• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft results (Pretty good quarter)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
1.8m.jpg

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Doc Evils said:
Microsoft Corporation
Balance Sheets
(In millions)

:lol

Look at how many zeros are after 10.

If you're going to try to correct someone, please make sure you know more about the subject matter than they do.

MrNyarlathotep said:
Code:
Am I reading that wrong, or is that $10 million worth of moneyhats?

EDIT: errrr.... I am reading that wrong, thats 10 THOUSAND million worth.

:O[/QUOTE]
Goodwill usually has to do with an acquistion, so I doubt that is moneyhats. If they paid out money for exclusives, it would be reflected in the income statement, and show up as a change in cash or surplus on the balance sheet.

RSTEIN

plagiarize said:
about goodwill being 10 billion? yes. about that being money hats from the Entertainment division? not remotely.

I never said that. I was making fun of people who were saying it.

GhaleonEB

I have 360 shipping history as:

Code:
Period	Quarter	2006	2007	2008
Jul-Sep	Q1		0.9	1.8
Oct-Dec	Q2	1.5	4.5	
Jan-Mar	Q3	1.7	0.5	
Apr-Jun	Q4	1.8	0.7	
Total		5	6.6	1.8
LTD 13.4

(Year is fiscal year, not calendar.)

Mojo said:
Thanks, so LTD numbers for 'sold to retail' are:

PS3 - 5.59 million
Wii - 13.17 million
360 - 13.4 million
Thanks.

Rolf NB

Segata Sanshiro said:
'Also known as'?

That acronym. It does not stand for what you think it stands for.
You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you I knew that. I should have used quotation marks.

neptunes

plagiarize said:
am i right in thinking that this proves that the 360 outsold the PS3 to retailers worldwide in that quarter?
I don't think the "sold to retail" figures have been released yet

but they've reached all their estimates In dollar values

edit: dont pay attention to Gahiggidy

neptunes said:
I don't think sold to retail figures have been released

but they've reached all their estimates In dollar values
i'm referring to the barchart gahiggidy posted. i'm not really sure where he got that from... hence me asking.

FrankT

plagiarize said:
am i right in thinking that this proves that the 360 outsold the PS3 to retailers worldwide in that quarter?

That's not possible......
yes

Stock is blowing up in AH, haven't seen this kind of run in awhile.

RavenFox

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Considering it would be illegal for MS to flatout, knowingly lie in an earnings report, yes.
Your kidding right? Or am I in the flip dimension of all is well? Companies cheat even on earnings reports buddy oh pal.

GhaleonEB

plagiarize said:
i'm referring to the barchart gahiggidy posted. i'm not really sure where he got that from... hence me asking.
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/earnings/FY08/earn_rel_q1_08.mspx

PPT link at the top.

RavenFox said:
Your kidding right? Or am I in the flip dimension of all is well? Companies cheat even on earnings reports buddy oh pal.
Just to be clear, are you accusing MS of releasing bogus earnings data to the public and to the SEC, and if so on what basis?

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
i think some folks need to take an accounting class before trying to interpret these results, the ideas about goodwill here are just too funny

and if you think MS is going to fudge their earnings report....well that's just laughable. As long as they consistently record using the same method, there is no problem.

plagiarize said:

What would be weird about that? We never get real numbers for Europe. Sure, people like to say that PS3 was outselling 360 in Europe for the last few months, but they just pull it out of their ass.

squicken

f@luS said:
Where is the 1.000.000.000 for ROD and others problem?

I know why you posted this, but for those who legitimately need to know the answer to that question, MS took the entire $1B writeoff last year.

RSTEIN

squicken said:
I know why you posted this, but for those who legitimately need to know the answer to that question, MS took the entire $1B writeoff last year.

Oh, we all know why he posted it. Don't worry ;)

plagiarize said:
I think you are correct. Companies can't lie in their financials (unlike with their PR).

RavenFox

Banned
GashPrex said:
i think some folks need to take an accounting class before trying to interpret these results, the ideas about goodwill here are just too funny

and if you think MS is going to fudge their earnings report....well that's just laughable. As long as they consistently record using the same method, there is no problem.

Well damn it we arent experts we just hate the man. yeah

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
squicken said:

well unless i am wrong they would have had capitalize that loss over a number of years...

beermonkey@tehbias said:
What would be weird about that? We never get real numbers for Europe. Sure, people like to say that PS3 was outselling 360 in Europe for the last few months, but they just pull it out of their ass.
well... unless i'm wrong, this doesn't totally disprove that notion (though it makes it very unlikely) but it does quash the notion that the PS3 has been outselling the 360 globally.

always nice to have hard figures to see where everything really is.

I believe this quarter will mark the first of many successive quarters to come (as in 3+ years worth) in which MS's gaming division turns a profit.

Richelieu

sinnergy said:
Yes X360 still number one :lol

Perhaps in units to stores, but considering how many 360s vs Wiis are sitting on shelves/in back rooms at stores across the U.S. the number in the hands of players is probably favoring Wii.

RavenFox said:
And that would make it illegal. If a company lies in their earnings report, knowingly, it is illegal.

Gahiggidy said:
http://www.microsoft.com/msft/download/FY08/Q1-FY08Slides.ppt

Its shipped numbers. All this proves is that Micorosoft has Managed to stuff the retail channels with an extra millin or so of unsold 360.
i said 'sold to retail'. not sure where you think i didn't understand what the figures were saying. i'm comparing sold to retail with sold to retail.

the figures certainly don't prove that microsoft has managed to stuff retail channels. you'd need figures for sold through as well to prove that, which you don't have.

plagiarize said:
i said 'sold to retail'. not sure where you think i didn't understand what the figures were saying. i'm comparing sold to retail with sold to retail.

the figures certainly don't prove that microsoft has managed to stuff retail channels. you'd need figures for sold through as well to prove that, which you don't have.
whoa :lol

are you arguing with gahigs? are you crazy?

TheKingsCrown said:
And if the auditors don't catch them, its irrelevant.
I guess if MS was really sneaky they could hide things from auditors, but why would they take that chance, especially when they are so damn profitable??

The chances that MS is making these numbers up are really, really slim.

Richelieu said:
Perhaps in units to stores, but considering how many 360s vs Wiis are sitting on shelves/in back rooms at stores across the U.S. the number in the hands of players is probably favoring Wii.
while i know that wii is selling out the day it gets in, i also know that stores since halo 3 have occasionally been out of stock of premium 360s.

either way, the wii will pass the 360 globally before the end of the year, if it hasn't already.

Top Bottom