• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls on consumers to buy...Nintendo Wii?

Treo360

Somehow this doesn't seem too far off now

miyamoto_iwatacopy.jpg

Gio_CoD

Banned
If Microsoft can convince Konami to port MGS4 to the 360, it's all over for Sony. I'm sure of it.

EDIT

^^^ Is Master Chief wearing ski goggles?

R&R

OMG it is confirmed!

Wii60 = F - T - W - !

(no, seriously, who could have though this happening couple of days ago...)

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
"Quite frankly," said Moore, "if we're sitting here a year from now and things continue to fall flat, then we might say 'we don't know what to do anymore."'
Why prolong the pain? Just get it over with.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I wonder how big of a pull MGS4 is going to be for casual gamers though. We cant forget HALO 3 is massive. That alone could swing a lot of ppl, esp here in the west to the Wii60.

ziran

i've liked peter moore's comments for a while.

sony's desire for putting a blu-ray capable games machine in your living room is going to cost them big time.

bengraven

"People will always gravitate toward a competitively priced product -- like what I believe Wii will be -- with innovative new designs and great intellectual property like Mario, Zelda and Metroid," Moore told Reuters

This is fucking scary. What does he know? There's something going on here that we can't see. It's like fucking LOST...the clues are all there, we just aren't getting the whole story.

What's in the Box, what's in the Box?!

Emotions

Drek said:
The motion sensing controller of Wii, better graphics than X360, and a blu-ray high def player out of the box. One system. Thats what Sony will sell it as. Why buy Wii and 360 when we have everything they've got, plus blu ray, and you only need one system.

Adding motion sensors to the remote never looked so smart.

So now the PS3 controller has the same functions as a Wiimote ? oh ignorance is a bliss.

JayDubya

Banned
Haleon said:
If Microsoft can convince Konami to port MGS4 to the 360, it's all over for Sony. I'm sure of it.

EDIT

^^^ Is Master Chief wearing ski goggles?

Yeah, and it's not as if there's no precedent for it (I preferred MGS2 on the X-Box anyway), and it's *certainly* not as if Microsoft (Exclusivity deals? Fuck it, we'll just buy your company!) can't afford Kojima's price, whatever it might be. And it's not as if going X-Box 360 AND PS3 is being a sell-out, it's doing what a 3rd party developer is essentially supposed to do, stay independent of console wars and just be about the games.

I'm absolutely stunned to read this... I'm not sure what's happening here. In other words, I'm not sure if Nintendo fans should be happy or consider this an insult. "Enemy of my enemy is my friend," aka, "Nintendo is no competition for us so let's help them hurt Sony?"

I'm not sure how this will all turn out, but this is crazy-go-nuts. What an E3 this has been.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wii60 is the first time I've ever laughed since the Wii humor began.

And yes I believe!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Moore, for me to do that you've got to get me three games on the 360:

1. MGS4
2. DMC4
3. FFXIII

Gio_CoD

Banned
JayDubya said:
Yeah, and it's not as if there's no precedent for it (I preferred MGS2 on the X-Box anyway), and it's *certainly* not as if Microsoft (Exclusivity deals? Fuck it, we'll just buy your company!) can't afford Kojima's price, whatever it might be.
:lol :lol

jj984jj said:
Moore, for me to do that you've got to get me three games on the 360:

1. MGS4
2. DMC4
3. FFXIII

Moore won't have to do that. Once those games bomb because of the price of the PS3 Capcom, Konami, and SquareEnix will port them to Xbox 360.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
This is the best E3 ever. It's pissed off more people than even last year.

How good E3 is should be defined at how much vitriol gets thrown around. :lol

Sony am win!

I think? Moore expects Nintendo to fold next generation (not this current, new one), and he's making the first initial attempts to butter them up for a future buyout.

tralfazz

I've always been platform agnostic, but Sony has forced me to make a choice @ E3. I'll never say never to a PS3 but at that price point I won't do it. So for the next few years, make mine Wii60.

I'd venture to say that most of the criticism of the price point comes from fellow multi-console owners. No doubt if I was interested in one system and one set of games the $600 wouldn't bother me as much as it is only $100-$200 more.

Moore knows the best strategy to defeat Sony is a two front war: Wii from the East, 360 from the West. He's obviously learned something from all those WWII games.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm probably going to get a PS3 at some point far down the line, say 2 years after launch once there's a price drop and their big games are out (MGS4, FFXIII). But for the foreseeable future, definitely Wii60 :D

Jeezes christ. It's like one giant conspiracy form Nintendo en MS against Sony.
They want to exterminate it.
I'm pretty sure, right now, there's an emergency meeting of Sony behind closed doors. Some people are gonna get fired...

(But i'm also pretty sure all this negative response is gonna give Sony extra strength to wow us all later this year when the PS3 is actually finished.)

(BTW, how do you spoilertag text?)

aoi tsuki

DSN2K said:
I wish I could find that old post I made on the GAF before GAF or something... But back in '03 I said, 'MS and Ninty will DP Sony in the next-gen.' It looks like I'm Nostra-fucking-damus. That, or it just all stems from my belief that it's very unhealthy for a closed-platform and cycle-based industry, like the games one, to be under one rule for too long.

Anyway...

Wii60, bitches!
i made the same prediction shortly after the Xbox launch based on the simple belief that neither Microsoft nor Nintendo could go toe-to-toe with Sony, as i'm sure others did. i just didn't expect it to be so blount, but that's Moore for you.

i'll buy the systems with the games on it that i want to play, generally regardless of cost. For me, that means Wii and probably PS3. i didn't get an Xbox because of the lack of Japanese support, and it looks like i'll be holding out on an Xbox360 for the same reason, at least for a while.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Virgin Wii said:
I think? Moore expects Nintendo to fold next generation (not this current, new one), and he's making the first initial attempts to butter them up for a future buyout.

are you joking? Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Ever. Nintendo will say "fuck you guys, handheld only" before they put their shit on a MS machine. They've even said as much, once they are out of hardware, they are out of the games business.

Also remember the MS/Nintendo 1 box rumours from ages ago?

But really, Wii60 really is looking like the place to be, more and more.

Viewtiful Darkness said:
Moore won't have to do that. Once those games bomb because of the price of the PS3 Capcom, Konami, and SquareEnix will port them to Xbox 360.

I'd imagine that many people are in the same boat as jj984jj. However, if you knock even one of those titles off of the list - either by buying exclusivity or simply buying a multi-console release (GTA IV)- people are going to have a hard time justifying spending $500 for the ability to play two games. There is a window open for MS that is almost staggering if they choose to exploit it, imo.

TheKingsCrown said:
"People are going to buy two (machines.) They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3."

Man, I am still in total shock that Sony could give Microsoft a marketing line this good. That is like a classy insult there.

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
as soon as I heard the PS3 price I made up my mind that I was gonna get a 360 for all the 3rd party shit I can't get on Wii... sucks for sony because I wasn't interested in buying the Xbox this gen at all

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Viewtiful Darkness said:
Let's hope so. DMC4 I can see, but the Japanese will eat FF and MGS up.

catfish said:
are you joking? Nintendo isn't going anywhere. Ever. Nintendo will say "fuck you guys, handheld only" before they put their shit on a MS machine. They've even said as much, once they are out of hardware, they are out of the games business.

Also remember the MS/Nintendo 1 box rumours from ages ago?

But really, Wii60 really is looking like the place to be, more and more.

You should perhaps be directing this quote at Moore.

Wii60 is like the greatest thing that has ever happened. Where are our PhotoShops, GAF? I'm at work, I can't put together sexy Wii60 logos and avatars for like four more hours! :lol

meppi

My respect for Microsoft these last couple of days has really started to grow. The only thing that still bothers me is that they don't get enough Japanese game suppport for me personally to rush out and get a 360 right now or in the near future.

Hopefully this might change...

Top Bottom