• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is bringing next-gen games to Xbox one via Xcloud streaming

The console says cloud gaming, but the internet says aDSL.

I ain't cloud gaming on shit anytime soon, lol.

Internet Connection GIF by Monero
season 9 GIF

-----------

Some of you should try GeForce Now. If you own games on Steam/Uplay or Epic Games Store(even the free Control they just gave away) you can try GeForce Now across quite a few number of titles for free for an hour at a time. It's free to try and test and you can kind of gauge how the experience MIGHT be for you. I was surprised how well cloud streaming worked for me on relatively modest internet speeds..

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Similar to how Asobo is planning to release APTR on the switch.
This has serious potential to cannibalise Series X sales though. I mean you are giving parents the choice between upgrading the broadband speed and forking out 500 for little Johnny's new console, I suspect it's an easy choice in most cases. But then if he already had a tablet anyway...

All those parents who keep up on gaming news…

Either way, it boosts game pass numbers. And I assume that’s what they want

Last edited:
Awesome! That’s really cool. Maybe one day we won’t even need powerful consoles anymore. As long as your TV, phone, or plug in stick can run an app then you can just connect to the cloud and stream.

I think game streaming is great but some countries (*cough*usa*cough*) need to catch up with internet.

Banjo64

cumsessed
This thread is so weird. For years, Sony got so much shit for streaming on remotePlay/PSNow and now the posters are all here Wow thank you MS! Sony is playing catch up! When MS is actually copying them?

So now we're back to streaming is good? PS5 games will come in the future too.

They've been doing it for years. You need help.
Judging by your posts on here recently, it’s going to be a very long generation for you. I worry about the toll on your mental health if Xbox buy another publisher. You seem to be deteriorating.

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
I do not like where this is going. I get it, more people will have access to games through this but If this (streaming) becomes the future of gaming as the only option... I'm done with gaming, man.

Yeah I’ve accepted it. Streaming and VR are the future and that’s when I’m just going to give up on gaming. It’s not really a big deal for me though because I have other interests, but the gaming industry is headed down a murky path.

DaGwaphics

This has serious potential to cannibalise Series X sales though. I mean you are giving parents the choice between upgrading the broadband speed and forking out 500 for little Johnny's new console, I suspect it's an easy choice in most cases. But then if he already had a tablet anyway...
I don't think it will hurt conversions to Xbox series, if anything it will just keep X1 users engaged and solidify loyalty.

MS was already streaming to a browser, so how is this any different. 🤷‍♂️

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Playing flight simulator via cloud may be a good option. Let the Azure servers download all that map info instead of me having to. Guess I would have to figure out which takes up more bandwidth.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Similar to how Asobo is planning to release APTR on the switch.

I don't know why MS would care... if cloud streaming is good enough for an XOX owner, and they have access to all of the ways an XSX user would spend money.. why does it matter?

MS does want people on Xbox consoles first and foremost.. whether it's an XOX or XSX or XSS doesn't really matter, as they are all storefronts for more purchases.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They need to bring it to TVs. Just download the app like Netflix, grab a controller and start playing.

But this is a good start.

Tripolygon

Banned
A little refresh on PS Now history and timeline since people seem to think Sony doesn’t have one.
2014 PS Now plans
playstation_now.png

Service officially launched for PS3, PS Vita, PS4 and yes Bravia TV in 2014

In 2015 support for Samsung TV was added.

In 2016 PS now launched on PC

In 2017 end of life products were discontinued, PS3, Vita, TVs and Blu-ray Players.

In 2019, their mid and future plans were discussed. Upgrade to 1080p which they are in the process of doing. Also upgrading the hardware and partnership with Microsoft for Azure.

ps5_streaming_slide.jpg

Why? This isn't a good solution for a gamer. It's "A" solution, but not a great one. At least not yet.

Get their shit together in a general sense. Maybe I should've been more specific, even though it would of halved the dramaticness. Microsoft is coming out swinging, it's apparent they mean business finally after the pathetic showing last gen.

Get your shit together Sony, wouldn't want to get caught off guard.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Judging by your posts on here recently, it’s going to be a very long generation for you. I worry about the toll on your mental health if Xbox buy another publisher. You seem to be deteriorating.
I'm just allergic to BS and I tell it like is. If you don't see the flip-flopping coming from X fans then you must be blind.

Keep in mind that I have a Series X with Game Pass until 2024, I had a One X with GP since 2019 before (still have the one x in another room) and a regular One before.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah I’ve accepted it. Streaming and VR are the future and that’s when I’m just going to give up on gaming. It’s not really a big deal for me though because I have other interests, but the gaming industry is headed down a murky path.

The fact that you, me, and many others on GAF (a forum for people that loves video games) feel this way tells me that Streaming and VR will not be forced on us. It'll be just an option.

Get their shit together in a general sense. Maybe I should've been more specific, even though it would of halved the dramaticness. Microsoft is coming out swinging, it's apparent they mean business finally after the pathetic showing last gen.

Get your shit together Sony, wouldn't want to get caught off guard.

The good thing about being on "top" (with Nintendo) is that you never have to "get your shit together". It's already together. I get what you mean though. You don't want to see Sony getting too relaxed. It's the one big thing about Sony not caring about E3 anymore that makes me the most nervous.

It's like they now realize that they are the Kings and are getting comfortable. They are doing just enough things to make me realize that this isn't the case though.

Agent X

This thread is so weird. For years, Sony got so much shit for streaming on remotePlay/PSNow and now the posters are all here Wow thank you MS! Sony is playing catch up! When MS is actually copying them?

So now we're back to streaming is good? PS5 games will come in the future too.

You're right. Even now, I frequently see criticisms of PS Now streaming. Detractors complain that they don't want to stream PS3 games, or that the service on PC only allows you to stream games and not download them.

I guess it's good that people are finally beginning to understand how streaming services works, and the potential benefits (and also limitations) that they bring.

The fact that you, me, and many others on GAF (a forum for people that loves video games) feel this way tells me that Streaming and VR will not be forced on us. It'll be just an option.

The good thing about being on "top" (with Nintendo) is that you never have to "get your shit together". It's already together. I get what you mean though. You don't want to see Sony getting too relaxed. It's the one big thing about Sony not caring about E3 anymore that makes me the most nervous.

It's like they now realize that they are the Kings and are getting comfortable. They are doing just enough things to make me realize that this isn't the case though.

As someone who will likely never buy anything Xbox I'm all for companies keeping the fire under Sony's ass. We all know how arrogant Sony rolls.

Last edited:

MrSec84

This is all part of the plan. To play it on Xbox One you HAVE to pay $15 a month as it stands. They want those subs, they don't care if you play on the TV or your phone or on an old console. If you want the native experience that's where the Xbox or PC comes in.

You don't HAVE to pay $15 a month to have access to Game Pass Ultimate, you can access it for free, personally I haven't paid a penny of my own real money since something like November or December of 2019, because I do the Game Pass Quest and earn Microsoft Rewards Points for doing some quick and easy gaming or web browser/smartphone related tasks.

Game Pass is basically a loss leader to get you into Microsoft's Xbox Gaming ecosystem, that's painfully apparent to me now, they want the audience to be in their ecosystem, generating clicks on their content online, users paying for things like the odd DLC, Loot Box or stuff like Skins.
A month of Game Pass Ultimate only costs 12,000 Rewards Points, once you're in you get more ways to earn points.
Personally I just cashed in 75,000 points about 10 days ago to pay for £50 in gift cards from the UK retailer Curry's, that was used to pay for my PS Plus Subscription and a bit towards a £20 Wallet Top-Up.

I already have about 13K more points, which will cover me when my Game Pass Ultimate Sub runs out on the 8th of July and there are even more new activities to do through my XBox and Browsers and Punch Cards to keep raking the points in.

If you chose to and a Series X or S became available through a shop that Microsoft lets you buy Gift Cards for you could put the excess points towards buying or maybe even pay in full for a console.
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube from different content creators that shows you how to maximise the points earning, but it's pretty straightforward once you get into it.

Starfield Nextgen only confirmed and last gen consoles will get it via stream and that goes for all 2022 and beyond games.

Sony got Azure as well, but why they not doing this for God of war and GT7?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

I wonder if this still is a thing.
They did buy part of a cloud gaming company:

Their tech runs on either Azure or AWS.. so hard to say if this matters, but it definitely means they won't be using Azure outside of hosting it seems.. vs. using some other tech from MS like underlying xCLoud tech.

Interesting move......not sure if it's brilliant or shooting themselves in the foot.
Brilliant move coz Series console and PC owners will experience true nextgen games and lastgen people can experience it via cloud. Now ofcourse not all will like it and not all will be able to afford high quality internet to stream these games on their xbox one but still its the best solution coz you have to cut the cord man. You cant be making games for that old ass jaguar cpu in 2022 ane beyond.

elliot5

You don't HAVE to pay $15 a month to have access to Game Pass Ultimate, you can access it for free, personally I haven't paid a penny of my own real money since something like November or December of 2019, because I do the Game Pass Quest and earn Microsoft Rewards Points for doing some quick and easy gaming or web browser/smartphone related tasks.

Game Pass is basically a loss leader to get you into Microsoft's Xbox Gaming ecosystem, that's painfully apparent to me now, they want the audience to be in their ecosystem, generating clicks on their content online, users paying for things like the odd DLC, Loot Box or stuff like Skins.
A month of Game Pass Ultimate only costs 12,000 Rewards Points, once you're in you get more ways to earn points.
Personally I just cashed in 75,000 points about 10 days ago to pay for £50 in gift cards from the UK retailer Curry's, that was used to pay for my PS Plus Subscription and a bit towards a £20 Wallet Top-Up.

I already have about 13K more points, which will cover me when my Game Pass Ultimate Sub runs out on the 8th of July and there are even more new activities to do through my XBox and Browsers and Punch Cards to keep raking the points in.

If you chose to and a Series X or S became available through a shop that Microsoft lets you buy Gift Cards for you could put the excess points towards buying or maybe even pay in full for a console.
There are a bunch of videos on YouTube from different content creators that shows you how to maximise the points earning, but it's pretty straightforward once you get into it.
Ok, yes, you can use rewards too. I also do my daily rewards stuff. I just meant you need Game Pass Ultimate in some form, and the typical price will be $15. Whether you use $1 for a trial or use Rewards for "free", you need GPU and most people will end up paying $15.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Brilliant move coz Series console and PC owners will experience true nextgen games and lastgen people can experience it via cloud. Now ofcourse not all will like it and not all will be able to afford high quality internet to stream these games on their xbox one but still its the best solution coz you have to cut the cord man. You cant be making games for that old ass jaguar cpu in 2022 ane beyond.

I like the idea of reaching out to 50 million cloud gamers in one move, I'm just a little bit worried it might cannibalize next gen sales, bit msybe it won't matter to ms if they have 40 million gamepass subscribers.......

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I've looked into doing this several times, but every time I do I end up thinking to myself "this sounds like an actual fucking job. I already have one of those, and it pays me more than $100 a month in store credit" so I end up never digging down the same rabbit hole as some of ya'll.

ANIMAL1975

They designed PlayStation 4 (yes, I said FOUR) with the intent that it could also function as a streaming platform.

Remember Remote Play? (Which, by the way, started on PlayStation THREE.)

Remember SharePlay, where you can allow a second player to join your game remotely, even if that player doesn't own the game?

Remember the SHARE button to capture a video stream of past gameplay?

These were all technologies that were included into the PS4, as a result of their acquisition of Gaikai and OnLive technologies and patents.

The controller issue could be problematic with certain games, but they've dealt with issues like this several years ago when they were streaming PS3 through PS Now to PS Vita and PS TV. They already have this experience under their belt.
This thread is so weird. For years, Sony got so much shit for streaming on remotePlay/PSNow and now the posters are all here Wow thank you MS! Sony is playing catch up!
So now we're back to streaming is good?
Playstation 5 games will come in the future too. They have doing it for years.
A little refresh on PS Now history and timeline since people seem to think Sony doesn’t have one.
2014 PS Now plans
playstation_now.png

Service officially launched for PS3, PS Vita, PS4 and yes Bravia TV in 2014

In 2015 support for Samsung TV was added.

In 2016 PS now launched on PC

In 2017 end of life products were discontinued, PS3, Vita, TVs and Blu-ray Players.

In 2019, their mid and future plans were discussed. Upgrade to 1080p which they are in the process of doing. Also upgrading the hardware and partnership with Microsoft for Azure.

ps5_streaming_slide.jpg
^
^
PSNow is still way behind. Half the games are probably stream only on PS systems, all games are stream only on PC and they only recently upgraded to 1080p streams. Before that it was 720p for probably 5 years - even PS4 games were 720p.

xcloud streaming in this context is totally different because some games (like Flight Sim as a potential example) doesnt even look like will release on Xbox One, so the next best option is stream it so last gen gamers can still play it.
Xcloud streaming is totally different you right about that:
Dude they started a limited beta on PC only last April!
They're only now announcing the future support for consoles...
The service is only fully available for mobile devices, and you say PSNow is the one still way behind lol
It's finally happening!

From tomorrow Microsoft will send invitations to selected GP Ultimate members to access the Xcloud beta for PC and iOS and probably everything with a browser. It will be interesting once out of beta to see what influence of users (especially Apple in my opinion) will bring xcloud.
It could be the first time you can play worthily on an iMac!

