• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox man - Yusuf Mehdi is at the Surface event today ?

Sorry for voicing my opinion upon hearing the specs and price. I didn't know threads about a game or product could only have glowing comments endorsing the product.

No one said that. You just aren't invalidating the Surface Pro 3 by saying you would rather have 2 crappy devices instead of 1 great one.

Title on Twitter is "Chief Marketing & Strategy Officer, XBOX, Microsoft Corp"

Speaking of Twitter:

@yusuf_i_mehdi
Details on Surface Pro3 : "the tablet that can replace your laptop!"​

Sure sounds like MS thinks this is a tablet. That or Yusuf didn't get the memo.
A tablet is a tablet because of the form factor. Tablets tend to be weak when compared to laptops and desktops running thin versions of full fledged OS. This is like a tablet in form factor but will keep up with high end laptops. That's why the price comparisons aren't really applicable with Ipads or android tablets. This is a fully loaded windows 8.1 OS in a impressively thin form factor with great specs. Its a different kind of Animal.

RE_Player

No one said that. You just aren't invalidating the Surface Pro 3 by saying you would rather have 2 crappy devices instead of 1 great one.
So a great laptop and a cheap tablet are crappy compared to the almighty Surface Pro 3 which you have not had hands on with whatsoever?

Title on Twitter is "Chief Marketing & Strategy Officer, XBOX, Microsoft Corp"

Speaking of Twitter:

@yusuf_i_mehdi
Details on Surface Pro3 : "the tablet that can replace your laptop!"​

Sure sounds like MS thinks this is a tablet. That or Yusuf didn't get the memo.
I think he was quoting Panos not saying it himself because Panos said exactly that, "this is the tablet that can replace your laptop".

I don't know what fucking planet they're on though. This is no cure to their poor sales, it's more of the cause of poor sales.

mid83

Does this thing have a dedicated graphics card? I can't find any mention of that on any the articles I've found about the Surface Pro 3 so far.

nzozoy.png

Holy shit.

And people talk shit about Apple, lol. But on the reals, I want one.

Tsundere

Banned
Man those prices are absolutely disgusting.

Microsoft can't charge a premium like Apple can, the brand just doesn't have the same luster... This is DoA.

PSGames

I hate that if you want to go from 64GB to 256GB you have to pay $500. And worse yet to go from 256 to 512 is $650. Crazy pricing.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I hate that if you want to go from 64GB to 256GB you have to pay $500. And worse yet to go from 256 to 512 is $650. Crazy pricing.

It does have a microSD slot.

A bit off topic, but I have been really wanting a to get a Surface but not sure which one to get. I will basically be using it for the companion App for the Xbox One, and maybe light gaming on it. And general browsing and Youtube stuff. Any suggestions?

JaggedSac

A bit off topic, but I have been really wanting a to get a Surface but not sure which one to get. I will basically be using it for the companion App for the Xbox One, and maybe light gaming on it. And general browsing and Youtube stuff. Any suggestions?

Go for the i7 Surface Pro 3.

Andodalf

Banned

Well that first jump does give you double the ram, and an i5. The second one also bumps you up to a i7

Both jumps are pretty big deals.

Not really. I'm guessing this will not compete well with MacBooks.

How so?

I wouldn't call MacBooks underpowered, but the pro surfaces are very solid pieces of hardware and compete very well against MacBooks. The Pro 3's look to continue and improve upon that.

PSGames

Well that first jump does give you double the ram, and an i5. The second one also bumps you up to a i7

Both jumps are pretty big deals.

True but an i3 and 4GBs of RAM are more than enough for my use case. They really should provide more storage options for the lower end.

Tsundere

Banned
Really, the only people out of touch here are those comparing it to a low power device like an iOS or android tablet. As it stands, it is comparable to any MacBook Air or intel ultra book, albeit with an active digitizer in place of a keyboard, meaning full x86 apps / steam games / etc. this is directed toward a very particular market, and not the mainstream low-cost tablet user.

That market is very niche... I have a Surface Pro that was gifted to me... And it's been useless since I find it too heavy to carry around for such a small device, the keyboard cover is terrible and I can't stand the touch keyboard for it either. Sure it can run apps and Windows 8/8.1. But I find it lacks identity... What is it? Tablet? Laptop? Neither? Both? It's stuck somewhere in the middle in my opinion.

Holy crap....LOL. Yeeeeeeaah...ok...Microsoft...good luck there...

There's no MSFT hardware that worth a high price tag...

Wow.

You might not like Microsoft on principle, but what you say reeks of ignorance.

MS branded hardware has always been some of the best, most well regarded products on the market. From the Intellimouse to their keyboards to the X360 Controller for Windows, a majority of the MS PC hardware released has been stellar, although they also could be seen as being high priced.

The Surface is really no different. High performance, high quality, high price.

You don't have to gain majority market share to be successful. Sometimes you can go for high profit/lower unit sales and come out ahead.

avaya

Wow.

MS branded hardware has always been some of the best, most well regarded products on the market. From the Intellimouse to their keyboards to the X360 Controller for Windows, a majority of the MS PC hardware released has been stellar, although they also could be seen as being high priced.

You don't have to gain majority market share to be successful. Sometimes you can go for high profit/lower unit sales and come out ahead.

Please. Microsoft does not command a premium price, trying to sell premium priced products is just going to end horrendously for them.

Ultimatum

Banned
Please. Microsoft does not command a premium price, trying to sell premium priced products is just going to end horrendously for them.

so if you had the best product on the market you'd sell at a price where you make no profit?

don't go into business

Doffen

Man those prices are absolutely disgusting.

Microsoft can't charge a premium like Apple can, the brand just doesn't have the same luster... This is DoA.

I would rather pay premium price for a premium product, than premium price for a premium logo.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Surface tablets are just awesome. I am still rocking my Surface Pro 128GB. Wanted to buy a tablet where I can write in my whole student life, and finally bought it in my final year of university. Dont need an upgrade yet.

avaya

so if you had the best product on the market you'd sell at a price where you make no profit?

don't go into business

How do you judge that this is the 'best product on the market'? That's a pretty spurious claim to make here.

Microsoft is not a premium brand. It's like asking Ford to try and compete with Mercedes/BMW/Audi in the high-end saloon market.

SRTtoZ

*Almost* makes me want to sell my S2 for the SP3. I didnt budge with the SP2 because it was still too bulky and I didnt like the charcoal color, it looks like this is a significant upgrade in every way. Hmm.

I love my S2 though regardless, fantastic product. Sold my iPad air and mini retina for this thing and do not regret it one bit.

Special C

I have a Surface Pro 2 and it has 100% replaced my laptop, and its very usable as a tablet. Microsoft may no thave the best brand name when it comes to hardware, but the Surface Pro devices are very well made and very premium.

d0nnie

Banned
Wow.

Actually, in my former career, I spent a lot of time with MSFT/Nokia mobile phones and tablets. I've seen quite a few flops come out of MSFT/Nokia. Thinks may have changed in the last year, and you may be right. Personally, I don't see myself ever owning an MSFT/Nokia tablet/phone in the near future. Again, just based on my previous telecom experience (and I'm not alone in this).

Doffen

How do you judge that this is the 'best product on the market'? That's a pretty spurious claim to make here.

Microsoft is not a premium brand. It's like asking Ford to try and compete with Mercedes/BMW/Audi in the high-end saloon market.

Microsoft creates lots of premium high-cost and high-functonality products.
Are they a brand of "fashion statement" like Apple, Audi or Louis Vuitton? No.
But that's not a factor for making premium quality products.

Nydius

Gold Member
Really, the only people out of touch here are those comparing it to a low power device like an iOS or android tablet. As it stands, it is comparable to any MacBook Air or intel ultra book, albeit with an active digitizer in place of a keyboard, meaning full x86 apps / steam games / etc. this is directed toward a very particular market, and not the mainstream low-cost tablet user.

No offense but people have been saying this exact same thing since the release of the first Surface Pro. There's merit in the comparisons and the power but the market just hasn't bitten.

The first Surface Pro was supposed to be an ultrabook in a tablet form factor. It didn't sell well.
The second Surface Pro was supposed to be a more powerful ultrabook in a tablet form factor that addressed some of the problems of the first Surface Pro. It hasn't sold well.
The third Surface Pro is supposed to be a super powerful ultrabook in a tablet form factor...

I'm noticing a trend here. The price tag has always been off-putting to consumers because - for better or worse - when they hear the word tablet the first thing that comes to mind is the iPad. IMO, Microsoft did themselves a great disservice by not creating a clear distinction between the Surface RT (more like the iPad) and the Surface Pro back when the first iterations were coming out. Honestly, Surface RT should have had a completely different name and marketing strategy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit.

MikeJordanLaughing.gif

Oh god, MS. You wonder why your Surface is flatlining
besides the lack of apps
? Just look at those prices.

Now look at Apple's. Now back to yours.
I'm on an iPad?

I'd love to get a Surface, but at $1500, I can get a Mac Pro or something in Apple's line, why would I buy a tablet/laptop hybrid for that price?

Nzyme32

I'm annoyed at the surface pro 3. They are advertising it as the "tablet that can replace your laptop" and yet it doesn't include the things I would get with a laptop, like the keyboard. I would like to get it but I won't be able to afford the Surface along with buying the other "accessories" I would need. I expect most reviews to be quite scathing of this matter

I'm annoyed at the surface pro 3. They are advertising it as the "tablet that can replace your laptop" and yet it doesn't include the things I would get with a laptop, like the keyboard. I would like to get it but I won't be able to afford the Surface along with buying the other "accessories" I would need. I expect most reviews to be quite scathing of this matter

Yea, I wish they would just throw in the keyboard with the purchase of a pro. For the regular Surface, I can see not packaging it together, but the Pro excels with the keyboard combo (and I can't imagine anyone buying the pro wouldn't want it).

Thankfully, there are often sales where they throw in a keyboard, but this is usually only around the holidays or before the new model arrives on the scene...

Actually, in my former career, I spent a lot of time with MSFT/Nokia mobile phones and tablets. I've seen quite a few flops come out of MSFT/Nokia. Thinks may have changed in the last year, and you may be right. Personally, I don't see myself ever owning an MSFT/Nokia tablet/phone in the near future. Again, just based on my previous telecom experience (and I'm not alone in this).

Not sure what Nokia has to do with the Surface, although I do own a Lumia 1020 and find it to be the best smartphone I've owned. In fact, it's really hard to find a negative review of the phone OS. The "lack of apps" thing is a bit ridiculous as well because it runs full IE meaning you can just go to any website with full features, making apps a bit pointless. But I digress.

MS has put out one branded tablet, the Surface. So I'm not sure what you're comparing this to?

If you do have the experience, I'd love to understand more. But what you're saying doesn't really make sense to me. Am I missing something?

You wonder why your Surface is flatlining besides the lack of apps

Why do you need an app if you're on a feature complete OS? Some of these criticisms...

JLS213

Banned
\
I'm noticing a trend here. The price tag has always been off-putting to consumers because - for better or worse - when they hear the word tablet the first thing that comes to mind is the iPad. IMO, Microsoft did themselves a great disservice by not creating a clear distinction between the Surface RT (more like the iPad) and the Surface Pro back when the first iterations were coming out. Honestly, Surface RT should have had a completely different name and marketing strategy.
more proof that the average consumer is an idiot

JLS213

Banned
That market is very niche... I have a Surface Pro that was gifted to me... And it's been useless since I find it too heavy to carry around for such a small device, the keyboard cover is terrible and I can't stand the touch keyboard for it either. Sure it can run apps and Windows 8/8.1. But I find it lacks identity... What is it? Tablet? Laptop? Neither? Both? It's stuck somewhere in the middle in my opinion.
since it's so useless i'll gladly take it off your hands lol

Anion

I actually want this. I am a big apple user with an iPhone, iPad, and even MacBook - but I think I might get this because it has full windows.

Derphoof

On the Microsoft website, they're comparing it to a 13" MacBook Pro... which is pretty much a completely different kind of device:

screenshot2014-05-20a56koz.png

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...190600?WT.mc_id=SurfaceBG=Surface-Pro-3-i3-64

The surface is amazing. I use my Surface Pro so much more than any tablet, and I've owned an iPad, still own a Asus Transformer tablet (android). The size of my Pro 1st gen is a bit too thick and the battery is a bit too short. Despite that I still never put mine down. The 3 fixes every complaint I've had about my gen1 but I won't upgrade because I can't afford it. If I didn't have my Pro this thing would be a no brainer.

I think the one feature I'm most disappointed with is the kickstand. The new fully adjustable stand just makes me sad. Almost enough to get me to eBay my current Pro for a gen3 ... almost.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Ill pick one up when it gets released in AUS. Be great to be on the move doing stock take in the shop and taking work home. Don't have to worry about switching devices.

If I can hook it up to my TV and use a controller for some light gaming, than im set.

Top Bottom