• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft screws up Halo 4 DLC release, pretends it was intentional

UraMallas

Just DLed this bitch. Feels good, man.

Now to see if they take it away from me next week. I'll call Xbox support and feign outrage, I'm not above it.

Blinding

That official xbox twitter appears to be changing its tune. Shouldn't it be verified? Or is that only for famous people?

@XboxSupport1

Wonder how they're going to rip the content off my HDD then, since it's obviously not coded to be a trial nor is it an unlock key of sorts for DLC hosted on servers (like what is done for most trial DLC.)

FyreWulff

Wonder how they're going to rip the content off my HDD then, since it's obviously not coded to be a trial nor is it an unlock key of sorts for DLC hosted on servers (like what is done for most trial DLC.)

I think the most they're going to do is like the Fable 2 fuckup, and they're just going to replace the offer with something else in the download history. People that have it will keep it, but you can't redownload it.

Someone should put MS's money where their mouth is and unplug a 360 from the 'net until after the 18th. If it was an actual trial, it'd auto-expire and/or not work while off Live.

KageMaru

I only got the LE version for the maps and FUD movie. So I really hope this is sorted out. I don't want to rage because i know Frankie and the group aren't to blame, but MS' PR has made a mess of this.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
What a cluster fuck. And I'm one of the people that got the map pack for free.

Between this ongoing PR disaster and the fact that this map pack didn't even fix the problem of the shortage of small 4v4 slayer maps, I might be kinda done with halo for a while. Everything is just leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Pooya

they better be giving the LE and Season Pass buyers another map pack for free. (I know it won't happen. This blows.)

But those people already bought all of the maps packs, Free what? you're thinking refund :p
I'm not sure what they can give away instead that can make up for this. Free Forza Horizon something ? :p

Blinding

Waiting for an official report that doesn't come from a forum post or tweet. :p

Ironically after that I got another tweet from them that contradicts the one I posted above:

@blinding We don't have specifics to share on that. Once the trial is over it will need to be purchased to continue use. ^RH

I'll take that as them not having a clue about what's going on. I feel their first response is most likely right though, the content isn't coded as trial DLC (meaning there's no timer on it,) and there's no means AFAIK for them to remove content from people's hard drives, and I'm pretty sure there's no means of differentiating those who got the map pack for free from those who got it through the map pass and/or those who bought it individually, so I just don't see how they're going to revoke access.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Didn't somerhing similar happen with the Gears 3 pass? I don't regret buying that one, but I waited for this season pass and I will wait for future ones as well.

But those people already bought all of the maps packs, Free what? you're thinking refund :p
I'm not sure what they can give away instead that can make up for this. Free Forza Horizon something ? :p

I mean an unannounced map pack. If they threw together a classic map pack as a way to say sorry, I would be happy with that. Again, I know there is no chance in hell of that happening.

Didn't somerhing similar happen with the Gears 3 pass? I don't regret buying that one, but I waited for this season pass and I will wait for future ones as well.

From what I remember they just made the first DLC pack free for everyone to download, but you needed to purchase it or have the season pass to be able to use it in non-private matchmaking.

Everybody is reading this shit wrong and freaking out.

Read it in order:

@XboxSupport1 Clarify this, are you saying after the 18th those without the Map Pass who don't have the DLC on their HDDs will have to pay?

@blinding After the trial period is over, those that have not purchased the map pack or map pass and want to continue accessing them will^RH

Or: After the trial period is over, those that have not purchased the map pack or map pass and want to continue accessing them will have to pay.

Unless I'm too old to understand tweets.

Blinding

Or: After the trial period is over, those that have not purchased the map pack or map pass and want to continue accessing them will have to pay.

Unless I'm too old to understand tweets.

I understood it as those that have access to the maps currently will continue to have access to the maps. Like I said in the HaloGAF thread though, it's possible (likely) they could have meant it that way, in which case it's a question of how they're even going to enforce that considering their limitations.

I understood it as those that have access to the maps currently will continue to have access to the maps. Like I said in the HaloGAF thread though, it's possible (likely) they could have meant it that way, in which case it's a question of how they're even going to enforce that considering their limitations.
The answer doesn't make sense without the question (will what, exactly?), but as far as the HOW, that's anybody's guess.

Blinding

The answer doesn't make sense without the question (will what, exactly?), but as far as the HOW, that's anybody's guess.

I'm the one that asked the question and didn't come to that conclusion. :lol But no, I understand and it can definitely be taken that way. But enforcing that just doesn't seem likely. The DLC isn't coded as trial DLC, so there's no timer on it that will expire on the 18th; it's not server-side DLC, so they can't yank access to it on the 18th; as far as I and anyone else I've asked is aware they can't remove shit from your HDD and I don't think they can force redownloads (though I may be wrong on that.)

I just don't see how they're going to go about it at all, it seems to me it's just more face-saving bullshit meant to calm those that bought that map pass and/or the LE and got jipped $5.

I guess what confused me about the Tweets was that I literally got two responses back immediately, from the same person, that appeared to be conflicting.

I'm the one that asked the question and didn't come to that conclusion. :lol But no, I understand and it can definitely be taken that way. But enforcing that just doesn't seem likely. The DLC isn't coded as trial DLC, so there's no timer on it that will expire on the 18th; it's not server-side DLC, so they can't yank access to it on the 18th; as far as I and anyone else I've asked is aware they can't remove shit from your HDD and I don't think they can force redownloads (though I may be wrong on that.)

I just don't see how they're going to go about it at all, it seems to me it's just more face-saving bullshit meant to calm those that bought that map pass and/or the LE and got jipped $5.

I guess what confused me about the Tweets was that I literally got two responses back immediately, from the same person, that appeared to be conflicting.

I doubt it's face saving. I believe the twitter handler actually believes it's a trial that will expire. I also believe that's impossible, but we'll see. All this miscommunication flying from all sides on MS's end and I doubt anyone there even knows that the real story is.

Blinding

I doubt it's face saving. I believe the twitter handler actually believes it's a trial that will expire. I also believe that's impossible, but we'll see. All this miscommunication flying from all sides on MS's end and I doubt anyone there even knows that the real story is.

By face saving I meant information they were told to tell us from higher ups to save face, not that it was the reps themselves trying to save face. I'm willing to bet they're just as confused about this mess as we are, which goes to show just how great Microsoft is at informing their support staff. :lol

By face saving I meant information they were told to tell us from higher ups to save face, not that it was the reps themselves trying to save face. I'm willing to bet they're just as confused about this mess as we are, which goes to show just how great Microsoft is at informing their support staff. :lol

Yea, there is probably a higher up somewhere telling people it's a trial as he frantically scrambles to figure out how to make that happen.

So there was glitch online, and now Microsoft will allow 3-4 million people to download the first map pack for free. And...we're supposed to be up in arms about this? If you're a big enough Halo fan to buy the LE for $100, but are pissed because other people are getting the first DLC pack for free for a week, then you need to get punched in the balls. Repeatedly.

Ironically after that I got another tweet from them that contradicts the one I posted above:

I'll take that as them not having a clue about what's going on. I feel their first response is most likely right though, the content isn't coded as trial DLC (meaning there's no timer on it,) and there's no means AFAIK for them to remove content from people's hard drives, and I'm pretty sure there's no means of differentiating those who got the map pack for free from those who got it through the map pass and/or those who bought it individually, so I just don't see how they're going to revoke access.

i find this hard to believe, how does MS not know what the fuck is happening on their own network? is it really that hard to determine when an account has purchased something on the marketplace?

clav

FTUu1.gif

Blinding

i find this hard to believe, how does MS not know what the fuck is happening on their own network? is it really that hard to determine when an account has purchased something on the marketplace?

No, but considering all the people getting the maps for free are technically doing so through purchases and considering everyone is downloading the same file, regardless of if they got it for free, through the map pass, or purchased it standalone, and then considering that as far as anyone knows Microsoft has no means of removing content from people's hard drives it becomes a bit more complicated then just determining whether or not someone purchased something. MS will be able to pinpoint who got the maps for free through their transaction records, but as far as removing the content or making the content expire, I don't think they have anything in their arsenal to make that happen.

Summary:

- Microsoft sells map pack pass for Halo 4, which allows you to get all of Halo 4's DLC for free. Comes with the LE or separate for 25$.

The LE also allowed you to access all 8 specializations earlier than the rest of the userbase.

- Near launch, they add an offer where you if you play in the first two weeks the game is out, you'll get a code emailed to you to unlock the 8 specializations early.

- Fast forward to the 9th. They release the first map pack. People figure out that if you have that specializations code from playing in the first two weeks, the game lets you download the first map pack for free. Microsoft admits it's a mistake. Even their Xbox twitter support admits it was a mistake.

- Then a day later they just make up shit out of their ass with this press release that all the journo sites gladly regurgitate with no question:

Except if you google "14 Day, Buy and Play" it doesn't exist outside of their news story, nobody ever heard that the free maps were on offer before today for redeeming that code. They will not be reimbursing pass buyers for anything.

If you bought the map pass? According to Microsoft's canon, you just paid 25$ for 20$ worth of maps.

Anyone outside of America still has to pay for the maps which is a terrible way to treat customers just because of their location

Season pass buyers have no one else to blame but themselves. They deserve no sympathy other than pitty for buying into this money grabbing scheme.

I can only congratulate MS for their business practises, as they have mastered the art of milking their customers, and rip off the most devoted as they'll take the abuse.
It's genius, for everyone they piss off, 10 new ones are ready to throw their wallets at them.

I guess the only lesson to be learned here is: Don't buy a cat in a bag.

Season pass buyers have no one else to blame but themselves. They deserve no sympathy other than pitty for buying into this money grabbing scheme.

I can only congratulate MS for their business practises, as they have mastered the art of milking their customers, and rip off the most devoted as they'll take the abuse.
It's genius, for everyone they piss off, 10 new ones are ready to throw their wallets at them.