Thread 'Xcloud PC iOS beta Limited Beta for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Members' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xclo...-for-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-members.1601537/

CeeJay

Just like Stadia, I don’t think XCloud will make much of an impact.
The big problem with Stadia was that it was a one trick pony. Xcloud is a small part of a really well rounded and joined up business plan. Stadia went for a model that should have had a low barrier to entry and it missed the mark spectacularly. Xcloud is one way amongst many others to get into the Xbox ecosystem. For a growing number of games on there you can use touch controls on mobile so you don't even need a controller. So if you have a compatible phone you can give it a try for just $1. Then there are multiple price points to suit every pocket on a range of devices and services right up to a top of the line PC. This is no comparison to Stadia.

elliot5

^
^

Xcloud streaming is totally different you right about that:
Dude they started a limited beta on PC only last April!
They're only now announcing the future support for consoles...
The service is only fully available for mobile devices, and you say PSNow is the one still way behind lol

Thread 'Xcloud PC iOS beta Limited Beta for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Members' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xclo...-for-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-members.1601537/
It's available to most GPU subs at this point via invite I think tbh. It'll be out of beta on iOS/browser by the end of the month or in July probably, and XSX upgrade is incoming in mere weeks. We'll def see a more robust experience coming to console and PC soon enough.

DaGwaphics

PSNow is a solid service, no need to knock that. Xcloud is doing something completely different here though, almost the complete reverse of PSNow. PSNow was built to bring old games to new consoles, kinda a cloud based backwards compatibility. This would be bringing new games to old hardware, forward compatibility, that's novel.

i guess gaming is headed the same way music and movies 🤷‍♂️

Music: Tape-->CD-->MP3-->Downloads-->Music Streaming
Movies: VHS-->DVD-->Blu-Ray-->Ultra-Blu-Ray-->Digital Downloads & HD1080p & UHD 4k Streaming

Games: Cartridges-->CD's-->GD's (Dreamcast)-->DVDS-->Blu-Ray-->Ultra-Blu-Ray-->Downloads-->Game Streaming

Last edited:
Question for you tech heads.

When it comes to streaming/cloud, lets say the server wants to push down ultra settings and you got an archaic system like Xbox One.

What key factors and specs determine how good of a version can Xbox One (or the receiving hardware) actually handle?
It doesn't push down anything, you're just viewing a stream. Power of the local box doesn't matter.

I think you would need good connections with strong bandwidth no?!

Wifi6 & Wifi6E: 10 Gbps
5G: 10Gbps

Wifi7: 30-40 Gbps (almost equivalent to USB 4.0)

6G: 1 TB/sec (WTF?!!)

ZywyPL

Banned
I think you would need good connections with strong bandwidth no?!

Wifi6 & Wifi6E: 10 Gbps
5G: 10Gbps

Wifi7: 30-40 Gbps (almost equivalent to USB 4.0)
6G: 1 TB/sec (WTF?!!)

That's all peak theoretical bandwidth, in real life scenario we're getting only a tiny tiny fraction of those numbers, if the tech is there to begin with, because as of today 3G is still the most popular/available tech, as soon as you move on the edge of a city 4/5G disappear, let alone during travel, which is when you could use xCloud the most. Aa home over fiber optics it shouldn't be an issue to use xCloud on XB1 or a laptop, but as far as wireless connection goes, we still have a long way to go.

i guess gaming is headed the same way music and movies 🤷‍♂️

Music: Tape-->CD-->MP3-->Downloads-->Music Streaming
Movies: VHS-->DVD-->Blu-Ray-->Ultra-Blu-Ray-->Digital Downloads & HD1080p & UHD 4k Streaming

Games: Cartridges-->CD's-->GD's (Dreamcast)-->DVDS-->Blu-Ray-->Ultra-Blu-Ray-->Downloads-->Game Streaming

True, although the difference is that music and movies are passive entertainment, you only get the output (music/video), whereas video games also requite your input to function, which makes it all so much complicated and challenging.

Last edited:
And to say I was going to trade in my One X for a Series S. This is great news. I have 250mbps down internet so streaming in 1080p will not be a problem at all.

Great back up for me as well if I struggle to run Stalker 2 at an acceptable frame rate on PC.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This, is where is see the future of games going.

Gone with the outdated model of buying games physically and digitally. In with a modern, more convenient method of streaming and subscription only. Hopefully MS will make some of their games Gamepass and streaming exclusive to really get people on board.

Exciting times ahead.

Three

I'm just allergic to BS and I tell it like is. If you don't see the flip-flopping coming from X fans then you must be blind.

Keep in mind that I have a Series X with Game Pass until 2024, I had a One X with GP since 2019 before (still have the one x in another room) and a regular One before.
Next up is VR. For years you would hear VR is crap and a fad. Soon it will be great again. Just like it was when there was a glimmer of hope for Hololens on xbox.

Mattyp

Gold Member

So now we're back to streaming is good? PS5 games will come in the future too..

Are you actually paying attention to the thread?

Sony got shit for streaming to devices that where capable of downloading the games, a X one is not capable of playing next gen games. This makes it capable in a way, be it streaming to never be left behind.

If the PS4 allowed streaming of PS5 games tomorrow it would be the equivalent and no one would be shitting on Sony for that. We all know they’ll never do that but as it takes away hardware sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom