• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is bringing next-gen games to Xbox one via Xcloud streaming

Godot25

Banned
Why? This isn't a good solution for a gamer. It's "A" solution, but not a great one. At least not yet.
I can tell you. It is an awesome solution for gamer.
Not as primary means for gaming, but as a supplementary.

I found it extremely satisfying to just switch to my phone or low powered laptop (since xCloud is on PC) when my wife wants to watch Netflix or something and continue playing there.
I don't want to switch to cloud gaming permanently because playing on my TV with local console is still better (and always will be), but it's great having more choices.

elliot5

If I can stream off my 50 dollar tablet why not do it off my Xbox 360? Serious question.
Probably because of modern internet applications / video codec shit idk. I guess in theory it could work, but why would anyone use the X360 to stream it rather than from a TV app in current year

True, although the difference is that music and movies are passive entertainment, you only get the output (music/video), whereas video games also requite your input to function, which makes it all so much complicated and challenging.

I think there is some input and that's: pause/stop/play/forward/backward/skip :messenger_squinting_tongue:

With Xcloud or game streaming, i am wondering how they can achieve 4k-1440p-2K/60fps/Raytracing/HDR/Freesync-Gsync-VRR: would they use the horse power of the servers instead of local hardware?

For example, I want to play Forza Horizon 5 on my Iphone 6S using Xcloud. My iphone 6S does not support HDR, Freesync, Raytracing, 4k, 1440p. So the best thing i might be able to see is 2k at 60fps. Would the servers do the processing power for Raytracing and would I be able to see the raytracing effects on my iphone 6s without compromising frame rates? My iphone 6s screen does not support HDR, VRR so i would not be able to see the effects of that anyways.

:unsure:

elliot5

I think there is some input and that's: pause/stop/play/forward/backward/skip :messenger_squinting_tongue:

With Xcloud or game streaming, i am wondering how they can achieve 4k-1440p-2K/60fps/Raytracing/HDR/Freesync-Gsync-VRR: would they use the horse power of the servers instead of local hardware?

For example, I want to play Forza Horizon 5 on my Iphone 6S using Xcloud. My iphone 6S does not support HDR, Freesync, Raytracing, 4k, 1440p. So the best thing i might be able to see is 2k at 60fps. Would the servers do the processing power for Raytracing and would I be able to see the raytracing effects on my iphone 6s without compromising frame rates? My iphone 6s screen does not support HDR, VRR so i would not be able to see the effects of that anyways.

:unsure:
The servers run console hardware in server blade formats. So, the XSX blade upgrades will just run games as they do on XSX. I would guess the system would know what client you're streaming from just like any other streaming service (Disney+, Netflix, etc) and turn HDR on or off based on that. It will run 4K, Raytracing, etc, just like any game would if it supports it.

Whether the stream quality is 4K is another thing, but the game itself will run at 4K on XSX theoretically.

DaGwaphics

If I can stream off my 50 dollar tablet why not do it off my Xbox 360? Serious question.

Didn't the 360 have 512MB of memory? That might be a problem, I don't know. If you try and use a really old tablet with like 1GB of RAM, you can barely stream YT now. But, on the flipside, a Fire stick works just fine on 1GB of memory, I guess it all depends on how well optimized everything is. Some of the cheaper Roku devices might only have 512MB as well. That would be something if they could resurect the old 360. LOL

Last edited:

Dolomite

Didn't the 360 have 512MB of memory? That might be a problem, I don't know. If you try and use a really old tablet with like 1GB of RAM, you can barely stream YT now. But, on the flipside, a Fire stick works just fine on 1GB of memory, I guess it all depends on how well optimized everything is. Some of the cheaper Roku devices might only have 512MB as well. That would be something if they could resurect the old 360. LOL
Different types of ram too. 50gbs of gen7 ram is nothing today. Same with gpu/CPUs. Xbox one X's gpu has more flops than the s, but the s is nearly 2xs as powerful.

I think this is a great way to have access to games that you could not before, I am sure they will create algorithms to fine tune/cater to your tastes/likes

Examples:
Music: I like jazz music, so youtube, spotify, pandora give prompts on jazz music i havent heard of
Movies: I like Star Trek, so netflix, youtube gives me prompts on other sci-fi movies
Games: I like fighting games, so after me playing soul calibur, it recommends Tekken, Street Fighter, Guilty Gear etc.

Rather than physical copies collecting dust. I wonder what the new source of revenue would be for games besides subscription, considering that games cost as much as movies to produce?!

Last edited:

Aion002

That's really cool! It's also interesting if they release a series x pro later and the sx/ss users could just use xcloud or something to play the games with the extra power or something.

