• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is bringing next-gen games to Xbox one via Xcloud streaming

ksdixon

This isn't here yet. The Medium which I own on GP on my XBSX, didn't allow me to dl it on XB1 or tell me anything about Xbox Cloud streaming it instead.

Greggy

Similar to how Asobo is planning to release APTR on the switch.
This has serious potential to cannibalise Series X sales though. I mean you are giving parents the choice between upgrading the broadband speed and forking out 500 for little Johnny's new console, I suspect it's an easy choice in most cases. But then if he already had a tablet anyway...

CRAIG667

This has serious potential to cannibalise Series X sales though. I mean you are giving parents the choice between upgrading the broadband speed and forking out 500 for little Johnny's new console, I suspect it's an easy choice in most cases. But then if he already had a tablet anyway...
They lose money on console sales, their long term goal is gamepass... this is win win for MS

FrankCaron

If they're not already paying for broadband, said increase will add up to $500 total in additional annual expense likely just in year one? Vs. the one time console cost. Bad take.

Last edited:

elliot5

This is all part of the plan. To play it on Xbox One you have to pay $15 a month as it stands. They want those subs, they don't care if you play on the TV or your phone or on an old console. If you want the native experience that's where the Xbox or PC comes in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Streaming is dope now.

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

They already offer this for PS4 games with remote play and psnow. I imagine they could do it as well with Ps5 games and wouldn't be too surprised they are already working on it.

Let's see if they do anything similar, I'm just glad Microsoft is actually putting up a decent fight now compared to last gen. Things are getting spicy.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep texted my friend about that and he was disapointed at first that it might not be coming then back to excited again at the possibility of still being able to play it.Now he's back at waiting while rubbing a knife on his beard .....(He doesn't really do that but I like the image of him doing that)

With all the investment MS is putting into cloud streaming there's literally no reason not to do this. They want to put a native Game Pass app in as many smart TV's they possibly can, and frankly I think they'd be foolish not to release a $50 streaming box to plug into anything.

It's the reason I roll my eyes at console warring. The Xbox Series is not MS's platform, Game Pass Ultimate is.

Now THIS is how you aughta do cross-gen IMHO. It might've been too soon for 2020 or even this year to go 100% this way, but it's a great trade-off for those on older systems who, for one reason or another, are unable or just unwilling to upgrade to newer tech.

With this approach, I also would like to think it means no Series S equivalent for their 10th-gen system output, i.e no need to spin a smaller APU. They can still have a low-powered option but do what Nvidia's doing with the RTX 30 series: same chip, just disable more shit. And I say all this as a guy who's warmed up to Series S over time (but still gunning for a much-preferred Series X).

EDIT: Oh shit, just saw this is how they're doing Flight Simulator on Xbox One

giphy.gif

Wonder if they're handing Forza Horizon 5 the same way on that system, would definitely free the team up from needing to do a native version. "Power of the cloud" startin' to flex :pie_smirking:

Little Johnnies usually don't get $500 consoles in their first year or so unless their parents are loaded enough to throw that at a small kid as a present.

I don't think systems like Series X or even PS5, at this stage in their lifecycles, are intended for Little Johnny. Plus streaming, no matter how much it improves in the short term, can never replace having powerful local hardware to play native, for the hardcore/core gamer (for most types of games, anyway).

So a system like Series X is still serving a purpose there.

Last edited:

Greggy

If they're not already paying for broadband, said increase will add up to $500 total in additional annual expense likely just in year one? Vs. the one time console cost. Bad take.
Either broadband is very expensive where you live or I don't get what you're saying. Bad sentence.

I do not like where this is going. I get it, more people will have access to games through this but If this (streaming) becomes the future of gaming as the only option... I'm done with gaming, man.
Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Native gaming is gonna be here for another 10 years or so, and by the time it's gone everyone is gonna have a 6G chip up their anus or whatever which means perfect connection top speeds super fluid practically zero latency. The future looks bright.

Greggy

This is such a good move. Stuck with a shitty Xbox One S? Mum and dad won’t buy you a new console? No problem, you’ll be able to stream games like Fable, Perfect Dark and Starfield. Crazy.
You would have on your phone or tablet anyway. So they are just staying consistent with their vision and and I personally find it hard to find a flaw with their reasoning.

Fredrik

Just brilliant. I’m guessing it’s just Gamepass games for now but this is still essentially a boost to the XSX userbase if they can get the streaming tech working well.

You also have the people who will give consoles to friends and relatives when they upgrade, like I did when I sent my uncle my X1X a few months ago. He was over the moon when I told him what Game Pass offers, happy that $15 a month got his kids this much stuff (that he now doesn't have to buy).

What I don't understand is why doesn't Sony put out their PS5 exclusives out for PS Now subscribers at full price digitally for streaming to PS4? That way Sony still gets their sales, gamers who can't get ahold of a PS5 still gets to be a part of the zeitgeist, and they give gamers a compelling reason to sub to PS Now.

Of course this only works without becoming a PR disaster if you already own the game digitally once you do get a PS5. Do this untill consoles are readily available, and you walk away smelling of roses

Chukhopops

That’s brillant honestly. If I’m going to be streaming I would much rather use an Xbox console with a proper controller and screen than a phone or a laptop PC.

If you’re playing on an XBO, is it better to stream FH5 and have the SX version with more lag or play the native version? I don’t know the answer.

Chukhopops

What I don't understand is why doesn't Sony put out their PS5 exclusives out for PS Now subscribers at full price digitally for streaming to PS4? That way Sony still gets their sales, gamers who can't get ahold of a PS5 still gets to be a part of the zeitgeist, and they give gamers a compelling reason to sub to PS Now.

Of course this only works without becoming a PR disaster if you already own the game digitally once you do get a PS5. Do this untill consoles are readily available, and you walk away smelling of roses
Right now it seems PSNow isn’t even able to stream PS5 games entirely so it might be a technical limitation with their servers.

Top Bottom