• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviyoung

Banned
I never stated I was a historian. Sorry I rustled your jimmies.

I called you out on a shitty opinion masquerading as fact, made a joke of it that you either didn't get or ignored out of a need to double-down on your opinion and you have the audacity to say that you rustled MY jimmies?

Well I never!

PC Master Race is not derogatory.

mXyupD1.gif

Schnauzer

I'm trying to understand this.

The Xbox One offered me nothing now that Forza and Killer Instinct is on PC so I sold it.
The PS4 Pro doesn't include 4K blu-ray support so I'm going to pass.

PC has more options. Why not just invest the money I would of in a PS4 Pro in better hardware?

So logical decisions have turned me into a PC gamer. Nothing more. Why is this guy important?

LordRaptor

And again, context is king. I refer to the master:

"It’s the user. It’s the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language.

Bullshit! It’s the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad.

So the context of someone who has never suffered from racism using the term racism to describe a thing he... finds a bit annoying? I guess? is completely appropriate to you?
A term that has the meaning of "a thing I am scared is going to kill me" to many?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

Even taking the out-of-context issue into account, I still don't quite understand your assertion that PC gamers are insular.

If anything, I'd say console exclusives by and large transitioning to 'console+PC' exclusive is leading to a gamer, if they so desire, be largely able to survive on just PC (minus Nintendo offerings, for now).

How that equates to 'insular', I'm not following.

Especially by following up with a giant 'racist' brushstroke.

Corpekata

Banned
Are you basically attributing GamerGate to PC gamers?

The... people with the anime avatars?

Really?

Yeah, it's bizarre, especially when you consider one of the last notable actions of that group and its' ilk was the Alison Rapp issue where they thought she was SJWing up their Fire Emblem games.

There is a STRONG public association between that audience and people that love Japanese games, which is hardly something the PC platform is known for.

BluFish

Banned
ITT: Comparing people to Nazis is not derogatory

They self identify as part of the PC Master Race. If it was started as an insult, it surely isn't now. And yet, I find it interesting the term was created to reference people who are totally not xenophobic.

Meanwhile, many PC gamers refer to console gamers as a lower lifeform, or peasants. But no, they aren't cliquey or insular.

It comes down to money. Same as any other hobby out there. You have the mainstream consumer who goes and buys the "regular stuff." Then you have the enthusiast, hardcore segment who are willing to drop more money for extra performance, bragging rights, etc.

It is unfortunate that a lot of people take statements as to why some things are just plain better as attacks. Ever since this generation started I've been gaming on my PS4 only. And even though I don't game on pc at the moment, I know that it is vastly superior to current consoles in many, many different factors with the exception being "1st party exclusives."

However I won't lie that there is a certain minority of pc gamers that are complete douchebags, but this segment exists on any hobby. On the console side you have console warriors doing the same thing.

Armaros

They self identify as part of the PC Master Race. If it was started as an insult, it surely isn't now. And yet, I find it interesting the term was created to reference people who are totally not xenophobic.

Meanwhile, many PC gamers refer to console gamers as a lower lifeform, or peasants. But no, they aren't cliquey or insular.

Goal Posts, how do they move.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
It certainly isn't, but I can see why you think that if you mostly visit threads related to consoles.

No, you chose to assign them to a group. Doesn't matter what they say.

It certainly is, actually. what requests are there going the other way? Undertale? The Sims 4?

If you behave obnoxious, you are assigned to the group of obnxoious people. Too bad.

BluFish

Banned
We're in a thread about someone doing exactly that, packed with people following suit!

Jesus Christ! Are you fucking kidding me?

Pachter drawing an anology, correct or incorrect, is nowhere near the level of maliciously shitting on and insulting someone for their platform choice, as PC gamers are wont to do.

Armaros

Pachter drawing an anology, correct or incorrect, is nowhere near the level of maliciously shitting on and insulting someone for their platform choice, as PC gamers are wont to do.

yes calling the behavior of a massive group of people to be just like racism is not malicious as all.

And yet people tried to tell me racism is not normalized at all.

PC gamers own the term. If people think they are insulting PC gamers by using it, they are mistaken.

And you speak for all PC gamers i presume.

Dremorak

Banned
I have a good PC, I love all the great things that come along with that. However, I still play just as much on my 3ds, wiiU, and PS3 (and sometimes Xbox 360)

As others have said its just a vocal minority that says hyperbolic things about "pc master race"

FStop7

Banned
I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

It can be boiled down to a simple question: did you compare a societal condition in which people are routinely discriminated against, marginalized, and even murdered under the authority of the state for the "crime" of having been born with dark skin to the trialz and tribulationz of video gamezzzzzz?

Mivey

Find me a post from the last three years where someone who isn't openly shitting on PC gamers used that phrase.
Wait? PC gamers don't use that actively and nonironically? Dammit, and here I was spraypainting a swastika on my case.
Hmm, I guess I could still make it look like a maze . . .

FLAguy954

I don't own a console, but I don't have anything against anyone owning a console. I'm just more comfortable on PC. I don't think I'm better for it.

So not owning a console is like being a close minded racist?

Exactly.

No knock against anyone who plays on consoles or has a combination of PC and a console(s), I respect you decision but consoles just don't do it for me anymore.

Sanctuary

Gotta love whoever was in charge of writing that.

“I think PC Gamers are like racists; they only like there own kind

Anyway, it just seems like he's going the route of celebrity gossip, since he hasn't been in the news lately, and has nothing to actually guess wrong on right now. I've been gaming on PC since '97, and I've also purchased the majority of the home consoles. Now what?

derExperte

I think it's kind of frustrating as a PC fan watching these pissing matches when you realize that there's always better stuff out there and around the corner and it very likely isn't in the current console box.

Perfect post, got nothing more to add.

It certainly is, actually. what requests are there going the other way? Undertale? The Sims 4?

If you behave obnoxious, you are assigned to the group of obnxoious people. Too bad.

You apparently didn't read the System Shock Kickstarter thread before mods deleted the worst posts and a PS4 version got announced. Any XCOM2 news became a 'wish it was on PS4' wasteland. Tomb Raider, couldn't talk about the game without derailments.

I just had to see the header of the linked article to know it's from a garbo publication. Anyway, as an individual who plays mostly on the PC (like 95% or so) I have to distance myself from a lot of PC oriented places because there seems to be all too often groups of people I cannot stand. Yes, that includes rampart racism, sexism, and other sorts of bigotry. The main reason I use GAF is because that sort of nonsense is prevalent to a much lesser degree here, as the moderation does a good job of curbing that behavior.

So the context of someone who has never suffered from racism using the term racism to describe a thing he... finds a bit annoying? I guess? is completely appropriate to you?

In the context it was used in, yes.

Point of fact: Pach didn't describe anything or anyone as racist. He said 'this is like this, and here's how.'

A term that has the meaning of "a thing I am scared is going to kill me" to many?

Uh, that's what racism means to literally everybody. Whatever race you are, there's a racist person out there who'd kill you for being you.

But I think what you're asking is if I think there was anything wrong with using the word racist, **in this context**, while police violence against black people has been an ongoing issue in our country. Nope, I don't.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Perfect post, got nothing more to add.

You apparently didn't read the System Shock Kickstarter thread before mods deleted the worst posts and a PS4 version got announced. XCOM2 threads became 'wish it was on PS4' wastelands. Tomb Raider, couldn't talk about the game without derailments.

Edit: I like the physical properties of steam.

But anyways, going on to your reply, we're talking about the exceptions to the norm, whereas PC portbegging is everywhere.

petghost

Banned
thats pretty inflammatory language to use to describe something as trivial as what platform people choose to play video games on, no matter how annoying they are. using the word casually like that makes it less effective when it is actually applicable imo.

MUnited83

For you.
You've got to admit there is a pretty big VISIBILITY disparity between the twats on console and the twats on PC. You don't really see Nintendo fan boys doxxing female devs or threatening journalists. Yes they do it, but it's usually attributed to the PC folks. Face it, PC gamers have a pretty bad image problem in the public domain. Deserved or not, it's the way it is

Considering one of the biggest most recent cases of that were of people doxxing a Nintendo employee because their Nintendo game was getting censored, i'd say you are 100% wrong on this.

martino

But anyways, going on to your reply, we're talking about the exceptions to the norm, whereas PC portbegging is everywhere.

seems to me this generation context make everybody wondering if a third party title not planned on a platform will come later and it's not pc specific. (and there are lot of cases to back thoses assumptions now from pc to console and console to pc )
your reaction seems to be a console centric perception of things.

Big One

Banned
Uh not really. Most PC gamers do actually branch out frequently, but even if they didn't there's nothing objectively wrong with it. Hell the majority of gamers in general only own one of the big 2 (Xbox and Playstation) due to cost reasons. It has nothing to do with not wanting to branch out.

Mudcrab

No, that wasn't a perfect post, it's dismissive, and the kind of attitude that Patcher (misguidedly) is referring to. Sony and Nintendo's exclusive are very often that "better stuff", let's be real here.

You can tell EleventhHourSuperpower is the kind of guy who gets upset when PC versions of console games are announced.

I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

Appreciate you stopping by Michael.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom