• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Samus Returns previews and New 3DS XL edition revealed

Still don't have a New 3DS model, maybe I'll pick this up
though I know I'll miss the preorders
. Shame I could never get a regular sized one at a decent price. Will be hard to retire my ALBW XL as my main model though.

RootCause

Man, this game sounds so promising! I have the original 2DS hopefully that doesn't degrade the experience.
You'd be missing out on the 3D(not much imo). Everything else should be the same, unless I'm missing something. I'll be playing mine in 2d, even though I've got a 3ds. Just never took a liking to it. :p

So what are Nintendo's "Select Retailers?" I really want one of these, but I only have a Walmart and GameStop in my immediate area. Will I be able to get it at either of those places?

Astral Dog

The last time Nintendo/NoA gave this kind of treatment to one of their less popular franchises was with Fire Emblem Awakening and it turned into an "A"-level franchise for them. Wonder if the same thing will happen with Metroid.
No

I'm slowly convincing myself to get a 3DS again, but I'm guessing this will retail for $199... The design is great, but I'm also expecting the 2DS XL to hit $100 on Black Friday this year. Might just wait for that and play the game on my friend's 3DS in the meantime.

Goddamnit Nintendo. Why do you convince me to do things like this?

That's neat, shame it's a vinyl. Wish this was an actual faceplate.

I'm sorry I linked to a skin, you're right. After looking, it looks like Nintendo probably told Etsy they can't allow people to produce their own custom faceplates. Because that's what I saw a few months ago. You could literally send the guy an idea and he would turn it into a $30 3D printed faceplate...

C'mon Nintendo. We've been over this before. For years. Come on. This isn't hard.

BOwMUyd.jpg

C'mon Nintendo. We’ve been over this before. For years. Come on. This isn’t hard.

BOwMUyd.jpg

I've never quite understood this debate, as neither option seems ideal to me. The design they went with looks nice while the system is closed, but it does appear upside-down while open. The option you propose looks nice whilst it's open, but only if you're holding your 3DS mostly vertical instead of horizontally.

TheYanger

I've never quite understood this debate, as neither option seems ideal to me. The design they went with looks nice while the system is closed, but it does appear upside-down while open. The option you propose looks nice whilst it's open, but only if you're holding your 3DS mostly vertical instead of horizontally.

When it's closed you can hold it either way, so it doesn't matter which way they go for that, and when it's open you're only holding it one way or you're upside down.

jennetics

I guess I'm in the minority because I think it looks bland as hell. Also, I would've much rather had a 2DS XL version instead of the 3DS. 3DS XL just seems clunky in comparison now.

Neiteio

are you unable to rotate your system while its closed?
When it's closed, the hinge is the top and the cameras are at the bottom. Doesn't matter if I rotate it, it'll still look wrong if the image isn't aligned correctly with the hinge and cameras. So I prefer the way they have it now, where it looks correct when closed.

Opa-Pa

Looks pretty bad to me, but the mere fact that it exists in my timeline is crazy amazing to me. I love that Nintendo is actually trying to push a Metroid game again.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Why announce it and then make it unavailable to pre-order anywhere? Nintendo gonna Nintendo I guess.

13ruce

Banned
Well, you don't see this side while playing and when closed the 'incorrect' design actually makes sense.

Actually that's kinda like putting a tattoo on your under arm facing towards you.

But yeah same on my old Kyogre gameboy sp.
It fit's on a clamshell design since it would look weird when it's closed.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Very few 3ds games play in portrait mode. BOTH look good closed and second looks better charging. So yeah

TrojanAg

I'll wait for Amazon to go live. Don't really want to deal with GS. I still only have an OG 3DS so I think I should upgrade mine.

C'mon Nintendo. We’ve been over this before. For years. Come on. This isn’t hard.

BOwMUyd.jpg

THIS!

I'm using the charging dock partly to show off the system. The New3ds with the Mario Maker shell looks amazing sitting in that thing. This will just look goofy in its dock

Novocaine

If you put it in the official charging cradle Samus will be upside down.

KodaRuss

I went ahead and preordered the gamestop one but Ill probably cancel it in favor of Amazon or Best Buy if I can get one.

Love it. Not gonna try and get it since I already have a New 3DS, but I'm happy that Nintendo is really pushing the Metroid franchise again. Super excited for next month.

Top Bottom