• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

MoonFrog

Guys and gals...

Guys and gals!!

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time ever, despite being a Nintendo diehard and a Metroid fan for 15 years

The deed is done
I imagine it was relevatory and completely and utterly sublime. You encountered the transmundane.

Guys and gals...

Guys and gals!!

I just played through Super Metroid for the first time ever, despite being a Nintendo diehard and a Metroid fan for 15 years

The deed is done

First time I did was around 2013 and was shocked at how well it held up. Best SNES game IMO. No 2D Metroid game has had anywhere near the atmosphere of Super and I don't know why. Hopefully this one has some cool art.

Kindekuma

Banned
Guys and gals...

Guys and gals!!

The deed is done

I did the same thing like 2 months ago. I've only gotten so far but got distracted with other games and never fully finished it. Then one day I decided I was gonna sit down, and not go to sleep until I finished it. After like 4 straight hours, I was done.

10/10 would do again

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| Here's your fucking Metroid.

Gee+reggie+2+metroid+games_473eb5_6305745.gif

Gee_41463d_6305745.gif

Gee_9ac59a_6305745.gif

Gee_0b0152_6305745.gif

Gee_61598a_6305745.gif

Gee_2b5d08_6305745.gif
Immediately he destroys your house.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm still pretty bummed this isn't ported to the Switch. Mainly because it means my dumb arse is gonna pre-order a Metroid 3DSXL just so I can play.

Cindro

I imagine it was relevatory and completely and utterly sublime. You encountered the transmundane.

First time I did was around 2013 and was shocked at how well it held up. Best SNES game IMO. No 2D Metroid game has had anywhere near the atmosphere of Super and I don't know why. Hopefully this one has some cool art.

Congratulations and welcome to our sad reality where no other game is nearly as good and you'll never relive this moment.

I did the same thing like 2 months ago. I've only gotten so far but got distracted with other games and never fully finished it. Then one day I decided I was gonna sit down, and not go to sleep until I finished it. After like 4 straight hours, I was done.

10/10 would do again

It's supremely difficult for me to encapsulate my feelings on the game.

First and foremost, I really struggled with the controls. The timing and inputs for wall jumps, space jumps, grappling, weapon switching, and Samus' floaty physics screwed me over countless times during my playthrough. I constantly felt like I was battling the controller, so there was this constant undercurrent of frustration and immersion-breaking throughout almost the entire experience for me. And the fact that the white dots on the map don't distinguish between upgrades yet to claim vs. upgrades already found led to some soul-crushing tedium as I made several pointless backtracking trips in service of nothing throughout my run.

Here's another opinion that may not be so mainstream: As I *love* Zero Mission, Fusion, and Prime 1, I never really have fun playing Metroid games. However, this is far from a detriment. The environment is oppressive, the world is intricate and confusing, certain setpiece battles are frustrating, and the entire experience is supremely isolating. But these facts actually work in the series' favor, because it's a wonderful mimic for what Samus must be feeling. Metroid is always a series I enjoy thinking about after the fact more than I enjoy playing in the moment, and that's a wonderfully unique quality of the games.

But taking my inherent stress-levels when playing any given Metroid game and combining them with Super Metroid's finicky controls put a whole new negative twist on the experience, one that disheartened me multiple times through my playthrough.

ALL OF THAT BEING SAID:

Holy god will I fist-fight anyone who ever argues Super Metroid is anything less than one of the top ten masterpieces in the entire medium of games.

The design is impeccably genius. This isn't hyperbole. The net sum of the work each team member contributed to is literally in the upper echelon of human accomplishment. The gaming equivalent of Citizen Kane, War and Peace, or Chopin's Nocturnes.

Zebes is impossibly complex while still being logical, cohesive, and spatially sound. The sprite work and overall aesthetic is enlightenment-tier (which is higher than god-tier, just to be clear) - combining a wild cocktail of detail, color, creativity, and mystery into a violent cauldron of ancient decay.

The sound design and music is pitch-perfect; disturbing, desolate, and melancholy all at once.

The atmospheric storytelling is second to none.

The power progression is insane, and reminds me of a helluva lot of a more recent cultural touchstone: Breath of the Wild.

The evolution of the player's perception of danger in Breath of the Wild is one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had in gaming. Link starts off nearly naked and defenseless, with your ultimate goal of storming Ganon's demonic twist on Hyrule Castle constantly taunting you from almost anywhere on the map. The Calamity's fortress is deliberately placed in the center of the world, so it can perpetually loom over the player... and the difference between the fear you feel when seeing it at the beginning of the game vs. the rebellious rage you experience when you dismantling Ganon's forces at the end is a perfect mirror for Samus' relationship to Zebes.

You start Super Metroid disadvantaged, but determined. You end it as an entity capable of committing planetary genocide from the inside-out.

And don't even get me started on the myriad of Metroid's invisible tutorials and wordless path-guiding. They're the epitome of mind control, giving the player the illusion of agency despite being deliberate experiences so well-crafted you'll never know you're being led by the bridle. It's essentially a far more nuanced and sophisticated "Would you kindly" philosophy; the difference being that "Would you kindly" is revealed as a huge plot twist in Bioshock, whereas I'm confident hundreds of thousands of people who experienced Super Metroid never figured out that the designers were playing them like a beautifully-tuned fiddle.

Yes, I found Super Metroid far more frustrating to play than Zero Mission, Fusion, or any of the Prime games. And yes, I'd pay $300 or more a Super Metroid remake where the only improvements are refined controls and more specific map designations.

But neither of those misgivings tarnish what Super Metroid is. It's not just as an achievement in gaming; it's an achievement of our species.

Super Metroid is the most profound example of "games as art" I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. It's a miracle of the human mind that it even exists.

And I can't wait to play it again on my big screen when I get my SNES Classic \m/

Jombie

I recently bought my niece's 3ds XL, upgrading from my fossilized original model and I'm really excited to play this.

I'm still pretty bummed this isn't ported to the Switch. Mainly because it means my dumb arse is gonna pre-order a Metroid 3DSXL just so I can play.

You and me both, even worse I sense that you are joking about the SE xl, but I am apparently of a weak soul and have that model preordered for next Friday...

Guys and gals...

Guys and gals!!

The deed is done
Same when I played it on the Wii VC when it came out.
I was a Genesis kid back in the day, so I missed out on a lot of SNES stuff.

Certainly enjoyed it.

Are there any control options for entering morph ball?

It was a good game.

I'm serious and I realize I'm an extreme outlier on that.

It was good.

It was also had no true control options, some undercooked levels, fewer full levels than 64, poor branching paths and no vs. multiplayer

Another experimental, flawed, yet promising entry that needs a sequel to refine what it did that won't get one.

Nightii

Banned
|OT| The Galaxy is at Peace

but seriously, this game is a great thing to happen, maybe the OT shouldn't be some snark ass joke about Nintendo not giving you what you want...

Let's name the OT something celebratory, not something that's negative. This game is looking great and we should be happy, not complaining about it not being on Switch.

13ruce

Banned
get them tissues ready!
Please don't be as bad as those Splatoon 2 OT titles.....after 13 years of waiting for official 2d Metroid and 7 for proper Metroid we deserve a glorious title.
i forgive whoever made those Splatoon 2 ones but i won't forgive a screwed up Return of Metroid OT title tho!

Top Bottom