• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"He used it as an analogy. He did not say that PC gamers are actual racists."

You've completely missed the point.

What is the point, then? That racism is bad, so we shouldn't ever, ever, EVER be anything less than 100% serious about it?

Fuck that. Context is king, not words themselves. And I wonder how many of these moral crusaders have ever made a Hitler or _____ nazi joke.

Sounds like a whole bunch of you would be well served to watch this.

They're only words.

LordRaptor

If you're a well-adjusted PC gamer who takes a live and let live approach to gaming, then he self evidently is not talking about you. I seriously cannot imagine the kind of person who sees this quote and actually feels the need to go online and say 'I AM NOT A SNOB, MICHAEL PACHTER. HOW DARE YOU.'

If you're the kind of person who has led a sheltered life and has never encountered prejudice, and / or has no empathy for those who have, then comparing fanboys being annoying to a prevalent social ill that has ruined - and ended - peoples lives as a result is no big deal.

Like calling people retarded as a synonym for stupid, or gay as a synonym for annoying.
It's just words, doesn't mean anything lololololol

m_dorian

Still after the edit, if we are going to have 12 year olds acting like game industry analysts let them a) be respectful of their audience and b) have accurate predictions at a moderately frequent rate.

-sdp

Not the best analogy but he's right about the point he wanted to come across and that isn't offensive to PC players but let's overreact because it's Pachter and armchair CEOs know better than him.

martino

It does in general there is crazy loyalty and some toxicity when it comes to it but it seems like console player are a bit more muted than the pc player like a vegan has to let everyone know about it. Lol.

didn't understand (i'm not english native) but is the bold part for pc player or console player ?
if pc player you're posting on gaf from a mirrored universe.

If you're the kind of person who has led a sheltered life and has never encountered prejudice, and / or has no empathy for those who have, then comparing fanboys being annoying to a prevalent social ill that has ruined - and ended - peoples lives as a result is no big deal.

Like calling people retarded as a synonym for stupid, or gay as a synonym for annoying.
It's just words, doesn't mean anything lololololol

They're only words. You can't ignore the context and expect me to take you seriously.

There is absolutely no contradiction among the following two statements:

Racism is a very real, very terrible blight on humanity.

Elements of racism can be compared to other things.

E92 M3

Looks like clickbait. Michael isn't an idiot and survived in a competitive industry for quite a long time.

Most likely he misspoke or was baited by the reporter.

MoonFrog

Wow.

The reason I game on PC and not Xbox/Playstation is because the PC exclusives entice me while Xbox/PS exclusives no longer do. Also, the device doubles as a comfortable place to do word processing, store and examine data, browse the internet, which is itself multifunctional, etc. I don't have a fancy rig with all the newest bells-and-whistles (although its getting to the point I need to upgrade). I don't think people are inferior for having access to lesser specs, nor do I think there is no value to their gaming experiences for this reason. I mean, I game on Nintendo systems perhaps more than on my PC.

Moreover the latter, which I take to be more common among strident PC is everything people, is a form of elitism rather than racism, a form of holding themselves above and the others below because of what they have, not who they are. If anything the thought is 'console gamers are just un-savvy noobs who think their consoles can compete but they can't. Lol, look at me on my PC.' But hey, I'm a PC gamer and I could be laughed at on the same grounds.

And frankly, it is not like you don't see a lot of 'lol Xbox' or 'lol Nintendo' or 'lol Handhelds' on a place like GAF, which is biased in favor of consoles, particularly, at this moment, Sony consoles. It's a little harder to run 'lol PC' and that's why you get angry defensive comments about how consoles are more convenient, really almost on par with PC, etc.

LordRaptor

They're only words. You can't ignore the context and expect me to take you seriously.

The context is people who have gaming PCs have no interest in buying a PS4Pro.

I like how you add your own qualifiers to "racism can be compared to other things" because you obviously do know that racism is not an appropriate term, and its use here inherently trivialises it.

EzEgZLR.png

PC gamers as imagined by Michael Pachter.

Trust a well off middle aged white guy who's never experienced racism to try and sound smart be likening preferences to consumer electronics to racism. Absolute clown of the highest order.

Nevermind the fact that I find the comment personally offensive as someone who's actually experiences racism multiple times, surely this is true for PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo fanboys. You can find legions of them on this very forum. Fanboys of anything are insular by their very nature. Not sure why Pachter has singled out PC gamers here, and I don't even play PC.

Battlechili

Banned
He seems kind of rude and generaliz-y. It also comes off as if this is all marketing to encourage the purchase of a PS4 Pro.

His statement where the PS4-Pro is the obvious choice for gamers who aren't able to do next-gen gaming yet makes this all the more suspicious in my opinion. I don't really see how its obvious; The Wii U as a console is the most unique in its functionality, and an actual gaming PC would allow access to a large quantity of games that are also coming out on Xbox One and PS4, but with the ability to have a higher quality experience than what is also already offered.

Although I don't really want to make this post come off as platform war-y; this is my personal opinion. My main point is that I don't see how such a thing is obvious, and that along with his remarks about PC-gaming all while Sony has outright stated that the Pro is to try and keep people from making the switch to PC gaming makes this all very suspicious in my opinion.
Idk, the fact "glorious PC master race" is a term thrown around frequently here and everything else kinda makes the comparison kinda easy.
Not just here; in fact, its even used in marketing to a degree. For example, the game "Gal Gun: Double Peace has a Steam trailer where it specifically says "Its time for the PC Master Race to embrace the weeb". So you can find that stuff all over, both being used in a serious context and being used in a joking context.

mjp2417

Banned

What specific elements of racism are comparable to someone who does not intend to purchase a particular video game box?

Kathian

Banned
Idk, the fact "glorious PC master race" is a term thrown around frequently here and everything else kinda makes the comparison kinda easy. Yeah I know its in jest but honestly the term "master race" has its roots in eugenics/nazism which isn't great. I kind of think the term should have been ditched long ago it's gross but it's really stuck around.

I honestly only hear this as a joke or fanboys attacking people who play on PCs

I like how you add your own qualifiers to "racism can be compared to other things" because you obviously do know that racism is not an appropriate term, and its use here inherently trivialises it.

Literally does not make any sense at all.

It's THE CONTEXT. The context here is that Michael Pachter is comparing the zealotry of racists to the zealotry of PC gamers. That's it.

It's only when you cannot grasp that context that racism becomes an inappropriate comparison. I am and always will be with George Carlin on this one - I believe you can joke or make light of anything. That racism is a very real and very bad thing doesn't mean it can't be used in any other context.

ViviOggi

It's thrown around here.
Mostly by console only gamers disparaging PC gamers.

Yup. Obviously there's places like the eponymous subreddit where a bunch of people do buy into it (with varying degrees of irony), but around here I've not seen it being used in any other context ever.

As a hardcore PC gamer myself I can't say I'm an elitist. In fact, I game on my consoles just as much as my PC. Though I'll have to say some PC gamers aren't helping themeselves when they use terms like "PC Master Race". I never use that term myself and I shudder anytime people use it. I know it's a joke but it's too close to Nazi terminology for my liking. I wish my fellow PC gamers would stop using it even if it's a joke.

I've never used the word "twit" in my life.

I absolutely used the term racist, but only upon being questioned repeatedly about what I meant when I called PC gamers insular.

The reporting here was irresponsible. I've done 6000 interviews over the last 15 years (we're required to log them), and somehow, have been able to hide my bigoted side until today . . . I'm not sure what the "reporter" was trying to do, other than stir the pot. Yes, I said that the PS4 Pro probably wouldn't appeal to PC gamers, The rest is just silly.

You used the term 'racist' in this context. What the hell were you thinking?

Maztorre

What is the point, then? That racism is bad, so we shouldn't ever, ever, EVER be anything less than 100% serious about it?

Fuck that. Context is king, not words themselves. And I wonder how many of these moral crusaders have ever made a Hitler or _____ nazi joke.

Sounds like a whole bunch of you would be well served to watch this.

They're only words.

His comments are bullshit even within the context of the article, though. Any lack of interest towards PS4P from PC gamers can be explained by any number of reasonable arguments about how certain aspects of the PS4P aren't addressing why PC customers are on that platform. Instead, we get:

Michael Pachter said:
I think PC Gamers are like racists; they only like there own kind and they have no interest in venturing out and mixing with other races"

Wow, such trenchant insight from our resident analyst.

What specific elements of racism are comparable to someone who does not intend to purchase a particular video game box?

As I said above, the zealotry. He's comparing the zealotry of, let's say a Klan member saying 'I'll never have a n***** in my house!' to the zealotry of the type of PC gamer who would say 'Psh, I'll never buy some lame, underpowered console bullshit!'

That's the comparison he's making.

edit:
His comments are bullshit even within the context of the article, though.

Fine! I couldn't care less if you disagree with him. All I'm attacking is the bogus outrage over the language he used.

PtM

Banned
As I said above, the zealotry. He's comparing the zealotry of, let's say a Klan member saying 'I'll never have a n***** in my house!' to the zealotry of the type of PC gamer who would say 'Psh, I'll never buy some lame, underpowered console bullshit!'

He is not.

I see the it kind of like a narcissist/megalomaniac. Sure, they can be insufferable at times. But most of the time, they're insufferable because they're right. In a way, it makes it more insufferable.

I think the attitude towards PC Gamers is more real than the actual thing though. Especially on GAF. Probably more of a thing on Reddit, I'd imagine.
Pretty much, yeah. The objective measures are all there for sure, but a huge amount of that fan base cannot understand subjectivity for the life of then.

MoonFrog

It's THE CONTEXT. The context here is that Michael Pachter is comparing the zealotry of racists to the zealotry of PC gamers. That's it.

It's only when you cannot grasp that context that racism becomes an inappropriate comparison. I am and always will be with George Carlin on this one - I believe you can joke or make light of anything. That racism is a very real and very bad thing doesn't mean it can't be used in any other context.

If it is just about zealotry, why not something other than racism?! It is not like all racist zealots are the most zealous, rather it is that they are zealous in a particular odious way.

derExperte

Really curious about what he said exactly now. Could be 'eh, okay' or still 'ewwww'.

I wouldnt go that far.

But PC gamers are definitely the worst.

Inb4 "not everyone!"

I mean I don't judge the whole of console gamers based on you and what feels like half this forum shilling hardcore for Sony so yes, 'not everyone'.

Lorcain

That's a terrible way to summarize the argument that the PS4 Pro won't be an attractive option for exclusive PC gamers. There are so many better ways to express that and not sound like an insensitive dolt.

So playing on PC makes you a racist :")

No, only superhuman ;)

I don't play only on PC. I play on Wii U, 3DS, Vita TV, PS3, Xbox360. But at the moment there is simply no reason for me to buy a PS4, Xbone, Pro or Scorpio. Most games i am interested in i can play in the same or better version on PC. So why should i give 400 € to Sony? For another peace of plastic that takes away space? Perhaps if there are enough exclusives that fit my taste and are worth that money. But i don't even have the time to play every game i want on PC....

But i will buy NX Day One, cause Nintendo, cause Zelda, cause Monolithsoft. Like i bought a Vita for Persona Golden and Trails of cold Steel. So No Pachter. That isn't racism. Its about taste, money, time, space. And Power.

LordRaptor

He's not making a joke.

He's not challenging preconceptions to find humour in a taboo subject.

He's saying PC gamers aren't interested in buying a PS4Pro because they are like racists.

Even if you assume that he is referring to "elements" of racism - and it's not like "elements" don't have their own more suitable adjectives to describe them - and you accept that that is a valid premise for why Pc gamers have no interest in buying a PS4Pro, there is no part of invoking racism that is appropriate or necessary for such a statement.

I wouldnt go that far.

But PC gamers are definitely the worst.

Inb4 "not everyone!"

oh, good, more fanboy drivel trying to stroke themselves over generalizations and superiority complexes

but i'm sure you're a bastion of unbiased opinions and have come to this conclusion after a lot of well detailed research, rather than just acting on the fact you prefer some different plastic box with computer parts inside it. right?

Hypocrite generalises and looks down on a group of gamers who play a specific system for generalising and looking down on gamers who play a specific system.

mkenyon

Banned

edit:

Fine! I couldn't care less if you disagree with him. All I'm attacking is the bogus outrage over the language he used.
It makes sense though. As a PC Gamer, the only things I've played on outside of my PC are Wii U, Vita, 3DS, and Android.

The big games on PS4 and XBO are not exactly system sellers. I had a 360 and a PS3 forever because they had legit amazing games I couldn't get anywhere else. Now it's basically, "buy this crappy version of your gaming PC because couch or game with cutscenes and QTEs!"

Of course we are. I beat my Wii U constantly, it's a fucking stain in my room.

I like how everyone just talks about PC Gamers as if we all have our minds connected through the way superior power of our PC's.

He's not making a joke.

I know.

He's not challenging preconceptions to find humour in a taboo subject.

I know.

He's saying PC gamers aren't interested in buying a PS4Pro because they are like racists.

"Like racists" in that they have some zealotry towards something, yes. Not like, you know, they hate other human beings based on the color of their skin.

Even if you assume that he is referring to "elements" of racism - and it's not like "elements" don't have their own more suitable adjectives to describe them - and you accept that that is a valid premise for why Pc gamers have no interest in buying a PS4Pro, there is no part of invoking racism that is appropriate or necessary for such a statement.

It isn't INappropriate, either. The world doesn't need language police like you dictating what words are and are not necessary for any given situation. I say let's just keep things the way they are, where you, me, and Michael Pachter express ourselves in whatever way we see fit, without consulting an authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom