• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft dropping hints that it’s thinking about bringing Xbox Quick Resume or something similar to Windows

acm2000

Quick resume is legit one of the best features of current gen, to be able to cold boot from energy saving mode to in game exactly where you left off in less than 20 seconds is incredible (much less from standby mode), and then you can jump in to another game from there in 3 seconds.

Last edited:

acm2000

Best next gen feature. Would love to see it on my PC, too. Wonder how it would actually work in practice?
I mean it's just a complete virtual machine/ram snapshot, but DRM and other such security stuff on pc is the issue and also why Sony won't be able to copy the feature for ps5 most likely

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Best next gen feature. Would love to see it on my PC, too. Wonder how it would actually work in practice?
It technically already works, you can hibernate windows with a game running and come straight back to it. Some games won't work with it, though that's the case in xbox too, just not as often i guess.

Allowing it to switch/suspend multiple apps would be next step, it would require them to get creative to keep size of these states small enough, but i expect compatibility to remain the major issue.

feynoob

Banned
Alt + Tab.

Windows already has Quick Resume.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mr.Phoenix

I mean it's just a complete virtual machine/ram snapshot, but DRM and other such security stuff on pc is the issue and also why Sony won't be able to copy the feature for ps5 most likely
Strange, that you say what it is and then what it isn't all at once.

QR is just a RAM dump. Simple as that. The difference between PS and Xbox, is that PS is just keeping one game in RAM even in rest mode, whereas QR allows you to dump your RAM game state to the SSD for I think 5 games. This is why the XBS consoles have such a large OS reservation from the SSD. The reason Sony isn't doing it is because they didn't want to use up SSD space.

Three

It technically already works, you can hibernate windows with a game running and come straight back to it. Some games won't work with it, though that's the case in xbox too, just not as often i guess.
Quick resume and hibernate are too unreliable because a lot of them rely on some kind of connectivity too. When that's broken your quick resume simply doesn't work. Not to mention other issues like memory leaks where you run out of memory on the xbox and the game crashes due to it.

Quick resume is a little different to hibernate though. Hibernate is a snapshot for the entire system whereas Quick resume is like a "save state" for the game only. Developers would need to make their games savestate friendly. Some were using Hourglass on PC for this to do TAS (tool assisted speedruns) but that was extremely unreliable too.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hopefully not exclusive to games bought on the MS Store because that store is a fucking disaster.

It needs to be open for games from Steam, Epic, GOG, etc to use. Maybe it'll be tied into Game Bar/Mode so that it functions system wide for any recognised game.

Monopoly is a fun thing 🙃
And many people are happy to see Microsoft failing in the console market.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The only thing I dislike about Quick Resume, beyond some BC titles not working all that well with the feature, is how title updates work. I wish you could bypass an update and continue your game so that you don't lose progress that occurs when a title updates/restarts.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Quick resume and hibernate are too unreliable because a lot of them rely on some kind of connectivity too. When that's broken your quick resume simply doesn't work. Not to mention other issues like memory leaks where you run out of memory on the xbox and the game crashes due to it.
Yea and on Windows the driver stack state can cause a lot of problems of its own (including blue-screens when returning out of hibernation), so it's not just game compatibility.

Hibernate is a snapshot for the entire system whereas Quick resume is like a "save state" for the game only.
On consoles it's still an OS snapshot - it's just that they have the so called 'gameOS' fenced off from the rest that's only responsible to run one game at a time. Makes the whole process simpler but indeed - not how Desktop OS works.
MS could embed another layer of virtualization, so every game gets to run in its own OS container that can be snapshot on demand - there's been 3rd party services that did this for Windows, and very effectively, and it's analogous to how SteamOS does Windows games too - but while that would work great for something like this, it would create chaos to modding efforts across the board.
So I suspect same gaming communities that want the feature would also complain about it the loudest.

Developers would need to make theirgames savestate friendly.
Yea that's not happening on PC - the market is too fragmented, for too long to put that genie in the bottle. Not to mention the tens of thousands of legacy titles that will never be updated.
Probably the most likely bet is that MS does something like this for Windows Store games only - they already established the precedent of not being modding friendly there, so they're less restricted and have options to make this work fairly reliably - but only for those titles.

I’m OCD and have to save and quit out of my games when I’m done playing, but I use Quick Resume all the time to just skip to the main menu and avoid splash screens.
KaFH1qM.jpg

StereoVsn

Personally I would love Microsoft to fix their terrible MS Store backend for software and games in particular.

But sure, quick Resume will be a nice and very buggy feature.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Strange, that you say what it is and then what it isn't all at once.

QR is just a RAM dump. Simple as that. The difference between PS and Xbox, is that PS is just keeping one game in RAM even in rest mode, whereas QR allows you to dump your RAM game state to the SSD for I think 5 games. This is why the XBS consoles have such a large OS reservation from the SSD. The reason Sony isn't doing it is because they didn't want to use up SSD space.
That’s not true.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Quick resume is a standard in modern gaming now. You can do that on XBox, Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck etc. Only a matter of time before Windows do so too.

fatmarco

Quick resume is a standard in modern gaming now. You can do that on XBox, Nintendo Switch, Steam Deck etc. Only a matter of time before Windows do so too.
One game being suspended isn't quick resume. By that same token PS5 has quick resume.

Mr.Phoenix

That’s not true.
I don't know how you can say this...

how do you think it works then?

QR is a full memory dump to the SSD or snapshot of the system RAM... however you want to look at it. That's why unlike PS5 1 game only instant resume, QR will still work even if there is a power outage or you totally shut down your console. The game doesn't even know its been moved to the SSD. It's not complicated at all. Why do you think 130GB+ of the SSD is reserved for the OS in the Series consoles????? Even a full Windows install doesn't take up more than 30GB of HDD space.

Last edited:

Reallink

Hope you can turn this shit off completely, it's buggy as fuck even on Xbox, resulting in some games getting stuck in broken states upon resume (e.g. low framerates and failed asset streaming, DF has noted it in several performance reviews). Also have no use for 100+GB of an nvme being reserved for this trash.

Kilau

I've had too many issues with achievements not unlocking after QR or games being buggy that I make a point to remove any game that goes to that state. I loved the feature at launch but now it's just an annoyance. Not interested in it coming to PC if it's going to be like it is now.

Banned
quick resume doesn't even work reliably enough on Xbox for me to ever use it... how are they thinking of bringing it to Windows when their own first party games often don't work with it?

Hope you can turn this shit off completely, it's buggy as fuck even on Xbox, resulting in some games getting stuck in broken states upon resume (e.g. low framerates and failed asset streaming, DF has noted it in several performance reviews). Also have no use for 100+GB of an nvme being reserved for this trash.

indeed... I would love an option to free up space and turn it off

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't think that this will be good thing tho. It means that the games will have to run in virtualised containers and knowing MS, you can kiss the mods and shit like that good bye.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Zero need for this feature and all the problems it would bring games on an SSD start fast enough and if you can't handle that then your ADHD needs to be checked.

Take the 20 seconds it takes to get into a game to do some self reflection.

Topher

Gold Member
I've had too many issues with achievements not unlocking after QR or games being buggy that I make a point to remove any game that goes to that state. I loved the feature at launch but now it's just an annoyance. Not interested in it coming to PC if it's going to be like it is now.

Same here. Love the idea but in practice QR has been far too unreliable.

DaGwaphics

It would be a great feature to have, once you get used to it on console it's hard to think about not using it. I'm bummed that Redfall doesn't support it.

Seems like they would have to give games the ability to spin-up a VM so that they could segregate the memory properly.

SRTtoZ

No I'm good. You can't rely on it half the time because of the online aspects of games is increasing more and more. I always take precautions to save and all that just in case it doesn't work which has happened a lot. I wish it was some breakthrough feature but it's just not b/c its not reliable. It's like playing Street Fighter with a joystick that works most of the time but once in a while an input will be missed.

Banned
No I'm good. You can't rely on it half the time because of the online aspects of games is increasing more and more. I always take precautions to save and all that just in case it doesn't work which has happened a lot. I wish it was some breakthrough feature but it's just not b/c its not reliable. It's like playing Street Fighter with a joystick that works most of the time but once in a while an input will be missed.

the funniest shit, and a sign that game devs release worse and worse work over time, is that backwards compatible games with online features often work flawlessly with Quick Resume, they even often manage to just instantly reconnect.
but current gen games always shit the bed if you try to use it. if it works at all it will not reconnect online and give you a message to tell you that online features are unavailable. and of it doesn't work at all it bugs out completely like Halo Infinite.

Get a better PC if that happens. Works fine on my laptop (rarely ever use it tho).

Yeah, I have to imagine if they could get it running as reliably on console, it would have been a part of Win 11's gaming suite from launch.

Well, if they just made an "Xbox mini-PC" NUC system and locked the feature exclusively to those, they could optimize stability of performance as components would be standardized and OS functionality could be a lot more predictable as a result 😉😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom