• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls on consumers to buy...Nintendo Wii?

gofreak said:
The problem is, functionally Wii and 360 combined still don't match a PS3 - or at least, Sony could certainly drive that perception. Not to mention the access to content it affords, and should afford, in a typical Playstation fashion.

This is a comparison Sony could quite easily turn sunny side up.

Yeah, but are people really clamoring to get HD players? I sure haven't seen it yet, and I extremely doubt its going to do for the ps3 what DVD did for the ps2. And other than Blu-Ray what exactly does the Ps3 offer over its competition?

Microsoft want Nintendo to be their "Apple" of the video game market. If you see what I mean....the DS is Nintendo's iPod and home consoles will be Nintendo's "Macs". Maybe I'm not making sense but that's my way of looking at it...also looking at how Rare is supporting the DS is like how Microsoft Office supports the Mac etc.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Ummm, how? He's speaking strictly about the issue of price for a games console.

I don't know, he seems to be turning into one of relative value. Sony's weak point is the absolute price involved, not value, he'd be better of talking about how much cheaper his system is in absolute terms IMO.

LegendofJoe said:
Yeah, but are people really clamoring to get HD players? I sure haven't seen it yet, and I extremely doubt its going to do for the ps3 what DVD did for the ps2. And other than Blu-Ray what exactly does the Ps3 offer over its competition?

I could talk about other technical advantages, but content access is its biggest strength, as it was with PS2 and PS1. Look in this thread. There are people hesitating because of games they want on PS3. Lets face it, I think most would prefer a PS3 ignoring the price.

wii60logo.jpg

piii.jpg

Providing one of these happens enough, Gamecube's underperformance is a distant memory.

koam

I wasnt a PSiii but the price of a wii and Ps3 is just too much.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with Diddy Kong Racing btw.

Vormund

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
Microsoft want Nintendo to be their "Apple" of the video game market. If you see what I mean....

And since they are basically next door to each other they can just go bitch slap them when they want.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters.

Amazing. I never though I'd see the day. Wii60 is for real!

P90

gofreak said:
The problem is, functionally Wii and 360 combined still don't match a PS3 - or at least, Sony could certainly drive that perception. Not to mention the access to content it affords, and should afford, in a typical Playstation fashion.

This is a comparison Sony could quite easily turn sunny side up.

Explain how. the PS3 controller is not nearly as sophisticated as wii. The 360's graphical power is in the sameballpark as the PS3's. You get two systems (one with better online service than PS3 and the other with a better interface than the PS3) for the price of one. Bluray is not enough to sway me. I doubt for many others too.

DVD could be enjoyed by everybody. Everybody wanted DVDs, because they worked with your TV, showed a clear increase in quality, offered much more bonus features and didn't start to look shit after a few years. So it was an obvious draw for PS2.

Only people with HDTVs will want Blu-Ray. If they're right in saying 25% of homes will have HDTV by the end of this year (which seems a push, and is only in America), than what the fuck are 75% of the population getting for the $500 PS3 that the $300 XBox 360 doesn't give them?

I can't see Blu Ray being a draw for PS3 for a good while, assuming the format really takes off. Microsoft have played this right by not having HD-DVD built in to their system.

gofreak said:
I don't know, he seems to be turning into one of relative value. Sony's weak point is the absolute price involved, not value, he'd be better of talking about how much cheaper his system is in absolute terms IMO.
He only talks of gaming and competitive pricing in that interview, so I'd think that the comment is held in that context.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
He only talks of gaming and competitive pricing in that interview, so I'd think that the comment is held in that context.

People considering a PS3 and desiring a PS3 for all it offers, will.

P90 said:
Explain how. the PS3 controller is not nearly as sophisticated as wii. The 360's graphical power is in the sameballpark as the PS3's. You get two systems (one with better online service than PS3 and the other with a better interface than the PS3) for the price of one. Bluray is not enough to sway me.

How convenient, but MS has made it fair game for comparison with their strap-on. And it's certainly part of the comparison for me, because I am interested in HD movies (and I can't see how anyone with HDTV wouldn't be). The comparison for me would become Wii + 360 + strap-on, which suddenly makes PS3 look like a steal, but yet still doesn't comprehensively match its functionality (HDD space, power etc.)

But note what I said - "Sony could certainly drive that perception", and I was specifically thinking about the controller when I said that. Looking at mainstream articles on both Wii and PS3's motion sensing capability, distinction between their capabilities isn't really made. The perception seems to be that both are offering that now.

Still, though, for now Sony's strongest card remains content.

A lot of people I know with HDTVs, their TVs only go up to 1080i. So they'll be more apt to get an Xbox 360 and a HD-DVD player than a PS3 and Bluray.

Bluray is a good idea to put in the PS3 because despite the flop that was UMD, there's no telling how BR will be in the market. Personally I think the DVD market is too strong to adapt either HD-DVD or Bluray. In fact, just in 2004, finally DVD sales outpaced VHS sales. Consumers aren't going to move to another medium so fast. Maybe during the Xbox 1080/PS4/Wiii generation, yes, but not this one.

Oh and I don't think there will be any collusion with Microsoft and Nintendo. Moore was just pointing out you can get two great systems for the price of one that has many, many cutting edge games. I don't expect any kind of tag team alliance.

Mrbob

Me and norinrad on the same side? Hmm let me think about this unholy alliance first before committing. :D

Which they will be lagging behind MS for at least a couple years. 2007 when Halo 3 and GTA4 hit on the 360 is going to be huge. MS neutralized Sony's biggest asset on PS2. If Sony overtakes MS in the west, it isn't going to be until very late now. Probably around 2009/2010.

PhatSaqs

Banned
gofreak said:

How convenient, but MS has made it fair game for comparison with their strap-on. And it's certainly part of the comparison for me, because I am interested in HD movies (and I can't see how anyone with HDTV wouldn't be). The comparison for me would become Wii + 360 + strap-on, which suddenly makes PS3 look like a steal, but yet still doesn't comprehensively match its functionality (HDD space, power etc.)

But note what I said - "Sony could certainly drive that perception", and I was specifically thinking about the controller when I said that. Looking at mainstream articles on both Wii and PS3's motion sensing capability, distinction between their capabilities isn't really made. The perception seems to be that both are offering that now.

He's baaaack :lol. Hard to believe (then again maybe not) you're still spinning for Sony after all the BS they burned you on over the past year. And I seriously do hope you're getting paid well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Experiment said:
A lot of people I know with HDTVs, their TVs only go up to 1080i. So they'll be more apt to get an Xbox 360 and a HD-DVD player than a PS3 and Bluray.

Why? You're spending at least $500, the same price that would get you a PS3 with a 20GB HDD + the rest, in one neat package. And content access remains stronger on blu-ray, currently.

PhatSaqs said:
He's baaaack :lol. Hard to believe (then again maybe not) you're still spinning for Sony after all the BS they burned you on over the past year.

? I think you need to PM me, you've been calling me out over absolutely nothing a couple of times now, and I've no idea what you're talking about.

Mrbob said:
Me and norinrad on the same side? Hmm let me think about this unholy alliance first before committing. :D

I never thought this day would come either Bob, but here's the deal, you guys can keep them busy in europe/USA while we rape them in Japan. Full assault. Sony never saw it coming :lol :lol

gofreak said:
And it's certainly part of the comparison for me, because I am interested in HD movies (and I can't see how anyone with HDTV wouldn't be). The comparison for me would become Wii + 360 + strap-on, which suddenly makes PS3 look like a steal, but yet still doesn't comprehensively match its functionality (HDD space, power etc.)

The problem, and the crux of Peter's comments, is that this isn't about you. It's about the casuals, that 75% that was mentioned.

Here's the deal, the PS3 is now officially the Hummer of consoles. Do they sell? Yes. Are they coveted? Mystifyingly, yes. Do they make up even 10% of the cars you see driving to work? Nope.

The more that I think about it, the more that, on a purely GAMES level, Sony really has to show at least a $200 leap in quality from their games to 360's. And I sincerely doubt that will ever happen. It might just be the tinitus from playing Lost Planet this morning though.

mrroboto

Banned
Wait for it...................wait for it...............................

OMG MICROSOFT AND NINTENDO TEAM UP!!!!!! :lol

Anyways, Moore does speak the truth. I really think Sony has priced themselves out of the next generation. I just can't see them pulling in huge sell through numbers with a $600 price tag. And let's face it....it's more of a $700 price tag after tax and at least one game ($60) to play on it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
The problem, and the crux of Peter's comments, is that this isn't about you. It's about the casuals, that 75% that was mentioned.

Enter marketing. Is their job more difficult with a higher price? Sure. Not impossible, though, and these prices won't be permanent. A $399 (20GB) PS3 next year versus a $299 (20GB) 360 might be more palletable for more people, and PS3's advantages more relevant to more people at that time, but we shall see.

PhatSaqs

Banned
gofreak said:
? I think you need to PM me, you've been calling me out over absolutely nothing a couple of times now, and I've no idea what you're talking about.
No need for PMs. I'm not hiding anything. I think you're a PR piece for Sony. Your damage control and PR for everything PS3 related speaks for itself. I thought you'd be at least a little critical of them once all of the bombs dropped but I guess that was me giving you the benefit of the doubt based on others' account of you. But dont mind me really. I think it's hilarious.

Carry on the good fight...

hadareud

The Translator
I have a hard time believing that Sony will drop the price within 12 months, especially given their past record with price drops.

Also, 360's hdd will not remain 20mb forever, they will come out with a bigger version eventually.

gofreak said:
Enter marketing. Is their job more difficult with a higher price? Sure. Not impossible, though, and these prices won't be permanent. A $399 (20GB) PS3 next year versus a $299 (20GB) 360 might be more palletable for more people, and PS3's advantages more relevant to more people at that time, but we shall see.

I completely agree with you there. Sadly, I think their E3 marketing was phenomenal from a visual and conceptual standpoint. Unfortunately, no one remembers it anymore. There are some things marketing can't overcome.

And if PS3 drops to $399 next year, I think you can guarantee the 360 will drop as well. I can't see any scenario where there won't be that $200 gap. It might 20gig v. 20gig at that price, but the Core will be sitting there at two hundo with it's Xbox Live Silver package, and probably even bundled with Gears Of War or something and saying "*psst* I play GTA4 too!"

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
gofreak said:

Whoo..hold your horses. A 100 drop from the PS3Tard so soon? Not likely. Sony has been very stringy regarding price drops, they don´t happen so soon. Remember that the PS3 will still be sold at a loss, slashing the price with 100 bucks so soon is a big "ay ay" inte checkbook for Sony.

Besides, If Sony "can" lower the price by next year with 100 bucks, who says that MS dosen´t do the same? 299 for Premium, 199 for core...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PhatSaqs said:
No need for PMs. I'm not hiding anything. I think you're a PR piece for Sony. Your damage control and PR for everything PS3 related speaks for itself. I thought you'd be at least a little critical of them once all of the bombs dropped but I guess that was me giving you the benefit of the doubt based on others' account of you. But dont mind me really. I think it's hilarious.

I've said very little about the price, and I've made no challenges about people's concerns regarding it (i.e. 'damage control'). The points I'm making here are about value. Do I think the price should be lower? Yes, absolutely, but not for my sake. I said before E3 I was expecting $600, and for me that's fine. For you? I hope it'll drop price soon.

Maximilian E. said:
Whoo..hold your horses. A 100 drop from the PS3Tard so soon? Not likely. Sony has been very stringy regarding price drops, they don´t happen so soon.

We'll see, but it would not surprise me. I think they'll have to, to be honest. The prices suggest to me that they're simply happy to take in x hundred million more in the first x number of months, because they can.

gofreak said:
Well, I'm not sure what you're getting at here exactly...but I guess I fail to see how Sony could take Moore's comment and make any use of it for themselves.

Matt_C

human5892 said:
I'd rather have a PS3 and a Wii. (Although I'm sure as hell not spending $600 for one.)

Yeah same here for me but I do want a PS3 mainly at launch day (with the Wii) since the 360 Library does not interest me outside of Lost Plantet, Dead Rising, the Live Arcade, and maybe 360 Naruto but that is in 2007.

There are no fighting games announced on the 360, with the little posibility of 60fps running easy to play and master fpses, and no mouse and keyboard enabled games for the 360. So you can take your shadobum and Gears of War (I cannot stand squad based shooters) and shove it!

Besides, the high sticker price is there to deter Ehorders and sell the PS3 for it's real value. I would much rather pay $600 bones for a console than $1000 on EBay.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it's quite obvious what Moore must do to gain Japan.

Scrap the Microsoft war chest.... sink it ALL into the acquisition of FF, DQ and MGS exclusivity..... The conference proved that even though PS3 is beyond sane reach, fanboys and Japanese folks all over still comitted to one....

Rur0ni

Dedalus said:
Wii60 or a Sony PiiS3. Decisions decisions.
By the time PS3 launches, there will be a more extensive x360 library. Person buys a Wii, games, and accessories. Comes down to x360 or PS3 as next purchase. But you just spent $300+ on Wii. Do you really want to spend $700+ for another console (ps3) with a limited library and no visual difference to the cheaper console (x360) that already has an established line of games.

When GTA comes out, and most of the market has an x360, they will buy GTA for x360. People who wait for holiday 07 to buy a console, will recognize their precious GTA is available to both consoles. And i'd go with x360 because it will be $200-300 cheaper in Holiday 2007. Holiday 07 is like, the most important time period coming up I think. Holiday 06 everything will sell out.

360 + PS3 does not compute. The few exclusives aren't worth that pricetag.

Now in Japan PS3 has a chance, since the x360 isnt gaining the ground it needs there. So a PiiS3 combo in Japan can happen.

Getting a Wii myself now after E3 showed me the light. PS3 = when it hits $200 in about 5 years. hehe :)

gofreak said:
We'll see, but it would not surprise me. I think they'll have to, to be honest. The prices suggest to me that they're simply happy to take in x hundred million more in the first x number of months, because they can.

Way to piss off the early adopters eh? A price cut as early as you say would also scream panic. :)

Matt_C said:
Besides, the high sticker price is there to deter Ehorders and sell the PS3 for it's real value. I would much rather pay $600 bones for a console than $1000 on EBay.

So totally wrong. I remember seeing this actually convince the good Dr.Cogent of these here forums to actually BUY one expressly for this purpose. If anything, this only made shortages worse, and the potential for Dead Rising style battles for the Premiums even more likely. Since there's no way to catch up a $500 version to a $600 version with add ons, the second half of the line at Best Buy is SO TOTALLY GOING TO SHOOT the first half of the line.

Seriously, mark my words. Red Christmas. I'm not kidding.

Top Bottom