• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may not have been born at the time but there was a time when people on consoles were dying to play games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Diablo, Crysis, etc.

It happens more often than you think.

It's also not only about begging for PC games to consoles, but console game to another console. Anyway, point is, you have port beggers everywhere, and there's no one-side that prevails more than another.

joms5

It's also not only about begging for PC games to consoles, but console game to another console. Anyway, point is, you have port beggers everywhere, and there's no one-side that prevails more than another.

I completely agree. Just wanted to clarify for people who think it only goes one way.

I play most of my games on PC, but have had a PS4 since launch and I'm about to start playing Destiny for the first time.

If the game is available on PC, I will try to get it on PC, otherwise if the game seems great but is exclusive I get it on PS4.

Not that hard.

RK9039

I play most of my games on PC, but have had a PS4 since launch and I'm about to start playing Destiny for the first time.

If the game is available on PC, I will try to get it on PC, otherwise if the game seems great but is exclusive I get it on PS4.

Not that hard.

Look at this traitor.

giphy.gif

I've lurked for years on GAF before I signed up and I remember how Neogaf was in 2004-2005. During these years it was common to laugh at PC gaming with the prhase "pc gaming is dead".
And then WoW and Steam got big and then it was "There is no good games on PC besides WoW and Steam".
The reality is that the 128-bit consoles and games like Halo came when there was a low period for PC gaming. There is no denying that things weren't going swimmingly.

So what happened afterwards that as PC gaming got traction, PC gamers went INSANE on console gamers as retribution, and that is what we're seeing now.

I also think PC gamers and PC builders are antagonistic and afraid of closed down systems. They dont like Apple or consoles or Microsoft closing down Windows. These things are bad because it goes again PC as a open standard. they dont like not being able to mod, not owning their own games, having DRM or not being able to host their own servers and so on.
PC Gaming is about freedom and so some PC gamers latch out on others.

The treatment console gamers have gotten on this forum is not okay. And I say that as a PC gamer. Console games are not inferior to PC games, it is a different style of enjoying games. Its true that console gamers used to be dicks to PC gamers back in the day, but two wrongs don't make a right.

Hang on, one of these communities is not like the other ones.

You never stop. You love to beg for a port in XV threads and a quick look at your post history shows the following gem:

Sale begging

I can't believe you're still going lmao

Wow, congratulations: You skimmed through 7 pages of my post history to find a post... in the Steam thread. Which was about a humble bundle.
As I said, every communities as you call them are the same. What are you trying to prove ? PC Users being worse ? Good luck with that platform wars then.

seriously, he's just grasping at straws at this point. More of this and we'll have another greyname to add to the pile

I also think PC gamers and PC builders are antagonistic and afraid of closed down systems. They dont like Apple or consoles or Microsoft closing down Windows. These things are bad because it goes again PC as a open standard. they dont like not being able to mod, not owning their own games, having DRM or not being able to host their own servers and so on.
PC Gaming is about freedom and so some PC gamers latch out on others.

The treatment console gamers have gotten on this forum is not okay. And I say that as a PC gamer. Console games are not inferior to PC games, it is a different style of enjoying games. Its true that console gamers used to be dicks to PC gamers back in the day, but two wrongs don't make a right.
But I and many, many PC gamers also game on console.

But I and many, many PC gamers also game on console.

As far as I've been able to tell, that applies to a very large portion of the PC gamers on GAF. Which is part of why I don't understand Pachter's original comment to begin with (or those who feel like it's 'on point') - because no, in my experience, there are PC gamers who talk shit on consoles, but a whole heap of PC gamers are still playing games on other platforms including console and mobile.

The treatment console gamers have gotten on this forum is not okay. And I say that as a PC gamer.

I don't know what the heck you're talking about, to be frank. GAF has one of the more amiable, friendly, and helpful PC gaming communities out there. And yeah, PC gaming was laughed at around here back last gen, but you've got to remember that that didn't really even stop until the Xbox One and PS4 were released, as relatively underpowered consoles with reasonably priced high-spec PC alternatives. Since then, you'd be surprised to find just how little it takes to have someone convinced that you're acting elitist or overzealous over PC around here. People will sometimes ignore entire threads worth of mostly pleasant discussion in favor of letting one or two assholes or shitty remarks dictate their entire perception of GAF's PC gaming community - which is never fair.

I can't believe you're still going lmao

seriously, he's just grasping at straws at this point. More of this and we'll have another greyname to add to the pile

I love how he said a "quick search" all of that to skim through 11 pages of post history... to find one post about an humble bundle (in the Steam thread) and one joke with Hektor about Nier Automata, in the Steam thread again.

Literally does not make any sense at all.

It's THE CONTEXT. The context here is that Michael Pachter is comparing the zealotry of racists to the zealotry of PC gamers. That's it.

It's only when you cannot grasp that context that racism becomes an inappropriate comparison. I am and always will be with George Carlin on this one - I believe you can joke or make light of anything. That racism is a very real and very bad thing doesn't mean it can't be used in any other context.

Easily the most sensible post here.

This thread reached 20+ pages solely due to people latching onto a subsidiary word that Michael used in his primary point.

Notice how users enraged at him for "insulting" them paid no attention to the "twit" comment until he came in here & brought it up himself...and even then still chose to focus on the other word?

Zee-Row

Banned
I don't like the whole "PC Master Race" bullshit that PC fans like to throw but it really is a poor choice of words by Pachter considering the tension in race relations when it comes to Law Enforcement.

Consoles have a lot of great games not on PC, but i love my PC more because of the mods, replay an old game like Oblivion and change your experience with mods, can't do that with console, if console had modding then i gladly come back to comfy chair gaming...

PC Master Race is an embarrassing thing to say, always and every day.

Didn't Yahtzee first use it to make fun of PC gaming?

In anycase, it's pretty silly to see some people defend the usage of the term, it's a term used in reflection of the Aryan Race mentality Hitler used to kill millions. I don't know why you'd want an entire subreddit to be named as a reflection of that.

I don't like the whole "PC Master Race" bullshit that PC fans like to throw

Outside of the subreddit I'm pretty sure people with a bone to pick against PC gamers tend to throw it more. That certainly without question applies to GAF

It's THE CONTEXT. The context here is that Michael Pachter is comparing the zealotry of racists to the zealotry of PC gamers. That's it.

Personally, I'm not offended as though I'm being compared directly to a racist - I'm disappointed because Pachter saw fit to help perpetuate outdated and unfair stereotypes against PC gamers with his generalization. And I wouldn't use racists and other human scum as my metric for comparing the zealotry of childish platform warriors online, either. I get the context, but that still doesn't make for an accurate analogy as far as I'm concerned, not outside of a vocal minority of sad people (who ought not to, in 2016, continue to represent the PC community as a whole, as it's made big strides) at the very least.

derExperte

All that talk about context but we still don't know what was said word for word.

I'm tempted by the PS4 as a platform, because it has Persona 5 and Bloodborne on it.

The PS4 Pro specifically does nothing for me, but not because I'm some kind of analogue for racists.

If you know that you'll eventually want to get in I'd do it now while people and stores are offloading old 4s, should be possible to get one for ~200 or a good bundle.

Look at this traitor.

Me too. :(

In my defense I recently won the collection, gotta give it a spin and see how far the game has come since the imo terrible beta.

Randomizer

Didn't Yahtzee first use it to make fun of PC gaming?

In anycase, it's pretty silly to see some people defend the usage of the term, it's a term used in reflection of the Aryan Race mentality Hitler used to kill millions. I don't know why you'd want an entire subreddit to be named as a reflection of that.
Not to make fun of PC gaming per say. He used it in jest, making fun of the mindset of a very vocal subsection of PC gamers. Ironically they are the ones who have adopted the term and now use it non ironically.

It's only when you cannot grasp that context that racism becomes an inappropriate comparison. I am and always will be with George Carlin on this one - I believe you can joke or make light of anything. That racism is a very real and very bad thing doesn't mean it can't be used in any other context.
There are a million other ways you can go about making the same point without comparing it to racism

Comparing being an annoying fanboy - lets pretend console fanboys are any better - to racism just because of one particular aspect of if is silly. No one is going to go, hmm, yes, its definitely like racism if you take out everything that makes racism what it is except the obsession over something, thanks for comparing me to a mindset that has commited some of the greatest atrocities in history because I like to play fucking videogames on a computer.

Thats not even going into the gross generalization.

No one os going to go, hmm, yes, its definitely like racism if you take out everything that makes racism what it is except the obsession over something, thanks for comparing me to a mindset that has commited some of the greatest atrocities in history because I like to play fucking videogames on a computer better than on a console.

I wouldn't say no-one. There are posts in here that suggest otherwise

LordRaptor

The treatment console gamers have gotten on this forum is not okay.

piX1huv.gif

Notice how users enraged at him for "insulting" them paid no attention to the "twit" comment until he came in here & brought it up himself...and even then still chose to focus on the other word?

I find the usage of a serious real world problem to describe what is a mild annoyance offensive, not the generalising idiocy of "all Pc gamers be like...".

BigEmil

That's obviously not true. You will always see much more PC users port begging than any other platform user there's no denying that.

But what if you actually are superior? (Asking for a friend)

Where preferences are concerned, there is no such thing. Which is what makes the people harping on and on about this as annoying as they are to the reasonably minded.

uhh, I think there's plenty of room to deny that. Could you give me just one example of a thread going down like that here at GAF?

Can't we just be honest with each other? You would honestly say that, for games like Bloodborne and Persona 5, there were more people audible wishing it came to xbox than there were people wishing they "just release it on PC, I don't get why don't just do it, what's the point of console exclusives."

That's another form it takes, the frequent lamenting of console exclusives as a whole. Or mentioning in a thread "man, can you imagine if x amazing first party developer released their game on PC! They'd look so good!" I see those things happen far more often than I see PC exclusive threads being overwhelmed by these types of comment by console gamers.

BigEmil

uhh, I think there's plenty of room to deny that. Do you have an example of a thread going down like that around here at least?
Not GAF I meant everywhere else like other sites, forums, youtube etc. Actually still in GAF there are more PC users port begging. Its just there are less here because its one of the rules in this forum you can't portbeg..but there are some workarounds but still its seen frowned upon in this forum that's why you wouldn't see it much here. Also there are Many dedicated port-begging threads to PC look at those Sega port to PC threads for example etc lol

LordRaptor

Could you give me just one example of a thread going down like that here at GAF?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1055274
Couldn't even make it to post 5 without the port begging derailment starting

fake edit: Oh, it was confirmation bias the other way?
Sorry, couldn't find any, and I checked FFXV announcement, DQ Heroes announcement, and SO5 announcement threads looking.
All I saw there were PS4 owners going "Man, fuck PS3 owners, this shoulda been a PS4 exclusive"

xJavonta

Banned
What is the point, then? That racism is bad, so we shouldn't ever, ever, EVER be anything less than 100% serious about it?

Fuck that. Context is king, not words themselves. And I wonder how many of these moral crusaders have ever made a Hitler or _____ nazi joke.

Sounds like a whole bunch of you would be well served to watch this.

They're only words.

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

As a black person that deals with racism every fucking day, you need to sit down and shut up.

They're just words. I can't believe how dim some people are.

Not GAF I meant everywhere else like other sites, forums, youtube etc. Actually still in GAF there are more PC users port begging. Its just there are less here because its one of the rules in this forum you can't portbeg..but there are some workarounds but still its seen frowned upon in this forum that's why you wouldn't see it much here. Also look at those Sega port begging to PC threads etc lol

It's been pointed out elsewhere in this thread but here on GAF at least, there are more apparent examples of PC->console portbegging as of late than the alternative. Not sure which threads you're talking about when you're referencing Sega ports though. I'm really not sure where you're seeing this port-begging outside of Youtube comments but eh, who knows.

That's obviously not true. You will always see much more PC users port begging than any other platform user there's no denying that.

Of course it is true. There's obviously denying that, unless you have facts or just what you prefer to see. In any case, you will always have exemples of pc users port begging or ps4/vita/wiiu/3ds/nx/xb1 users port begging. Let's remember that infamous Bayonetta 2 thread for instance. Or the Rise of the Tomb Raider one.

Personally -- and I'm not trying to make excuses for obnoxious behavior -- but I think "port begging" for PC versions is often times understandable just in terms of trying to understand what the status of it is. Port begging as far as I'm concerned is problematic when the system wars stuff distracts from discussion about the game. Like when it's clear that First Party X has secured exclusivity for Game Y, there's no point in whining about how you want it on System Z. It's not going to happen, at least not as long as there is an exclusivity deal in place (after all, some of these deals are timed). But when a game is announced as multiplatform but with no PC version, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about the status of a PC deal. After all, there's clearly no legal reason why such a version doesn't exist. So many games get PC releases nowadays.

Now if the developer does clearly state that there are no plans for a PC version now, I would agree that it doesn't help anything to derail conversation whining about the lack of a PC release. But I just think initial inquiry about the possible release of a PC version isn't problematic.

To put it another way, there's a difference in my mind between a genuine search for clarity and whining because you aren't getting your way. Something like "will there eventually be a PC release?" or "I hope it releases on PC some day" are worlds apart from something like "What, no PC release? Fuck those clowns!"

120v

guys... Patcher's a 50 something analyst with a wife and kids whose profession happens to intersect with the gaming community. he's only going to have a peripheral grasp of "gamer culture" and make sweeping generalities when inquired about it. he does this sort of thing a lot

it's like getting riled up about your grandpa off handedly saying obama's a muslim or whatever

TwiztidElf

Hard not to side with Pachter on this one.

It's clearly a poorly written beat up. Their<>there just confirms the poor standard.

I find the usage of a serious real world problem to describe what is a mild annoyance offensive, not the generalising idiocy of "all Pc gamers be like...".

Except he didn't equate the two as a whole. He compared one aspect of the two to illustrate a separate point (zealotry). Said differently:

An apple is red.
A Nazi flag is red.

If somebody says he likes apples, is he also an antisemite?

uhh, I think there's plenty of room to deny that. Could you give me just one example of a thread going down like that here at GAF?

Not GAF I meant everywhere else like other sites, forums, youtube etc. Actually still in GAF there are more PC users port begging. Its just there are less here because its one of the rules in this forum you can't portbeg..but there are some workarounds but still its seen frowned upon in this forum that's why you wouldn't see it much here. Also there are Many dedicated port-begging threads to PC look at those Sega port to PC threads for example etc lol

It is somewhat intuitive, since it is a bit more similar to asking for blurays of films 5 years ago than just wanting the release in your platform of choice. A port of , say Gravity Rush 2 to the NX or Xbox only means that you don't have to buy two systems in most cases. A port to PC always has the double dip baggage attached because you can get extra stuff out of playing it again on a new quality if you can afford it. Like a new scan of the the print given to a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom