• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft secretly gave the NSA, CIA, FBI access to Skype, Outlook, Skydrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimi_dini

Yup.

Kinect + Prism = a cloud over the Xbone
Kinect + Prism + footage of children playing = a hilariously evil dark cloud over the Xbone

That way the original always on-line plan makes total sense.

"we need the cloud
to let the NSA spy on you 24/7
"

TCRS

Banned
I just disabled my camera and mic in the device manager. I don't know if that helps but it makes me feel a little less paranoid.

Neo C.

Since Snowden's reveal I taped my cam of the laptop. I thought it's stupid when a security expert recommended this last year, but now I'm more aware. And taping the cam isn't that much work anyway.

This continuous stream of new information has to wake up the American people.

I can't believe we've let it go this far as a country.

This is truly a surveillance state now.

Salmonax

I, for one, look forward to giving these guys access to an always-connected camera in my living room. I mean, are you fucking kidding me?

I'm not a conspiracy guy at all, but there's zero-point-zero chance I'm getting an XB1 if this article is true.

shuri

Banned
That's kind of messed up. that's really messed up. Privacy is dead on the internet. it's time to return to bbses

Mato

There's thunderbird, firefox, ixquick.com, duckduckgo, dailymotion.com and so on. People have options.

Meh, keeps me safe. Who's to say someone won't be saved by Kinect catching an attack and the NSA sending the police round? Security>Freedom

Meh, keeps me safe. Who's to say someone won't be saved by Kinect catching an attack and the NSA sending the police round? Security>Freedom

You're joking...right? As for keeping you safe. It's the thinnest veil of 'safety' that's shattered/torn apart on an almost daily basis....

This pretty unsettling, I've done 'things' on Skype that I thought were private. Now I learn there's some thirf dick bag watching me the entire time.

Well I hope they enjoyed themselves. Dirty bastards.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It seems like people are missing that this just isn't Microsoft, it's Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook and Yahoo.

Secondly they're talking about providing data only when there is legal action requiring them to do so for individuals targeted by the NSA. No one cares what you guys are doing with your willies over Skype.

It seems like people are missing that this just isn't Microsoft, it's Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook and Yahoo.

I haven't had time to look into this too thoroughly, but this is what I was wondering. Is this limited to Microsoft? Has it only been "proven" to be MS? Have the other companies been explored/investigated for the same practices?

SiteSeer

That's kind of messed up. that's really messed up. Privacy is dead on the internet. it's time to return to bbses

more like tin cans connected by a string. all the major telcomms have 'secret' closets where nsa has servers copying all traffic at the router level.

Secondly they're talking about providing data only when there is legal action requiring them to do so for individuals targeted by the NSA. No one cares what you guys are doing with your willies over Skype.

the point is this stuff is kind of unconstitutional.

I think it's more of a 'who will become someone they target' type of thing. Aren't stuff like search terms flagged? And facebook book posts? Considering some of the things I've googled in the past for research for ARGs, writing, or debate, I've likely got an NSA file sitting around somewhere, and I'm the least threatening person around.

Marleyman

Banned
Snowden should be the opening of the floodgates; give us more whistleblowers. Modern day Patriots against a corrupt government.

The worst part about all this becoming known, is that in a few months after the initial outrage no one is going to give a shit that they're being spied/recorded 24/7.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

jennifer granick ‏@granick 28m
@csoghoian @kurtopsahl There's obligatory assistance and then there is reengineering. Not sure what the line is, but different, no?

i-Lo

I know you jest but had the system worked like we've seen in Person of Interest, it would be less troubling. But in the hands of people even seemingly benign information can be exploited down the line.

Marleyman

Banned
The worst part about all this becoming known, is that in a few months after the initial outrage no one is going to give a shit that they're being spied/recorded 24/7.

They won't. Adams and his people fought back against much less; where are the modern day Patriots?

NSA employee: "search internet forum threads relating to the NSA" results: GAF knows about Kinnect. Response: Kill them, kill them all.

They're watching us.

SiteSeer

They won't. Adams and his people fought back against much less; where are the modern day Patriots?

prophet, he.
maxresdefault.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Skype, which was bought by Microsoft in October 2011, worked with intelligence agencies last year to allow Prism to collect video of conversations as well as audio;

So when Obama said that "no one is listening to your phone calls", he wasn't including video conversations on Skype?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I think it's more of a 'who will become someone they target' type of thing. Aren't stuff like search terms flagged? And facebook book posts? Considering some of the things I've googled in the past for research for ARGs, writing, or debate, I've likely got an NSA file sitting around somewhere, and I'm the least threatening person around.

Fair enough but that's where is becomes a matter of degrees of paranoia and how much you trust your government. In the good old days people just thought they were being followed, spied on in their homes and watched by black helicopters. Now it's become electronic but that's just a byproducts of everything becoming more digital and out there on the internet. People voluntarily post tonnes and tonnes of personal info on sites like Facebook every day and the government is going to pull from that data if they have cause.

The paranoia doesn't come from the fact that we learn that they government can spy on us, because they always could if they wanted to, it's about whether they are spying on everyone or only those that warrant suspicion of more than a couple of google searches which, as you say, are also monitored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom