• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michigan state House approves carrying concealed guns without permit

gaugebozo

I live in a beautiful community in Michigan. I had the choice between a few different states and I'm glad I chose to stay here.

GAF has been on a anti-Detroit and anti-Michigan kick as of late. It's hard to not get defensive. Especially when there are so many good folks here working so hard to make it a better place.
I live in a damn amazing community in Michigan with amazing schools, amazing parks, a great family atmosphere, great restaurants, etc. I've lived in East coast states, but I love the attitude in Michigan which is generally friendly and polite.

However, what's going on with racial and social attitudes is fucking embarrassing. The Detroit area has not recovered from the 60's riots and is in general getting more segregated. It's the most segregated area in the country. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/americas-most-segregated-cities_us_57d2c19ae4b0f831f7071b3d

The increase in conservative attitudes and brain drain from the rest of the state only adds to this. I day all of this not to attack the state, but because it needs to be acknowledged and fixed.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Not happy. There are some sketchy white Make America Great Again types on my street I already fear racist and sexist beliefs. Putting guns into their hand does not make me feel any safer in my home or neighborhood.
How would this put guns in their hands?

What the fuck? There are very good reasons why shouldn't emulate the behaviour of a criminal for obvious fucking reasons.
Carrying a gun isn't criminal behavior, so what criminal behavior do you think this will encourage and cause people to emulate?

Indiana wants to do this too I think.

How do we expect to keep guns away from criminals if a law like this basically makes it legal for anyone to have a gun?
Convicted felons can't have guns, so owning or being in possession of one is already a crime for them. This doesn't make it legal for felons to possess guns. Do you think that convicted felons that get out of prison and carry guns apply for concealed carry permits? Do you think that if they don't get them they just decide not to carry guns?

Don't skip the last part of that article. They are working on allowing state rights to cross over. Therefore if you have the right to conceal carry in michigan then you can do the same when visiting other states as well. Even if it's not allowed by that state.

Gaf has a lot of responsible gun owners. What's their take?

I would rather a class be required, to be honest. I have my ccp, and before I got it I thought I was pretty gun savvy. The trainer taught me otherwise.

Wild Wild West over there.

Common misconception. The so called wild west was actually pretty safe. Shoot outs in town were pretty rare, and in most places even am individual shooting was a surprise. So lot of people were armed, yes. But that was because 1) Everyone else had a firearm and 2) if you spent a lot of time put of town running into not happy wildlife was pretty common.

Are rocket launchers ok? I want to be able to walk the streets feeling safe knowing I have a rocket launcher concealed on me.

Rest

Don't skip the last part of that article. They are working on allowing state rights to cross over. Therefore if you have the right to conceal carry in michigan then you can do the same when visiting other states as well. Even if it's not allowed by that state.
That part can be easily skipped. Something like that will not pass, and even if it does, California will have it overturned post haste.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Michissippi continues its descent into a rural, right-wing Tea Party disaster.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
How would this put guns in their hands?

Carrying a gun isn't criminal behavior, so what criminal behavior do you think this will encourage and cause people to emulate?

Convicted felons can't have guns, so owning or being in possession of one is already a crime for them. This doesn't make it legal for felons to possess guns. Do you think that convicted felons that get out of prison and carry guns apply for concealed carry permits? Do you think that if they don't get them they just decide not to carry guns?

All of your questions have answers that can be found in crime statistics that simply don't exist anywhere else in the world. Nobody is concerned with law abiding gun owners. They're concerned about what happens when they have accidents, get depressed, get burgled, get forgetful or stop being law abiding gun owners.

Again America is an outrageous unmatched outlier in gun crime, accident and suicide. And all of those increase in a rate commensurate with the increase or ease of availability.

One solution is training and regulation. It's demanded for automobiles. It should be demanded for guns.

Rest

Encouraging people to carry guns will cause an increase in assaults. http://www.jhsph.edu/research/cente...un-policy-and-research/_pdfs/GunsOnCampus.pdf

That is about college age people, a group who are statistically more reckless than other adults, to the point that the insurance industry charges them higher premiums. They're not exactly representative of the general population. I question the relevance of that to this law. What's more, Michigan already bans concealed weapons at colleges, so people doing that will already be criminals.

Are rocket launchers ok? I want to be able to walk the streets feeling safe knowing I have a rocket launcher concealed on me.

hey that totally worked in Deus Ex. My trusty champion of swift justice, hogging all my inventory space. But I felt SAFE, dammit.

Also, I guess this means The Predator is now literally legal too, since he's got weapons, but he is also concealed. Better hope the hunt doesn't start in Michigan!

Derwind

Its literally in th OP, I mean come on.

"We all know criminals are not paying fees, taking classes and waiting for approval to come in the mail before they begin carrying guns," Michigan state Representative Michele Hoitenga, sponsor of the bill, said in a statement."

How does that statement not advocate emulating the behaviour of a criminal when the very sponsor of the bill literally said it.

etrain911

Honestly, at this point in our political and social climate, I think gun control is a lost cause. As a Michigan citizen, I've considered getting a firearm of my own.

Dude Abides

Banned
I live in a beautiful community in Michigan. I had the choice between a few different states and I'm glad I chose to stay here.

GAF has been on a anti-Detroit and anti-Michigan kick as of late. It's hard to not get defensive. Especially when there are so many good folks here working so hard to make it a better place.

Eh. Once you get west of AA you may as well be in Idaho.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't an honest person want to go for gun safety training?

"Honest person"

dogit-silent-dog-whistle.jpg

Rest

All of your questions have answers that can be found in crime statistics that simply don't exist anywhere else in the world. Nobody is concerned with law abiding gun owners. They're concerned about what happens when they have accidents, get depressed, get burgled, get forgetful or stop being law abiding gun owners.

The problem with that is that guns don't create the crime, in places where they are not allowed people don't just stop committing crimes and stop killing people. What's more, people that kill someone with a gun are typically already criminals. Someone just snapping one day and murdering another person is almost unheard of.

old

Wouldn't an honest person want to go for gun safety training?

Safety Classes? You want gun owners to know the law, proper safe handling, and trigger discipline? Then what, tomorrow it's biolocks, the next year it's smart guns that can be remotely disabled by police.

Sorry I'm not with you comrade, or should I say, Chairman Stalin. Why do you hate America?

Rest

Its literally in th OP, I mean come on.

How does that statement not advocate emulating the behaviour of a criminal when the very sponsor of the bill literally said it.
Emulating criminal behavior means doing something because it is a crime. Making something that's not a crime easier to do for law abiding citizens doesn't make them more like criminals.

Rran

So is the logic here that if a criminal is committing a criminal act, that act should be legal?

Hope this never happens in CA. Minorities there should buy a handgun and carry ut around in public and see if these mostly white people start to feel like when everyone who isn't white open carries.

People should really stop comparing the current insanity in this country to the wild west. The wild west actually had more sensible gun regulation than most red states. You had to leave your guns with the sheriff when entering town in most wild west communities for instance.

It's an amazing state to live in. Just hung out in Ann Arbor today.

Give black people some guns and watch how fast they move to get rid of this law.

Actually, a few years back groups of blacks in I wanna say Texas started doing patrols with firearms and the NRA applauded them for exercising their rights.

If anything, as long as you aren't out causing havoc the NRA doesn't care about your skin color. Just so long as you keep buying guns.

When everyone from experienced hobbiest to ex-military to Adam Amateur who don't know how to even eject mag or secure his firearm all gun violence will go away.

That is the logic here, right?

Nah, the "honest people" will kill the bad people in "self-defense."

Derwind

Emulating criminal behavior means doing something because it is a crime. Making something that's not a crime easier to do for law abiding citizens doesn't make them more like criminals.

I'm not the one comparing the actions of criminals disregarding gun safety regulations as something to imitate.

I quoted you exactly, word for word, what the State Representative that sponsored this very same bill said.

Because "criminals are not paying fees, taking classes and waiting for approval to come in the mail before they begin carrying guns,"

This now "levels the playing field for honest people"

This is exactly what it means imitate others.

Because Criminals dont heed gun safety legislation, regular people shouldn't either, right?

Hey.. look, I know a guy that drives uninsured without a license, maybe I need to level the playing field.

Alucrid

Banned
I would rather a class be required, to be honest. I have my ccp, and before I got it I thought I was pretty gun savvy. The trainer taught me otherwise.

Common misconception. The so called wild west was actually pretty safe. Shoot outs in town were pretty rare, and in most places even am individual shooting was a surprise. So lot of people were armed, yes. But that was because 1) Everyone else had a firearm and 2) if you spent a lot of time put of town running into not happy wildlife was pretty common.

out of curiosity what weren't you aware of before the class?

fester

Banned
Safety Classes? You want gun owners to know the law, proper safe handling, and trigger discipline? Then what, tomorrow it's biolocks, the next year it's smart guns that can be remotely disabled by police.

Sorry I'm not with you comrade, or should I say, Chairman Stalin. Why do you hate America?

Safety shit and permits are for vehicles, not weapons designed for the purpose of killing. Everyone knows this.

out of curiosity what weren't you aware of before the class?

I was aware of everything, he just taught me to second guess myself and question if I was doing it to be a nutter or actual safety. Carrying a handgun is a HUGE responsibility, and not to be taken lightly. I passed easily, but had to do some serious thinking on if I wanted to deal with the fallout should I ever have to actually use it. Which is what a good trainer will do.

I rarely actually carry, as I generally have little reason to. But now I know that if I do, I'm prepared to accept the consequences of my actions if the worst should happen. Which I hope never does.

Korigama

The package of four bills, which cleared the Republican-controlled House with support from a handful of Democrats, now moves to the Senate, also dominated by Republicans.
Rather curious which ones these were...

And you know what? Criminal don't even have their license? Why should anyone have to take a driver competency course before they get their license?

What could possibly go wrong.

Top Bottom