• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

I really enjoy gaming on PC. I don't feel the need to get a lot of console games because, yes, the experience PC for a large portion of cross-platform games is simply better on PC.

That said, I still own consoles, and I enjoy the games I get for those consoles. I also paid a decent sum to build my PC, although I also use it for video editing.

Pachter's statement is pretty ridiculous for someone who works for a securities firm to say, but at the same time, the "master race" statements people use kind of invite the criticism.

I think he has a point. I play on PC primarily but I enjoy all games, consoles and genres equally (with a few personal exceptions for things that just don't quite float my boat). That said, I have had the unpleasant experience of playing with people who do have fairly closed minds, writing off certain types of game or players as "console trash".

One of these people recently informed me that he wouldn't play as any of the female characters in overwatch because he didn't want to play as a woman, and blizzard didn't give him the choice to do otherwise. Kinda unrelated, but I think it does shed a light on some of the mindsets that we have to deal with...

This is really dumb.

Most PC gamers I know also have at least one console. There's a lot of overlap between PC and consoles that Pachter is ignoring.

a.wd

I think he hasn't visited enough gaming forums to identify the full range of irrational, self absorbed, protectionist dickheads.

But yeah this gon b gud.

Kthulhu

That may be the stereotype, but most PC gamers I know have at least one console or handheld. The only ones that don't, don't have the money for both.

More off topic. That is a horrible analogy to make. Comparing something terrible as racism to something that is just annoying is gross.

Aaron D.

Well if I'm being completely honest I do think the PC platform is far superior to consoles.

But at the same time I understand it's simply a reflection of my gaming lifestyle these days.

J-Skee

In all seriousness though, have you guys ever visited r/pcmasterrace? They are exactly who Pachter is talking about. But again, as OP has said, it's a very loud minority.

KellyNole

Welp, I guess that settles it. Patcher said it, it must be true now.

PC is not alone with people who will defend it, consoles suffer the same fate. There are those who will defend their choice, put down any other competition, and try to push people to what they own.

I am a gamer. I love games on console or pc. They both have their issues, but they both provide great ways to play great software.

Piers

I mean, when you need tech support, asked your specs and the first thing some people want to do is judge you on that before actually solving your problem...
It can feel a little biggoted.

Coreda

Ironic that he makes PC gamers out to be a homogeneous group... just like any prejudiced person would.

In all seriousness though, have you guys ever visited r/pcmasterrace? They are exactly who Pachter is talking about. But again, as OP has said, it's a very loud minority.

Its a sub-reddit community. I don't take it seriously

Besides there are small minorities who are zealous for their consoles as well

Anno

Those small minorities exist for all platforms though. It's silly to pick out one, even if they're maybe the loudest. But this is just offensive all around, what a weird thing to say.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think he has a point. I play on PC primarily but I enjoy all games, consoles and genres equally (with a few personal exceptions for things that just don't quite float my boat). That said, I have had the unpleasant experience of playing with people who do have fairly closed minds, writing off certain types of game or players as "console trash".

One of these people recently informed me that he wouldn't play as any of the female characters in overwatch because he didn't want to play as a woman, and blizzard didn't give him the choice to do otherwise. Kinda unrelated, but I think it does shed a light on some of the mindsets that we have to deal with...

To be honest, there's a big issue with gaming as a whole where a lot of people who are socially maladjusted or just think words are ways to throw insults (or some twisted viewpoints that believe what they are saying is true) are all in a similar space, and in some of the most popular of the popular space they play as a loud vocal group which can make a community behind a game potentially toxic. I think the problem is more people not being respectful or thoughtful of their comments than not, and it ends up effecting most major games with online communities.

Given that I do think some great communities and efforts by gamers can spring from this same 'general' group, but different factions of it, sometimes in different settings. I think the issues gaming has is more an extension of the issues the internet has with its communities rather than exclusive to gaming, though.

"I have friends who are console gamers."

I think the consoles have some cool exclusives, but I don't particularly care about buying $300+ systems to play those games when I already invested a good amount into my gaming pc.

I get what he was going for but stooping to name calling and including every single PC gamer is a bit dense.

Not a good look.

SomTervo

Can't think of anything smart to say.

writing-bad.gif

I mean...they kind of ARE like racists. Just without all the, I dunno, lynchings and genocides.
Poor guy probably has no life out of video games. I doubt he has learned about such events from video games much either. Actually, the stupidity of his comments is a good excuse to discuss the widespread lack of discussion of serious matters (as in matters dealing with history, politics, social issues, etc.) Within the games. Gaming community can be so ignorant (reminds me of the backlash against BG expansion for the inclusion of LGBT characters).

Nokterian

He doesn't have a point the only thing me as a pc gamer is we are vocal because if a game runs shit should i oblige and wave it is ok? hell no i want games to run great and have a lot of options if it does run shit than i will make a nice feedback towards the developer to do better and provide the feedback they need.

I own Xbox One and PS4 also so i play anywhere, all kinds of people every where be it on console or pc it doesn't matter. Seeing this what pachter does is even more close minded since he doesn't think on how community's can be on consoles as well.

Rellik

Yep and it's a terrible sub-section of PC gamers. But let's not pretend the Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo communities don't have the same kind of loyalists.

M.J. Doja

Banned
I'd love to coexist and interact with my lowly console brethren... perhaps even civilize them and teach them the ways of the PC.

Yeah, if you want to be vulgar, the comparison has some value. Still dumb though.

You know who are actually like racists? Racists!

I'm not racist, some of my favorite games are on consoles.

This is the tone I was sort of going for. :)

My pc only friends do laugh like "hahaha ha why don't you be a real gamer and get a better pc".

Sorry, I'll be over here playing console exclusives like Bloodborne, as well as playing whatever my pc can handle.

ok, i went to r/pcmasterrace, please point out where having a silly slogan which came from yathzee's video that just happened to catch on congregates to people being racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom