metroid - Endlessly replayable, hits every note you want a Metroid game to hit

2. Metroid Prime - great translation of the more atmospheric elements but not quite so great at everything else, doesn't end super strongly.

3. Other M - Love the combat flow and all the ins and outs to it, was seeing something new every time I played for the first 5 or so playthroughs, game just sings once you have it down, really used the horror elements well, story is so-so and I still don't like the more linear style even if it did make sense for Other M and the bigger focus on the horror trappings and story.

4. Metroid - Atmosphere is still excellent and controls are still aces.

5. Return of Samus - Liked the upped difficulty, hunting the Metroids was a nice twist, climax was fantastic. GB limitations did hurt it though

6. Fusion - feels like a test run for Other M. Didn't like the linearity or earning power-ups from bosses, secrets were eh,

7. Echoes - Pretty but just a slog to get though.

8. Zero Mission - doesn't really add anything of value to the original and doesn't improve on Super either. Just kind of a nothing title and I was never a fan of how sequence breaking was handled.

9. Corruption - ugh, just poorly designed all the way through.

Don't really care to rank Hunters, Pinball or Fed Force.

Pinball would be number 7 if I did.

4. Metroid - Atmosphere is still excellent and controls are still aces.

The control was a little wack in the original.

Also, Zero Mission was leagues better in that department, not to mention the design no longer being super-repetitive.

1) Super Metroid - Most improved sequel. Ever. Everything from the exploration to the power-up progression to the use of said of powers was perfect. (Contrary to what HarMGM said, even the power-ups had extra context, from the wave beam's intangibility triggering switches from the other side of a wall.)
2) Metroid Prime - Slightly distant second (always preferred SM's zippiness), but was still pretty incredible.
3) Zero Mission - Far better realized retelling of the original.
4) Metroid Fusion - In some ways I've grown to appreciate its anti-Metroidness in how eventually its mission control structure goes off the rails.
5) Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
6) Metroid - An important starting point, but one cannot deny its flaws. Very little variation in powerups, as you mostly find missile packs; hard-to-control floatiness; lava that is mucky and hard to jump out of; and especially the copypasta corridors. I know memory limitations were a thing, but even so, anyone who applauds this game's design yet accuses Iga's handheld Metroidvanias of copy-paste is cuckoo.

Anybody know when the embargo ends?

I'm assuming the 12th since Nintendo seems to like Tuesday or at least that's what I've noticed when reviews tend to go up for their games.

There is a very good game buried under Other M, it just vanishes under the crappy story and strange decisions everytime you put the controller down. Part of the level design is still good, still Metroid. Sometimes it feels like the right evolution of the 2D games. But for the most part the game is full of contraddictions and if you compare it to the Prime games or Zero Mission... it's not even on the same league.

Toxi

Banned
There is a very good game buried under Other M, it just vanishes under the crappy story and strange decisions everytime you put the controller down. Part of the level design is still good, still Metroid. Sometimes it feels like the right evolution of the 2D games. But for the most part the game is full of contraddictions and if you compare it to the Prime games or Zero Mission... it's not even on the same league.
I think the controls aren't good. Using the Wii D-pad for 3D movement and platforming feels awkward, pointing the controller at the screen and having to align it correctly while the game stops feels awkward, spamming the D-pad to dodge and occasionally getting a lethal strike instead feels awkward. There. are numerous elements that are incredibly inconsistent, like the overblast. The first-person lock-on doesn't let you switch targets easily while locked-on like in the Metroid Prime games, so it's annoying when there are multiple targets and you lock onto the wrong one. Oh, and no camera control in third-person is really annoying in some rooms.

Other M feels like an early 3D action game, only it was released in 2010.

You don't often hear much these days about the 3D effect, but this one really has been getting many praises in just about all the previews I've seen and read.
I played Samus Returns twice at PAX last weekend, 3D in this game looks great. I'll definitely be playing with the slider cranked all the way up.

Fantastic gif. I'm sure we'll look back at this year as one of the best from Nintendo.

I think the controls aren't good. Using the Wii D-pad for 3D movement and platforming feels awkward, pointing the controller at the screen and having to align it correctly while the game stops feels awkward, spamming the D-pad to dodge and occasionally getting a lethal strike instead feels awkward. There. are numerous elements that are incredibly inconsistent, like the overblast. The first-person lock-on doesn't let you switch targets easily while locked-on like in the Metroid Prime games, so it's annoying when there are multiple targets and you lock onto the wrong one. Oh, and no camera control in third-person is really annoying in some rooms.

Other M feels like an early 3D action game, only it was released in 2010.

I didn't have much problems with the controls, but they should have let people decide if they wanted to use the nunchuck at least. The things I hate the most about the game are the "detective" parts and the artstyle/colors. That infamous Ridley scene wasn't even a problem to me at that point, I was already aware I wasn't playing the Metroid I hoped for. Only the "Sector Zero" tease had me thinking "maybe there's going to be an amazing ending!"... yeah right.
I still like some of the level design and the challenge that comes with hard mode.

13ruce

Banned
is this the first time we've seen the in game Omega Metroid? Looks like fusion still holds the cake but I like this one too

boss_omega.gif

I like the new one but the Fusion one is pretty darn badass too.

I love how the Metroid evolution line kinda feels like the Alien series/franchise in some ways. Sure facehuggers etc look different but still.

Mael

Goddamnit Metroid II can be brutal at times.
Zeta Metroid always somehow give me the worst time, more than Omega and even the Queen.
Hopefully this one is also balls to the wall hard not just in a hard mode without expansion mode like the lame hard mode of Other M.

The Big Three will rise once more.

It hasn't been since circa 2007 that we didn't have that level of quality from the 3 at the same time!
OT but I've got a bad feeling about Mario this time around though...

Mael

No because DKC3,DK64 and those terrible GameCube games exist for DK to be considered one of the big three. DK is pretty alright though maybe number 4.

If we're going this way, we can eject Zelda for close to a decade of middling sales, put SSB or Mario Kart instead.
Might as well kick Metroid after Other M too.
For what's worth DKC3 and DK64 reviewed and sold well. Heck they're better games too.
the Konga games are music games 1st and foremost, I don't know what people expected out of them but I don't think they're that bad.
I don't care about the EAD Tokyo one, it bored me.

Why? Odyssey looks great. I played the demo and it definitely was.

Probably because everything I've seen didn't feel like the player could solve problems in a creative way.
All the courses seemed like a more empty obstacle courses than 3D World with one note transformations that you only used once to be discarded afterward.
It's gorgeous and I don't doubt that it plays really well, it's Mario after all.
I just don't see it being that impressive after the Galaxy peaks and it looks certainly less fun to play than 2D Mario.
We'll see. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong though.
It's OT though.
tl;dr I have some reserve on the game, I'll still buy and play it.

sanstesy

No because DKC3,DK64 and those terrible GameCube games exist for DK to be considered one of the big three. DK is pretty alright though maybe number 4.

Yeah, he must've forgotten that DKC3, DK64 and Jungle Beat were all terribly received games. Meanwhile, Metroid has been swimming through pure gold with Other M and Federation Force recently!

I'm thinking about grabbing this game as I got a N3DS XL a few months ago and have never played Metroid II. I love the Prime games, though. Any recommendations for what to play before it releases?

VDenter

Banned
If we're going this way, we can eject Zelda for close to a decade of middling sales, put SSB or Mario Kart instead.
Might as well kick Metroid after Other M too.
For what's worth DKC3 and DK64 reviewed and sold well. Heck they're better games too.
the Konga games are music games 1st and foremost, I don't know what people expected out of them but I don't think they're that bad.
I don't care about the EAD Tokyo one, it bored me.

Its all subjective.

I mean yeah Zelda had a few misses but not enough for it to drop below the main three. There are way to many incredible games to count.

For Metroid i only consider Other M and FF not worth playing.

DK had two incredible games before falling into the dark age with DK64 and all the GameCube games. They were all terrible. Returns and TF were amazing but there has not been enough quality titles to justify DK. Seriously DK64 was the worst 3D platformer ever made unless you want to count Bubsy 3D.

As for Mario Kart. I consider that not to be a core franchise since well it is a Mario sub series. sales are saying otherwise of course but i am mainly talking about quality games.

Mael

Its all subjective.

I mean yeah Zelda had a few misses but not enough for it to drop below the main three. There are way to many incredible games to count.

For Metroid i only consider Other M and FF not worth playing.

It's going to cost me to verify that FF is really not worth playing I guess.
Multiplayer driven story games were a mistake...

DK had two incredible games before falling into the dark age with DK64 and all the GameCube games. They were all terrible. Returns and TF were amazing but there has not been enough quality titles to justify DK. Seriously DK64 was the worst 3D platformer ever made unless you want to count Bubsy 3D.

As for Mario Kart. I consider that not to be a core franchise since well it is a Mario sub series. sales are saying otherwise of course but i am mainly talking about quality games.

Let's just say I disagree on DK64 quite a bit.
It does what it's billed to do quite well. Whether or not that's worth doing is another thing entirely.
I certainly had more fun with it than with Sunshine.

Mario Kart is probably the most consistent quality wise Nintendo game since its inception.
It's extremely fun, it reviews well, it sells even better.
It's Nintendo biggest franchise right now and has been for more than 10 years.
If we're doing a big 2 Nintendo franchise of the last 10 years.
It's Mario Kart and then NSMB.
If you ask me they're also the best thing Nintendo released on WiiU and Wii (after that trilogy).

I'll add that if anything Donkey Konga was good enough to show Nintendo that alternative control schemes were worth pursuing.
It gave us the DS and the Wii. For that alone it's incredibly influential.
Jungle Beat is good enough to be worth playing and I don't think anyone who have played it would say the game is trash.

Top Bottom