• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sees Xbox 360 in driver's seat

Chiggs

Kleegamefan said:
Drivers seat??

When the dust has all settled, Sony will have the biggest next-gen userbase in all 3 major territories, and you can quote me on that...

When the dust has all settled, Sony will have the biggest next-gen userbase in all 3 major territories, and you can quote me on that...

-- Kleegamefan

bitwise said:
you're in the console biz? give me a fucking break.

Oh, you didn't get the memo? You see, everyone here is an industry insider, which is why this site is often cited as a source; much like how we quote Beyond3D all the time because they're all technologically savvy.

sangreal said:
Question: What are your expectations for supply for xbox 360 for the US and Europe in terms of hardware production?

Answer: On the Xbox 360, we are planning on pretty modest hardware availability, the sort of order of magnitude of the playstation 2 launch is the basis of our planning.

Order of magnitude <> same quantity. Shortage is a factor of demand, not supply. That is, the 360 will likely have a massive shortage this year because supply will not meet demand.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
JadedGamer said:
Its easy to say something like that when they sold 3X more than the other consoles this gen. But no one can predict how the next gen will turn out. I can just as easily say MS will come out on top in the end...

Just to use EU as example, for that to happen, MS would have to convince some 55M PS2 and PSOne users that they don't need a PS3 that plays all their game and is just as powerful as X360 (at minimum)....

I think it would be much easier if the Xbox brand had some momentum, but as you can see by the sales numbers, Sony's lead is INCREASING, not decreasing in EU.....

So you are telling me, you are going to get people the people in EU that bought 30M PSOnes and 25M PS2s and only 5M Xboxen to *not* buy PS3 and buy X360 instead...

That trend would change if those people are unhappy with the PlayStation brand....

No evidence of that, though...

Speevy

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:
300%?

Not going to happen. You don't get marketshare increases for just showing up.

Assuming your competition sells exactly the same thing, and so do you. (which is the very least we can presume at this point) launching first means EXACTLY that.

You either land the system selling exclusives that make consumers go out and buy your system or you don't

The definition of a system-selling exclusive changes from generation to generation. You don't know that Gears of War, the new Killzone, or Motorstorm isn't such a game.

MS has virtually the same set of developers and IP that they had for this console cycle.

And more. Watch.

The vast, vast majority of console gamers do not go out and buy a new console just because it goes on sale.

The Gamecube, now bombing in every region, was a very hot item at launch. No killer exclusives for the system either. Most launch systems sell very well, especially those from a now established brand like the Xbox.

For most console buyers at 300 dollar plus item is a once in a few year purchase. They always have, will continue to, wait for the machine that plays the games they want.

Couldn't agree more. And again, what are the games they want? I think the reason the Playstation has been successful is because it has 1,000+ games, and having that ensures that a 300 dollar purchase will lead to those games. Now gamers know exactly what to expect from a console called Xbox, and MS is giving them just that, but even better.

MS right now better be focused on shoring up their base supporters. They have a console launch that is self destructing. MS can forget about attracting PS2 and GameCube owners going out and buying the 360 and they are going to be lucky to retain a majority of their current xbox owners. Xbox owners all over the net are talking about either canceling their pre-orders or holding off on the the 360 if the second HD-DVD 360 version rumors are true. No one wants to be stuck with a gimped piece of hardware that is rushed out the door.

Yes, it's an epidemic. :lol

Barnimal

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:
Player?
Mindshare?

I guess that is what you talk about when you blew four to five billion for a tie for last place.

Five years ago those of us working in the console biz said to each other that MS would lose billions just to keep themselves alive in the console market with the bulk of their exclusive support coming from peecee dev houses.

Boy were we silenced by MS...

how big of a lead did sony have over MS? oh. What experience did MS have in the console biz? Hm... What experience did ms, an AMERICAN company have with JAPANESE gamers? errrmmm... they have used xbox and their learning tool, did a damn good job in doing that and what they are doing with the 360 shows that they are taking what they have learned and using it. you cant put a price on experience.

sangreal

Order of magnitude <> same quantity.
Not the same, but similar. Otherwise please clarify.

sonycowboy said:
Shortage is a factor of demand, not supply. That is, the 360 will likely have a massive shortage this year because supply will not meet demand.

I'm aware of what a shortage is. They could produce 100 million units and still have a shortage. I don't see what you are disputing, however. I consider it a given that demand will be high and sales will likely be supply constrained, like nearly every console launch (unless MS is able to produce a huge amount of 360s in time for launch, which Activision doesn't seem to expect).

Chiggs

Kleegamefan said:
That trend would change if those people are unhappy with the PlayStation brand....

No evidence of that, though...

Well, I didn't appreciate the fact that I went through three PS2's this generation. Okay, so one of them was my fault, but still... :D

TheInkyVoid said:
Player?
Mindshare?

I guess that is what you talk about when you blew four to five billion for a tie for last place.

Five years ago those of us working in the console biz said to each other that MS would lose billions just to keep themselves alive in the console market with the bulk of their exclusive support coming from peecee dev houses.

Boy were we silenced by MS...

You are now my official INSANE POSTER to watch. Can you get me into X05? :lol

Striek said:
The lack of MS actually coming out and trying to say their console is more powerful that makes it very easy to assume they realise its not.
I'm kidding! MS are just good guys that don't want to BS their customers, they just tell it like it is.

I think MS is placing too much emphasis on a 6-9month lead.
agreed 100%. I'm a Sony fan but I really don't care who wins. I bought 2 Xboxes this gen and 2 PS2s. MS, the queen whore of all tech whore companies, (a) not explicitly saying they are the best, (2) downplaying power advantages of the competition and (d) pinning their hopes to a 6-9 month lead when its been proven time and again that relatively brief leadtimes have little effect on marketshare, says it all. The X360 will still sell significantly better than the X180, but it really won't matter. I'd guess that they only take more of Nintendo's share than anything.

That said, I'm looking forward to getting both consoles.

lol nintendo lol

Speevy

Banned
By the way.

It doesn't matter who's in the driver's seat. I just hope gamers like TheInkyVoid take their stand in the middle of the road.

While the bragging rights are fun for this forum, the simple truth is that both will be successful next generation and it will not be a one sided affair for the first time in a LOOONG time.

Most other market's don't have 1 winner and all the rest losers. It's simply a matter of market share and someone's going to have the most and someone's going to have the least.

Sony isn't number one in the movie industry, are they going to quit it? Hell, no. It makes them damn good money. They're also no longer #1 in the TV industry, but they ain't leaving that either.

I expect Sony & Microsoft to likely be dueling it out for the quite a while.

Speevy said:
The Gamecube, now bombing in every region, was a very hot item at launch. No killer exclusives for the system either.

This is hilarious.

The GC and xbox are virtually tied in worldwide marketshare.

I guess the xbox is bombing too, right?

Barnimal

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:
This is hilarious.

MS didnt exactly have the luxury of japan or a 20 year old catalog of IP and experience in the game industry either and they STILL beat nintendo by 2 million units.

temp

posting on contract only
Barnimal said:
MS didnt exactly have the luxury of japan or a 20 year old catalog of IP and experience in the game industry either and they STILL beat nintendo by 2 million units.
...Does that really matter? I don't think they're talking about their market strengths and weaknesses.

Speevy

Banned
This is hilarious.

Did you happen to catch Gamecube sales for...I dunno...2004-present? The Xbox has slowed down, but at least the system has kept software and hardware sales up to a consistently respectable level. When you think about the biggest game for a given month sells ~20-30K copies in the US, that's not the Xbox.

Plus, all the popular multiplatform games have been successful on the Xbox. Not true of Gamecube.

The Xbox gained developer support. The Gamecube lost most of it.

I mean really, there's almost no reasonable measure by which you could call the two systems equals, aside from the close worldwide numbers. But even then, you'd have to factor in total software sales.

sonycowboy said:
While the bragging rights are fun for this forum, the simple truth is that both will be successful next generation and it will not be a one sided affair for the first time in a LOOONG time.

Most other market's don't have 1 winner and all the rest losers. It's simply a matter of market share and someone's going to have the most and someone's going to have the least.

Sony isn't number one in the movie industry, are they going to quit it? Hell, no. It makes them damn good money. They're also no longer #1 in the TV industry, but they ain't leaving that either.

Oh please.

Other than just something one writes to make onself sound like a reasonable person, what exactly do you have to support such a MASSIVE swing in marketshare.

You are talking about tens of millions of people going out and buying 360s and tens of millions of people not going out and buying PS3s. There has to a reason for such a dramatic change in consumer prefrence. Amorphous talk of 'mindshare' or 'brand building' mean nothing. There has to be a reason that tens of millions of consumers are going to go out and buy a 360 who didn't buy the first xbox.

This is just like five years ago hearing MS fans saying the xbox was going to destroy the PS2 because "Bill always gets what he wants"

What new exclusive IP does MS have now for the 360 that they didn't for the first xbox?
What exactly about the 360 is there that will get tens of millions of people to go out and buy it where they didn't buy the first xbox?

sonycowboy said:

*thumbs up*

Speevy said:
I mean really, there's almost no reasonable measure by which you could call the two systems equals, aside from the close worldwide numbers.

Yes, it is unreasonable to use worldwide installed base numbers as a metric...

Hilarious.

The xbox has ~20 million units out there, but they are a STRONG 20 million.
The GC has ~20 million units out there, but they are a WEAK 20 million.

Nintendo is teh doomed!

monkeyrun

TheInkyVoid said:

Hilarious.

Nintendo is teh doomed!
wtf is wrong with you .. xbox got the momentum :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

TheInkyVoid said:

Hilarious.

Nintendo is teh doomed!

Was Microsoft ever on top of this industry? The fact that it tied/beat Nintendo in its own game is beyond STRONG/WEAK. Its industry changing.

FightyF

Banned
TheInkyVoid said:

Hilarious.

Nintendo is teh doomed!

I like how you put the "~" there to make 'em look equal!

Pretty shady...but I give it a 8/10 on the fanboyometer. I give out an 8 because it makes your favourite corporation look more competitive than it really is. You should become an accountant for a large corporation.

Norse

why are we even talking about this when we dont know what each of the new consoles prices will be? And will the ps3 get nerfed any more before they launch it due to costs? What if the x60 ends up having a full year head start instead of the estimated 6-9 month? what if x360 ends up having just 6 games ready for launch? What if MS pries the x360 at 199.99 at launch? what if its 399? hd-dvd drive or not?

just way too many ifs out there to even think about any of this crap. Once a price is announced for even 1 of the systems and then maybe we might be able to dig into this a bit. Until then, just wasted thread pages.

Barnimal

Banned
"Was Microsoft ever on top of this industry? The fact that it tied/beat Nintendo in its own game is beyond STRONG/WEAK. Its industry changing."

sad thing is that you can explain that 1 billion times and they still wouldnt get it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Well, people also need to realize that MS lost billions upon billions of dollars to get the Xbox where it is today. How many other companies have that luxury?

You act as if they just came in and made all this headway with no effort.

Link said:
Well, people also need to realize that MS lost billions upon billions of dollars to get the Xbox where it is today. How many other companies have that luxury?

You act as if they just came in and made all this headway with no effort.

Not sure who this is replying to, but why should anyone care how much $ was spent? The result is the result.

Nintendo has vast cash resources but chooses to let Yamamuchi roll naked in it rather than spend any of it to gain ground in the industry it once literally owned.

Barnimal

Banned
what company DOESNT lose billions starting something new? auto manufacturers spend billions building ONE factory to build new cars. You dont see ford fans saying HAW HAW TOYOTA SPENT 3 BILLION ON A NEW PLANT AND THEY HAVENT BUILT ANY CARS YET!!! ZOMGWTF DOOMED. its called an investment.

BirdySky

comical_ali.jpg

The Xbox will be victorious inspite of the advancing Playstation. We are...Oh wait we just lost. Never mind.

BirdySky said:
comical_ali.jpg

The Xbox will be victorious inspite of the advancing Playstation. We are...Oh wait we lost. Never mind. Heh, good timing though huh? Huh? I could be a comedian. Huh? Huh?

Totally devoid of teh funny.

Barnimal said:
it is BENEFICIAL to devs to learn the 360 as best they can to take advantage of multicore programming. whats the use of waiting for ps3? WASTED DEV TIME, WASTED LEARNING TIME. what you think ps3 will come along and *poof* devs will instantly know ow to program for a multi core console? NO! they'd still be stuck programming for a single core and trying to grasp the concept of learning to break the system. the better the learn on the 360, the better it'll be for MS and the better it will be for sony as well because devs will now understand BOTH systems from what they learned working with the 360.

Ehhh?

Did you type really fast or something? I think you forgot to make sense.

Juice

Barnimal said:
what company DOESNT lose billions starting something new? auto manufacturers spend billions building ONE factory to build new cars. You dont see ford fans saying HAW HAW TOYOTA SPENT 3 BILLION ON A NEW PLANT AND THEY HAVENT BUILT ANY CARS YET!!! ZOMGWTF DOOMED. its called an investment.

I hear most lemonade stands only go thirty bucks or so in the red before pulling themselves up.

Barnimal

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Ehhh?

Did you type really fast or something? I think you forgot to make sense.

ok. not like its gonna happen this way BUT if devs are waiting for the ps3 "cuz its morepowerful"....

devs port shit to x360 not taking advantage of the hardware because ps3 is coming
ps3 gets here and since they waited on the ps3 instead of learning multi core programing for consoles with the 360 they now have to start from scratch with the ps3

instead of kicking out some cool games on 360 with what they've learned thus making money THEN turning around and kicking out more cool games without wasting time figuring out multi core with the ps3 as well...they would have sat thru a year of learning time and profit making doing NOTHING and also wasting even more time trying to find the "next generation" with the ps3 when it was already there with the 360 all along.

"I hear most lemonade stands only go thirty bucks or so in the red before pulling themselves up."

hmmm...MS is in the red? i seeeeeeee.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
krypt0nian said:
Was Microsoft ever on top of this industry? The fact that it tied/beat Nintendo in its own game is beyond STRONG/WEAK. Its industry changing.
"Industry changing" started two generations before MS even took an interest in the console market when Sega managed to temporarily reverse their fortunes long enough for the Genesis to almost match the SNES for marketshare, then Sony pressed the advantage further leaving Nintendo with significantly reduced marketshare by the time MS decided to jump in. By the time MS arrived, the industry changing had already occurred.

Of course, in a more general sense, MS entering the console market is industry changing by itself. Loophole! ;)

Barnimal said:
Yes, and if they've planned and prepared smartly with their investments they should then see a RETURN on those investments, preferably in amounts significantly larger than the initial investments and in a more timely fashion than the ROI that MS is still waiting for...

Barnimal said:
ok. not like its gonna happen this way BUT if devs are waiting for the ps3 "cuz its morepowerful"....

they would have sat thru a year of learning time and profit making doing NOTHING and also wasting even more time trying to find the "next generation" with the ps3 when it was already there with the 360 all along.

I was just busting your chops a bit but I dont think Im following you, I kinda skimmed through the thread and I may be taking you out of context. But where does this "lost learning time" stuff come from? Sony's dev kits are already out. PS3 development is underway. Where's this potential stall you're inferring?

Also, the differences between coding for Cell and XeCPU are likely to be pronounced in the long run. Just because they're both multicore doesn't make them exactly similar architectures. It'll be the top of the line 1st/2nd party devs, and the rare 3rd party exclusive that gets the most out of these machines anyway. Thats usually the case with consoles. But next gen the gap for software coded specifically for the hardware compared to the majority of multiplat titles could be as dramatic as its ever been, as far as overall complexity is concerned.

Pimpwerx

This gen, neither MS nor Nin has matched the userbase of the N64. And that was (as Cypress Hill would say) a certified bomb. It got clowned by the PS1 100-30. MS and Nin are in the low-20's right now to Sony's 90M. Even in the US, it's gonna end up being over 3:1 in favor of Sony. Some of you are underestimating the importance of marketshare and mindshare in this business. As KLee noted, the gap is only widening. MS's bullshit about Sony's lead is just that, bullshit. When MS came into the game, the margin was A LOT closer than it is now. Sony is stretching the lead, and by the end of it, will have outsold each of those systems by more than 4:1. That is a killing. A beatdown by every possible definition. Yet, the Xbox is considered a success. If you want to say the 360 will be a success, that's one thing. If you expect them to stave off the root down that's coming to them from the PS3, then you either expect Sony to make a major blunder, or you're in denial. Hey, you can quote me on that too. :lol Seriously, momentum, marketshare and mindshare are all on Sony's side. As long as they don't price themselves into a recession, they've got this next-gen on lock. And that's not fanboyism, that's just the damn truth. PEACE.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I couldn't care less about which console is more powerful than the other. Xbox and GC are more powerful than PS2, but I've enjoyed playing on my PS2 much more then I have enjoyed playing on an Xbox or my GC because there are so many great games on PS2. At the end of the day, the reason people buy consoles is because of the games available. Its no good to either company to have a powerful console and no quality games. MS have realised the importance of that this time. They seem to have a few very good games in development, such as Gears of War, Ninja gaiden 2 and PGR3 and they have released before Sony to give themselves a head start, which is as Bill gates said, a very nice thing. Sony wqont gain much from having a powerful console, and Xbox is proof of that. If MS can get a good selection of launch titles and keep advertising future games, then they can gain a good lead before PS3 comes out. This time round, things will be much closer, but Sony have so many well known exclusive games under their belt that it will make it very difficult for MS to keep up with Sony.

TheDuce22

Banned
Microsoft has alot more going for them with 360 then they did when the original Xbox launched. It ended up exceeding many peoples expectations. I bet 360 does the same.

Akira

To overcome Sony worldwide, MS will need several franchises that are equally popular in the three big territories(NA, Europe, Asia). Something like GT and Final Fantasy, which sells tons of copies in at least two territories. Right now MS' biggest franchise, Halo, is only hugely popular in NA. Can Forza 2 and Lost Odyssey sell worldwide like GT and FF? MS should hope so.

I just can't see how Sony wont win. They have the japanese support, the user base, the power and the name.

The name "Playstation" today has the same recognition as the name "Nintendo" had 10-15 years ago. It is the defining label of the industry. (IE the phrase "Im gonna go play some playstation" is heard all the time in movies and tv just as the name Nintendo was used before it)

In my opinion Sony will have to fuck up pretty bad in order for MS to take 1st in the industry, no matter what fucking ferrari they're driving

Top Bottom