• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brocken

Banned
If he talk about people that like to shit on every console games while portbegging them for years because they don't want to spend more than 5 five dollars on Steam sales, well, he's right.

shandy706

Fanboys and Racism, yep....totally similar /s

giphy.gif

Ultimadrago

While Pachter's parallel is ignorant, as a primary PC user, I won't try to write a revisionist history to put the misgivings there in a white light.

I will acknowledge that there are people online that actively make it their job to make others feel unwelcome for not accepting the same approach to gaming. It's not just used against those that have stupid bias against PC either, but anyone they can justify having reasons to denounce fellow players. That behavior from particular individuals is unacceptable and should be spoken against.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I knew this before I bought my 3DS and PS3. Good thing the NX isn't out yet, I wouldn't want to betray my fellow racist PC gamers any more.

If you'll excuse me now, I think I'll go punch an XB1 owner or two.

Toxi

Banned
I should make a kart racing game with vehicles shaped like condiment bottles and release it on Steam Greenlight with the title "PC Mustard Race".

Gimbles

Neo Member
He's unintentionally made a blanket statement about a sliver of pc gamers, who cares? Also, "pc master race" is a slogan that is rooted in quantifiable superiority to consoles; racism isn't based on quantifiable differences.

vpance

Those small minorities exist for all platforms though. It's silly to pick out one, even if they're maybe the loudest. But this is just offensive all around, what a weird thing to say.

TBF it is the biggest board for PC gaming on reddit, by far.

That is quite the nuanced way to talk about a large and diverse group of people.
I will acknowledge that there are people online that actively make it their job to make others feel unwelcome for not accepting the same approach to gaming. It's not just used against those that have stupid bias against PC either, but anyone they have a reason to denounce fellow players. That behavior from particular individuals is unacceptable and should be spoken against.

This is obviously a thing as well. The gaming community in general has to stand up against such opinions and become more inclusive. This probably means deconstructing notions of "gamer", "hardcore", etc...

Strazyplus

You have to be an arrogant twit to not want a new iteration of a console?

Don't know who he is or what he does but meaningless to me, making such blanket statements are... stupid thing to do. just like PC and every console has their fanboys and elitists. We just happen to have a slogan and an image associated with it. Does it mean we are nazis? I think not. Racist? ... thats just stupid.

Anyway, I laughed no point into saying any more to this man and may feel sorry for him. like any platform has their fanboys that will harass people that do not match their views.

He wants attention nobody who is smart would spew such nonsense.

Internet troll 10/10.

I don't hear nearly as much trash talk and racism on PC over voice compared to console.

Sounds like you've never played CSGO.

When I was 15 and I played MW2 on PS3, good god the foulness, I have played CSGO and its not that bad to me.

LordRaptor

Michael Pachter is a paid analyst.

Any "free" opinions he gives are not actual analysis - because he charges for that - they are viewpoints that are beneficial towards his actual clients.

There is no "PC gaming" representation organisation that would pay him money as a client to promote their interests.

BigEmil

In all seriousness though, have you guys ever visited r/pcmasterrace? They are exactly who Pachter is talking about. But again, as OP has said, it's a very loud minority.
Lol that subreddit. So many people in that sub are always super serious about this race stuff and always love to randomly talk down to consoles in nearly all comment chains.
r/pcgaming is abit better though not as toxic and better moderators but you'll still find those specific people just abit less

In a sense he's not wrong.

But the analogy completely falls apart when you consider that racism has moral and ethical implications and preferring PC gaming over console gaming is just a personal preference.

Don't know who he is or what he does but meaningless to me, making such blanket statements are... stupid thing to do. just like PC and every console has their fanboys and elitists. We just happen to have a slogan and an image associated with it. Does it mean we are nazis? I think not. Racist? ... thats just stupid.

Anyway, I laughed no point into saying any more to this man and may feel sorry for him. like any platform has their fanboys that will harass people that do not match their views.

He wants attention nobody who is smart would spew such nonsense.

Internet troll 10/10.

He needs to stop snorting grilled chewing tobacco for a start. Messing with his mind.

Akoi

As someone that owns multiple Pcs, ps4 and Xbox one but mainly games on pc, this just sounds really dumb to me since I'm doing exactly what this article claims I shouldnt do...

Dunkley

Honestly, I gotta say I don't really got anything to say against that.

If Pachter thinks so that's like, his opinion man. I don't think it's fair to generalize here, people play primarily on a platform because it's the platform they like the most and since they already own it they mostly buy their stuff on there, don't think that's too complicated, at the same time I don't think PC gamers in general are like racists since I barely know any PC exclusive gamers and even I play on console when it's convenient, however money is a big factor here which is why so many people stick with one or two platforms per gen.

The reason I play on PC is because I already got a good one, and that's honestly all there is to it. If I had a shit PC and a PS4 instead, I would probably buy games on PS4 instead of upgrading my PC so I can jack off to framerates and tell console people their platform of choice is ass. Besides a vocal minority I don't think PC gaming is about that at all and Pachter seems to be only considering that group of people when he looks at PC Gamers as a whole judging by the interview without backing up his statements with anything further than his title as an analyst.

Gestault

By that reasoning, any identifiable market is "like racists." I know he was saying this to help people understand why it might not be fruitful to try to expand a market beyond its own interests, but man, that's loaded language.

Momentary

Banned
I don't own a console, but I don't have anything against anyone owning a console. I'm just more comfortable on PC. I don't think I'm better for it.

So not owning a console is like being a close minded racist?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Fortunately being an arrogant twit doesn't preclude also being right(I'm not talking about Pachter). Next up Pachter will talk about those Apple racists.

Sephzilla

Well they DO use the "pc master race" slogan...

Because it's funny and doesn't hurt anyone? It's not meant to be taken seriously?

Unfortunately I do know a decent amount of PC gamers who use the "PC master race" phrase unironically and genuinely believe it. It's kind of sad. Then I point out to them that the whole "PC master race" phrase was originally made as a slam against PC gamers, just to see their reaction.

I would never equate them to racists though.

Honestly there is nothing more fun than posting a Xbox picture on a PC enthusiast post on Facebook.

I just sit back and watch in glory of the posts!

I told them my phone was as equal as a PC the other day, gave me at least 24 hours worth of entertainment watching that unfold

Michael Pachter from Wedbush Securities
Are we supposed to know who this is?

Edit: Oh, him.

Honestly there is nothing more fun than posting a Xbox picture on a PC enthusiast post on Facebook.

I just sit back and watch in glory of the posts!

I told them my phone was as equal as a PC the other day, gave me at least 24 hours worth of entertainment watching that unfold
Doesn't that make you the bad guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom