• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox man - Yusuf Mehdi is at the Surface event today ?

cakely

You should read the market closer.

I guess I'm looking at the tablet market. Are they selling this as a windows laptop? So it's supposed to compete with the MacBook Air and not an IPad?

The fact that I'm a potential customer (working from my MBP today) and don't know this is probably not a good sign for their product.

Freeman

Banned
I'd love to see this notebook that has an i5, 128GB SSD, 1440p screen and digitizer, that you can buy for under $1130 with enough left over to buy a decent tablet.

Quickly looking around i'd rather have this combo (and I don't even like apple):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746YZS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 change that to a MacBook pro if your work requires a more robust hardware, not to mention you'll also find Windows ultrabooks with a much better benefit–cost ratio.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009W8YQ6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You need to take into account the cost of the type cover and other things you might need.

bedlamite

So wait, is there another hardware manufacturer making an i5 laptop stuffed into a 800-gram 12" tablet form factor? and selling it for a thousand bucks? with similar build quality?

Cuz if not people really need to stop crying about the price.

Plus the Wacom digitiser/stylus thing, which makes it a joy to use in meetings. Stylus + OneNote + Sync it via OneDrive = pure joy. You can even search handwritten notes (it OCRs them in the background but leaves your own handwriting on screen). Use it a lot on our team to take notes to a shared notebook when we meet with customers.

edit: Clearly I am a massive geek who spends a lot of time in meetings. Many people may not find that "pure joy" ;-)

Hey man, knowing things doesn't make you a geek. It makes you just more informed.
Like, anyone that tells you that a Macbook is worth the money for performance is either lying or just oblivious to the fact that you could buy a Windows/Linux laptop with better specs for usually half the price. Now if someone told you that the software is better, well that's really a matter of opinion or even preference.

tbm24

I guess I'm looking at the tablet market. Are they selling this as a windows laptop? So it's supposed to compete with the MacBook Air and not an IPad?

The fact that I'm a potential customer (working from my MBP today) and don't know this is probably not a good sign for their product.

I don't know what to say other than if you didn't know that the Surface Pro is a full fledged computer running a full Windows 8, then it's because you never payed attention to it. Microsoft has been clear from the very beginning what the Surface Pro was suppose to be and this third iteration just drives that point even further home with the 12" variant which is now a laptop replacement in the most literal sense. Honestly this is the device I've been wanting since I started university 4 years ago. My MBP has been great these past 4 years, but the Surface is my next step. Will be jumping in, in the coming months.

strata8

Quickly looking around i'd rather have this combo (and I don't even like apple):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00746YZS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009W8YQ6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You need to take into account the cost of the type cover and other things you might need.

That MacBook Air has 1/3 the resolution of the SP3 and neither of the MacBook nor the iPad have a digitizer.

Total price for both: $1260. $1130 for the SP3 includes the type cover as well.

tbm24

I could be mistaken but I was pretty sure they demonstrated their stylus tech has less lag than anything on the market today.

While I have yet to try a Surface Pro 3, the Ntrigs on market at the moment provide more lag than Wacom with a less sensitivity. If that's now the case for the Pro 3 then that remains to be seen.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You should tell the other guy in the thread that says it's a full-fledged computer running windows 8.
well it is running full windows 8

tablet, laptop, desktop etc.. is just the form of the computing device. Not what OS it runs or what hardware it uses. In Microsoft's case WIndows 8 runs on Tablets, Laptops and Desktops.

You should tell the other guy in the thread that says it's a full-fledged computer running windows 8.

It is a full-fledged computer running Windows 8 in a tablet form factor.

That's what makes it such a great device.

And the price is high compared to tablets that do not run full OS, but that's apples and oranges.

cakely

I'm just trying to point out that I'm not the only one that doesn't quite see the niche that the Surface Pro fills. It's a tablet, a laptop, a floor wax and a desert topping.

I'm just trying to point out that I'm not the only one that doesn't quite see the niche that the Surface Pro fills. It's a tablet, a laptop, a floor wax and a desert topping.

The Surface Pro is an excellent product and is targeted in many ways to the corporate set. A tablet that can also run the full Office suite as well as all security software and protocols. Of those in my very small sample network circle, the iPad:Surface split is about 65% iPad, 35% Surface.

While a competitor to the iPad and other, cheaper, tablet devices, the Surface is actually targeting the higher income bracket that wants full OS and application performance before price.

I'm not a PC gamer but can anyone tell me how compatible the new Surface is to PC games?

My Surface 1 ran games like Civ, Shadowfall, Hearthstone really well. From the specs, I'm expecting a nice performance boost. Would love to be able to hook up a 360 controller and play more demanding games while on the road.

Although not its main purpose, my first-gen Surface Pro has been decent as a light gaming PC. I use it for indie games, Hearthstone, etc. It runs Steam and connects to a 360 or PS4 controller.

I am very keen on the Pro 3. It looks to address a lot of my minor complaints and, more importantly, add a bigger screen and more processing power. Pending reviews, I'll probably be upgrading. I may still get a gaming desktop in the future, but it's not a priority right now since we have new consoles that are a lot more capable than what was available two years ago.

ILoveBish

It is a full-fledged computer running Windows 8 in a tablet form factor.

That's what makes it such a great device.

And the price is high compared to tablets that do not run full OS, but that's apples and oranges.

I have a dell venue 8 pro. Its what makes these devices really bad user experiences for end users. For 99% of people out there, a android tab or a ipad are much easier to use for their day to day lives. I actually gave my DV8P to a few people and they all complained its so difficult to use, they all have ipads and android tablets and use them daily.

Windows 8.1 is not consumer friendly, its why they sell a 1,949 dollar tablet, they know they can only get the high end with their product at this point.

That said, i absolutely adore my venue 8 pro.

leobebes

Banned
I want a Surface Pro, but I get sticker shock every time I look into it again.

You think that having Google and Amazon working on the razor hardware margins model, making money on goods and services, would prompt Microsoft to change their strategy.

They have nobody to blame but themselves for their market performance.

In all fairness to MS, they've done a good job of reducing the price barrier of entry for their office suite--which I prefer to Google Docs--and which I exclusively use now, along with OneDrive to store all my stuff.

They're learning and adapting quickly of late and in my opinion their products are top of the line, so I don't mind paying a little more, but not Surface pricing more.

cakely

Ok, so if it's a full-fledged PC, what are people using for an input device? A plugged in mouse or Xbox 360 controller?

Also, do any windows games support the touch screen? I'm talking turn-based strategy like Civilization 5, FTL, etc.

Google

They're learning and adapting quickly of late and in my opinion their products are top of the line, so I don't mind paying a little more, but not Surface pricing more.

By quickly, you mean 5-6 years after the competition (in the case of Office)

Ok, so if it's a full-fledged PC, what are people using for an input device? A plugged in mouse or Xbox 360 controller?

Also, do any windows games support the touch screen? I'm talking turn-based strategy like Civilization 5, FTL, etc.

Can use anything you can use with a normal PC (because it's just a normal PC :)) - so Bluetooth kb+mouse, 360 controller.

Civ 5 has a special touch enabled mode which is apparently awesome although I've never used it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

i just use a xbox controller. i have played the civ demo on steam on my surface. works well.

Guevara

Doesn't he work at the devices division in general instead of just the Xbox division?

Title on Twitter is "Chief Marketing & Strategy Officer, XBOX, Microsoft Corp"

Speaking of Twitter:

@yusuf_i_mehdi
Details on Surface Pro3 : "the tablet that can replace your laptop!"​

Sure sounds like MS thinks this is a tablet. That or Yusuf didn't get the memo.

cakely

Can use anything you can use with a normal PC (because it's just a normal PC :)) - so Bluetooth kb+mouse, 360 controller.

Civ 5 has a special touch enabled mode which is apparently awesome although I've never used it.

Ok, I just looked at some demos of Civ 5 touchscreen and that's pretty cool.

d0nnie

Banned
Seriously, compared to an android tablet, Amazon Fire HD and an iPad the Surface RT is the most enjoyable to use. Live tiles + built in USB port + the absolute best web browsing experience on a tablet.

Heh, I'm sure that there's a lot of consumers that would disagree with that. Apple iPad and Android tablets are still king and will be for a long time.

Windows RT is a nice deviation from the norm, but it lacks. It just doesn't have the magic. It just too boring. I received a free Asus VivoTab last year from Microsoft (I used to work for a telecom company that deals with Microsoft), and I used it for a week, and went back to my Galaxy Tab and iPad respectively. Did Microsoft ever fix just having IE as the browser for Windows tab (I haven't used a Windows tablet in months)? Ridiculous. It's slow and bloaty....just one example.

He'll be there to explain that the low interest in the Surface is due to everybody being happy with their Zune and not wanting to upgrade.

I know I´m very late, but I gotta say, this is just too good. Fucking genious. lol

On topic: Looks good, but too pricy.
I'll wait until they drop the price or remove kinect... oh wait. :(

MaDKaT

Wow, that pricing. I absolutely love my Suface Pro(original 128GB). It was THE tablet I always wanted with a wacom digitizer and was thinking about jumping to the 3 for the i7 but not at those prices. With any luck I can snag one at a later date under $1400.

Top Bottom