• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to be the "Netflix of Gaming"

Mista

Banned
xcloud1.jpg

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella speaking about xCloud:

“We describe it as, shorthand, ‘Netflix for games’,”
We have as much a shot to build a subscription service as anybody else.”
“We have a huge back catalog, which is we have our own games,” he continued, before adding- “We have a structural position in that we have both a console business as well as a PC business, which happens to be bigger than the console business when it comes to gaming.”

Last edited:

FrankCaron

They way they’ve approached this, with respect to prioritizing local downloads over streaming for now, combined with the strategic advantage of Azure and their network architecture teams, sure does give them the best shot of the big three for now.

If they can learn to manage content teams better, they’re well poised to win that monicker and the resulting lucarative business. They certainly would do better by it than Apple or Amazon, at least.

Last edited:
Netflix if good because they have their own shows,what does M$ have!last year almost nothing,this year don't think they'll have something,but I also have a huge.....nevermind

quickwhips

Netflix if good because they have their own shows,what does M$ have!last year almost nothing,this year don't think they'll have something,but I also have a huge.....nevermind
How did Microsoft hurt you? Point to it so we can help. Microsoft is in a good position and has a great backlog if they can get them all on their streaming service.

nowhat

Netflix if good because they have their own shows
I was more thinking along the lines of "you better like the third-party content, because the first-party content sure as hell isn't worth it".

(yes, Netflix does have some good shows/movies - but they are dwarfed by all the other ones that are mediocre at best)

(and that was more meant as a joke/critique of Netflix's programming, no console warrioring, so don't get too worked up)

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
How would this differ from any other subscription models?
Pay X amount per month = access to full catalog (incl. AAA soon to be released games)?
I keep hearing cloud this and cloud that, yet it's not really clear to me what the big push/selling point is.

Play/access your games on all supported devices perhaps? but what's different than say PS+ or GamePass?

They have a lot of catching up to do. Let's see if they can pull it off.

Wonder if that means we'll see Xbox games on PS5 next generation, or streaming to Switch. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, to be honest.

Fake

Different situations I guess. Game streaming is very more challenge than movie streaming.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
That is a totally different paradigm, and they have a really good shot at succeeding.

It really plays to their strength as a software company.

Buki1

There are too many movie streaming services right now, with movies pulled from Netflix regularly now, because every major player wants to have their own platform. And no customer wants to pay 7-8 services to have the library of movies to watch, so people are going back to piracy. Era of one dominant player like Netflix is slowly coming to an end, I doubt MS will be succesfull in bringing it to gaming now.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I picked up an X over Christmas and Game Pass has been really good for me as someone who missed out on a lot of Xbox exclusives over the years. Not to mention things like Forza Horizon 4 which I ended up loving and would never have tried otherwise, so I'm all for this as long as they always offer a download options over streaming.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Different situations I guess. Game streaming is very more challenge than movie streaming.
Everything has to have a beginning.

The infrastructure is not there yet for universal game streaming, but maybe a few genres can be covered. And in the future, a lot of games could be streamed. Of course, it will never work well across the board, but it's still a neat idea worth pursuing. Particularly for a company like Microsoft.

Silvawuff

I think this is a good idea, and would introduce an interesting new paradigm that challenges the predatory a la carte affair modern game sales have become.

Yeah, this could be one of those things where I'm missing something obvious but I really don't think the technology is there yet unless games become less complex rather than more complex.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do they really have a "huge" back catalog though? I don't think these kinds of services will be successful on old content anyway. There is a reason Netflix is spending crazy money on original content.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
giphy.gif

i think it would be the most logical thing for microsoft to do they are miles ahead of sony atm.

Last edited:

scraz

Streaming games is a boondoggle for most of the US with Comcast being most peoples only choice. The idea of giving Comcast 50 bucks more a month for unlimited makes me ill.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They have a lot of catching up to do. Let's see if they can pull it off.

Wonder if that means we'll see Xbox games on PS5 next generation, or streaming to Switch. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, to be honest.
Not a chance. It surprises me how many people continue to think that Microsoft will invest all this time and resources just to place their services on competing platforms. TV, Smart phones, tablets, okay. But Sony and Nintendo??? Nah...

Last edited:
Not a chance. It surprised me how many people continue to think that Microsoft will invest all this time and resources just to place their services on competing platforms. TV, Smart phones, tablets, okay. But Sony and Nintendo??? Nah...
Why not? If MAUs and subscriptions are all that matters, why wouldn't you want your hardware-agnostic streaming service on a platform with 10s of millions of potential gamer customers? Whether Sony or Nintendo want the streaming app on their device is another matter entirely.

The loyal Xbox fans will still buy Microsoft's hardware, anyway.

FrankCaron

Not a chance. It surprises me how many people continue to think that Microsoft will invest all this time and resources just to place their services on competing platforms. TV, Smart phones, tablets, okay. But Sony and Nintendo??? Nah...
I totally disagree. Look at what Microsoft has done with Minecraft; they didn't pull it off of other platforms but rather worked Xbox Live membership into them. When you play Minecraft on Switch, you log in with your Microsoft account.

It is inevitable that Microsoft will move to streaming on mobile and competing consoles; it's really just a question of if Sony and Nintendo will allow it. Microsoft would love for everyone on any device to be a Microsoft customer. Subscription revenue is their entire focus as a company, and as Microsoft 365 rolls out, that'll hold true for literally everything from gaming to the OS and beyond.

WaterAstro

How did Microsoft hurt you? Point to it so we can help. Microsoft is in a good position and has a great backlog if they can get them all on their streaming service.
No they don't. Their game lineup this generation has been extremely poor.

They don't have a majority of the best games in the world. It's like if Netflix didn't have 90% of the top tier movies and shows because, in comparison, Microsoft doesn't have Sony, Nintendo, or PC exclusives. Microsoft will never be Netflix.

Akuza89

Well given what they described previously about this, it doesn't surprise me that this is the aim.

Microsoft have the money, the development teams to make sure it works and they seem to be understanding the way things are going.

Calibos

sheesh...the hate and salt is flowing in this thread...but I suppose thats par for the course on the Gaf.

Do they really have a "huge" back catalog though? I don't think these kinds of services will be successful on old content anyway. There is a reason Netflix is spending crazy money on original content.

They have a pretty big back catalog, but to your point, MS is dropping loads of cash on 1st party studios and acquisitions to gain content right now. I would guess that will continue until they either are "the Netflix of Games" or they fail miserably.

Also, these cherry picked quotes and whole threads based on them only serve to stoke the fanboy flames it seems. These statements have been made before and or hinted at by people at MS and everywhere else.

Trogdor1123

I know it's not a popular opinion here but this is exactly where I want gaming to go. However, the licensing part I'm struggling with. I don't want a game disappearing half way through.

Akuza89

They don't have a majority of the best games in the world. It's like if Netflix didn't have 90% of the top tier movies and shows because, in comparison, Microsoft doesn't have Sony, Nintendo, or PC exclusives. Microsoft will never be Netflix.

Well that doesn't make much sense...

When Netflix started out I don't think they had a plethora of "exclusive content" or originals, Also Netflix don't get exclusive movies, they make them.

Microsoft have 90% of the top tier 3rd party games that can just be dropped on this service, like Netflix, while still working on their own "originals", like Netflix.

It's entirely plausible that Microsoft or playstation or Nintendo could make it work, the only difference is Microsoft are talking about it first?

Last edited:

quickwhips

Good thing a streaming service is made up of classics and new titles. We are three generations in for Microsoft. The 360 and Xbox og have great games of old to revisit.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Amazon
Nvidia
Sony
EA
Steam

and many more are all trying to do this as well. They all want to be the next Netflix of gaming where you can just use an app and play games no need for a system. Also, Netflix is rumored to be working one.

We are going to have so many of them it's insane

How can you possibly predict the future. Netflix in its infancy had pretty crappy movies to start I'm pretty sure of that.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'll NEVER give up physical releases. The first company that does, will be the first company I drop.
It's a slippery slope folks. Coming from someone who grew up with the original Atari 2600 be wary
of embracing the "all digital future".

You have a LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF YOUR
PURCHASED VIDEO GAMES! The industry doesn't like that and thus the major push for streaming.

It should be obvious by now what happens when Live and the PSN Network go down. You mysteriously lose
access to all your digital game downloads you *THINK* you own. That little lock icon above or below the title
when their DRM internet service goes down should be a big red flag.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They way they’ve approached this, with respect to prioritizing local downloads over streaming for now, combined with the strategic advantage of Azure and their network architecture teams, sure does give them the best shot of the big three for now.

If they can learn to manage content teams better, they’re well poised to win that monicker and the resulting lucarative business. They certainly would do better by it than Apple or Amazon, at least.

Local downloads is and will probably be limited to Xbox, which sucks if you have no interest in streaming games.

Gavon West

Why not? If MAUs and subscriptions are all that matters, why wouldn't you want your hardware-agnostic streaming service on a platform with 10s of millions of potential gamer customers? Whether Sony or Nintendo want the streaming app on their device is another matter entirely.

The loyal Xbox fans will still buy Microsoft's hardware, anyway.
Again, this isnt true. Gamers are so out of touch with how basic business principals work. This post just solidifies that.

10's of million of potential gamers can be obtained without needing to put your service or games on your competitors platform. There are other ways (Xcloud streaming will show this in the near future) to accomplish this. A big corporation like Microsoft doesnt need to act in desperation by attempting to plug into Sony and Nintendo's fanbase in that manner. There are other ways - what you're suggesting isnt it.

Gavon West

I totally disagree. Look at what Microsoft has done with Minecraft; they didn't pull it off of other platforms but rather worked Xbox Live membership into them. When you play Minecraft on Switch, you log in with your Microsoft account.

It is inevitable that Microsoft will move to streaming on mobile and competing consoles; it's really just a question of if Sony and Nintendo will allow it. Microsoft would love for everyone on any device to be a Microsoft customer. Subscription revenue is their entire focus as a company, and as Microsoft 365 rolls out, that'll hold true for literally everything from gaming to the OS and beyond.
No, breh. Just....no.

Minecraft was huge to begin with. That's the reason why it continues to stay on other platforms but, this is the exception not the rule. This is still a business and they still have competitors. If Microsoft wanted to push this initiative, they would've started this a long time ago. Crossplay with other platforms, Play anywhere etc are more in line with what you're suggesting. To out right think they'll end up putting their services on their competitors platforms is just another way of saying Microsoft will eventually get out of the console business - that's just not going to happen. They've said it and proved it numerous times.

"But it could happen" or "Sony or Nintendo could allow it" is all I ever hear. Even if Sony or Nintendo wanted such a thing wouldve put forth an agenda to make this happen. They haven't tho. Sometimes silence on a particular subject like this one is your answer all its own. Not just silence - dead silence - for decades. Im fact, the discussion has never come about by Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony....EVER! To add to that, they've all expressed more evidence that this will never happen rather than there's even a slight chance of this happening.

Last edited:
Again, this isnt true. Gamers are so out of touch with how basic business principals work. This post just solidifies that.

10's of million of potential gamers can be obtained without needing to put your service or games on your competitors platform. There are other ways (Xcloud streaming will show this in the near future) to accomplish this. A big corporation like Microsoft doesnt need to act in desperation by attempting to plug into Sony and Nintendo's fanbase in that manner. There are other ways - what you're suggesting isnt it.
Nice mischaracterization. It's not that I'm "out of touch". It's that I am listening to Microsoft's own words.

Is Netflix on everything, or only on Netflix-built boxes? You tell me.

You're too emotionally invested in the Xbox brand.

When you say that Microsoft putting their games on Sony and Nintendo platforms is "desperation", you are clearly incapable of setting aside your brand loyalty for the sake of reality. Why would reaching out to gigantic audiences be "desperation"? Was Microsoft desperate when they reached out to the PC audience with the Xbox brand?

It really shows how "out of touch" you are when you say:

10's of million of potential gamers can be obtained without needing to put your service or games on your competitors platform.

Microsoft doesn't view Sony and Nintendo as competition. Google and Apple are their competition.

I think the only part missing from your post is something about "honor and shame are huge parts of Microsoft's culture".

Gavon West

Nice mischaracterization. It's not that I'm "out of touch". It's that I am listening to Microsoft's own words.

Is Netflix on everything, or only on Netflix-built boxes? You tell me.

You're too emotionally invested in the Xbox brand.

When you say that Microsoft putting their games on Sony and Nintendo platforms is "desperation", you are clearly incapable of setting aside your brand loyalty for the sake of reality. Why would reaching out to gigantic audiences be "desperation"? Was Microsoft desperate when they reached out to the PC audience with the Xbox brand?

It really shows how "out of touch" you are when you say:

Microsoft doesn't view Sony and Nintendo as competition. Google and Apple are their competition.

I think the only part missing from your post is something about "honor and shame are huge parts of Microsoft's culture".
My statement doesnt come from some emotional place about Microsoft or Xbox. Gimme a fucking break. It's just video games. I hardly game today as it is.

When they say "The Netflix of Gaming" they arent talking about in the way of putting their services on competing platforms like Sony or Nintendo. Are you even serious with that right now??? Oh, wait. You mean as in "But it could happen", right?? Lol

They are talking about having a service filled with exclusive, 3rd and 2nd party content to keep the fanbase on THEIR OWN platform and keep them as customers - like Netflix. This is games not movies, FFS.

Hell, even streaming coming later this year is to give the established fanbase more options of where to play and give other gamers the option of plugging into their service without needing to buy the console itself (like Sony and Nintendo fans) - not excluding casual gamers who arent hardcore and just want to play on their smartphones or tablets while on the go.

And what I said about Google, Amazon are true. Phil said it himself. Try again.

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

Why would any 3rd party publisher sign on to give up an actual sale vs some tiny percentage of a cut from the sub fee? Plus games are fundamentally different than movies. Even a small game takes years to make. You can’t churn them out like Netflix can original content.

Gavon West

Why would any 3rd party publisher sign on to give up an actual sale vs some tiny percentage of a cut from the sub fee? Plus games are fundamentally different than movies. Even a small game takes years to make. You can’t churn them out like Netflix can original content.

Exposure. Marketing. Game streaming. Think long term and it makes sense. IT's why Microsoft puts their 1st party games day-and-date on Gamepass. It actually helps with sales and the longer customers stay subbed, the better chance for success.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Go for it. If those who want to spend money on it, they should be able to. I just hope they don't focus on this over physical releases. The day gaming goes digital only is the day I quit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they can go for it. knock themselves out.

personally speaking, i wasted several hours of my life trying to get XBOX Live and my Microsoft account to talk to each other so i could play Star Wars: Battlefront II. i ended up getting a refund after having zero luck. i couldn't even install the game, their infrastructure is so batshit, and the website was no help at all.

dirthead

Banned
Replacing Ss with dollar signs is pretty dumb, but let's not pretend that Microsoft hasn't earned every bit of ire that it gets. They really are a trashy company. Having said that, I dislike Nintendo even more than I dislike Microsoft, and I'd say that I dislike Sony about as much as I dislike Microsoft. They can all burn.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Yet people still watch the office 613 times. 🤔

Fake

Everything has to have a beginning.

The infrastructure is not there yet for universal game streaming, but maybe a few genres can be covered. And in the future, a lot of games could be streamed. Of course, it will never work well across the board, but it's still a neat idea worth pursuing. Particularly for a company like Microsoft.

I disagree. You see, you don't 'interact' with movies, so is easy to just 'stream' data. You can set auto video buffering, so between 480p until 4k depend of your internet.

Gaming is a far more challenge. Latency, input lag, playing multiplayer on a stream game (GIGA CHALLENGE)... All those interactions with the user can't be compared with movie streaming.
Even if in a far future we have a better service we still be cursed by the internet limitations + gaming demands.

Top Bottom