I guess the only lesson to be learned here is: Don't buy a cat in a bag.
Whoaaa, easy on the condescension, man.
I bought Gears 3 Season pass and had absolutely no issues with it.
And since when are Season Passes "money grabbing scheme"? Man, everything is a "money grabbing scheme" if you're such a cynic. I buy a game, I like the multiplayer, I want to play it continuously, I have the option to get all the future maps, I buy it, so what? How does that make me an idiot? Get off your high horse.

MS screwed this one up, but don't put the blame on folks like me who bought the Season Pass.

Aspiring

Anyone outside of America still has to pay for the maps which is a terrible way to treat customers just because of their location

No they don't. I'm from Australia and if I click through the marketplace through halo 4 it downloads it for free. I just did this. Through the dashboard however it tries to charge you.

TheOddOne

Like I said before, this whole first map pack release has been a huge headache and has been poorly handled. Their spin is garbage and makes a situation that was bad even worse.

Whoaaa, easy on the condescension, man.
I bought Gears 3 Season pass and had absolutely no issues with it.
And since when are Season Passes "money grabbing scheme"? Man, everything is a "money grabbing scheme" if you're such a cynic. I buy a game, I like the multiplayer, I want to play it continuously, I have the option to get all the future maps, I buy it, so what? How does that make me an idiot? Get off your high horse.

MS screwed this one up, but don't put the blame on folks like me who bought the Season Pass.
Season passes are a cat in a bag. You gamble about both: Value for money, and actual release of content in a timely fashion.

If you trust a company to deliver on their promise of giving you satisfactory content without even knowing what said content is, then I'd say you're pretty naive.
Mind you, I've bought the 360 and 3DS at launch, just on promise of future potential alone, so I'm not trying to act like a moral authority here.
Fact is, Season Passes are designed to cash in on launch hype. It's been proven time and time again, in pretty much every business that people buy more add-ons and auxilliary services at the purchase of the intended good. Interest of purchase declines rapidly after launch. Think of the shitload of money Apple or Nintendo makes on proprietary peripherals.

You've been satisfied by the Gears3 season pass, good for you, it was still a gamble and you've gotten lucky.

Edit: I've never called season pass buyers idiots. But I do maintain that buying stuff before you know anything tangible about it is poor judgement. That doesn't make anyone an idiot, it happens to anyone at some time.

Edit: I've never called season pass buyers idiots. But I do maintain that buying stuff before you know anything tangible about it is poor judgement. That doesn't make anyone an idiot, it happens to anyone at some time.
Yes, but your initial tone was very against people who buy season passes. :) never mind, though. We won't bicker on that.

The thing here is this: "But I do maintain that buying stuff before you know anything tangible about it is poor judgement."

What would be tangible for you? On what CAN I base my decision to purchase a Season Pass? :/

Company: "Folks, we'll be doing couple of map packs throughout the year, each will cost X MSP, but if you give us [bla] MSP now, you get it all for [bla] % less".

^ this is how it goes for now and I really don't see what could change? IMHO, if they layout a detailed plan for the DLC program then everyone would cry: "a ha! you see? money grabbing bastards are ripping us off with DLCs" , etc. (you see my point?)

I see this really plainly: I like the game, I like it's multiplayer and I want to continue playing it so Season Pass seems like the best option for me. Nothing more, nothing less.

But after this shit? *sigh* I really don't know what to say. I hope it's an isolated incident (at least for me it is because, like I said, Gears 3 worked fine and I got my money's worth).

So there was glitch online, and now Microsoft will allow 3-4 million people to download the first map pack for free. And...we're supposed to be up in arms about this? If you're a big enough Halo fan to buy the LE for $100, but are pissed because other people are getting the first DLC pack for free for a week, then you need to get punched in the balls. Repeatedly.

I think you're missing why people are upset...people bought the LE or Season Pass to receive access to 3 map packs, which they prepaid for...they're now getting 2 because 1 has been made completely free.

They've been blatantly lied to at this point.

I don't care if people get it for free, more power to them. But they said I would get THREE map packs when I PAID for the LE, at this rate I'm only getting two instead of the three I initially PAID for.

TCKaos

People are angry because of the fact that their purchases are worthless because the DLC is literally being given away.

The LE/Season Pass was sold at their price points with the promise that they'd get three map packs ($30) at a cheaper price ($25) for spending the money up front. Each map pack is $10 normally.

Now there are people with the Limited Edition, people with the Season Pass, and people who purchased the pack before this glitch went live for full price. I'd imagine they're pretty furious right now considering anyone who played between the 6th and 20th is getting this map pack for free in what is either a glitch or a completely unannounced promotion. The Season Pass is now essentially worth $20 despite having cost everyone $25, the LE has its price devalued yet again (the original promotion of playing from the 6th to the 20th giving everyone their Specializations, which were originally specific to the LE), and people who bought the map pack outright were essentially robbed.

Top Bottom