• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Q4: 1.1M XBO/360 Shipped

ethomaz

Banned
The problem with the media stuff isn't the media stuff, it's how they tried to jab it down everyone's throats in the initial unveil.

They should have focused on games first. The market spoke like it did because they didn't know they wanted the media stuff.

I didn't want it at the time, but now that I have it, I can't imagine going without it.

I believe MS should have sold the X1 on games. And games. And a launch Halo so that everyone bought the box right at launch and then people would realize it is this media Mecca you can't do without.

Not saying that's how it would have played out, but it was a far better strategy than where they came from.

How Matrrick got that high in a company with marketing ideas he had, I don't know. Misstep doesn't begin to describe it. It's like he knew stuff his audience would like if they tried, he just lacked the vision to sell people on it.
I don't want the media stuff yet and I guess I will never want.

A game machine having optional media stuffs is fine and I guess some user will make use of them but focus in these features is really a bad thing... games needs to be first in a videogame.

Guys.

The 3 million from MS was not a lie but an approximation... the real number could be ~2.9m but that don't matter because Xbone had a great launch.

The post launch is bad... ~1.5m WW in the first 6 months of 2014 is really bad.

Right that is pretty much my stance on the matter. I do think 2014 XB1 sales have more or less fallen of a cliff. A shorter cliff than the Wii U for sure but well still a cliff

Nephtes

Yeah. I was excited from the reveal because I still love the idea of an all-in-one box, but I think revealing with all the TV features first left a sour taste in the mouth of core gamers. This essentially alienated the early adopters from the get go. I honestly think all these features would've helped with the more casual audience a few years into its life cycle. All jokes aside, they're messaging was pretty bad. They should have followed Sony's route: court the gamers first before sliding in all the things they're going to be leveraging.

Bingo. Go after your base, first AND THEN pivot to the more casual market.

"We have games, games, and core games! (oh and by the way, you can control your TV like you're on Star Trek and your living room is the Enterprise. You're welcome.)"

Gundy2010

The 3rd party exclusive bullshit and the lack of 1st party support is the downfall of XBOX brand. Many ppl already saw that by the end of last gen.

Guys.

The 3 million from MS was not a lie but an approximation... the real number could be ~2.9m but that don't matter because Xbone had a great launch.

The post launch is bad... ~1.5m WW in the first 6 months of 2014 is really bad.
Right, that was kinda my real point. Even MS never claimed they counted the receipts. Personally, I think it was fairly generous, and while it may seem petty, an error of "just a few hundred K" or whatever can become more troublesome when you then multiply that error out for sales projections. Sure, 3M may be "close enough," but it then led to estimates of as many as 1.9M non-US sales, which seemed like a lot.

Then questioning the 1.9M led to questions about the 3.0M, so yeah, sorry about that, everybody. I was more interested in what they've actually sold to date, rather than what they sold last year or how (dis)honest they may have been about it.

Anyway. Sorry, gang.

Top Bottom