• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Ground Zeroes editing tools released

*Awaits MGS1-3 remakes :p.

Even though we already knew this Cyprus confirmed
vp4XTZz.jpg
Oh wow I didn't know this (or I forgot). As a Turk I'm now curious how Kojima is going to portray that war.

Yup,

These are the quality settings you can mess with, I removed everything but the values for Extra High so it doesn't take up pages.
Code:
				settingName = "PluginShadow",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", DirectionalLightShadowResolution=8192, 
					   SpotLightLightShadowResolution=4096, PointLightLightShadowResolution=8192, CascadeShadowRangeScale=3.0 }

settingName = "PluginSphericalHarmonics",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", DrawSphericalHarmonicsMaxCount=127, RejectionLengthBias=50.0 },

settingName = "PluginLocalLight",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", ShadowCastingStaticLocalLightMaxCount=8, ShadowCastingDynamicLocalLightMaxCount=4,
					  DrawLocalLightMaxCount = 128, LocalLightLodLevelBias=-0.5, LocalLightLodMinLevel=0, RejectionLengthBias=200.0 },

settingName = "PluginModel",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", RejectionLengthBias=64.0 },

settingName = "PluginClone",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", RejectionLengthBias=250.0 },

settingName = "TextureQualitySettings",
					{name = "ExtraHigh" ,mode=1, VramMBSize=1600 ,AdaptorFactor=0.85 ,LargeRatio=90,MiddleRatio= 5,SmallRatio=25},

settingName = "PluginDof",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", EnableFilter=0, QuarityType=0 },

settingName = "PluginFxaa",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", EnableFilter=1 },

settingName = "PluginSsao",

settingName = "PluginSao",

settingName = "PluginMotionBlur",

settingName = "PluginToneMap",
					{ name = "ExtraHigh", EnableBloom=1 },

settingName = "PluginLocalReflection",

An option to disable Motion Blur!? The gods have answered my prayers, I'll have to pick the game up on PC afterall!

*Awaits MGS1-3 remakes :p.

Oh wow I didn't know this (or I forgot). As a Turk I'm now curious how Kojima is going to portray that war.

I don't think he's gonna touch on it much at all.

Cyprus is the location of the hospital in the original Phantom Pain trailer where Big Boss wakes up from his near decade long slumber.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Weather system spoiler.

Six different weather types confirmed:

this.WeatherNames = {
sunny = 0,
cloudy = 1,
rainy = 2,
sandstorm = 3,
foggy = 4,
pouring = 5,
}

GZ is pouring
Deja Vu is cloudy
Renegade Threat is sunny
We have seen sandstorm from TPP trailers.
Foggy and rainy have not been seen yet. (not so sure about rainy).

Is it possible in the long run for a mod to change the weather in missions? Would love to play the side ops with pouring weather like in GZ

Found the medic (data_01\Assets\tpp\chara\dds\), also managed use FtexUnpacker (had to put zlib1.dll in the same folder).

The Medic definitely has a lot of different facial features, not resembling old Big Boss that much. One interesting thing is that the Medic has a burnt face texture that has some identical parts to Big Boss' burnt/bloody texture (his upper right part where the horn will be etc.). It's probably just reusing the same damage texture on both characters, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Here's an animated gif to illustrate that http://imgur.com/BwgIoos.

Embearded

Is it possible in the long run for a mod to change the weather in missions? Would love to play more mission with pouring like in GZ

From what i've seen so far, it seems that functions, classes and generally the code is taken from TPP without major changes. So the code lines that support every kind of weather are included into GZ but i don't think that they have included the assets, for lets say sandstorm.

Both clock and weather are controlled from a "WeatherManager" class, which among other settings, has one for random weather.

RK9039

Found the medic (data_01\Assets\tpp\chara\dds\), also managed use FtexUnpacker (had to put zlib1.dll in the same folder).

The Medic definitely has a lot of different facial features, not resembling old Big Boss that much. One interesting thing is that the Medic has a burnt face texture that has some identical parts to Big Boss' burnt/bloody texture (his upper right part where the horn will be etc.). It's probably just reusing the same damage texture on both characters, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Here's an animated gif to illustrate that http://imgur.com/BwgIoos.

We have to go deeper.

The medic is Venom Snake. Big Boss is Ishmael.

Chinner

Banned
I don't really care about this 'digging up'. We're revealing normal practices in game development, it's only we choose that there is a huge conspiracy because we somehow expect it.

You know what would actually be really cool? If this led to a mission designer. It would be cool to make your own missions, imagine having to infiltrate Camp Omega while you having a 50 foot Hideo Kojima looking for you?

Embearded

I finally managed to change the time and weather in GZ mission.

I played for 5 minutes, experimented on guards field of view and unfortunately i think that, in GZ at least, their field of view doesn't change dynamically with the time but it's set through a static value.

In the last 3 screenshots you can see Snake standing on the edge(!) of the cliff and the guard approaching. I think that he should have noticed me when he was right after the crossroad.

If someone wants to try it in a day mission, by putting someone to sleep a little farther, climb on the exact spot and wait, or wake up the guard to test, i would appreciate it. It's Normal btw.

Daytime shots of GZ mission.
10am with sunny setting.

Holdfing

I don't really care about this 'digging up'. We're revealing normal practices in game development, it's only we choose that there is a huge conspiracy because we somehow expect it.

You know what would actually be really cool? If this led to a mission designer. It would be cool to make your own missions, imagine having to infiltrate Camp Omega while you having a 50 foot Hideo Kojima looking for you?

I hope that's the end goal, and not just ripping models out and putting them into Garry's Mod =/
I'd just like to replace the "fake" guns with "real" guns, personally.

deeptech

10am with sunny setting.

yea , looks like sun only shines for you , while the guards are acting like it's default , night and raining setting.

nice job though

Minamu

Really cool, even though the graphics seem a bit low quality? Might not be the game's fault I guess :) I don't think I've ever seen that blue tarp over a water cistern or something before in the middle of the second tent camp area?

I played for 5 minutes, experimented on guards field of view and unfortunately i think that, in GZ at least, their field of view doesn't change dynamically with the time but it's set through a static value.

In the last 3 screenshots you can see Snake standing on the edge(!) of the cliff and the guard approaching. I think that he should have noticed me when he was right after the crossroad.

If someone wants to try it in a day mission, by putting someone to sleep a little farther, climb on the exact spot and wait, or wake up the guard to test, i would appreciate it. It's Normal btw.

10am with sunny setting.

Yeah, shame it's not dynamic. Guards still wearing raincoats, and the sneaking suit appears to have different specular maps depending on the weather, rather than it getting wet dynamically.

synce

Is it possible to release a patcher for changing GZ's weather, or does it have to be done manually? A tutorial would be great

10am with sunny setting.

Amazing. I didn't even think this would be possible.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is this legal ?

Of course it is. As long as you're not redistributing game files, there's nothing wrong with messing around with data on your own computer.

Embearded

yea , looks like sun only shines for you , while the guards are acting like it's default , night and raining setting.

nice job though

Nice! Can you make it that it is dawn or sunset, then the lack of soldier vision will be easier to be accepted. :) Plus it will look prettier.

Amazing. I didn't even think this would be possible.

Thanks!

Is it possible to release a patcher for changing GZ's weather, or does it have to be done manually? A tutorial would be great

i plan on doing a tutorial today.
Edit: It's done.

Really cool, even though the graphics seem a bit low quality? Might not be the game's fault I guess :) I don't think I've ever seen that blue tarp over a water cistern or something before in the middle of the second tent camp area?

I have everything on High. I've noticed that tarp before but i guess that during the day it's more visible. I've spent plenty of hours on day missions so i had already seen it.

Yeah, shame it's not dynamic. Guards still wearing raincoats, and the sneaking suit appears to have different specular maps depending on the weather, rather than it getting wet dynamically.

Yes, When i started messing with the code i thought that some things, like uniforms for example, would be defined by weather, in an OnConstruction type of function. Now i see that it would create dependencies and the need of flags to be checked everytime weather changes. So everything has to be set seperatly. Even rain sound effect has to be turned off seperatly and i still didn't look on how to do that.

My effort depends on others heavily. There are still files that won't be unpacked during the execution of the tool because the dictionary isn't complete yet. I don't know how to decrypt .lua, or fpk files, in fact it's nearly 24 hours since my first atempt to mod anything other than my bicyle.

I didn't find the WeatherManager class, only the TppWeather one that calls the WeatherManager, so i still don't know exactly what the parameters do. I can only speculate and go the trial and error way. But the WeatherManager has to be somewhere packed. Did a search with Notepad++ in all files but it only found calls and not the original class.

Quick tip for those that want to start experimenting now:
Anything i tried to change that was in the folder of path of data_02/Assets/.. did not take effect. I had to find the "original" fpk file, open it with a hex editor and delete the bytes of the file i wanted to change. That way you delete the cached file in the .fpk. It took me hours......

Guide to change the Ground Zeroes mission time and weather.

(i didn't and won't upload modded game files)
I apologize for my english.

Tip: Notepad++ is recommended in order to work with .lua files and text based modding.

If you haven't touched your game files yet and it's the very first time you try modding GZ then start from step 1.
Else start from step 5.

1) Make a backup of the files data_01.g0s and data_02.g0s if there is a reason for not downloading again from Steam if you do something wrong.
2) Download the files from the OP AND these batch files.
3) Put them in your game directory as shown in picture below.
Underlined files are essential and must be in the directory.

4) Run the unpack batch and wait for the console window to close.
5) Find the following file from the path: \data_02\Assets\tpp\pack\mission\extra\e20010\e20010_area01.fpkd
6) Make a backup of the file somewhere safe. (yes backups again)
7) Open it with a hex editor. (if you don't have one, try downloading HxD). Don't expect to be able to read anything, it's encrypted.
8) You need to select a block of bytes. In HxD you do it by pressing Ctrl + E or Edit -> Select Block.
Select the block that starts from the offset 3A1B70 and ends in 40B6FD. Now delete the selected block.
There will be a message saying that by deleting it you will decrase the size file. We are ok with that, so press ok.
9) Save the file and exit. (if there is e20010_area01.fpkd.bak file in the folder delete it, it's from the hex editor.)

What we've done so far is delete the cached file that we want to edit, from the encrypted .fpkd. Now the game will load the settings from the file we are going to mess up with.

10) Find the following file: \data_02\Assets\tpp\level\mission\extra\e20010\e20010_sequence.lua
11) Make a backup, YES AGAIN, BACKUP NOW!
12) Open it with a text editor. ( I strongly recommend Notepad++)
13) Search for "TppClock.SetTime" without the ".
It should take you to line 872 (more or less) and you should have the following lines in front of you:

TppEffectUtility.SetColorCorrectionLut( "gntn_25thDemo_FILTERLUT" )

GrTools.SetLightingColorScale(1.0)

TppClock.SetTime( "00:00:00" )

TppClock.Start()

TppWeather.SetWeather( "pouring" )

TppWeather.Stop()

You can set the time anywhere between 00:00:00 to 23:59:59.

The choices for weather are:

sunny
rainy
cloudy
sandstorm
foggy
pouring

foggy and sandstorm dont work and i think that there is a failsafe in case something goes wrong. The failsafe will load the default for the mission weather.
You also need to change the value of the line "GrTools.SetLightingColorScale(1.0)" in order to have correct lighting. I am still not sure about the correct value for every time of day. What i did, was look on the other missions sequence.lua files, and experimented. I think that during the day times the value must be somewhere around 2.0 to 4.0 and during the night 1.0. But i am not sure yet.

The line "TppEffectUtility.SetColorCorrectionLut( "gntn_25thDemo_FILTERLUT" )" must play some role too. I am not sure about it either. In other missions they use it without the parameter or with a different parameter.

14) After you change time or / and weather, save the file. (no need to close it too).
15) Go to the game directory where you have the batches.
16) Run the repack batch and wait for the console to close.

you did it mate, you can now enjoy the weather of guandanamo any time of the day you like.

From now on, you only need to modify the e20010_sequence.lua with a text editor and run the repack batch.
So the second time you will try to change time or / and weather you will have to do the steps: 10, 12, 13, 14, 15,16 which may sound a lot but it's a 2 minute process.

Don't be alarmed if the intro of the mission is complete white or different from the usual. Wait for the gameplay to start in order to judge if you need to change the settings. Even if there is no lighting at all or everything is white during the gameplay, move the mouse and observe the situation with the lighting. It might help you decide the next settings to try.

I apologize again for my english and for the long post. If there is a problem with the post please let me know. Ask questions first, shoot bans later....

ShaunBRS

What we've done so far is delete the cached file that we want to edit

I'm an idiot. This is what was tripping me up this whole time. Amazing work nonetheless, seriously. I spent the last hour drunkenly modding Paz's hair onto Big Boss ( The realest Slim Shady).

Embearded

I'm an idiot. This is what was tripping me up this whole time. Amazing work nonetheless, seriously. I spent the last hour drunkenly modding Paz's hair onto Big Boss ( The realest Slim Shady).

Thanks, i hope you guys use it.
You have no idea how many hours i've spent on the workaround... i don't know how to pack, repack, encrypt or decrypt those damn files and i am not willing to learn, unless someone wants to explain it simple to me. If i am going to sit down and read something that's gonna be relevant to my studies only for the time being..

I wanna see that mod man....

Embearded

Thanks StratosGK.

Looks great.

Things got weird after rescuing Paz.

No problem man.

I think i saw some weathermanager lines in the code that where executed after getting paz or chico. I didn't go that much into the mission to tell you the truth because i wanted to try stuff...

ShaunBRS

I wanna see that mod man....

Hahaha, I got the ftexs wrong the first time, turns out Boss and Paz didn't have their AO/spec maps/and so on in the same order (I was three sheets). Anyway, the good motherfucking Boss ended up looking like Joan Rivers... wish I took a damn screenshot, hahaha. I'll try and do it properly tomorrow.

Thanks again for the good work, man.

Embearded

Hahaha, I got the ftexs wrong the first time, turns out Boss and Paz didn't have their AO/spec maps/and so on in the same order (I was three sheets). Anyway, the good motherfucking Boss ended up looking like Joan Rivers... wish I took a damn screenshot, hahaha. I'll try and do it properly tomorrow.

Thanks again for the good work, man.

hahahahahahahaha

You can sell it as avatar dude!!!!!!! :D

Yup, changed the values and it's running great now.

Which values? the ones that i point in the guide or the weathermanager ones?

btw Paz looks hotter at night.... :p

hahahahahahahaha

You can sell it as avatar dude!!!!!!! :D

Which values? the ones that i point in the guide or the weathermanager ones?

btw Paz looks hotter at night.... :p

The file e200010_sequence.lua lines 9103, 9751 and 10180 changed the value from 2 to 0 since zero is sunny and 2 is rainy.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I've seen a video of something like this in the console version, you have to dive down the basement stairs during reflex mode and it looks like some reflection texture that's meant to be swapped over doesn't trigger. I think it only effected Snake in that case.

edit:

taken from reddit
Jojje_1419716183.jpg

Skull Snake :O

Embearded

The file e200010_sequence.lua lines 9103, 9751 and 10180 changed the value from 2 to 0 since zero is sunny and 2 is rainy.

Nice, thanks for the info.
Everytime you change the weather you have to change those values. I will try deleting them.

Edit:
Deleting the lines of WeatherManager works.

The values i've used:

TppEffectUtility.SetColorCorrectionLut( "common_clearSky_a_FILTERLUT" )
GrTools.SetLightingColorScale(2.0)
TppClock.SetTime( "12:00:00" )
TppClock.Start()
TppWeather.SetWeather( "sunny" )
TppWeather.Stop()

synce

Thanks for the tutorial. I followed it exactly but it's not working for me. The game endlessly loads when I begin GZ mission. Maybe the offsets are different between English and Japanese versions? (I'm playing JP)

Embearded

Thanks for the tutorial. I followed it exactly but it's not working for me. The game endlessly loads when I begin GZ mission. Maybe the offsets are different between English and Japanese versions? (I'm playing JP)

I don''t know about that.... :/

Found some interesting programming stuff:

In most missions they set the time of day with this code line: TppClock.SetTime( "xx:xx:xx" )
But the value is string type so in the TppClock.SetTime function, they call another function to convert the string in actual integer data. Check the following file: \data_02\Assets\tpp\script\common\TppClock.lua
Thats what SetTime does:

local hour, min, sec = this._ParseTimeString( time )
WeatherManager.SetCurrentClock( hour, min, sec )

It calls ParseTimeString, which does some multiplications and then return the value back in SetTime only to call another function "WeatherManager.SetCurrentClock( hour, min, sec )", which does the real job. Now the funny thing is that in Operative Rescue mission they call "WeatherManager.SetCurrentClock( hour, min, sec )" straight away.
The only difference between SetTime and WeatherManager.SetCurrentClock is that in the first you give a string type and in the second an integer type...
Of course with SetTime you throw away some CPU time...

Getting sloppy KojiPro? :p

Storm360

I just did a playthrough of the GZ mission in daytime on the Japanese version, it works (along with everything else so far) the same was the english verison

Top Bottom