• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Samus Returns previews and New 3DS XL edition revealed

RootCause

The fact that people buy multiple 3DS systems because they each have a different graphic printed on it will never not be crazy for me.
Well, some people are jumping from the og, or xl versions. Which would be more than a fresh coat of paint. :p

I went from aqua 3ds to ALBW xl, then MMN3DS.
But I'll admit I'm dying to get this. Might sell the aqua 3ds for $75 or something to feel less guilty. :p

The fact that people buy multiple 3DS systems because they each have a different graphic printed on it will never not be crazy for me.

Haha and it totally is crazy if you aren't as enthusiastic about it, or you don't have the disposable cash for it. I frequent the comic OT and folks there put down $150-200 regularly for pages or commissions off artists, even just statues. So buying a new 3ds every 2 years, even every year is extremely small fish for some enthusiasts. Just depends what your passion is I guess!

RagnarokX

A nice detail is the spider ball room:
yYCCtY6.jpg

In the original game and AM2R the upgrade is just sitting in this crevice for no apparent reason.

In Samus Returns there is a chozo statue in the room, implying the upgrade fell from it and rolled into the crevice.

RootCause

yYCCtY6.jpg

In the original game and AM2R the upgrade is just sitting in this crevice for no apparent reason.

In Samus Returns there is a chozo statue in the room, implying the upgrade fell from it and rolled into the crevice.
That's pretty cool.

yYCCtY6.jpg

Things like this and the sound/effects really have me hyped for this game. When I first saw the videos I was turned off by the art direction but it really has grown on me.

Drewboy64

Ugh god, I want it, but I dont want to shell out money for a handheld that will pretty much be dead to me after I play Metroid

Toxi

Banned
yYCCtY6.jpg

I noticed this too. I remember something like this in Zero Mission, but I forgot exactly where.

tesqui

The graphics still look kind of off. Everything is weirdly angular.

I can't help but think this game would look way better graphics and art wise if it was being developed in house.

Regardless, the gameplay and exploration sounds promising.

Realeza

Banned

I can't help but think this game would look way better graphics and art wise if it was being developed in house.

Everybody who has played it says the game look amazing, both on a technical -- 3DS standards -- and art-direction level.

nynt9

I'm really skeptical about free aiming in this. It fundamentally changes the pace of the game, as now you go from the decision loop of "shoot or jump+shoot or diagonal shoot" to having to nail a precise angle on a shot. Feels like a lot more shots will be missed as a result. It doesn't sound like s huge deal, but it could significantly affect level design. I just have this feeling that the level design in this game won't be as tight as your regular metroid games. It will probably be at least a decent game but I'm unconvinced if it will retain the identity of the series.

yuoke

Banned

Regardless, the gameplay and exploration sounds promising.
I can't see it looking any better by 3ds standards honestly. To me it looks way better than something like a link between worlds.

Toxi

Banned
I'm really skeptical about free aiming in this. It fundamentally changes the pace of the game, as now you go from the decision loop of "shoot or jump+shoot or diagonal shoot" to having to nail a precise angle on a shot. Feels like a lot more shots will be missed as a result. It doesn't sound like s huge deal, but it could significantly affect level design. I just have this feeling that the level design in this game won't be as tight as your regular metroid games. It will probably be at least a decent game but I'm unconvinced if it will retain the identity of the series.
You can angle shots while moving like in previous games. Free-aim just gives more precision.

13ruce

Banned
I can't see it looking any better by 3ds standards honestly. To me it looks way better than something like a link between worlds.

The backgrounds look amazin imo in Samus Returns and the graphics look fine to me.
And yeah agreed i would say it even looks better than Bloodstained so far.

Ps i love your new avatar.

kc44135

This looks like it's shaping up to be a great game, and it's great that 2D Metroid is back. I just wish it wasn't on 3DS. It looks so ugly... :(

nynt9

You can angle shots while moving like in previous games. Free-aim just gives more precision.