I have been using the xbox game streaming app on my tablet and I am really surprised on how well it works. It's so nice that sometimes I rather just play on the tablet with the controller than turn on the console... I can even win online matches on Tekken 6, my internet is only 100 Mbps and still works quite well.

K' Dash

So their goal is to become a streaming service?

their goal is to get you to sub, they offer a variety of options for it, from consoles, to mobile apps, browser, TV and stick, you choose whatever you want. Once you lower the entry barrier enough, people will sub and get to play the games whenever, wherever.

however people react like this:

MS: we're giving you options to play the games on the most powerful console or streaming from a variety of devices and apps.
below 60 IQ person: why are you becoming a streaming platform, I don't want to stream games
MS: you can play on Xbox Series X/S
below 60 IQ person: why streaming only?

Last edited:

Unknown?

their goal is to get you to sub, they offer a variety of options for it, from consoles, to mobile apps, browser, TV and stick, you choose whatever you want. Once you lower the entry barrier enough, people will sub and get to play the games whenever, wherever.
Which is a streaming service...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
4 pages and not person has said it....oh well I'll do the honors.

Cool, now they just need to bring Next-Gen games to XSX

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Which is a streaming service...

You still have that option to go PC or Console, the streaming aspect is very optional. The steaming might even act as a bit of bait for the consoles, you test the waters a bit with streaming and maybe you pickup a console to get that native performance.

oldergamer

Smart move by MS. The original Xbox one is basically overkill for a streaming box. I can see a limited amount of people using this, but even still it opens up the door to more places users could access game pass games/subs

Shoot they might as well announce Xbox 360 will also get gamepass streamed games. Go for the jugular lol

sinnergy

do you have some mental disability? you can play from Xbox Series X/S.

They're giving a lot of options for people who don't want to invest on a console or don't care enough to buy one but would like to play.
Doesn’t matter .. sone people think streaming is shit … but it’s the future , just like cds , mp3, Spotify and Netflix

DaGwaphics

Smart move by MS. The original Xbox one is basically overkill for a streaming box. I can see a limited amount of people using this, but even still it opens up the door to more places users could access game pass games/subs

I can see X1 users using it for the software that is unavailable to them natively, The Medium, FS, etc.

Banned
No joke, my OG Xbox One is the only thing as silent and resilient as my Series X.

it's like 70% air + a gigantic fan, meaning the cooling is ridiculous, so no wonder. but I bet after more than 10 years you will need to at some point replace the thermal paste on the APU or it will run really hot.

Unknown?

You still have that option to go PC or Console, the streaming aspect is very optional. The steaming might even act as a bit of bait for the consoles, you test the waters a bit with streaming and maybe you pickup a console to get that native performance.
Looks to me like console and PC is the option going forward long-term.

I’m travelling a fair bit for work right now, spent some time in hotels using XCloud - absolutely killer. Worked great and really passed the the time nicely. Even on hotel wifi it was 99% super smooth, with just the occasional stutter or audio drop out - absolutely playable and a great experience.

I'm actually pretty happy about this. I've been using my Xbox One X/PS4 Pro and only planned on getting the new consoles if there was a midgen refresh that resulted in dropping prices.
Now I can wait until the "Next gen" is coming out and buy a PS5/Series X on the cheap.
The only games I was really exited for was Outer Worlds 2/Avowed & Starfield so if I can stream those with what I have now I'm set.

AGRacing

So their goal is to become a streaming service?
It's an option. Always applaud options. They've made excellent hardware for you and I.... but if someone wants to stream the game to their older Xbox , they can. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it... and Microsoft is happy they get to sell a game pass subscription to an older console user.

Connxtion

Handy for me, can use the spare OneS digital upstairs to play the XBSX games from downstairs. Well that would only work if they allow local play from other consoles.

As I do have XBSX games that aren’t on gamepass/xCloud.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Will be interesting to see if nintendo switch will get gamepass support in the future. Would be a nice win for them.

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

noooice

DaGwaphics

Looks to me like console and PC is the option going forward long-term.

It should still be the dominant way forward for most. Them releasing "cloud native" apps doesn't change that yet. We don't even know what they are doing exactly, this could be games with native touchscreen UIs or local games bolstered by the cloud (FS), local games with second screen capabilities, or cloud only apps.

I'll continue to cling to my local experience for as long as possible. :messenger_beaming:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Next gen graphics... in blurry streaming format
dfhcu9k.jpg
Dude...

A fat One with a sub 1080 stream will be ok for a 19 inch TV, a XBone owner doesn't expect miracles.

And honestly, this method is pure DOPE for Xbox One X owners since they can have a sub 4K stream and next gen graphics, SSD with no downloads. (they can safely keep their One X and later buy Series XX in 3 years for the 8K or something)

Last edited:
Top Bottom