• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

VDenter

Banned
Let's just say I disagree on DK64 quite a bit.
It does what it's billed to do quite well. Whether or not that's worth doing is another thing entirely.
I certainly had more fun with it than with Sunshine.

Mario Kart is probably the most consistent quality wise Nintendo game since its inception.
It's extremely fun, it reviews well, it sells even better.
It's Nintendo biggest franchise right now and has been for more than 10 years.
If we're doing a big 2 Nintendo franchise of the last 10 years.
It's Mario Kart and then NSMB.
If you ask me they're also the best thing Nintendo released on WiiU and Wii (after that trilogy).

I'll add that if anything Donkey Konga was good enough to show Nintendo that alternative control schemes were worth pursuing.
It gave us the DS and the Wii. For that alone it's incredibly influential.
Jungle Beat is good enough to be worth playing and I don't think anyone who have played it would say the game is trash.

Lets just say agree to disagree on Sunshine and DK64. If i did not borrow DK64 and payed full price for it back in the day it would probably be in my top 5 most hated games. I wont pretend that Sunshine is the best 3D Mario or anything but it was the most fun i had with a 3D platformer since Banjo Kazooie. DK64 was a chore list turned into a video game with no satisfying mechanics keeping it together. For me it is the Other M of DK games.

As for jungle beat its not bad per say but does not even begin to stack up to any of the DKC games. As far as mainline DK games go the N64 and Gamecube dropped the ball heavily on that series. It is a bit funny that Jungle beat received a kind of a similar reaction to the one Federation Force received. Metroid and DK have allot in common actually. In terms of how both I.Ps were handled.

MK i do not think was ever a great franchise until DS and i my opinion has only gotten better since. MK64 looked embarrassing when compared to something like Crash Team Racing back in the day. Sales wise yeah MK is untouchable.

Ridley327

Slader and libel against Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is not only intolerable, but it is to be met with genital shock treatment as a minimum punishment.

BTW, any OT title suggestions yet? I've got a simple yet profound suggestion:

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| The Return of Samus

VDenter

Banned
Slader and libel against Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat is not only intolerable, but it is to be met with genital shock treatment as a minimum punishment.

How much more perfect can you get than this?

It hasn't been since circa 2007 that we didn't have that level of quality from the 3 at the same time!
OT but I've got a bad feeling about Mario this time around though...
At this point that's the most irrational thing I heard in a while. And we just had a guy think Nintendo was making a phone.

TheMoon

I never listen to subtitle suggestions anyway. Makes it more fun when everyone gets mad at the end :)

Samus was never in the Big Three, you must mean Donkey Kong.
Mario, Zelda, and Metroid were the conventional Big Three classical franchises when Donkey Kong had an extended mainstay absence in the GameCube and Wii era while Metroid made an enormous comeback, when he was relegated to Spin-off territory before Retro made Returns. This is more what I meant.

(If it were up to me, I'd make Splatoon the new big third)

13ruce

Banned
Mario, Zelda, and Metroid were the conventional Big Three classical franchises when Donkey Kong had an extended mainstay absence in the GameCube and Wii era while Metroid made an enormous comeback, when he was relegated to Spin-off territory before Retro made Returns. This is more what I meant.

I agree with your last sentence:p Sorry Samus.... Fun fact i did actually consider a Samus tattoo but replaced that idea with Squid Sisters and Marina.

yuoke

Banned

If it was just off proportional sales, animal crossing would be there.

If it was just off proportional sales, animal crossing would be there.
Yeah no if we were just talking sales it's Mario, Pokémon, Animal Crossing. The concept of the Big Three was never about the most profitable, but the most focused franchises of Nintendo, the ones that received the bigger budgets relative to others. And that was Metroid once upon a time. Sure the 3DS game is not a big budget entry, but Prime 4 will probably be.

Ridley327

The whole "big three" thing that included Metroid always struck me as a Gamecube-era invention than anything with real historical prominence on Nintendo's previous hardware. They've always had other series that sold quite a bit better than Metroid has.

Mael

Lets just say agree to disagree on Sunshine and DK64. If i did not borrow DK64 and payed full price for it back in the day it would probably be in my top 5 most hated games. I wont pretend that Sunshine is the best 3D Mario or anything but it was the most fun i had with a 3D platformer since Banjo Kazooie. DK64 was a chore list turned into a video game with no satisfying mechanics keeping it together. For me it is the Other M of DK games.
I paid it full price a mere month after JFG at a time I don't think I had the means to spare for it, even got a 2nd expansion pack for no reason thanks to the game.
It's not a DK64 thread but I'll say that the mission based design of 64 was broken in Sunshine for no reason and DK64 instead chosed a more freeform of gameplay that's more about exploring the areas to find the next challenge to tackle.
It's very open (some would say far too much) and the challenges are quite fun to tackle although it is overwhelming at times.
I probably would hate the game if the bosses and the music were subpar.
It's by no mean the best n64 Rare game (it's way below GOAT JetForceGemini and the fantastic BadFurday) but it's certainly fun.
It's full to the brim with content and nice callbacks to the SNES games. It should have needed to cut on some content that was going way overboard.
They should have cut on the mandatory content, put different endings and make the last part before the last boss a real level.
I guess if you feel as strongly about DK64 as I do for Other M I won't convince you here.

As for jungle beat its not bad per say but does not even begin to stack up to any of the DKC games. As far as mainline DK games go the N64 and Gamecube dropped the ball heavily on that series. It is a bit funny that Jungle beat received a kind of a similar reaction to the one Federation Force received. Metroid and DK have allot in common actually. In terms of how both I.Ps were handled.
As I said, I don't really care about JB. But while I don't doubt that the GC DK games were that interesting compared to the SNES ones they're still fairly competent.
From I've seen they didn't do that badly either.
It's not a StarFox situation that went to shit quite quickly.

MK i do not think was ever a great franchise until DS and i my opinion has only gotten better since. MK64 looked embarrassing when compared to something like Crash Team Racing back in the day. Sales wise yeah MK is untouchable.

SMK is one of my fav SNES game ever, among the greatest like SMRPG, Yoshi's Island and co.
MK64 was disappointing and DD was only worth it for the fact that it got me the zelda collection disc.
Every single MK after that is golden.
I got my DS with MK DS and expected to hate it. It's fabulous, the retro tracks were awesome, the music fantastic, the only downside was the online that was shit if you didn't snake.
MKWii, 7, 8 and 8D are the best racers made this side of FzeroX.
MK is at a place right now that I wish 3D Mario, Metroid and Zelda (before BotW) would be. And I mean quality wise.

[/B]
How much more perfect can you get than this?
See we can agree on things!
At this point that's the most irrational thing I heard in a while. And we just had a guy think Nintendo was making a phone.
I'm not saying it's gonna be shit, I'm saying it's not gonna be for me.
I doubt it's gonna do BotW level too because 3D Mario never did anyway and I don't this one doing anything differently.

I still can't believe that we're getting a new Metroid game in a week, I wasn't too excited until the last week or so with previews and bits of the soundtrack coming out and it really started to sink in, now my hype level is an 11/10.

TheMoon

The whole "big three" thing that included Metroid always struck me as a Gamecube-era invention than anything with real historical prominence on Nintendo's previous hardware. They've always had other series that sold quite a bit better than Metroid has.

it's "I grew up on NES/SNES" era thinking and symptom of generally being attracted to the conventional singular-hero based franchises in traditional gameplay molds. got nothing to do with sales.

Mael

it's "I grew up on NES/SNES" era thinking and symptom of generally being attracted to the conventional singular-hero based franchises in traditional gameplay molds. got nothing to do with sales.

Metroid is only there because Nintendo pushed Metroid Prime so heavily though.
Center spot of e3 and all that.
It was just that quirky platformer with niche appeal before.
Fantastic games that were feeling a void in the library of the system they were in.
If Retro did Kid Icarus instead of Metroid we would be in a very different discussion :lol

TheMoon

Metroid is only there because Nintendo pushed Metroid Prime so heavily though.
Center spot of e3 and all that.
It was just that quirky platformer with niche appeal before.
Fantastic games that were feeling a void in the library of the system they were in.
If Retro did Kid Icarus instead of Metroid we would be in a very different discussion :lol

Disgree, I come from that SNES generation. I grew up with Mario x Zelda x Metroid. Was gutted when there was no Metroid on N64 as something felt missing. I knew MZM was on NES before so those three were basically the Triforce of Nintendo icons back then already.

I have a huge problem with this as a lot of the oldschool fans have gone on to shun most things that don't fit that classic mold and scoffed at the newer and quirkier games and only the Marios, the Metroids, the Zeldas get the big spotlight.

Kindekuma

Banned
ONE MORE WEEK!
SEvK1eE.jpg

Ridley327

I dunno, I grew up on the NES/SNES and I never thought to myself that Metroid was ever one of their hottest tickets, and that comes from someone that puts Super Metroid in their all-time top 10. It always seemed like that when Prime was coming together, Nintendo smartly attached themselves to the growing popularity of FPSs at that time to help sell the game to a much bigger audience than it would have had if it was a more traditional installment. Heck, I even remember going "huh" at the cover that E3 put together for the E3 that year that proclaimed Prime, Sunshine and Wind Waker as "Miyamoto's Angels" or something along those lines. Like, when did this series get so big?

Mael

Disgree, I come from that SNES generation. I grew up with Mario x Zelda x Metroid. Was gutted when there was no Metroid on N64 as something felt missing. I knew MZM was on NES before so those three were basically the Triforce of Nintendo icons back then already.

I have a huge problem with this as a lot of the oldschool fans have gone on to shun most things that don't fit that classic mold and scoffed at the newer and quirkier games and only the Marios, the Metroids, the Zeldas get the big spotlight.

Looking at sales numbers for quite a bit of people Metroid meant nothing and less at the time.
Looking at past e3, they pushed StarFox (that was LasVegas, right), they pushed Zelda (and of course Mario duh). But Super Metroid really just came out without that much fanfare.
Heck Metroid II being on a handheld released like that is pretty telling.
For Nintendo, Mario and Zelda were the tentpole about everything.
Metroid was never there before Prime.

Heck can't find Super Metroid at CES 1992 or 1993
I'm talking about how Nintendo market the games btw.
They pushed Donkey Kong, 3rd parties like Street Figher 2, Secret of Mana or Contra more than they ever pushed Super Metroid.

the fact that the 1st time they ever bundled a Metroid game with a system was Metroid Prime is pretty telling too.

You're absolutely right about how people tend to "forget" about all the other games Nintendo make.
Animal Crossing nearly passed under the radar before it exploded on DS.
Heck if they hadn't advertised that the people behind Splatoon were the A team, you would still hear people wondering if it's really the "new" big Nintendo IP.

TheMoon

I dunno, I grew up on the NES/SNES and I never thought to myself that Metroid was ever one of their hottest tickets, and that comes from someone that puts Super Metroid in their all-time top 10. It always seemed like that when Prime was coming together, Nintendo smartly attached themselves to the growing popularity of FPSs at that time to help sell the game to a much bigger audience than it would have had if it was a more traditional installment. Heck, I even remember going "huh" at the cover that E3 put together for the E3 that year that proclaimed Prime, Sunshine and Wind Waker as "Miyamoto's Angels" or something along those lines. Like, when did this series get so big?

I guess you got a point then. I tuned out of console gaming during the GCN gen for the most part so all the media hype completely flew by me.

Looking at sales numbers for quite a bit of people Metroid meant nothing and less at the time.
Looking at past e3, they pushed StarFox (that was LasVegas, right), they pushed Zelda (and of course Mario duh). But Super Metroid really just came out without that much fanfare.
Heck Metroid II being on a handheld released like that is pretty telling.
For Nintendo, Mario and Zelda were the tentpole about everything.
Metroid was never there before Prime.
I'm talking about how Nintendo market the games btw.
They pushed Donkey Kong, 3rd parties like Street Figher 2, Secret of Mana or Contra more than they ever pushed Super Metroid.

Curious: you're from NA?

Super felt like a big deal here in Germany, with its big box packaging that included the Club Nintendo (Nintendo Power equivalent) guide.

Mael

Curious: you're from NA?

Super felt like a big deal here in Germany, with its big box packaging that included the Club Nintendo (Nintendo Power equivalent) guide.

I'm from France, neighbor!
SNES wasn't that popular in the CEE at the time but they did make the special packaging with the walkthrough inside that they usually did for the most complex games.
Secret of Mana, Illusion of Time, Terranigma and Super Metroid are the few that had this special treatment.
I don't think they did that because they expected the games to be popular as Mario games and Zelda never had that.
It's just that they deemed the game so complicated that the added value of the included guide would entice people to buy it (and it did, that's how we got it after all!).
I followed the gaming media as much as I could at the time and Super Metroid got rave reviews and was the highlight of the month it was released in magazines.
It also dropped without warning or without Nintendo pushing it at trade shows like Link's Awakening, Starfox, Super Mario Kart or whatever Super Scope 6 they were trying to make happen..

Heck compare CES 1992 or 1993 with e3 2002.
Metroid is nowhere to be seen in 92/93 and it's the centerpiece of their e3 in 2002!

13ruce

Banned
Is there even a "Big Three" anymore? Even with the critical successes of Zelda and Metroid, I think Nintendo's been more of a "Big Two" company for the past 20 years with Mario and Pokemon leading sales well ahead of everything else.

Zelda is back thanks to Breath of the Wild and there is Animal Crossing and Splatoon wich are also pretty huge.

So big five i guess:p no six i forgot Smash....

Feffe

It's big three if you are from the NES/SNES era.
For the N64/GCN/lateGB generation the "big three" Nintendo franchise are, uhm, Mario, Zelda and Pokémon. And Smash.
IG you ask an even younger person, they might mention Kirby (at least here in Europe), maybe Xenoblade if they are into hardcore games.
Nowadays I would say the big, most recognizable Nintendo franchises are Mario, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Splatoon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. If Nintendo plays their cards well Metroid could return to its former A status

Sterok

When I call Mario/Zelda/Metroid the big 3, it's not about sales or recognition. It's about being in a similar space. They're all single-player adventures that originated on the NES and have gone on to have some of Nintendo's best games on most of their systems, particularly the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gameboy, Gamecube, and Wii. It's a legacy thing more than anything else.

Is there even a "Big Three" anymore? Even with the critical successes of Zelda and Metroid, I think Nintendo's been more of a "Big Two" company for the past 20 years with Mario and Pokemon leading sales well ahead of everything else.
Then we will call them: The Seven Samurai

Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, Kirby, Donkey Kong.

[Kirby's consistent million sales give him a position with the big boys, To be fair to DK, Splatoon would have to exist for a little longer.]

Metroid is sometimes gone for so many years at a time that I forget that, before Zelda became my GOAT series thanks to OoT, I used to like Metroid way more due to Super Metroid alone.

TheMoon

I'm from France, neighbor!
SNES wasn't that popular in the CEE at the time but they did make the special packaging with the walkthrough inside that they usually did for the most complex games.
Secret of Mana, Illusion of Time, Terranigma and Super Metroid are the few that had this special treatment.
I don't think they did that because they expected the games to be popular as Mario games and Zelda never had that.
It's just that they deemed the game so complicated that the added value of the included guide would entice people to buy it (and it did, that's how we got it after all!).
I followed the gaming media as much as I could at the time and Super Metroid got rave reviews and was the highlight of the month it was released in magazines.
It also dropped without warning or without Nintendo pushing it at trade shows like Link's Awakening, Starfox, Super Mario Kart or whatever Super Scope 6 they were trying to make happen..

Heck compare CES 1992 or 1993 with e3 2002.
Metroid is nowhere to be seen in 92/93 and it's the centerpiece of their e3 in 2002!

Hmm odd. It must've had that impression on my all that time due to Samus appearing in fan art, etc so frequently. Club Nintendo Magazine had lots of comics/art in it.

there's no such thing right now, no.

When I call Mario/Zelda/Metroid the big 3, it's not about sales or recognition. It's about being in a similar space. They're all single-player adventures that originated on the NES and have gone on to have some of Nintendo's best games on most of their systems, particularly the SNES, and to a lesser extent the Gameboy, Gamecube, and Wii. It's a legacy thing more than anything else.

yea that's sort of what I meant to say, too.

yuoke

Banned
Metroid is sometimes gone for so many years at a time that I forget that, before Zelda became my GOAT series thanks to OoT, I used to like Metroid way more due to Super Metroid alone.
Given your avatar and name I would have assumed metroid is your favorite.

Mael

This is actually a good definition I feel.
It also helps that Metroid always felt like Zelda but as a sidescroller too.
Hmm odd. It must've had that impression on my all that time due to Samus appearing in fan art, etc so frequently. Club Nintendo Magazine had lots of comics/art in it.

I'm not saying it wasn't popular.
We don't have sales number from the EU at the time (and the DS/Wii perf lead me to think that Nintendo wasn't doing too hot outside of Germany/France).
We didn't get a real Nintendo magazine till the n64, the spots were filled by various other publications with a Nintendo centric reporting.
My fav one probably being Nintendo Player

I even found the one where they talk about Super Metroid!
I could make more research later but I don't think I've seen any magazines where Super Metroid was deemed cover material.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly i find it hard to just select 1 most favorite game franchise i would probably put like 20 games/franchises on the first place already....

Metroid sure is one of those.

TheMoon

I'm not saying it wasn't popular.
We don't have sales number from the EU at the time (and the DS/Wii perf lead me to think that Nintendo wasn't doing too hot outside of Germany/France).
We didn't get a real Nintendo magazine till the n64, the spots were filled by various other publications with a Nintendo centric reporting.
My fav one probably being Nintendo Player

I even found the one where they talk about Super Metroid!

I could make more research later but I don't think I've seen any magazines where Super Metroid was deemed cover material.

oh god what happened with my grammar in that post lol

you made me dig up my old Club Nintendo magazines

Super Metroid was heavily featured from Spring-Summer across three issues (April, June, August 1994). I love how they casually spoil Mother Brain's fight and all the bosses. :D

oh god what happened with my grammar in that post lol

you made me dig up my old Club Nintendo magazines

Super Metroid was heavily featured from Spring-Summer across three issues (April, June, August 1994). I love how they casually spoil Mother Brain's fight and all the bosses. :D
Man, I miss these

Top Bottom