I know you can, but that's beside my point. Free aim increases the mental complexity of the aiming process. It also doesn't require you to jump-shoot in a particular way to hit targets that aren't exactly in your line of fire. Now you can just shoot anything while on the ground. I'm just saying that's a fundamentally different gameplay dynamic.

I made this diagram (sorry for rushed shitty MS paint imagery):

In classic metroid, you have a few discrete aiming possibilities (I forgot the straight lines as you jump up in classic). In Samus Returns you basically can aim in the entire sphere around your character. So the positioning requirements that discrete aiming enforces are no longer there. This makes the run-jump-shoot loop fundamentally different. Imagine if the classic Mega Man games had free aiming. They'd be a lot less interesting.

Pretty much every single preview has mentioned the game looks fantastic, even those who were initially skeptical on 2.5D and we know 3DS games look hideous in screens and blown up videos almost every time. Looks fine to me though.

And it's balanced well because free aim is only possible while standing still. It's not going to dramatically change the way the game plays but it will fix the flaws of diagonal aiming.

I could see some interesting battles scenarios where you decide whether you want to trade mobility for better precision or vice versa.

Croc

Banned
I know you can, but that's beside my point. Free aim increases the mental complexity of the aiming process. It also doesn't require you to jump-shoot in a particular way to hit targets that aren't exactly in your line of fire. Now you can just shoot anything while on the ground. I'm just saying that's a fundamentally different gameplay dynamic.

I made this diagram (sorry for rushed shitty MS paint imagery):

In classic metroid, you have a few discrete aiming possibilities (I forgot the straight lines as you jump up in classic). In Samus Returns you basically can aim in the entire sphere around your character. So the positioning requirements that discrete aiming enforces are no longer there. This makes the run-jump-shoot loop fundamentally different. Imagine if the classic Mega Man games had free aiming. They'd be a lot less interesting.

As far as I'm concerned this is a huge improvement, especially for a M2 remake. Fighting the metroids that could fly all around you while only being able to shoot in a few directions was incredibly frustrating at best. Playing M2 I never felt like a metroid fight was hard because it was designed well around being hard but because the controls were holding me back from doing what I wanted to.

yuoke

Banned
As far as I'm concerned this is a huge improvement, especially for a M2 remake. Fighting the metroids that could fly all around you while only being able to shoot in a few directions was incredibly frustrating at best. Playing M2 I never felt like a metroid fight was hard because it was designed well around being hard but because the controls were holding me back from doing what I wanted to.

I agree, and I'm honestly open to things like this that potentially can improve the series, without changing it drastically or completely.

I'm pretty much on media blackout so I haven't been watching any footage. But has it been confirmed whether or not there are save rooms? I read something about only checkpoints the other day, really hoping that's not true.

yYCCtY6.jpg

non-specific-action-figure-approves.png

This really helps me have faith in this remake, can't wait!

I really hope I can preorder this when I get paid on the 25th. My current 3ds is fucked because my gf accidently knocked a ton of nail vanish onto my 3ds so this is the perfect reason for me to get a New 3DS XL.

I really, really hope there's still a way to preorder it in UK by then. I at least hope there's somewhere that doesn't take the money out right away.

Ugh... I really want this XL. But I already own TWO New 3DS systems; the animal crossing happy home designer bundle and the black mario edition from black friday 2016. Not to mention I have a dozen different faceplates. Then I also have the Majora's Mask XL.

elohel

Still crackin up at that eBay edition lol

Truthfully though the special edition 3ds hadn't been too tough to get

Ugh... I really want this XL. But I already own TWO New 3DS systems; the animal crossing happy home designer bundle and the black mario edition from black friday 2016. Not to mention I have a dozen different faceplates. Then I also have the Majora's Mask XL.

You need to get this to even out the number of XL to non XL ratio...

That's how I justify things.

Getting super hyped for this release.

Have this preordered but need to decide between this console or a hyrule edition as I don't currently own a 3ds

This 3DS design looks ugly.

I'll pass. I already have

New 3DS XL
Black Mario New 3DS from black Friday last year
2DS

Might just score a couple used but good shape LE 3DS systems nearby.

Top Bottom