• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

hiphopcr

If the guy in the original quote is looking for new and different experiences, variety in the game library and stories and characters with depth and meaning, for me, the PS4 is the obvious choice. It’d be wonderful if Xbox started to deliver those experiences for next gen too; the more, the merrier.
You could just as easily say it'd be wonderful if PS4 started to deliver multiplayer experiences next gen too.

The difference between Playstation and Xbox gamers is the following morning at work Playstation gamers say, "where are you in God of War/Persona 5? That was amazing!" and Xbox gamers say, "that was fun playing PubG/SoT last night, what are we playing tonight?"

And the Nintendo guys aren't talking, they're in the lounge playing their Switches :p

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
You could just as easily say it'd be wonderful if PS4 started to deliver multiplayer experiences next gen too.

The difference between Playstation and Xbox gamers is the following morning at work Playstation gamers say, "where are you in God of War/Persona 5? That was amazing!" and Xbox gamers say, "that was fun playing PubG/SoT last night, what are we playing tonight?"

And the Nintendo guys aren't talking, they're in the lounge playing their Switches :p
I just don't understand the bolded dichotomy. This feels false to me.

Most of the folks on my PS4 friends list play online-multiplayer. Most of my co-workers play online-multiplayer. And most of my co-workers own PS4, not X1. The big stuff like Destiny, Fortnight, Monster Hunter, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, CoD, SW: Battlefront, Battlefield, Warframe, Minecraft, Elder Scrolls Online, etc still seems to get played on the PS4. If youre into fighting games then the PS4 is what most people play, too: most recenttly, a lot of co-workers got into DBFZ. Guess which system they all have it for?

Isn't an argument in favor for X1X that "all the good games are multiplatform anyway, and X1X is the best place to play multiplatform games"? Certainly there are a handful of multiplayer games on X1 that aren't available for PS4, but to paint this very split-down-the-middle narrative of PS4 being "the single-player console" and X1 being "the multiplayer console" is simply not something I've seen take place in the real world, or in any online community that I'm aware of. PS4 versions of multiplats usually outsell the X1 version by a substantial amount, too, so it would figure that multiplayer is also taking place on PS4 more.

Do you perhaps have more evidence -- sales, articles, etc -- to back up what you're saying? Otherwise, this idea just doesn't jive with reality.

bitbydeath

Pointless lists if you arent gonna count Xbox/WindowsStore games as xbox exclusive.... seeing as the xbox list will never grow again as MS said they will release everything on both.

I would say they are xbox exclusive since they are not on PS or Steam

It also excludes PS4 games that were also on either PS3 / Vita / PC too which balances it out. Games like Resogun, LBP3, Street Fighter V etc

Last edited:

hiphopcr

I just don't understand the bolded dichotomy. This feels false to me.

Most of the folks on my PS4 friends list play online-multiplayer. Most of my co-workers play online-multiplayer. And most of my co-workers own PS4, not X1.

Do you perhaps have more evidence -- sales, articles, etc -- to back up what you're saying? Otherwise, this idea just doesn't jive with reality.
Anecdotally where I work, where console ownership is pretty much 50/50, but I'm not even sure the Playstation guys know each others gamertags, where the Xbox guys are playing together routinely.

And the fact that pretty much every big Xbox exclusive is multiplayer.

By the way this isn't new, it was the same way last gen too. A lot of Playstation guys I know have never paid for the online service where as owning an Xbox without Live is unfathomable.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Anecdotally where I work, where console ownership is pretty much 50/50, but I'm not even sure the Playstation guys know each others gamertags, where the Xbox guys are playing together routinely.

And the fact that pretty much every big Xbox exclusive is multiplayer.

By the way this isn't new, it was the same way last gen too. A lot of Playstation guys I know have never paid for the online service where as owning an Xbox without Live is unfathomable.
Multiplayer was definitely a bigger emphasis last gen on 360, true, which is why it surprises me when PS4 owners play it just as much this gen. Myself, I'm mostly a solo player so it's outside my realm of experience, but even from my perspective I do not see the huge split being described.

If X1's biggest games are multiplayer, it makes sense that more X1 owners would be playing multiplayer. But the thing is, PS4 has both. You don't have to choose between one or the other, which is the narrative that seems to be painted throughout this thread.

hiphopcr

If X1's biggest games are multiplayer, it makes sense that more X1 owners would be playing multiplayer. But the thing is, PS4 has both. You don't have to choose between one or the other, which is the narrative that seems to be painted throughout this thread.
Equally so Xbox has both then as well.

I'm just saying when Sony drops it's big games people bunker up at home to play them alone and when Microsoft does it brings people together. Each could use more of the other.

Am I the only one here that believes Microsoft is going to announce and release a good number of exclusives this year and next? I mean they can't honestly have such a low count on exclusives for the duration of this console lifecycle now can they???

jadedm17

Yup.

Sent my Xbox FL to N.Y. for my nephew to play when January I realized I hadn't played it in months and besides Sea of Thieves had no interest in anything Xbox related in all 2018.

It's a sharp contrast to PS4 and Switch of which I've got God of War last week and will pick up Donkey Kong tomorrow.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Am I the only one here that believes Microsoft is going to announce and release a good number of exclusives this year and next? I mean they can't honestly have such a low count on exclusives for the duration of this console lifecycle now can they???

As a person who owns all platforms, the One is my main. Even though, I don’t really expect to come up with as many exclusives as Sony. Nor do I care, cus I enjoy the One exclusives and really has no interest in Sony exclusives, but that’s just a subjective opinion

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

This year they have 3 coming for sure, if they are good if yet to be seen, but i don't expect Microsoft to announce a "ton" of exclusives this year or ever.

Crackdown, Ori 2 and Forza are all likely coming in q3-q4 this year which would give them 5 exclusives this year. I'm happy with this number.

4-5 exclusives a year is a good amount I think for most gamers.

Last edited:

hiphopcr

Am I the only one here that believes Microsoft is going to announce and release a good number of exclusives this year and next?
Phil has openly said that shutting down Fable and Scalebound wasn't just a shutdown but a realignment, and that he also doesn't like to announce games too far in advance (I see you Death Stranding). Xbox One feels like a bridge generation, not just in studios producing games but Game Pass and backwards compatibility to an irresistible future.

This year they have 3 coming for sure, if they are good if yet to be seen, but i don't expect Microsoft to announce a "ton" of exclusives this year or ever.

Crackdown, Ori 2 and Forza are all likely coming in q3-q4 this year which would give them 5 exclusives this year. I'm happy with this number.

I can definitely live with that.

4-5 exclusives a year is a good amount I think for most gamers.
Phil has openly said that shutting down Fable and Scalebound wasn't just a shutdown but a realignment, and that he also doesn't like to announce games too far in advance (I see you Death Stranding). Xbox One feels like a bridge generation, not just in studios producing games but Game Pass and backwards compatibility to an irresistible future.

That suprisingly has me pretty optimistic for the future.

bitbydeath

We know what first parties are working on and 3rd parties can’t afford to go fully exclusive with MS.

MS will continue building the bridge between PC and Xbox. Halo MCC is rumoured to be fixed up and going to Windows and I wouldn’t be surprised if MS announces Game Pass going to Windows.

A price increase is also expected so will be interesting if it inflates to include Gold, not games with Gold but rather just the online portion.

Games with gold can then be shutdown as Game Pass replaces it and to get Xbox online you will need to purchase game pass aligning PC and Xbox in the process.

Last edited:
We know what first parties are working on and 3rd parties can’t afford to go fully exclusive with MS.

MS will continue building the bridge between PC and Xbox. Halo MCC is rumoured to be fixed up and going to Windows and I wouldn’t be surprised if MS announces Game Pass going to Windows.

A price increase is also expected so will be interesting if it inflates to include Gold, not games with Gold but rather just the online portion.

Games with gold can then be shutdown as Game Pass replaces it.

I've been expecting something like this to be announced at E3 ** Crosses Fingers**

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Games with gold can then be shutdown as Game Pass replaces it and to get Xbox online you will need to purchase game pass aligning PC and Xbox in the process.

A price increase is expected?

HMC

Do exclusives matter, at all, to multi-system owners? I game on the One X because it's just...better, in every way. When a really good PS exclusive comes out every 6 months or so, I dust it off. Whoever keeps creating the same thread over and over again should get an X, and a cheap OG 4. Problem solved.

creating studios take and so does developing games. It would be great if Microsoft didn't close down their studios, but that just not possible as more publishers(other nintendo) do it. What hurts is they have so few developers than say sony even though they have close down studios too. The only difference is Sony has a lot of studios while microsoft has only a few. They could buy studios or fully fund exclusives from other publishers (like Bayonetta or perhaps dead rising 3) until can create in-house studious. But I've seen people not wanting either the two options to happen. Just look at one of the users on resetera asking people if microsoft should fund a ninja gaiden 4. Like more than half said "no" and rather not have it happened if they can't play it on the system. At least with a ninja gaiden 4 being microsoft funded, it would be on two systems.

Do exclusives matter, at all, to multi-system owners? I game on the One X because it's just...better, in every way. When a really good PS exclusive comes out every 6 months or so, I dust it off. Whoever keeps creating the same thread over and over again should get an X, and a cheap OG 4. Problem solved.

I was a multi system owner and quickly sold my xbox one, that system imo is not worth owning while i also have a gaming PC. Exclusives help give reason to keep a console if i can't play certain games anywhere else. I don't ever expect to see uncharted, god of war, ratchet clank, etc on PC. Microsoft really needs to step it up. Also might want to add an "imo" to the bolded.

creating studios take and so does developing games. It would be great if Microsoft didn't close down their studios, but that just not possible as more publishers(other nintendo) do it. What hurts is they have so few developers than say sony even though they have close down studios too. The only difference is Sony has a lot of studios while microsoft has only a few. They could buy studios or fully fund exclusives from other publishers (like Bayonetta or perhaps dead rising 3) until can create in-house studious. But I've seen people not wanting either the two options to happen. Just look at one of the users on resetera asking people if microsoft should fund a ninja gaiden 4. Like more than half said "no" and rather not have it happened if they can't play it on the system. At least with a ninja gaiden 4 being microsoft funded, it would be on two systems.

They don't need to have as many studios as Sony though. Nintendo themselves have like 6 studios but their studios work on multiple projects at once. Nintendo EPD made like 6 games for the Switch.

If the rumor of Gallagher getting his own studio is true, than that would give Microsoft 6 studios (although I doubt Mojang will do anything aside Minecraft) But if they only have 6-7 studios, it's probably better for them to bolster them up and have them work on multiple projects

Insomniac is a good example of a developer that has multiple studios, from what I've heard from Jez Corden and a few other guys, Rare has doubled their head count, 343 is at around 500 and Playground games (not a Microsoft studio but work on Microsoft games) doubled their head count and hired a ton of people including Sean Eyestone (Metal Gear Solid) Hellblade, GTA devs to work on the new Fable.

Fitzchiv

Right now I own an og PS4, a Switch and a decent pc. I've had an original One but found it inferior and sold it, but am now seriously looking at the X as my main console because it offers the best multiplatform experience, and Sony & Nintendo exclusives just don't do it for me really.

The only thing that's changed in recent years is I have a load of disposable cash compared to my youth, when I had to choose between SNES and Megadrive, N64 and PlayStation, 360 and PS3. We've always had this tension of the system we don't own having games we think look cool, and we've always been fine living with it. My mistake is allowing myself to get dragged into owning several consoles and only playing the big name games on each, rather than experience what the library has to offer. It's like people no longer listening to full albums and instead skipping through singles on their iPod.

I genuinely think in offering some good exclusives, the best multiplatform experience and a great backward compatibility service MS with the XBX are offering the best all-round option for those of us sick of this "exclusive envy" nonsense.

Top Bottom