• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV for PC officially confirmed

My biggest worry is whether it will be a good PC version. I'm fed up with likes of AC4 and Watch Dogs. As per default, you can't go completely wrong with the PS4 version.

You're talking about two games from one company, Ubisoft. As others have said, there's no reason not to have faith that this will be a good port.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
This is great news. Hopefully one day I'll have a PC powerful enough to play it until then PS4 will be fine. It's great to think it'll reach a bigger audience to start with though.

epmode

Both games run much better on PC on similar hardware.

Confirmed. I've never understood the complaints about Ubi's recent high profile PC ports. I suppose the framerate is lower than what you imagine it should be but I'd still much rather play AC4 on PC.

Kezen

Banned
Both games run much better on PC on similar hardware.

Exactly. Something a lot of people seem to forget when comparing PC to console multiplats.
Even though "similar" may not be the perfect word to describe it. 1:1 between PC and consoles efficiency is impossible, you will always need "a bit more" on PC due to API/wide range of hardware. But this "a bit more" does not prevent a mid-range PC (or lower in some cases) to perform as well or better. There is already plenty of more powerful CPUs/GPUs than the consoles available on PC.

Watch Dogs runs at 1080p/high settings/30fps on a 750ti. An entry level GPU.
Same goes for AC4 with the latest drivers.

thematic

Because the game now has to be developed with dozens of videocards in mind optimization will be ruined and the PS4 version will suffer, along with the game as a whole. Shame that selfish PC gamers are so happy about hurting the quality of the game, enjoy I guess.

keep in mind that Fox Engine originally code in PC, using hi-end PC hardware
then they "downgrade" it because PS4 and X1 don't have the power to max it

so, no...
PC version won't "hold" back PS4 version because they already have PC version in the first place.
the difference between PC vs PS4 version usually on the "Graphics Options" menu that each users can tinkle to maximize their hardware VS fixed PS4 setting.

Mogwai

You're talking about two games from one company, Ubisoft. As others have said, there's no reason not to have faith that this will be a good port.
Ok. So you just blindly believe it will be a good port that, no doubts, will run better than the console version?

I know my argument is a bit on the edge. I'd like to see some real life tests before I'm convinced.

Kezen

Banned
Ok. So you just blindly believe it will be a good port that, no doubts, will run better than the console version?
On the right hardware it always will. It's the case with Watch Dogs and AC4 two not-so-well (to put it mildly) optimized PC versions.
Why should MGS be any worse ?

What you say makes no sense at all. It does not need to be a good port to perform better on mid-range/high-end PCs. Watch Dogs or AC4 on PC aren't bad at all compared to what's available on consoles, the problem is that they should still run much better.
I would not trade my PC version of AC4/Watch Dogs against 1 billion PS4 versions.

SparkTR

I know my argument is a bit on the edge. I'd like to see some real life tests before I'm convinced.

Even if it is a bad port it'll perform better than the console versions, depending on the users hardware. That's pretty much how it goes looking at recent history. But with the engine being so PC friendly I don't expect anything bad.

neoism

so guys I know my pc is old and stuff but is it even comparable to say the PS4 I will more than like have a new PC by then but just wondering if I have a chance to play it...
I would only be playing at 1280x720 max anyway.....c
i5 2.7x4
ATI R5870
8gb ram
250 SSD

1. PES 2014 was a good port and it was running on FOX Engine.
2. Unless this is some ridiculously horrible port, it will run better than the console version on better hardware. Even if you take Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed IV, it ran better on better hardware, that's a fact. Seriously, people should stop with the horrible port non sense. When people talk about horrible ports, they don't mean it runs worse than a console version on their top hardware. It means that it should run a lot better, but because of broken options (vsync for Assassin's Creed IV or stuttering for Watch Dogs PC on Ultra settings) it doesn't. Yet, it's about settings not available on console. Watch Dogs is limited to 30FPS and 900p on PS4. Assassin's Creed IV is limited to 30FPS. People are complaining they can't maintain 60FPS on best settings and such. Not because it is running worse than console settings.

so guys I know my pc is old and stuff but is it even comparable to say the PS4 I will more than like have a new PC by then but just wondering if I have a chance to play it...
i5 2.7x4
ATI R5870
8gb ram
250 SSD

Yes, if you are at 720p... easily espect a pretty good framerate.

Your card is getting long in the tooth btw, but the rest of your system is still pretty farn fine. You should consider a new GPU when you can / have the desire.

Kezen

Banned
i5 2.7x4
ATI R5870
8gb ram
250 SSD

I'm no authority on the matter but I suspect your GPU will not achieve parity with the PS4 in this game. You will need more than not I believe.

neoism

Yes, if you are at 720p... easily espect a pretty good framerate.

Your card is getting long in the tooth btw, but the rest of your system is still pretty farn fine. You should consider a new GPU when you can / have the desire.

yeah I know Its been an amazing card though over 5000 hours of gaming and 6 years of use <3
thanks though lol

Mogwai

On the right hardware it always will. It's the case with Watch Dogs and AC4 two not-so-well (to put it mildly) optimized PC versions.
Why should MGS be any worse ?

What you say makes no sense at all. It does not need to be a good port to perform better on mid-range/high-end PCs. Watch Dogs or AC4 on PC aren't bad at all compared to what's available on consoles, the problem is that they should still run much better.
I would not trade my PC version of AC4/Watch Dogs against 1 billion PS4 versions.
There are good and badly optimized games. I've got a decent PC setup (8GB memory, GTX770 4GB, 3570K and SSD) and even on medium-to-high settings Watch Dogs run worse than all my other games. That is a badly optimized engine. I'm surprised to see you defend it as being good PC version, which it just isn't. All the complaints on the web is a testament to that.

Even if it is a bad port it'll perform better than the console versions, depending on the users hardware. That's pretty much how it goes looking at recent history. But with the engine being so PC friendly I don't expect anything bad.
I don't expect it to be as bad as either AC4 or Watch Dogs. But you just haven't seen a MGS game on PCs yet, so nobody really doesn't know anything.

There are good and badly optimized games. I've got a decent PC setup (8GB memory, GTX770 4GB, 3570K and SSD) and even on medium-to-high settings Watch Dogs run worse than all my other games. That is a badly optimized engine. I'm surprised to see you defend it as being good PC version, which it just isn't. All the complaints on the web is a testament to that.

I don't expect it to be as bad as either AC4 or Watch Dogs. But you just haven't seen a MGS game on PCs yet, so nobody really doesn't know anything.

He says right in the post that it should be better optimized, but even with non enthusiast level hardware it runs and looks better than it does on the PS4. Watch Dog's optimization woes really become apparent when you have really nice hardware with people who have 3 Titan Blacks being completely unable to maintain a solid 60 FPS. I have a 780 Ti and it stutters like a mess all over the place on Ultra settings if I don't lock it to 30.

d0g_bear

Usually the worst PC ports are the ones the devs don't even acknowledge - it's just there on launch day an no one talked about it before. In this case, konami made it a big reveal at a conference and even had a brief trailer for it. That speaks to more commitment to the product. I'm expecting a decent port.

We seen a FOX Engine game, as I said, PES 2014. Really good port, so I don't see any trouble with that.

Kezen

Banned
My experience with the game has been very positive. Maybe I'm in the minority but it runs really well here : high textures, everything else at ultra and I get 45-60fps at 1080p. The latest patch has eradicated stuttering completely for me. I7 4770K and GTX 770.
It's not a stellar PC version but speaking strictly for myself it's by far the best version of the game available to purchase. The PS4 version looks muted in comparison.

I know enough to know it will run really well on my system and the PC is the best option I have. Feel free to pick it up wherever you want, no one will hold that against you.

deleted

Games to make me buy a new console:
MGSV
Uncharted 4
Bloodbourne

This is great news - Hopefully there is an online mode comparable to MGSIV. I can see a great community building around that..

And hopefully it's as scalable as cross generation makes us believe. Being able to play this with 60fps on older machines with less bells and whistles would be great!

RK9039

We've already seen the PC version at GDC and E3 2013. GZ reveal in 2012 was probably PC as well.

Setsuna

throw enough power at a game and anything will run well

Pachael

If KojiPro are doing the PC version, absolutely.

Games to make me buy a new console:
MGSV
Uncharted 4

This is great news - Hopefully there is an online mode comparable to MGSIV. I can see a great community building around that..

And hopefully it's as scalable as cross generation makes us believe. Being able to play this with 60fps on older machines with less bells and whistles would be great!

I don't see Bloodborne on your list

We've already seen the PC version at GDC and E3 2013. GZ reveal in 2012 was probably PC as well.

I remember the comparisons between the reveal and retail lighting so it'd be nice to have that level of quality back but one imagines it was something done specifically as a show piece. Just look at Dark Souls 2 :/

Fuck yeah, I'm really looking forward to this! So glad it's coming to PC, I knew Kojima's comments about the possibility of a PC version were always just a thinly veiled "wait and see."

HNNNNGGGGHHHH

dunk_react.gif

Secretly I hope this means my favorite game MGS3 somehow also materializes on Steam, but I'll play this one too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember the comparisons between the reveal and retail lighting so it'd be nice to have that level of quality back but one imagines it was something done specifically as a show piece. Just look at Dark Souls 2 :/

I wonder if there are still people who believe that the initial showings of DS2 weren't generous vertical slices but rather excerpts from an entire game, one Scamco is deliberately sitting on for the sake of a current-gen re-release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can't base your PC port expectations on how Rising was ported.

Different engine and different dev team.

Yes, we can.

Different engine. Same publishing house.

Until Konami shows us they "get" PC, it's better to temper your expectations.

News Bot

Banned
Because the game now has to be developed with dozens of videocards in mind optimization will be ruined and the PS4 version will suffer, along with the game as a whole. Shame that selfish PC gamers are so happy about hurting the quality of the game, enjoy I guess.

You talk such dick.

Yes, we can.

Different engine. Same publishing house.

Until Konami shows us they "get" PC, it's better to temper your expectations.

Well if you put it that way, you should be glad to remember how the Silent Hill and Zone of the Enders collections ended up.

Sure HD remaster =/= PC port, but the quality assurance would be the same.

Confirmed. I've never understood the complaints about Ubi's recent high profile PC ports. I suppose the framerate is lower than what you imagine it should be but I'd still much rather play AC4 on PC.
Ubisoft Kiev or whatever tends to put out ports that force the hardware to work harder than it should for the performance you're getting. With Watch Dogs, they managed to make a buggy port that was fixed by digging out old code and enabling it, which doesn't speak well about their QA testing for PC.

BibiMaghoo

This thread blows my mind.

I don't see how it coming to PC is anything but a good thing. Those stating it will harm other platforms versions are not making any sense. There is no factual reason to believe that to be true, or even suggest that will be the case. Sour grapes gone way too far. Be happy other people can play the game.

More people playing it means more people bought it, which means more Metal Gear. Any fan of the franchise should be please, frankly.

This thread blows my mind.

I don't see how it coming to PC is anything but a good thing. Those stating it will harm other platforms versions are not making any sense. There is no factual reason to believe that to be true, or even suggest that will be the case. Sour grapes gone way too far. Be happy other people can play the game.

More people playing it means more people bought it, which means more Metal Gear. Any fan of the franchise should be please, frankly.

There is no end to people's insanity.

Top Bottom