• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that wasn't a perfect post, it's dismissive, and the kind of attitude that Patcher (misguidedly) is referring to. Sony and Nintendo's exclusive are very often that "better stuff", let's be real here.

But anyways, going on to your reply, we're talking about the exceptions to the norm, whereas PC portbegging is everywhere.

Yeah, I'm tired by this kind of silliness. Portbegging is everywhere. Every fanboys portbeg for one reason or another. It's tiring to read people claiming shitty behaviour is exclusive to one side. You have silly fanboys in every fanbases, claiming to be superior than other fanbases because of more games or better graphics and portbegging for games not on their favorite platform.

And let's not forget the very persons we saw on gaf getting "physically ill" or getting "stomach pain" or "wishing one game was cancelled on one platform so that it becomes exclusive" after game was announced to PC.

And speaking only for myself, even as a PC fan I feel like it's kind of silly to be smug because it's very often the case that even segregated off, my rig ain't shit compared to other people's. Like I bought a 980 Ti last summer when it first came out. It might have been tempting to look at the performance I was getting out of something like Witcher 3 relative to the performance out of the PS4 version of Witcher 3, but then I remember that there were people running SLI Titan X's with a better CPU than my 4790k and better cooling solutions for better overclocks and more, faster RAM, etc. and I realize that I didn't really have anything to brag about. And now there are people out there rocking 1080s and Titan X Pascal cards and my rig certainly isn't the fastest thing on the block. The understanding that this tech is always advancing and you can always throw more money at it if you want personally keeps any perceived sense of superiority in check for me.

Tagyhag

You've got to admit there is a pretty big VISIBILITY disparity between the twats on console and the twats on PC. You don't really see Nintendo fan boys doxxing female devs or threatening journalists. Yes they do it, but it's usually attributed to the PC folks. Face it, PC gamers have a pretty bad image problem in the public domain. Deserved or not, it's the way it is

I disagree.

When I see GG assholes I don't think "You damn PC gamers" I think "You damn idiots".

If people are jumping to the conclusion that its solely PC gamers doing all that bad shit, then they had problems with PC gamers in the first place and are just trying to justify their hatred.

Fishook

As as a PC gamer of over 20 years, who has only dabbled briefly in consoles, I all depends on the type of games you enjoy playing. Unless you are prepared to invest some serious money and upgrades you are not going to play AAA games after two to three years on budget rigs.

I.e will a 750ti still cut it playing the latest releases. A console is far the better choice for the vast majority of gamers. I could never go back to having a console as my main system but that's just me. But quite happy to play console centric games such as Forza etc,

PC gaming is more open to niche games, and people like Micheal Patcher can't understand that a lot of people don't want to follow the popular crowd. I have never played Mindcraft, Ark, Wow, lol, Dota2, LfD2 to name a few, so would'nt call me a typical PC gamer in a lot of people's eyes.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yeah, I'm tired by this kind of silliness. Portbegging is everywhere. Every fanboys portbeg for one reason or another. It's tiring to read people claiming shitty behaviour is exclusive to one side. You have silly fanboys in every fanbases, claiming to be superior than other fanbases because of more games or better graphics and portbegging for games not on their favorite platform.

Hang on, one of these communities is not like the other ones.

You never stop. You love to beg for a port in XV threads and a quick look at your post history shows the following gem:

Seeing Okami on Humble Bundle. PS3 version, no PC. Me mad and sad :")

Sale begging

tuxfool

Banned

You never stop. You love to beg for a port in XV threads and a quick look at your post history shows the following gem:

Sale begging

Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence of it being "everywhere". People have already given you examples of the reverse. Your self-selecting bias completely prevents you from seeing otherwise.

Steel

Banned
Edit: I like the physical properties of steam.

But anyways, going on to your reply, we're talking about the exceptions to the norm, whereas PC portbegging is everywhere.

I've seen console port begging in pretty much every thread with a PC exclusive. Hell, there's console port-begging in every thread about DD:A PC and it's not even an exclusive. It was the same with Valkyria Chronicles PC until the remaster was announced, too.

No, that wasn't a perfect post, it's dismissive, and the kind of attitude that Patcher (misguidedly) is referring to. Sony and Nintendo's exclusive are very often that "better stuff", let's be real here.

let's be real here
By something completely subjective? Suuure.

There's no "owner" of PC, because of that complete "exclusives" are rare for PC, that explains why there's not as much "portbegging" from consoles to PC. There's also the fact that, in general, gaming tastes are more varied for the PC playerbase, as having a library of games that extends over 20 years helps with that, so PC players are more interested in "console" games than the opposite. Just take a look at the recent League of Legends thread, the biggest game on the planet right now, and how a bunch of people didn't even knew about the game or could possibly believe it had that many players.
That "increase in portbegging" is a consequence of the platform, not necessarily because PC gamers are jealous trolls or something.

Sale begging

Wow, congratulations: You skimmed through 7 pages of my post history to find a post... in the Steam thread. Which was about a humble bundle.
As I said, every communities as you call them are the same. What are you trying to prove ? PC Users being worse ? Good luck with that platform wars then.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence of it being "everywhere". People have already given you examples of the reverse.

Just view his post history, you'll find evidence of it being everywhere. He is trying to sound high and mighty when he is probably the worst.

Here's a taste from prior to Nier Automata's PC annoucement:

I'm waiting for the pc version bundled with Nier Automata PC version as a pre-order bonus :")

Anyways, I'm out.

Carcetti

PC Master Race is an embarrassing thing to say, always and every day.

However, let's be real here. Pachter was trolling Neogaf all the way when he said that and is probably now browsing this thread, snickering to himself.

A lot of PC gamers act like I'm human garbage because I bought a pre-built PC instead of building my own. Why do they care how I spend my money?

As long as it's wasn't Alienware you're good :p

PC Master Race is an embarrassing thing to say, ever.

However, let's be real here. Pachter was trolling Neogaf all the way when he said that and is probably now browsing this thread, snickering to himself.

IDK I think what Pachter said is way more embarrassing than a tongue in cheek meme.

martino

A lot of PC gamers act like I'm human garbage because I bought a pre-built PC instead of building my own. Why do they care how I spend my money?

pc is all about choices (and difficulties/costs than could come with them)
missing that is missing the real strength of the platform (being it's open)
it's also its flaw , it all depend on what you are looking for.

tuxfool

Banned
Just view his post history, you'll find evidence of it being everywhere. He is trying to sound high and mighty when he is probably the worst.

Here's a taste:

Anyways, I'm out.

Still not "everywhere". You're going to have to produce more than that as evidence. You should make it your mission to get every one of those banned, it seems like you'd get satisfaction from that. At least it would spare us your interminable whining on this issue.

derExperte

And let's not forget the very persons we saw on gaf getting "physically ill" or getting "stomach pain" or "wishing one game was cancelled on one platform so that it becomes exclusive" after game was announced to PC.

Playing MGS on a non-Sony platform is just wrong, I tell you!

The NieR Automata PC announcement didn't sit well with everyone.

Also what about the newest trend, PS4 Pro patch begging? I'm only half kidding, I get it to an extent but some of those threads are truly scary.

Sale begging

So when I bring up examples they're exceptions, if you go digging around it's everywhere. That's what Steve Youngblood was talking about, hypocrisy (note that I'm not saying PC gamers are innocent and shouldn't be called out).

Solrac

i grew up playing video games, i dont care which system, i just love video games, but i have to agree that lately the pc community ( not all of it but majority ) has become more popular and even create that term ( master race ) and i dont like it one bit, they look so arrogant, etc

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Anyways, I'm out.

almost all of his stuff is in the steam thread where we often talk about games we hope to see come to the platform, we don't derail the thread and it hurts ABSOLUTELY NO ONE.
Often the games end up there and we end up playing and talking about it in there.

Or is all portbegging so bad when it's contained in a community thread about a gaming platform?

Personally I only think it's bad when it disrupts unrelated threads about the games, that's when I think it's absolutely intolerable.

Corpekata

Banned

Anyways, I'm out.

If you want to backseat mod so much you ought to talk to a few mods about why the rule exists.

Hint: Posting random wishes in a Steam thread is not port begging. If he had derailed Nier threads themselves, it would be.

If you want to backseat mod so much you ought to talk to a few mods about why the rule exists.

Hint: Posting random wishes in a Steam thread is not port begging. If he had derailed Nier threads themselves, it would be.

Not only that it was in the Steam thread, it was also out of context. But whatever, after 11 pages of searching throught my posts, he couldn't come back empty hands :p

mkenyon

Banned
And speaking only for myself, even as a PC fan I feel like it's kind of silly to be smug because it's very often the case that even segregated off, my rig ain't shit compared to other people's. Like I bought a 980 Ti last summer when it first came out. It might have been tempting to look at the performance I was getting out of something like Witcher 3 relative to the performance out of the PS4 version of Witcher 3, but then I remember that there were people running SLI Titan X's with a better CPU than my 4790k and better cooling solutions for better overclocks and more, faster RAM, etc. and I realize that I didn't really have anything to brag about. And now there are people out there rocking 1080s and Titan X Pascal cards and my rig certainly isn't the fastest thing on the block. The understanding that this tech is always advancing and you can always throw more money at it if you want personally keeps any perceived sense of superiority in check for me.
I don't think it's just about power though.

All single platform fanboys are like that, all platforms have it, the problem is that pc only fanboys, even if they are just 13, can bring a class angle to it because it is not subjective that they bought a bigger, faster, more expensive toy. But it is not different from Sega vs Nintendo. None is like racism, it is more like classism in some cases, if anything.

Now old school PC gamers that are elitist because of design and gameplay, the Codex type, are another story.

Apathy

The second I saw the word twit in there I knew that could not possible be a direct quote form Pachter. It's a really british idiom and the fact that they try passing it as a direct quote is actually really terrible journalism.

Well he is right about PC players not being tempted by ps4 tbh. At least that is true for me. But the scorpio is a little intriguing to me. I need to learn more of course. I probably won't because... of many reasons, but I am at least intrigued.

I tweeted him, I hope he takes it as the joke it is.

.eJwVxssNgzAMANBdMkBMXPJjmyhYgQrqKHbVQ9XdC9I7vK95j8MsZlPtsgCsu1QeqxXlURrZxtwOKn0XW_mEolrqdtJLBVycAibvHjHlPGGaMyAm9HG-BeevBtAPkdpnb-b3B8KxIgU.mMsTWVUx5uVTMlyowlXhImnriUg

I don't know how people aren't utterly exhausted of console tribalism and its associated culture yet.

Because there are new kids joining that every year when people who matured left it. There will always be a new batch of middle-schoolers going into recess to say that Nathan Drake can kill Zelda (as in Link)

LordRaptor

The second I saw the word twit in there I knew that could not possible be a direct quote form Pachter. It's a really british idiom and the fact that they try passing it as a direct quote is actually really terrible journalism.

Nobody cares about the "twit" comment.
They care about the "like racists" one.

Which is - according to Michael Pachter himself - a verbatim quote.

Justinh

I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

"This Week in Tech (TWiT)" with Leo LaPorte was a cool show, though...

Man, if the reporter here really made you feel that was the best way to describe it then that's unfortunate. I just don't like it being used for anything but actual racism since it's a real problem.

Just who is the Daily Star? That article really needs to be proofread.

I think something to bear in mind is that he's not inferring this generalisation towards any one individual or group of individuals. He's just talking about the market and how for the most part, the PS4 upgrades, or XBOX ONE upgrades, are not going to be considered as potential purchases for the majority of dedicated PC gamers.

That's not to say that they should buy a PS4 or XBOX ONE, just that they are liable to be ignorant to the benefits of doing so, irrespective of whether it's good, or bad. Similar, to how a racist is liable to be ignorant to race equality.

Obviously to chose this point of comparison is a little awkward, because racism has considerable negative connotations, none as severe as being even the most vapid PC master race advocate.

It is always awkward however, when people post those PC master race memes as it's clear that the intentions of some are not facetious when posting.

Hektor

The idea that portbegging is something bad is on on itself absolutely (excuse my wording here) dumbfucked warrior baby bullshit.

Some people would prefer to play [VIDEOGAME] on their [PREFFERED PLATFORM OF CHOICE], oh noes, the audacity to to have this wish, i literally can't even.

I've never once in my life seen people flaming other people ove wishing a blue-ray release of an old niche movie tho.

And the only reason it is banned on GAF outside those specific platform threads is its potential to derail unrelated threads with it, as the moderation has stated over and over again.

If you truly think "portbegging", the act of stating that you'd wish a game would be released on a hardware device it yet hasn't released on is something bad or insulting, you're the very problem.

I'm tempted by the PS4 as a platform, because it has Persona 5 and Bloodborne on it.

The PS4 Pro specifically does nothing for me, but not because I'm some kind of analogue for racists.

Yeah, I think I would say there is a seed of truth (maybe bigger than a seed? a sapling? A mid sized tree?) to what he said about ps4 pro not appealing to PC crowds, nothing is absolute of course.

The idea that portbegging is something bad is on on itself absolutely (excuse my wording here) dumbfucked warrior baby bullshit.

Some people would prefer to play [VIDEOGAME] on their [PREFFERED PLATFORM OF CHOICE], oh noes, the audacity to to have this wish, i literally can't even.

I've never once in my life seen people flaming other people ove wishing a blue-ray release of an old niche movie tho.

And the only reason it is banned on GAF outside those specific platform thread is its potential to derail unrelated threads with it, as the moderation has stated over and over again.

If you truly think "portbegging", the act of stating that you'd wish a game would be released on a hardware device it yet hasn't released on is something bad or insulting, you're the very problem.

Exactly.
Hell, one of my favorite games of all time, Mount and Blade Warband got released on consoles. I got incredibly happy to know that more people are able to enjoy that amazing game. Of course I wish they could enjoy mods and other things, but it's still great.

It certainly is, actually. what requests are there going the other way? Undertale? The Sims 4?

If you behave obnoxious, you are assigned to the group of obnxoious people. Too bad.

You seriously never see any requests at all? Not even Bayonetta 2?

I'm not sure what you're getting at, honestly. Do you (and Pachter, I guess) honestly mean PC-players are different than console-players, mentally speaking?

If that's the case, that's a form of racism. As I said, let people speak for themselves.

joms5

It certainly is, actually. what requests are there going the other way? Undertale? The Sims 4?

If you behave obnoxious, you are assigned to the group of obnxoious people. Too bad.

You may not have been born at the time but there was a time when people on consoles were dying to play games like Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Diablo, Crysis, etc.

It happens more often than you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom