• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey

a weird comparison, but I do agree that in general pc gamers rather save that $400 for better pc parts.

Although if you are interested in japanese games and a few sony exclusives like me, if the ps4pro will grant me better AA settings and less jaggies, why not.

I'm ebaying my old ps4 in anticipation.

I hereby grant this thread:

flat,1000x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

packy34

I mean I do think the PC has an objectively higher ceiling, and I personally enjoy pushing games to their limits... but I'm not against playing console exclusives if they're fun.

Dumb statement.

Widge

I really have no idea where this sentiment comes from.

Silverstone SG05
i5 3570k @ stock
EVGA Nvidia 1070
8GB DDR3
250 Samsung 850 EVO
1tb 7200rpm WD HDD

ViolentP

About PC or about every rabid fanbase?

Strip away the generalization, insult, and comparison to racism and you have a group of people who prefer performance over anything else that aren't afraid to defend their stance against others that don't. And as with most hobbies, they surround themselves with people with similar interests.

Change a few of those terms, and it will apply to any rabid fanbase. For the sake of conversation, I am using his example of PC users.

In fairness, what he said can be said in a myriad of different ways, his skill is locating what is probably the worst.

Keasar

I am primarily a PC gamer and I own a PS2, PS3, PSP, XBOX 360, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, GameBoy OG, GBC, GBA, DS, n3DS and a bunch of boardgames I like to play with friends.

And I plan on buying a PS4 Pro.

Why you hate me Pachter? :(

MMaRsu

Banned
a weird comparison, but I do agree that in general pc gamers rather save that $400 for better pc parts.

Although if you are interested in japanese games and a few sony exclusives like me, if the ps4pro will grant me better AA settings and less jaggies, why not.

I'm ebaying my old ps4 in anticipation.

Yeah why wait till you can actually see the difference.. -_-

I know a few master race guys who look down on console gamers and have vowed never to play games on consoles. They even belittle console specific marketed games and are happy when they fail due to bad PC ports.
None of them are on GAF btw.

Personally, I own a decent gaming PC, PS4 and Xbox One. I game mostly on PC but I play exclusives on consoles. So Pachter is wrong in his blanket statement about PC gamers.

I'm not hating. I just think it's a weird thing to do. It's like saying "I love food", but you only eat say, Mexican food, and totally ignore the merits of every Asian cuisine.

Not everyone has time to support, buy, and play games on multiple consoles. Even if they love games. Gaming is ultimately not as important as family or a career.

ACE 1991

I fucking hate the le epic xD PC MASTERRACE meme fuckery that has been popularized by that stupid subreddit. Just play and enjoy the platform you peform, jerking yourself off over how superior the PC is to consoles isn't go to make the cute girl you fantasize about 24/7 suddenly start liking your self-loathing, pimply and overweight ass.(Sorry, this simply how imagine the PCMR diehards).

Gbraga

Monetary concerns aside, I feel like anyone who claims to love games, but sticks to a single system (be it PC, handheld, console, or mobile) is being a fool.

There's also time. I have a PS3, a PS4, a Vita and a gaming PC, and I have way more games than I have time to play them.

Last gen I had every single console, the reason I only have the PS4 is simply because it's a waste of money to me to have multiple consoles from the same generation, I'll never have enough time to play the best games of each platform. I won't have time to play the best games of a single one. So I just chose which platform had the games I was interested the most in.

He has a DmC artwork on his office? That's pretty neat. Talexi is such an amazing artist.

legacyzero

Banned
Really Pachter? Fuck that.

I own a gaming PC, play on it, edit videos on it, etc.

But I prefer my PS4. Blanket fucking statement.

I really have no idea where this sentiment comes from.

Silverstone SG05
i5 3570k @ stock
EVGA Nvidia 1070
8GB DDR3
250 Samsung 850 EVO
1tb 7200rpm WD HDD

LMAO

jdmonmou

Did Pachter actually say this?

If so, this was a dumb comparison for Pachter to make.

I would argue most people on PC also have console to complement it.

You also have console fanboys. That annoying vocal minority exist for every platform.

LordRaptor

Strip away the generalization, insult, and comparison to racism and you have a group of people who prefer performance over anything else that aren't afraid to defend their stance against others that don't. And as with most hobbies, they surround themselves with people with similar interests.

In fairness, what he said can be said in a myriad of different ways, his skill is locating what is probably the worst.

No, stripped down, he is saying "the only reason you wouldn't want to buy a PS4Pro is because there is something wrong with you".

I'm sure Sony are very happy with their current consultancy services.

MMaRsu

Banned
I fucking hate the le epic xD PC MASTERRACE meme fuckery that has been popularized by that stupid subreddit. Just play and enjoy the platform you peform, jerking yourself off over how superior the PC is to consoles isn't go to make the cute girl you fantasize about 24/7 suddenly start liking your self-loathing, pimply and overweight ass.(Sorry, this simply how imagine the PCMR diehards).

wow

Stop reading reddit

pc master race shit existed way before reddit

You're full of judgement

mephixto

Banned
They're in their 30s....

The one's using seriously are kids on their parents PC, I have encouter lots of them in online FPS, the equivalent of console fanboy.

Almost all my friends mainly play on their PC but also own a PS4, also none of them are currently looking at buying a PS4 pro.

Rellik

What?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Utterly bogus statement.

The fact is, every platform has its own subsection of toxic fandom. There are indeed PC gamers which act poorly just as there are Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo fans that do the same. It's just the nature of growing a fanbase - some people get really into it to the point where they reject anything else while treating others poorly.

It's patently ridiculous to assume that PC gamers as a whole fall into this category.

There was a notable twang of racism (and other ism's) with the elitism back in the day (20th century). I do not mean some candy-coated stuff I mean things like "those people should not be a part of our PC community" stuff.

Which Pachter shows a complete ignorance of with his shitty, pointless analogies.

spons

Pachter always delivering quality entertainment. Gaming wouldn't be the same without him around. Thanks bro.

ViolentP

No, stripped down, he is saying "the only reason you wouldn't want to buy a PS4Pro is because there is something wrong with you".

I'm sure Sony are very happy with their current consultancy services.

I was speaking of his comment directly against PC gamers. Regarding his quote on the Pro, if anyone would actually consider purchasing an item based on an insult, they deserve to lose their money. It's essentially the bully taking your lunch money.

ACE 1991

wow

Stop reading reddit

You're full of judgement

I know it did, I fully understand and even agree with the underlying sentiment, but the way people present PC gaming culture on the PCMR subreddit is so incredibly childish and inane. It seems like that subreddit is populated by meme kids with nothing better to do. I do like the r/pcgaming community, though.

Justinh

Man, what a really dumb thing to say.

I think he should have said "more insular" rather than "like racists."
I think comparing fanboyism to racism kinda implies that racism isn't a big an issue that it is (which is untrue, it is a very big issue).

UCBooties

There is obviously a subset of PC gamers who take the whole PC Gamer Master Race mind set too far and plenty of them are far too eager to shit up almost any discussion related to gaming with their constant harping on their chosen platform's superiority. Those people are obnoxious and worthy of the same derission we heap onto any other species of fanboy.

HOWEVER, comparing a group as large as PC Gamers to an ideology that does actual harm on all levels of society is gross and petty to the extreme. Those kinds of broad-brush assumptions are damaging and only cause people to become defensive. This kind of statement is no better than the blanket accusations of "everyone in the FCG is abusive or an abuse appologist." Such statements only feed persecution narratives and increase the balkanization within enthusiast communities that leads to nonsense like GG or the Sad Puppies. Call out people who are behaving badly, don't make blanket assumptions about a group.

Idiot.

ViolentP

wow

Stop reading reddit

You're full of judgement

By a large margin, I see more people complaining about PCMRs than seeing the PCMRs themselves. A part of me hopes this was all part of the grand joke.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I know it did, and fully understand and even agree with the underlying sentiment, but the way people present PC gaming culture on the PCMR subreddit is so incredibly childish and inane.
Same has been done with console gamers with console wars. And its really not that many on PC saying that stuff and same in consoles. Thats a vocal minority overall.

Whompa02

Uhhhhh and Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony fanboys are somehow less "racist?"

PC gamer purists certainly can be, but don't forget some of the other fanboys out there.

Momentary

Banned
Not everyone has time to support, buy, and play games on multiple consoles. Even if they love games. Gaming is ultimately not as important as family or a career.

Building PCs is a hobby for me as well as playing games. Like you said, I don't have the money to buy consoles and buy the games for those. That's why I just stick to the PC platform since I get more out of it than just playing videogames or using software. I guess I could aesthetically customize consoles, but you can't really fool with their hardware.

Lister

Banned
Dumb to label all PC gamers this way, but I do raise my eyebrow at those that embrace the "PC Master Race" moniker.

You raise your eyebrow in the same way you raise your eyebrow at console gamers who act like console warriors, and who paint PC gamers or gamers on a competing console "Racists".

Or do you raise your eyebrow at "PC master Race" people in the same way you'd raise your eyebrows at racists?

ViviOggi

http://www.gamefaqs.com/

MMaRsu

Banned
There is obviously a subset of PC gamers who take the whole PC Gamer Master Race mind set too far and plenty of them are far too eager to shit up almost any discussion related to gaming with their constant harping on their chosen platform's superiority. Those people are obnoxious and worthy of the same derission we heap onto any other species of fanboy.

HOWEVER, comparing a group as large as PC Gamers to an ideology that does actual harm on all levels of society is gross and petty to the extreme. Those kinds of broad-brush assumptions are damaging and only cause people to become defensive. This kind of statement is no better than the blanket accusations of "everyone in the FCG is abusive or an abuse appologist." Such statements only feed persecution narratives and increase the balkanization within enthusiast communities that leads to nonsense like GG or the Sad Puppies. Call out people who are behaving badly, don't make blanket assumptions about a group.

Idiot.

Would edit that, mods dont look to kind on calling other gaf users idiots, even if it is warrented at times.

Mifec

By a large margin, I see more people complaining about PCMRs than seeing the PCMRs themselves. A part of me hopes this was all part of the grand joke.

On GAF I have only seen it thrown around as an insult by console gamers, I don't visit PC specific reddits so idk how bad it is there.

Zedark

This is just as true as saying that all console owners are in a perpetual fanboy war with the opposition: true for a small minority, but not at all applicable to the general population. I think that what he says about that specific small minority is correct: those people tend to spend their time belittling other people for preferring consoles and for not worrying about the highest framerates and graphical fidelity, and you see them belittling console exlcusives at any opportunity (often because these games don't stand toe to toe with 4K Ultra graphics). He should have specified this, but if he did, then his argument would crumble since the rest of the people (outside the majority) might actually have interest in PS4 Pro. This is a very weak argument from Pachter.

Pachter could've literally held a comparable story (with different subject matter) about console gamers, but he doesn't. That to me shows that he somehow has a bone to pick with PC gamers/gaming, a sad state for an industry analyst to be in.

Edit: Also, as for any demographic respresented on the internet (especially so for demographics that are closely tied to the internet, like PC gamers), the worst kind is usually the group that 1) is more likely to go on the internet and spew their awful opinions, and 2) is most often reported on precisely because of their awful opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom