• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan state House approves carrying concealed guns without permit

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Legislation to allow Michigan gun owners to carry a concealed handgun without a permit was approved in the state House of Representatives on Wednesday, in a move that follows the lead of a dozen other states.

The package of four bills, which cleared the Republican-controlled House with support from a handful of Democrats, now moves to the Senate, also dominated by Republicans.

The legislation would lift a requirement that handgun owners obtain a concealed pistol license with a $100 fee to legally carry the weapon in public.

Handgun owners also would be allowed carry a concealed pistol in public without the firearms training that is currently mandated.

Advocates framed the issue as upholding a U.S. constitutional right to bear arms.

"We all know criminals are not paying fees, taking classes and waiting for approval to come in the mail before they begin carrying guns," Michigan state Representative Michele Hoitenga, sponsor of the bill, said in a statement.

The legislation "levels the playing field for honest people," she said.

Legislation introduced in the U.S. Congress this year would, if approved and signed by President Donald Trump, require all states to allow firearm owners to carry their guns under the regulations of their home state, even if visiting elsewhere.

For instance, a person allowed to carry a concealed firearm without a permit in North Dakota could do so when visiting California or New York state, where permits are required, Shearer said.

Volimar

Handgun owners also would be allowed carry a concealed pistol in public without the firearms training that is currently mandated.

This is the scariest part. Is Michigan a Stand Your Ground state?

In other news, every last gangster and criminal pays the fee, to avoid firearms charges, as they woudl be now legally carrying the weapon.

Hey, I live in Michigan!

Does that mean I don't even need a permit to *own* and/or carry a firearm???

I've been procrastinating purchasing a glock for awhile. This would be incentive.

gaugebozo

Michigan is slowly turning from a blue collar Democrat stronghold to the worst parts of Republican orthodoxy. We're going to be Kansas in a decade. I fucking hate it.

cameron

Heros don't attend classes in firearms training. You're just born being awesome.

Levels the playing field for absolute imbeciles.

Risto

Banned
I moved out of Michigan 10 years ago and every time I visit I am shocked at how much worse it is. I feel bad for my friends that live there but I don't understand why anyone with a family is irresponsible enough to live in Michigan given any other option.

br3wnor

So glad I live in New York. Really don't know how I feel about visiting states that have these insane gun laws, I want to see a lot of the US but idea of no laws regarding handguns is pure lunacy.

WedgeX

Banned
"We all know criminals are not paying fees, taking classes and waiting for approval to come in the mail before they begin carrying guns," Michigan state Representative Michele Hoitenga, sponsor of the bill, said in a statement.

Is "honest people" a new euphemism for white people?

Like these assholes (although they were not concealing their weapons)?

Sobriquet

Did the NRA write this law? Serious question. Same thing going through my state (NC) general assembly, but apparently they don't have a veto-proof majority. Thankfully.

I moved out of Michigan 10 years ago and every time I visit I am shocked at how much worse it is. I feel bad for my friends that live there but I don't understand why anyone with a family is irresponsible enough to live in Michigan given any other option.

I live in a beautiful community in Michigan. I had the choice between a few different states and I'm glad I chose to stay here.

GAF has been on a anti-Detroit and anti-Michigan kick as of late. It's hard to not get defensive. Especially when there are so many good folks here working so hard to make it a better place.

ResoRai

"The legislation "levels the playing field for honest people," she said."
my-reaction-to-justin-beiber-music_o_307406_zpsbdde746a.gif~c200

I live in a beautiful community in Michigan. I had the choice between a few different states and I'm glad I chose to stay here.

GAF has been on a anti-Detroit and anti-Michigan kick as of late. It's hard to not get defensive. Especially when there are so many good folks here working so hard to make it a better place.

Detroit is, surprisingly enough, one of the good parts of the state. I live in the rural area about an hour north and it's a terrible place. White supremacy, confederate flags everywhere, and a big meth and heroin problem.

DiscoJer

We has this start in Missouri in January (it passed last year). So far, doesn't seem to have had an effect either way.

guldakot

Detroit is, surprisingly enough, one of the good parts of the state. I live in the rural area about an hour north and it's a terrible place. White supremacy, confederate flags everywhere, and a big meth and heroin problem.

Downtown Detroit is really nice, but between Wayne state and Hazel Park, or downtown and Gross Pointe is still pretty damn sketchy. Hopefully once the riverfront development begins in earnest the area southeast of Eastern Market will start to come alive as well.

Tovarisc

Link.

Fuck for you are giving firearms to people who don't have training about handling etc.?

Edit: Tad better sentence

Chococat

Not happy. There are some sketchy white Make America Great Again types on my street I already fear racist and sexist beliefs. Putting guns into their hand does not make me feel any safer in my home or neighborhood.

Sobriquet

Now I feel like an idiot for my previous post, as I'm a Georgian. Come on, Georgia!

Sorry, I should edit my post. I'm referring to the General Assembly in North Carolina, but failed to mention the actual state. And failed to make the connection that GA is a state. Even though we're neighbors (and I was born there!). Bad posting on my part

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Derwind

What the fuck? There are very good reasons why shouldn't emulate the behaviour of a criminal for obvious fucking reasons.

Velcro Fly

Indiana wants to do this too I think.

How do we expect to keep guns away from criminals if a law like this basically makes it legal for anyone to have a gun?

The Kree

Banned
Michigan state House approves it's state's citizens wantonly killing themselves so they don't have to do any actual work towards solving their problems.

eizarus

Banned
They know there aren't respawns right? It's one of those games where you wanna reduce the chances of getting that death debuff.

It's like they don't even want to address the underlying problems that cause the crime. Are they basically admitting rampant violent crime is unstoppable, so you best arm yourself?

Alright. I'll just buy one and stick to the law. I'm black though. Is that cool?

You might want to print out an extra-large type size version of your receipt of purchase for the firearm and wear it on a double-sided sandwich board which, for purely unrelated reasons, should be as close to bulletproof rated for small arms fire as possible.

Because why should civilians be held to a higher standard than criminals?

Tovarisc

Don't most people want more gun control? Not less?

When everyone from experienced hobbiest to ex-military to Adam Amateur who don't know how to even eject mag or secure his firearm all gun violence will go away.

That is the logic here, right?

Top Bottom