• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls on consumers to buy...Nintendo Wii?

wallet "FUHTA"? wha? whats "fuhta"?
in any case.....
i know for $500 im gettin a harddrive standard, a bluray drive (games AND movies), free online play, a motion sensing controller, and backwards compat with PS2/PS1 games

plus backed by the company that has provided me with hundreds of hours of entertainment for the last 10 years. thats what im lookin for...COMMITMENT...and the way PS2 lasted 6 whole years while xbox and gamecube floundered for barely 4 years.....no way im going with them again
just my 2cents :)

trmas

Banned
MS isn't scared of Nintendo. They just want to knock off the big bully who stole their lunch money last generation. And they will fight dirty.

Remember, they are MS. MS will win the US - and the videogame industry as a whole will suffer for it.

Beezy

frAntic_Frog said:
in any case.....
i know for $500 im gettin a harddrive standard, a bluray drive (games AND movies), free online play, a motion sensing controller, and backwards compat with PS2/PS1 games

plus backed by the company that has provided me with hundreds of hours of entertainment for the last 10 years. thats what im lookin for...COMMITMENT...and the way PS2 lasted 6 whole years while xbox and gamecube floundered for barely 4 years.....no way im going with them again
just my $600 :)

Fixed.

Spencerr

Banned
frAntic_Frog said:
in any case.....

just my 2cents :)

Fresh Prince said:
I swear some of the 'damage control' I've seen is a bit too viral for my liking.

mhm

yilmazz

CO_Andy said:
g470197_jet.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
OH MY GAWD.. it took me like 2 minutes to realize that the fucking cat is sitting on a jet.. at first I thought it was broken into ice or something like that and I wondered.. wondered for a long time.. my eyes.. my brain..where is my bed? :(

VALIS

Okay, now I know why Nintendo chose the perplexing and odd sounding name of Wii.

So all this could happen, of course. "Revolution60" certainly does not have the same ring to it.

THIS WAS ALL PLANNED

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
VALIS said:
Okay, now I know why Nintendo chose the perplexing and odd sounding name of Wii.

So all this could happen, of course. "Revolution60" certainly does not have the same ring to it.

THIS WAS ALL PLANNED

Well there always was 36Revolution for japan (since the way you pronounce Xbox 360 in japanese would translate back to Xbox Three Six Circle)

Jasoco

Banned
I really like this alliance.

But the reality of the thing is the 360 at this moment doesn't appeal to me. So I will be using my money for more Wii and DS stuff. But I'm hoping MS acquires more of the stuff that Sony cherishes so much and eventually pushes them to third place. Maybe once they have more games I want, I'll have one.

MS is rich. Why they haven't simply offered Squenix an assload of money and said "Hey, come join our team and I'll give ya all this green stuff." is beyond me. Does Sony own more of Squenix than we think? If Squenix just so attached to Sony? Maybe it's the US thing. MS can just loan Nintendo the money and have Nintendo do the buying.

Whatever. It's not like MS can't afford the one company Sony has that pretty much keeps them alive.

P90

VALIS said:

THIS WAS ALL PLANNED

360 degrees is one Revolution

jax (old)

Banned
whatever microsoft says or think, early adopters have shown time and again that price is no barrier.

and ....

PS3 has TGS still for game reveals before launch. :)

MS is never going to be able to make much of a dent.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
whatever microsoft says or think, early adopters have shown time and again that price is no barrier.

and ....

PS3 has TGS still for game reveals before launch.

MS is never going to be able to make much of a dent.

You think just because it is Sony people are going to spend this money on a videogame machine. Tout the BluRay all you want but all people want is something to play games. Sony was at a fortunate time to include DVD playback just when it was starting to pick up. This situation with BluRay is entirely different. Not to mention the PS2 didn't cost 600 dollars.

trmas said:
Remember, they are MS. MS will win the US - and the videogame industry as a whole will suffer for it.
Yeah, that would suck if they won this generation and then bullied around the consumer by doing something insane like charging $600 for their console.

Cooter

Yeah, that would suck if they won this generation and then bullied around the consumer by doing something insane like charging $600 for their console.

Nice.

Although I wouldn't say Sony is bullying anyone. They just made a mistake expecting their brand name to carry them through. Sony does not have millions of die-hard fans. They have millions of casuals that played the Playstation because it was clearly market leader and had the best games. Both of these things are now in doubt and the thing costs double what its predecessor did.

I honestly don't see how they can recover. I'm strictly basing this on the price tag. Unless a miracle occurs Sony's fall from the top officially started May, 8th 2006.

trmas

Banned
Yes, this is MS. The same company that used ruthless, illegal tactics to drive Netscape out of business, that has ripped off, threatened, and generally bullied or bought out anyone who posed a threat to them.

MS, who is still being investigated by the US Government (most don't know), and has the buggiest piece of crap of an OS on the market, but there's nothing else to buy. I want them winning the gaming war, so they can screw up my favorite hobby like they have everything else they've done. I work with MS on a daily basis, been offered jobs numerous times by their divisions, but generally dislike dealing with them. I don't know anyone who designs networks who likes dealing with them, personally. But you have to respect them - they could buy up your company tomorrow and put you and your coworkers out on the street.

It may hurt my stock, but the world would be a better place if sweet, loveable MS was shut down tomorrow, and broken into pieces like Ma Bell was years ago. The worst thing that could EVER happen to gaming is if MS outright wins the console war.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
trmas said:
Yes, this is MS. The same company that used ruthless, illegal tactics to drive Netscape out of business, that has ripped off, threatened, and generally bullied or bought out anyone who posed a threat to them.

MS, who is still being investigated by the US Government (most don't know), and has the buggiest piece of crap of an OS on the market, but there's nothing else to buy. I want them winning the gaming war, so they can screw up my favorite hobby like they have everything else they've done. I work with MS on a daily basis, been offered jobs numerous times by their divisions, but generally dislike dealing with them. I don't know anyone who designs networks who likes dealing with them, personally. But you have to respect them - they could buy up your company tomorrow and put you and your coworkers out on the street.

It may hurt my stock, but the world would be a better place if sweet, loveable MS was shut down tomorrow, and broken into pieces like Ma Bell was years ago. The worst thing that could EVER happen to gaming is if MS outright wins the console war.
I guess it's up to non-profit organizations like Sony and Nintendo to keep MS from monopolizing the industry then.

trmas

Banned
There can't be a monopoly by any company for consumers to benefit. That said, I'm willing to take my chances on the other two, because I know from personal experience MS is plain ruthless in the way it does business

Cooter

So we agree then. Nintendo to the top! Sure they might over use thier power once in a while but there's no questioning thier desire to create fun new experiences. I'd be happy with Nintendo at the controls for a generation or two once again.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
:lol No he didn't !!

I really didn't see that coming baby.

Wii60Station for me :p.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
can't forget the HD-DVD add on along with your Xbox360+Wii purchase!

isn't the HD-DVD add-on like the size of the Wii?

trmas

Banned
I'd like to see a split this time. Or Nintendo win outright - but they don't have the graphical horsepower to appeal to many casual gamers.

monkeyrun

yilmazz said:
:lol :lol :lol
OH MY GAWD.. it took me like 2 minutes to realize that the fucking cat is sitting on a jet.. at first I thought it was broken into ice or something like that and I wondered.. wondered for a long time.. my eyes.. my brain..where is my bed? :(
you need Brain training:lol

Tellaerin

Mike Works said:

Such horrible bullies they are. I mean, they've got to be profiting by at least a good... -$200 or more per unit sold. Those thieving bastards!

Sure, the system's expensive, and the pricing's going to hurt them. But it's not like they're charging you an arm and a leg just so they can turn a massive profit on the hardware, either. Looking at the value of what's in the box vs. what they're selling it for, the consumer is getting a good deal.

Daisuke Wakabayashi said:
Sony currently dominates the worldwide video game market with a 66 percent share, while Microsoft and Nintendo each hold 17 percent, according to Strategy Analytics.
That's just weird. Presumably they mean consoles, so Xbox being a few million ahead of GameCube would make them not both 17%. Unless they're incorrectly rounding 16.01% and 17.99% towards the middle.

HocusPocus said:
Way to piss off the early adopters eh? A price cut as early as you say would also scream panic.
While it is quite unlike the PS2/PSP Sony we now know, PS1, N64, GCN, Xbox, and DS all had their first price drops at 6-9 months.

CountZeroInt said:
well, if you like FF you're probably not too excited about playing Mario or Halo are you?
<----- SNES-bred gaming tastes for the monetary lose. :( Though for the price of a PS3 I can pick up The Crystal Bearers, Dragon Quest Swords, Final Fantasy V & VI GBA, and the next 10 Square-Enix DS games.

Shmmeee

davepoobond said:
can't forget the HD-DVD add on along with your Xbox360+Wii purchase!

isn't the HD-DVD add-on like the size of the Wii?

What you're forgetting is I'm buying a games machine, not an overpriced, useless-without-an-overpriced-TV, possibly not supported in 2 years time DVD player.

Quite frankly fuck Sony for trying to force me to have their shitty unwanted, unneeded format again (*cough*UMD, MiniDisk, MemoryStick*cough*)

Why anyone would buy a PS3 unless they are MGS freaks is beyond me.

Wii60 FTW: Better games, Better choice.

Mr Toast

The Fanboy within beckons ...

Halo 3 has me absolutely fuckig PUMPED, and Mario Galaxy looked great in motion.
Already have a 360, and Nintendo showed all the right titles as far as Im concerned.

But MGS4.

I cant do without it.

I *WILL* buy that game, even if it ends up being a year before I get a PS3 (waiting til its below $500 AUD so my Better Half doesnt have conniptions)

maxmars

demon said:
I guess it's up to non-profit organizations like Sony and Nintendo to keep MS from monopolizing the industry then.

Nope the best scenario is where no one gets a Monopoly. Well, in MS case, a second monopoly.

I think what moore's saying is a bad idea. It works on a gaming community like this, as you can see by all the photoshops and "alleigances" but in the real world he's saying the PS3 has the worth of two consoles.

I'm not gonna go to a car dealer and go "That car's a rip off" *points* "I can buy those two cars for the same price." *waves hand in general direction of aformentioned vehicles*, I'm gonna say "the more expensive car is shit hot."*does that thing with his fingers like AliG*

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
he is definitely not saying that way to spin his comments.

and :lol at your car analogy. sonybots in spinning mode is fucking hilarious.

Top Bottom