• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls on consumers to buy...Nintendo Wii?

gofreak said:
ILook in this thread. There are people hesitating because of games they want on PS3. Lets face it, I think most would prefer a PS3 ignoring the price.

You are 100% correct on this point the Playstation brandname is still just as strong as it ever was, and yes I do believe it is going to guarantee Sony a respetable sell through when all is said and done.

The thing that bothers me though is the absurdity of Sony's pricing plan. If their plan for the Ps3 is for it to be a stealth Blu-ray player they need to sell it at a mass market price and they completely missed that boat py pricing it at $600. It seems to me Sony has completely abandoned the Japanese staple of target costing, because I can guarantee 600 dollars is not a price the large majority of people are willing to pay.

My point is this, 600 dollars is not a mass market price and Blu-ray is not going to push people over the edge, so what exactly is Sony's strategy then? Is it to recoup R&D in the short-term by taking advantage of early adpoters? If so then I guess Sony doesn't see the 360 as a viable alternative, which IMO reeks of arrogance and poor management. And as you said content has always been the rule of the day with the Playstation, but as of right now the 360 is already on the market and its portfolio of titles is growing larger by the day, trust me people will notice this. They did with the PS2 and they will again with the 360.

Sony really have to hope that the EA Sports titles look markedly better on PS3 than 360.

Of course, currently the EA Sports titles don't look that much better on 360 than current gen, but it's definitely something that drives purchases during fall.

Pro Evo for 360 this fall is a massive thing for 360 in Europe, especially in World Cup year.

Wii will be sporting new/alternative gameplay, 360 the same gameplay with similar graphics for $100-200 cheaper....

I would be nervous if I was Sony, as this really will test the brand loyalty to it's max.

Ben Sones

LegendofJoe said:
You may laugh at Peter Moore's comment now, but the point he made about the Ps3 costing as much as the 360 and Wii combined is going to resonate heavily with consumers.

I don't see many people in this thread laughing. I do see a lot of "Wii60 FTW" comments, though.

Ben Sones

gofreak said:
I could talk about other technical advantages, but content access is its biggest strength, as it was with PS2 and PS1. Look in this thread. There are people hesitating because of games they want on PS3. Lets face it, I think most would prefer a PS3 ignoring the price.

Well, sure. But that's sort of like saying "Most people would float off into space, ignoring gravity." The PS3 costs what it costs. You can't exactly ignore it when you get up to the cash register.

Besides, the high sticker price is there to deter Ehorders and sell the PS3 for it's real value. I would much rather pay $600 bones for a console than $1000 on EBay.

No danger - anyone buying a PS3 premium this fall has got money to burn, and Ebay will be worse than ever. AV enthusiasts and gadget freaks will pay up to $1000 dollars on ebay for a PS3 easily simply *because they can afford it*.

However, people looking at PS3 for games will be fucked.

I'm got a decent wage, and would be pretty much termed prime 360/PS3 demographic.

If PS3 had announced 1 SKU at $499 with HDMI and BluRay, i probably would have stretched to that - $599 is a tall order for me to justify, because I'm after the games.

However, there will be plenty of poor bastards willing to pay through the nose for it at launch, and they will be running the risk of bending over again when the PS3 price drops after 3 months.

Because they will not be able to sustain that price point for long.

Leatherface

:lol

too funny. That is exactly what I'll be getting too. 360 and Wii. Both awesome machines with two different focuses! I'll have no shortage of awesome gaming.

Wii360 indeed! :D

gofreak said:
I could talk about other technical advantages, but content access is its biggest strength, as it was with PS2 and PS1. Look in this thread. There are people hesitating because of games they want on PS3. Lets face it, I think most would prefer a PS3 ignoring the price.

But things change and if a ship is sinking, don't look for devs to be bolted down. They will adapt to the market if neccessary.

Except for that Kojima fellow. It's like that guy's been breast-feeding on Sony his whole life, and BOY does he love that titty.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ben Sones said:
Well, sure. But that's sort of like saying "Most people would float off into space, ignoring gravity." The PS3 costs what it costs. You can't exactly ignore it when you get up to the cash register.

Also i bet a lot of people were going to buy Saturn, if they ignored the price.... 3DO if they ignored the price... Neo Geo if they ignored the price.

All more powerful systems for their time... and system power was all the craze as it is today

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
HocusPocus said:
Way to piss off the early adopters eh? A price cut as early as you say would also scream panic. :)

In 9-12 months, perhaps? I don't think so.

Ben Sones said:

Of course not, but I don't think it'll be so absurdly out of reach for enough people this year to sell it out, nor will it be so absurdly out of reach over time that people won't be able to pick it up over time. If they want it, they will, when it comes within their range.

balohna

DopeyFish said:
Also i bet a lot of people were going to buy Saturn, if they ignored the price.... 3DO if they ignored the price... Neo Geo if they ignored the price.

All more powerful systems for their time... and system power was all the craze as it is today
But none of them were market leaders... well Sega almost was, but Saturn didn't even have a bloody Sonic game.

It would be pure marketing genius for some retailer to put this together. Move two units for the price of one. Moving two units means moving more games and more margins.

Wii60 and PS3 side by side for the same price? Lots of buyers will choose Wii60 over PS3 and retailers will benefit.

Shmmeee

All I know is that PES 360 & GTA 360 will seriously dent Sony's hold in Europe, Wii will seriously dent it's hold in Japan. Maybe the states can save Sony, but I doubt it.

The price cut argument is void as both Wii60 will also have had a price cut by then. As always it's all about games and not being a MGS fanboy, Wii60 has everything I need.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This Wii60 thing is funny. Mostly because it sounds good. Who would have thought? Wii can sound good :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is kind of annoying.

Wii60/36ii hooray. Do you have to traipse around the entire forum posting the same shit?

The best combination is PS36ii. All three of them. And that's the only way to get the best experiences on all three consoles. Wait for the price to come down or whatever but you all know you're buying a PS3 anyway and this is annoying, delusional self-loathing.

Ben Sones

Shmmeee said:
All I know is that PES 360 & GTA 360 will seriously dent Sony's hold in Europe, Wii will seriously dent it's hold in Japan. Maybe the states can save Sony, but I doubt it.

Even if all the Final Fantasy and MGS fans in the States decide that they don't mind spending $600 on Sony's console (and that's being generous), I doubt it will matter. MGS3 sold about 1.4 million copies in the US, and Final Fantasy X sold about 2.7 million. GTA: San Andreas outsold both of those games combined--7.4 million copies, just in the US. Losing GTA exclusivity is a HUGE deal in the States.

MS offers Nintendo Truce - that sounds so good and trustworthy.

hitler-chamberlain.jpg

---- Let's not be too naive - XBOX Handheld says hi

hyp

count me in on the wii60 bandwagon! i already own a 360 and wii is my top priority in november. depending on how much more sony reveals from this point on, i may or may not get the PS3 until next year. (though heavenly sword is goddamn fucking unbelievable)

cheers to wii60! :lol

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This makes perfect sense. The wii provides much less of a threat for the 360 in America than the p3 will. Conversely in Japan, the 360 poses absolutely no threat to the wii, but the ps3 will.

Its a very logical 'alliance', in that sense.

milanbaros

Member?
Microsoft have absofuckinlutely taken their gloves off for this fight. They are here to destroy Sony as soon as possible.

Nintendo doesn't pose a threat right now, hence the comments, anything to get at Sony. As soon as they do they will also be destroyed.

Vormund

NintendosBooger said:
Nintendo would "partner up" with Sony to get rid of Microsoft before ever teaming up with MS to get rid of Sony.

Ooh I don't know about that. Remember the SNES/CD PlayStation?

NintendosBooger said:
Nintendo would "partner up" with Sony to get rid of Microsoft before ever teaming up with MS to get rid of Sony.
Being serious here...no. Sony is a direct threat to their home territory while MS is not.

Vormund said:
Ooh I don't know about that. Remember the SNES/CD PlayStation?

1993:

SONY "Ill help you build a silencer for that gun if you teach me how to shoot it"

Ninty "Ah, great, sure, here's how to hold it"

SONY *fiddles* *tries* *learns*

1 minute later - points gun at Ninty "Now get the hell out of here, guns are not for kids!"

This is one crazy ass E3. I went in wanting aPS3, now I'm getting a Wii60.... I always planned to get a Wii.... just had my doubts about launch.

Timbuktu

Are we getting rid of a corrupt and rotten republic for an evil empire? I think so. If Sony does fall, I hope for the entrance of a new party, Apple or Samsung perhaps to shake things up. Otherwise, Nintendo will be our only hope.

winston_pr said:
1993:

SONY "Ill help you build a silencer for that gun if you teach me how to shoot it"

Next day - points gun at Ninty
It's like Die Hard and Hans is Sony. Hans enjoyed a few moments of apparent domination. The minute he pulled the trigger to no avail is like when Sony announced the $599 price point.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Being serious here...no. Sony is a direct threat to their home territory while MS is not.

Not to mention Sony's recent entry into the handheld market. I think at this point Nintendo would rather deal with MS but it's all speculative and useless message board rambling.

Timbuktu

winston_pr said:
1993:

1 minute later - points gun at Ninty "Now get the hell out of here, this is not for kids!"

I think it was Nintendo who stabbed Sony in the back, just not enough to kill them off and Sony came back for revenge.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I don't fucking believe it.

Wii60 +1 here as well. Hell, I've already got half of that equation. PS3 = neeeeext yeeeeeear!

PuertoRicanJuice said:
It's like Die Hard and Hans is Sony. Hans enjoyed a few moments of apparent domination. The minute he pulled the trigger to no avail is like when Sony announced the $599 price point.

Someone needs to GIF this scenario IMMEDIATELY.

"Duh, it's not loaded asshole."

:lol

Timbuktu said:
I think it was Nintendo who stabbed Sony in the back, just not enough to kill them off and Sony came back for revenge.

now i think we may need a "thats not a knife.. THIS is a KNIFE." photoshop for that one.

PuertoRicanJuice said:

Before E3
dh2983cu.jpg

Post E3
hans-top.jpg

Aryuken

Banned
PuertoRicanJuice said:

Ypei-kai-yay Motherfucker :lol

Aryuken

Banned
Timbuktu said:
Are we getting rid of a corrupt and rotten republic for an evil empire? I think so. If Sony does fall, I hope for the entrance of a new party, Apple or Samsung perhaps to shake things up. Otherwise, Nintendo will be our only hope.

Sony will never fall. They will probably just bend over to someone else.

Top Bottom