• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Rooker (Merle Dixon) joins the cast of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY as... Yondu?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bNGQVIp.jpg

Thanks to Tom_Cody for posting this in the MCU thread.

Michael Rooker cast as Yondu.

Wat.

sDYCN0M.jpg

For people who don't know the source material, several teams have gone by the name Guardians of the Galaxy in the Marvel universe and Yondu is from the original. The team with Gamora, Drax, Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon and Groot (which this movie is supposed to be based on) is from an entirely different time and place than the team Yondu was from. So this is weird.

Rest of the Cast said:
Zoe Saldana as Gamora
hJ0w55Y.jpg

Dave Bautista as Drax
Dave-Bautista-Drax-the-Destroyer-Guardians-of-the-Galaxy.jpg

Chris Pratt as Star-Lord
guardians_of_the_galaxy_chris_pratt_star_lord-2014.jpg

I'm going to post the concept art again because it's just so pretty.

Concept Art said:

Uncle

Dude was great Iron Fist. So long as he doesn't have a lot of dialogue, I think he'd make for a decent Drax.

Speaking of, does Drax talk a lot?

Not that much as I recall. More of the strong silent type. Since Drax's daughter doesn't seem to be in the movie I don't expect a lot of meaningful dialogue from Drax.

why cast big names if you're going to put them in enough makeup to be largely unrecognizable?

(I know why -- brand names -- but it seems so odd)

Viewt

Not that much as I recall. More of the strong silent type. Since Drax's daughter doesn't seem to be in the movie I don't expect a lot of meaningful dialogue from Drax.

Yeah, pretty much. Hell, they used to make Drax speak like an idiot when he spoke at all. I imagine he'll be here to grunt, kill things and occasionally banter.

why cast big names if you're going to put them in enough makeup to be largely unrecognizable?

(I know why -- brand names -- but it seems so odd)

Is Michael Rooker really a "big name?" I mean, Walking Dead is pretty big, but he's still a supporting actor on television. I don't imagine him getting a huge payday for what will ultimately be a bit part.

ultron87

I'm only just now started getting hyped for this movie since I finally got around to starting Annihilation: Conquest. Pratt seems like an inspired choice for Starlord and more Rooker is always good in my book.

yami4ct

the fuck is Yondu doing here

I'm guessing this film will cover the current Guardians' early days. They're new at their jobs. Yondou was probably in the previous incarnation and is going to act in a sort of mentor role.

This film has a hell of a cast so far. They all at least look the part. Pratt, Saldana and Rooker all should be able to pull off the acting. The only one that's a bit worrisome is Bautista, but he's playing Drax so that shouldn't be a problem. Just have him act big and tough and that should be enough for him to work in the film. It's an ensemble cast so the others should more than cover for his potential failings.

Goldrush

The fact that they decided to use a D-lister from GotG lore actually gets me a bit excited about the movie. While the addition of a A-list hero or a cult favorite would stink of marketing, this hints at a true love for the source material.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing this film will cover the current Guardians' early days. They're new at their jobs. Yondou was probably in the previous incarnation and is going to act in a sort of mentor role.

They could go that route, but the original team was actually from the year 3000 or something, so it's also possible they're doing time travel stuff. It's actually kind of exciting this movie is much harder to predict than stuff like Iron Man.

yami4ct

Cast Rigby as the Raccoon!

I'll be real interested to see which way they go with the casting for Groot and Rocket Raccoon. Are they going to go with a well known actor for the star power or will they go with a voice actor to keep the cost down? I suspect the later, but who knows. I honestly am not sure who'd I'd want in either role. I just know they need to get it right.

They could go that route, but the original team was actually from the year 3000 or something, so it's also possible they're doing time travel stuff. It's actually kind of exciting this movie is much harder to predict than stuff like Iron Man.

Right now, we know Thanos is a big part of the film, right? I wouldn't be surprised if they had Yondou come back in time from some dark, post-apocalyptic Thanos ruled future to warn the Guardians and help them gather strength to stop Thanos before the disaster.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Yondu pegged for "probably going to die".

yami4ct

The fact that they decided to use a D-lister from GotG lore actually gets me a bit excited about the movie. While the addition of a A-list hero or a cult favorite would stink of marketing, this hints at a true love for the source material.

To be fair, Marvel doesn't really have any real A-lister left. In fact, no one attached to the Guardians is really even B-lister to the public at large. Nova or Adam Warlock would probably be the most famous related characters, right? Those guys don't rate close to even Black Panther or Doctor Strange in terms of fame among the general public.

To be fair, Marvel doesn't really have any real A-lister left. In fact, no one attached to the Guardians is really even B-lister to the public at large. Nova or Adam Warlock would probably be the most famous related characters, right? Those guys don't rate close to even Black Panther or Doctor Strange in terms of fame among the general public.

The most famous Guardian is actually probably Rocket Raccoon thanks to UMvC3.

Uncle

Yeah, pretty much. Hell, they used to make Drax speak like an idiot when he spoke at all. I imagine he'll be here to grunt, kill things and occasionally banter.

Not only did he speak like an idiot, he was an idiot. I remember in one comic it was implied that he was too stupid to remember that he could fly. But I doubt they'll have any of that incarnation in this.

Not only did he speak like an idiot, he was an idiot. I remember in one comic it was implied that he was too stupid to remember that he could fly. But I doubt they'll have any of that incarnation in this.

I've only read the issues circa Annihilation and onwards but Drax is quite intelligent from what I've seen. He's not particularly talkative but he's not stupid either, he comes off as a hard boiled and grumpy badass.

Viewt

Also, can we all just kind of scratch our head in amazement that a character this obscure is going to be in a movie?

I mean, this isn't a character like Thanos who's at least a known entity within comic book circles. Yondu is a dude who, outside of a cameo in the last volume, basically hadn't been seen since the 90s, and hadn't had a meaningful appearance maybe... ever? The original Guardians were NEVER a team that really mattered in mainstream comics until the Abnett/Lanning run.

I've only read the issues circa Annihilation and onwards but Drax is quite intelligent from what I've seen. He's not particularly talkative but he's not stupid either, he comes off as a hard boiled and grumpy badass.

While the Drax we know now is much more emotive and intelligent, the Drax of old was occasionally portrayed as kind of a dullard.

Uncle

This was in Infinity Crusade, I think.

yami4ct

Also, can we all just kind of scratch our head in amazement that a character this obscure is going to be in a movie?

I mean, this isn't a character like Thanos who's at least a known entity within comic book circles. Yondu is a dude who, outside of a cameo in the last volume, basically hadn't been seen since the 90s, and hadn't had a meaningful appearance maybe... ever? The original Guardians were NEVER a team that really mattered in mainstream comics until the Abnett/Lanning run.

Guardians of the Galaxy is already a deep cut in general for most people. If you're going to go obscure, might as well do it here. It also allows them more freedom to use and change a character to fit their needs if they aren't well known or important.

I'm still surprised that this movie exists in general. Cannot wait to see it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Y'all need to stop talkin shit about Big Dave

8bvTxOc.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Guardians of the Galaxy is already a deep cut in general for most people. If you're going to go obscure, might as well do it here. It also allows them more freedom to use and change a character to fit their needs if they aren't well known or important.

I'm still surprised that this movie exists in general. Cannot wait to see it.

Surprisingly enough the first comic of the GotG Marvel NOW relaunch sold over 300k, which is stellar for the medium. There has to be some mainstream interest driving it.

yami4ct

Surprisingly enough the first comic of the GotG Marvel NOW relaunch sold over 300k, which is stellar for the medium. There has to be some mainstream interest driving it.

I suspect a mix of interest in the new film and Rocket Raccoon being in UMvC3. Really, Marvel has done an excellent job setting up bringing this obscure group to the big screen.

Plus, they're such an interesting group of characters. One of the more interesting Marvel's got. If given the chance, they could totally capture the audience's imagination and take off. They just haven't had the chance yet. Hopefully this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom