• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Install Size Cut in Half by New Update

Godot25

Banned

Stuart360

Nice one. I havent been able to install the game last few months because how much it blew up size wize.
Looks like i have my weekend sorted!.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/microsoft-flight-simulator-install-size-cut-in-half-by-new-update

The biggest change in Microsoft Flight Simulator Update 1.16.2.0 (via Reddit) is a massive reduction in the Microsoft Flight Simulator install size. The game previously took up over 170 GB on your hard drive; now, it uses a little more than 80 gigs of space. That's a reduction of more than 50%!

BCPack?

Imagine thinking that the "biggest change" of an update the patch notes of which were nearly 2,000 words long (and which is one of the best made to the sim to date) is a reduction in installation size.

Totally more important than the radical (and extremely relevant) changes to the flight model, live traffic, live weather, and much more.

Incidentally, this is also inaccurate. The update doesn't really change the install size, but simply the download size when you install the sim from scratch. The install size is completely unaffected.

I guess whoever wrote this, besides being 3 days late on the news, can't even taxi the aircraft to the runway, let alone take off. 🤔

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Nice one. I havent been able to install the game last few months because how much it blew up size wize.
Looks like i have my weekend sorted!.

The installation size isn't changed. Only the download size is. The article is simply inaccurate (and excruciatingly ignorant).

That being said, those gigabytes on your SSD or HDD are completely worth it. Mine is at already over 500 gigs, and it's still worth it 😁

Last edited:
it's a welcome change but my total install size is still significant. 110GB for the base game + world updates. another 33GB for caches. total 143GB.

not complaining really. i still have like 2.87TB free space on my PC 🤷‍♂️

now maybe they can make the game multi threaded so installs don't take forever. this update was 77GB which is nothing for my internet but the ridiculously slow decompression made it way longer than it needed to be. also the game could really benefit from not being so single core dependent.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
it's a welcome change but my total install size is still significant.

Because it didn't change. See above. The article's author doesn't know the difference between download size and install size. 🤔

Download size was the bigger problem since it forces you to download that In-Game, watching what amounts to an excruciatingly long load-screen.

I'm aware. Pointing it out because people in the thread are expecting install size to magically shrink, which it won't.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
It’s because MS finally grasped that Kyrie was right - the earth is flat.

Last edited:
Because it didn't change. See above. The article's author doesn't know the difference between download size and install size. 🤔

I'm aware. Pointing it out because people in the thread are expecting install size to magically shrink, which it won't.
yup you're right. i got confused and didnt take into account cache to my "previous" install

oh well. not really a problem. as long as installs go quicker cause storage ain't really an issue for me.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
yup you're right. i got confused and didnt take into account cache.

oh well. not really a problem. as long as installs go quicker cause storage ain't really an issue for me.

It's only the initial download if you need to install from scratch. Updates are as ponderous and slow as ever. 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom