• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Of course we are. I beat my Wii U constantly, it's a fucking stain in my room.

I like how everyone just talks about PC Gamers as if we all have our minds connected through the way superior power of our PC's.
add me on steam and discord breh, we'll fuse our minds. Probably only takes 1-2% of your insanely powerful CPU to do it, too.

Armaros

I know.

I know.

"Like racists" in that they have some zealotry towards something, yes. Not like, you know, they hate other human beings based on the color of their skin.

It isn't INappropriate, either. The world doesn't need language police like you dictating what words are and are not necessary for any given situation. I say let's just keep things the way they are, where you, me, and Michael Pachter express ourselves in whatever way we see fit, without consulting an authority.

Definitely not what you are doing right now about criticisms vs Pachter. /s

Hektor

Of course we are. I beat my Wii U constantly, it's a fucking stain in my room.

I like how everyone just talks about PC Gamers as if we all have our minds connected through the way superior power of our PC's.

Shit, did we missed you? Look into your PM's for an invite.

Not gonna bother explaining to you how they're one in the same.

It makes sense though. As a PC Gamer, the only things I've played on outside of my PC are Wii U, Vita, 3DS, and Android.

The big games on PS4 and XBO are not exactly system sellers. I had a 360 and a PS3 forever because they had legit amazing games I couldn't get anywhere else. Now it's basically, "buy this crappy version of your gaming PC because couch or game with cutscenes and QTEs!"

Oh, okay. That's a perfectly valid opinion you've got there, and I have no problem with you holding it. I'm just saying Pach didn't do or say anything wrong.

Definitely not what you are doing right now about criticisms vs Pachter. /s

Uh, yes, it literally is the opposite of that. I'm the one defending his use of language, not telling anyone else what they should or shouldn't be saying.

I think you're confusing my attacking what I believe to be stupid ***ideas and opinions*** with policing language.

TPghJsi.png

LordRaptor

It isn't INappropriate, either. The world doesn't need language police like you dictating what words are and are not necessary for any given situation. I say let's just keep things the way they are, where you, me, and Michael Pachter express ourselves in whatever way we see fit, without consulting an authority.

No, it IS inappropriate.

Like, I can link to a funny Louis CK routine about how he calls thing faggy but isn't being homophobic by doing so, or a Chris Rock routine about how he hates niggers.
Those are then acceptable terms to use to describe consumer purchasing habits?
No? Why not?
The "language police"?

what-ok

What an ignorant human. To compare PC gaming to racism is completely inappropriate. Racism is a serious problem and for a privileged white male to make that statement is insulting.

BluFish

Banned
Yea because they represent the majority of PC gamers..plus most people on there are taking the piss. It's the internet, people like to fuck about.

Regardless, PC gamers are objectively more insular. I don't think I've ever seen a person who mainly plays on consoles completely shit on PC gamers the way they shit on console gamers.

Sure, it may be in jest for some, but there is a thread of honesty in their opinions.

He just went right past the neutral term "elitist" and decided to use a socially complicated one like "racist."

Let me guess, he predicted people wouldn't mind?

Regardless, PC gamers are objectively more insular. I don't think I've ever seen a person who mainly plays on consoles completely shit on PC gamers the way they shit on console gamers.

Sure, it may be in jest for some, but there is a thread of honesty in their opinions.

Have you read through this thread?

What I got form his comment here is that he used the word "racism", but perhaps not in this specific comparison. Like, it wasn't an off-the-cuff statement where he made it a point to compare PC gaming to racism, and that that's rather a construction of the person who wrote the article.

Yup, sure did:

To all console players right here (except the Nintendo dudes):

Do you know that you are currently playing on x86_64 based PCs, right?

Actually, old&slow PCs, despite the new Pro and Scorpio, with no future over 2 years from now.

So all of you are already playing on PC.

My question is: are all of you retards?

:)

Fisty

When was the last time there was a thread where the actual discussion essentially amounted to something like, "Sony fans are terrible, and here's why I feel that way"?

I'm pretty sure this is like the second one like this for PC gamers this month.

You've got to admit there is a pretty big VISIBILITY disparity between the twats on console and the twats on PC. You don't really see Nintendo fan boys doxxing female devs or threatening journalists. Yes they do it, but it's usually attributed to the PC folks. Face it, PC gamers have a pretty bad image problem in the public domain. Deserved or not, it's the way it is

mjp2417

Banned

I'm sure you have data to back that up, particularly as it is an "objective" claim. Feel free to share!

Corpekata

Banned
You've got to admit there is a pretty big VISIBILITY disparity between the twats on console and the twats on PC. You don't really see Nintendo fan boys doxxing female devs or threatening journalists. Yes they do it, but it's usually attributed to the PC folks. Face it, PC gamers have a pretty bad image problem in the public domain. Deserved or not, it's the way it is

How are your examples related to PC gamers? What PC gamers doxxed developers and threatened journalists?

Regardless, PC gamers are objectively more insular. I don't think I've ever seen a person who mainly plays on consoles completely shit on PC gamers the way they shit on console gamers..
I see stuff like "PC virgins fucking mad LOL" and "spend $4000 on PC and still not as good as PS4 LOL" plenty all over the net.

Fanboys are fanboys, they are equal on all platforms.

No, it IS inappropriate.

Like, I can link to a funny Louis CK routine about how he calls thing faggy but isn't being homophobic by doing so, or a Chris Rock routine about how he hates niggers.
Those are then acceptable terms to use to describe consumer purchasing habits?
No? Why not?
The "language police"?

It's not comparing like with like. Those words are slurs that refer to minority groups; nobody gives a fuck about racists.

And again, context is king. I refer to the master:

"It’s the user. It’s the intention behind the words that makes them good or bad. The words are completely neutral. The words are innocent. I get tired of people talking about bad words and bad language.

Bullshit! It’s the context that makes them good or bad. The context. That makes them good or bad.

For instance, you take the word “Nigger.” There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word “Nigger” in and of itself. It’s the racist asshole who’s using it that you ought to be concerned about.

We don’t care when Richard Pryor or Eddie Murphy say it. Why? Because we know they’re not racist.

They’re Niggers! Context. Context.

We don’t mind their context because we know they’re black.
Hey, I know I’m whitey, the blue-eyed devil, paddy, o-fay, gray boy, honkey mother-fucker myself. Don’t bother my ass.

They’re only words. You can’t be afraid of words that speak the truth, even if it’s an unpleasant truth, like the fact that there’s a bigot and a racist in every living room on every street corner in this country."

The context of Chris Rock standing on stage and using that word is different than Michael Pachter sitting behind a desk and using it. Context means that you can't just take a quote from someone else in a different environment and confront me with "What if Michael Pachter said this?!"

Edit: And the context here is that we know Michael Pachter is a nice guy who wasn't saying that PC users hate human beings based on their skin color. WE KNOW THAT, and it cannot be ignored.

This is...the Daily Star. I think it slightly edges out the Daily Mail for worst piece of shit paper in Britain. Do not read, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

BluFish

Banned

This is a thread specifically talking about PC gamers being shitty. Of course you're going to have ideological, fanboy-ish arguments here. But I still haven't read anything in this thread as nasty as some of the shit I've seen on PC-centric sites.

Look, I'm a PC gamer. I own a PS4 but barely play it. I'm simply stating what I have seen as someone who has gamed on PCs since the mid-90's.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The Daily Star: A Classic source of quality journalism.

The "Takes PC Master Race seriously" crowd ARE the console war group turned up a notch to go from "Your platform choice it wrong" to "Your entire platform category is wrong", so that's not very sociable. But console war guys aren't anyway, so they're never worth anyone's attention.

Unfortunate for Mr Pachter. Shame on Daily Star.

I see stuff like "PC virgins fucking mad LOL" and "spend $4000 on PC and still not as good as PS4 LOL" plenty all over the net.

Fanboys are fanboys, they are equal on all platforms.

Yeah, I think it often times just kind of depends on what threads you're reading and how arguments are framed. Like I admit that there are probably times where console-centric players probably have legitimate gripes with people constantly wanting to remind everyone that console tech isn't as good as high end PC hardware that is constantly being updated. But at the same time, I do think that there are grounds for PC hardware fans to get annoyed at moving goal post arguments wherein it seems like tech is extremely important only up to the point of appearing to max out what one's favorite hardware can do.

I'm not saying everyone is a hypocrite or trying to call out a perceived hive mind, but it's hard to shake the feeling that an arbitrary line gets drawn right now by Sony fans wherein the tech advantage afforded by the PS4 is an extremely big deal, but it's not a big deal at all that better PC hardware exists seeing as how only the five richest kings of Europe can afford it. Likewise, any advantage offered by Scorpio probably won't be a big deal either. And I'm sure that there will be Microsoft fans next year that will have spent the previous four years acting like the advantages of the PS4 weren't that important that will now see the superior hardware of Scorpio as a major selling point.

I think it's kind of frustrating as a PC fan watching these pissing matches when you realize that there's always better stuff out there and around the corner and it very likely isn't in the current console box.

Fisty

How are your examples related to PC gamers? What PC gamers doxxed developers and threatened journalists?

I thought I was pretty clear, but it's not a matter of PC gamers actually doing those things. The public perception is that it is PC gamers doing that stuff. That's the problem: image.

Corpekata

Banned
I thought I was pretty clear, but it's not a matter of PC gamers actually doing those things. The public perception is that it is PC gamers doing that stuff. That's the problem: image.

How is it? I have NEVER seen anything about like Gamergate or whatever that suggested the perpetrators were specifically PC gamers. If you asked a random person about doxxing female devs they aren't going to say it was PC gamers, they're just going to say gamers in general (presuming they even have a fucking clue what you're talking about). Your "public perception" has next to no basis in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom