• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The racist part is extremely dumb, but I agree that a very vocal part of the PC fanbase are extremely evangelic towards their preferred platform and dismissive of the console side.

Monetary concerns aside, I feel like anyone who claims to love games, but sticks to a single system (be it PC, handheld, console, or mobile) is being a fool.

This is the one of the worst analogies I've ever heard. We've all said stupid things, but his comment is even more stupid than usual. Oh well, he may figure it out and retract the statement.

Pachter's credibility has always been questionable, but this statement pretty much takes it to zero.

And I'm not even a PC gamer!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
"In an interview with the DailyStar"

lol

the most non-credible newspaper here in the UK, and that's saying something

nkarafo

Unfortunately I do know a decent amount of PC gamers who use the "PC master race" phrase unironically and genuinely believe it. It's kind of sad. Then I point out to them that the whole "PC master race" phrase was originally made as a slam against PC gamers, just to see their reaction.

I would never equate them to racists though.
Also, i can't imagine them being older than 12?

ViviOggi

In a sense he's not wrong.

But the analogy completely falls apart when you consider that racism has moral and ethical implications and preferring PC gaming over console gaming is just a personal preference.
And what sense is that

LiK

I would prefer to call (some of those people) snobs over the term "racist". Like the ones who say m/kb is the only way to play a PC game even tho flight sticks and racing wheels exist.

Akronis

Honestly there is nothing more fun than posting a Xbox picture on a PC enthusiast post on Facebook.

I just sit back and watch in glory of the posts!

I told them my phone was as equal as a PC the other day, gave me at least 24 hours worth of entertainment watching that unfold

So you have nothing better to do than to rile up a bunch of people on the internet for your entertainment? You sound fun.

Krisprolls

Banned
He has a point. I play both on my new PC and on PS4 and the PC community is usually the worst. It's like people feel the need to remind us about their machine in every thread (including purely console threads where they have no business trolling).

Most people aren't that rich and you need to justify the huge cost of a good PC (mine just cost $1000) so they probably feel kinda insecure about their purchase, which is understandable (on a psychological side of things, only reason why you'd troll every console thread is you feel insecure about your own purchase...) For that price you mostly get a better framerate and slightly better graphics, that's not much. Still, I love my PC as much as I love my PS4.

When you play both on consoles and on PC you usually love both and you realize gaming is great whatever the platform you play on. Sure, 60 fps is a nice bonus on PC, but that's all. And graphics are mostly the same (I know, I play on Ultra on 1440p+, but it doesn't look that much better than on my PS4).

People should spend more time playing and talking about games and gameplay anyway, less about technicals.

LordRaptor

idFOMV8.jpg

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Monetary concerns aside, I feel like anyone who claims to love games, but sticks to a single system (be it PC, handheld, console, or mobile) is being a fool.

This is not as dumb of a comment as Pachter's, but its up there!

He has a point. I play both on my new PC and on PS4 and the PC community is usually the worst. It's like people feel the need to remind us about their machine in every thread (including purely console threads where they have no business trolling).

Most people aren't that rich and you need to justify the huge cost of a good PC (mine just cost $1000) so they probably feel kinda insecure about their purchase, which is understandable. For that price you mostly get a better framerate and slightly better graphics, that's not much. Still, I love my PC and I'll continue to upgrade it.

When you play both on consoles and on PC you usually love both and you realize gaming is great whatever the platform you play on. Sure, 60 fps is a nice bonus on PC, but that's all. And graphics are mostly the same (I know, I play on Ultra on 1440p+, but it doesn't look that much better than on my PS4).

People should spend more time playing and talking about games and gameplay, less about technicals.

Nowhere in your rantings do you justify his point that PC gamers are like racists. So, what point does he have that PC gamers are like racists?

Mark L

I'm fine with consoles, so long as they mind their own business. I just don't want to see my daughter marrying one.

Corpekata

Banned
The basis for his idiocy doesn't even make sense. The average cross platform game is cross platform with PC, and the platform itself's neutral relationship means there's loss of race-mixi- errr cross pollination of console exclusives.

The PC is like the EU. Sure, there are Brexiters (Masterrace-ers), but those are silly people.

nkarafo

The racist part is extremely dumb, but I agree that a very vocal part of the PC fanbase are extremely evangelic towards their preferred platform and dismissive of the console side.
Because they prefer it.

There is nothing wrong claiming your system is better than someone else's. Or your car.

Rellik

I wouldn't go as far to say they're a fool, but you're definitely missing out if you restrict yourself to a single system. But I'm not going to hate on someone if they choose to do so.

Lister

Banned
So consoles are races now?

Sony is asian, Nintendo is... asian, Microsoft is white and nerdy.

So PC gamers hate asians and white nerds.... but PC gamers ARE white nerds... this is too confusing...

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i play mainly on pc but also own a PS4, xbox 360, and ps3. i have owned in the past an xbox one, ps2, ps1, psp, vita, nintendo wii, nintendo 64, nintendo gameboy, nintendo dsi, nintendo 3ds, and countless other non PC gaming platforms.

i personally think PC is the best platform out there for games but i really couldn't care what people play on be it a PC, ps4, xb1, ps vita, or their smartphone. all i want to see is people enjoying games.

I wouldn't go as far to say they're a fool, but you're definitely missing out if you restrict yourself to a single system. But I'm not going to hate on someone if they choose to do so.

I'm not hating. I just think it's a weird thing to do. It's like saying "I love food", but you only eat say, Mexican food, and totally ignore the merits of every Asian cuisine.

Momentary

Banned
Honestly there is nothing more fun than posting a Xbox picture on a PC enthusiast post on Facebook.

I just sit back and watch in glory of the posts!

I told them my phone was as equal as a PC the other day, gave me at least 24 hours worth of entertainment watching that unfold

That speaks volumes about your maturity. Can't really blame you if you're still in you angsty teenage years.

GeNoMe

I never did care much for Pachter and what he had to say. Thought of him as an idiot actually, glad he proved me right.

Wow, this might be even worse than the Leigh Alexander's "fuck gamers" shit.

And while people who believe in the whole "PC master race" shit are idiots, they aren't even good at being elitist. Taking pride in playing better versions of shit by Ubisoft and EA is laughable at best. I bet those kids ain't even played Alpha Centauri or Privateer or any truly incredible PC games. Man, forget that master race shit. If you're going to be an elitist jerk, at least do it right.

TL;DR I'm an ass.

Par Score

What the actual fuck. Pachter is normally a stand up guy (sure he gets stuff wrong sometimes, who doesn't?) so this seems so out of character for him.

Are there some assholes who think their shit doesn't stink because they game on a PC rather than a console? Sure. And don't get me started on the sincere "PC Master Race" douchebags. But they're the small but loud minority.

And even then, they're not like racists. Nobody ever got turned down for a job because the interviewer was a PC elitist and thought the person they were interviewing was a "console peasant". Nobody ever got shot by a cop carrying an Alienware laptop for playing on a PSP in public. It's an absolutely moronic and downright offensive analogy.

It's not even the most offensive to "PC Gamers", but rather to the genuinely persecuted minorities who are having their struggle diminished by having it compared to console wars level bullshit. So fucking dumb.

Wow, this might be even worse than the Leigh Alexander's "fuck gamers" shit.

Except Leigh never said that.

I swear, the people who got the most mad about that article never actually bothered to read it

HariKari

Seems like Pachter doesn't understand the key differences between the platforms. There's some overlap but there are major, major differences and that's why people who really like PC won't ever see something like PS4 pro as a possibility.

DrWong

And lol at people posting serious response. You can only laugh here, there's nothing to discuss abouta super dumb statement like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom