• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to be the "Netflix of Gaming"

Elenchus

Banned
Looks like you're trying to pass off your opinions as proof with literally no support whatsoever. PS Now is contributing to the success of Sony, but you're trying to claim it's a failure.

Unless you have data to support the fact that it's a failure, then do it.

They're the main ones offering streaming services, so do you have any proof that they cannot improve? Or you're just spreading the same claims that other fanboys are doing on here without knowing what Sony has planned in the future?

I need 1) Sony is not and cannot improve PS Now and 2) Proof that PS Now is a failure.

Edit:

That's not how it works. It's going to take years for streaming to be the norm in gaming, which is why the causal market will adapt slowly. That's how streaming is going to work. They will most certainly push next gen even harder when companies really start to compete.

I would clearly take his word over the market than yours as you have a proven to be bias.

You continue to dodge the issue of why it was pulled off all those devices. It was pitched by House at CES as a means to reach non-console owners. Now it’s just PS4 & PC. If so many were adopting it on all of those devices and sales were as high as you claim, why interrupt that pulling it off those devices? Simple question.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You continue to dodge the issue of why it was pulled off all those devices. It was pitched by House at CES as a means to reach non-console owners. Now it’s just PS4 & PC. If so many were adopting it on all of those devices and sales were as high as you claim, why interrupt that pulling it off those devices? Simple question.

I'm not dodging anything, you are. I asked you to provide evidence that it's a failure and you're not doing it.

It's simple and I don't see why you're having such a difficult time understanding what's going on.

1) Their plan is to still put PS Now on all devices.
2) They continue to try and explain the cloud service.

Shouldn't that be clear enough that they're not leaving those devices behind that it could be only temporary? As high as I claim? I posted evidence that it's preform well, even though it's niche, you're the one who called it a failure.

You called it a failure. A failure is something that wasn't successful or will not be successful.

Reports we have so far suggest otherwise and you're just spewing nonsense.

Vawn

Banned

Superdata.jpg

I love how these facts of PS Now's success genuinely upsets you

Simple answer - Sony doesn't have the software engineering oomph that Microsoft has. Sony's strength is in the IPs they own as well as having released PlayStation all those years ago and having those anime-game partnerships. Sony is strong on content and content-relationships. Microsoft is strong on platform and shoring up content weakness.

Simple answer - Sony doesn't have the software engineering oomph that Microsoft has. Sony's strength is in the IPs they own as well as having released PlayStation all those years ago and having those anime-game partnerships. Sony is strong on content and content-relationships. Microsoft is strong on platform and shoring up content weakness.
Yeah, this really is a simple answer using nothing but generalizations.

PSNow is real and is currently available to test out and critique. Does MS have a streaming service that you can test to compare?

Nothing wrong with really (really, REALLY) loving a brand so much that you give them the benefit of the doubt. However, seems silly to declare Sony out of the game-streaming biz when they currently rule it.

bitbydeath

You obviously have a clear lack of understanding of how a global infrastructure works and how it is essential to execute a successful global streaming service. if you think that Sony are not woefully behind MS with their network infrastructure then you need to do some research. The Azure cloud is Microsoft's ace in the hole as far as their game streaming plans go. They can happily use the datacentres and add their own Xbox custom hardware such as Xbox based blades into the datacentre cabinets without having to worry about bleeding excessive profits to a third party. Just to put it into scale, Azure alone makes more revenue than all of Sony put together. There is no way that Sony can compete on a level ground toe to toe with Microsoft. Sony can use one of the big global clouds themselves but it would be as a third party customer along with the downside that come with it such as the usage cost eating into their profit margin. For Xbox it would be far cheaper and easier not least because they have the over arching CEO firmly behind the streaming plan.

Sony doesn’t need infrastructure the size of Azure as Azure is not built for only Xbox. Xbox will be a very tiny portion of Azure and Sony only needs enough servers to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Yes, Microsoft already have a large data centre and No Sony are not trying to compete with them on that level.

Elenchus

Banned
I'm not dodging anything, you are. I asked you to provide evidence that it's a failure and you're not doing it.

It's simple and I don't see why you're having such a difficult time understanding what's going on.

1) Their plan is to still put PS Now on all devices.
2) They continue to try and explain the cloud service.

Shouldn't that be clear enough that they're not leaving those devices behind that it could be only temporary? As high as I claim? I posted evidence that it's preform well, even though it's niche, you're the one who called it a failure.

You called it a failure. A failure is something that wasn't successful or will not be successful.

Reports we have so far suggest otherwise and you're just spewing nonsense.

No idea why you guys are getting so emotional but I’m just gonna tap out because when you get upset the only person that’s gonna tapped on the shoulder by the mods will be me—GAF being GAF.

But I’ll just say this. The stated goal was reaching all devices. It did not accomplish that goal. Hence, it failed. It’s a shell of what it was announced to be. Don’t get so hung up on a word. The underlying idea is more important than the label we give it.

Try to relax. Go play an exclusive and imagine I can’t play it too. You’ll feel better. Lol.

Elenchus

Banned
Superdata.jpg

I love how these facts of PS Now's success genuinely upsets you

Am I upset though? 🤔 Think maybe you’re transferring feelings of your own. You just posted a chart showing a single quarter for a service that has been out for 5 years.

What conclusion would you like me to draw from that single quarter? Also who made that chart and where did they get the data displayed in it?

You need to dig a bit deeper I think.

bitbydeath

Am I upset though? 🤔 Think maybe you’re transferring feelings of your own. You just posted a chart showing a single quarter for a service that has been out for 5 years.

What conclusion would you like me to draw from that single quarter? Also who made that chart and where did they get the data displayed in it?

PS4 has roughly 3x the install base of Xbox One so it makes sense why there would be such a difference in subscription size.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

The whole problem on Neogaf these days is that you guys are trying to ignore everything. It almost looks like you want to bury Sony slowly. Afraid of the facts?

Is that the reason we are seeing threads like:

- "How bad Uncharted is"
- "Why is Sony not at the E3, they are doomed next-gen"
- "Why do they only make single player story driven games"

It's almost as if you guys are so scared that Microsoft will fuck up again, so you guys just "Downplay every thing Sony has done in recent years", so that it makes you feel any better.

- PSVR - "meh"
- PSNow - "what's that, can i eat it?"
- Remoteplay over internet - "But Microsoft will do this and that with XCloud, Sony has no engineers, Sony has no datacenter etc etc"

But when it's about XCloud, you guys acting like that shit runs the world or something atm. Peoples dick already getting hard when some random dev is going to work for a studio.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
The whole problem on Neogaf these days is that you guys are trying to ignore everything. It almost looks like you want to bury Sony slowly. Afraid of the facts?

Is that the reason we are seeing threads like:

- "How bad Uncharted is"
- "Why is Sony not at the E3, they are doomed next-gen"
- "Why do they only make single player story driven games"

It's almost as if you guys are so scared that Microsoft will fuck up again, so you guys just "Downplay every thing Sony has done in recent years", so that it makes you feel any better.

- PSVR - "meh"
- PSNow - "what's that, can i eat it?"
- Remoteplay over internet - "But Microsoft will do this and that with XCloud, Sony has no engineers, Sony has no datacenter etc etc"

But when it's about XCloud, you guys acting like that shit runs the world or something atm. Peoples dick already getting hard when some random dev is going to work for a studio.

Is this like a response to my questions...or just like a mental breakdown? No earthly clue what you’re talking about.

cdthree

Anyone else think that Microsoft should separate their streaming box from the Xbox and sell it as a competitor to Roku and Amazon Fire TV? Maybe have all the major gaming services on it?

tryDEATH

Last of Us, Uncharted 4, MLB The Show, GT Sports are multiplayer games Sony has created and they'll have another with Death Stranding and Last of Us Part II coming in the near future. They also have been rumored to be working on a multiplayer title, so it's like Sony is immune to creating multiplayer games.

Both LoU and U4 are marketed and presented almost exclusively as single player experiences and the multiplayer element is simply slapped on. The retention rate of the original SP base that then converts into a consistent MP base is minuscule and almost no existent after a couple of months after release.

GT Sport is a great game with a really exceptional racing system that I wish Forza would iterate on and add in the next game, but even that game has very limited experiences when it comes to the MP element where Forza just far outshines it with the options and variations available to race friends and people online. As for MLB that is a true gem for baseball/sport fans a great game and truly one of the few exclusive games that you can't get anything even remotely in that quality.

As for Xbox they have Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Forza Motorsport 6/7, Forza Horizon 3/4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Ashen, Halo Wars 2, and Titanfall and that is what many people consider a "horrible" 1st party Xbox One generation. Almost every single game in that list offers a better and more tailor-made MP experience than the of the Sony titles you listed.

Sony simply doesn't offer the same MP gameplay loop and quality that is required to entice gamers to keep coming back for more. This is nothing new and its how it always been and unless there is going to be a serious shift in Sony's vision for next generation it is going to stay so for the foreseeable future.

quickwhips

- Microsoft introduced payed online gaming to the market. If it wasn't for them we could still play online games on console without having to pay a monthly subscription.
- Microsoft introduced timed exclusives. Now we have to live with this cancer of having to wait month for content to be released for another console. The funny thing: despite saying they hate it, they did it again with PUBG.
- Microsoft has killed and ruined some of the best gaming studios in the industry including Rare, Mistwalker and Lionhead.
- If it went according to Microsoft's plan we wouldn't be able to resell or trade our games anymore.
- All the money Microsoft earned didn't benefit the industry at all. Nintendo and Sony at least invested into some of the industry defining games of this console generation. While Microsoft just sucks money out of the industry without reinvesting into it. All they do is releasing sequels for their existing games without innovating on them.

The only good thing Microsoft did was to humble Sony during the PS3 era. That being said, I'd still be fine with paying 500-600$ for a console if I didn't have to pay a monthly sub to play online.
So your saying is your view is biased. Sony or Nintendo would do the same stuff and have. No one was forced to charge for online. Unless your saying Microsoft held a gun to sony’s Head?

What is this mania about reselling/trading games anyways? In PC world this never existed to begin with and especially since Steam. But muh traditional console gaming... nobody cares.

Rookje

I'll NEVER give up physical releases. The first company that does, will be the first company I drop.
It's a slippery slope folks. Coming from someone who grew up with the original Atari 2600 be wary
of embracing the "all digital future".

You have a LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF YOUR
PURCHASED VIDEO GAMES! The industry doesn't like that and thus the major push for streaming.

It should be obvious by now what happens when Live and the PSN Network go down. You mysteriously lose
access to all your digital game downloads you *THINK* you own. That little lock icon above or below the title
when their DRM internet service goes down should be a big red flag.
How many Blu-rays did you buy this year?

I'll NEVER give up physical releases. The first company that does, will be the first company I drop.
It's a slippery slope folks. Coming from someone who grew up with the original Atari 2600 be wary
of embracing the "all digital future".

You have a LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF YOUR
PURCHASED VIDEO GAMES! The industry doesn't like that and thus the major push for streaming.

It should be obvious by now what happens when Live and the PSN Network go down. You mysteriously lose
access to all your digital game downloads you *THINK* you own. That little lock icon above or below the title
when their DRM internet service goes down should be a big red flag.

So if Microsoft releases 3 SKUs: Streaming(no disc), Standard & High(with BluRay) will you boycott because one of them is w/o disc? Is it a puritanical thing against a whole brand?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Both LoU and U4 are marketed and presented almost exclusively as single player experiences and the multiplayer element is simply slapped on. The retention rate of the original SP base that then converts into a consistent MP base is minuscule and almost no existent after a couple of months after release.

GT Sport is a great game with a really exceptional racing system that I wish Forza would iterate on and add in the next game, but even that game has very limited experiences when it comes to the MP element where Forza just far outshines it with the options and variations available to race friends and people online. As for MLB that is a true gem for baseball/sport fans a great game and truly one of the few exclusive games that you can't get anything even remotely in that quality.

As for Xbox they have Halo 5, Gears of War 4, Forza Motorsport 6/7, Forza Horizon 3/4, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Ashen, Halo Wars 2, and Titanfall and that is what many people consider a "horrible" 1st party Xbox One generation. Almost every single game in that list offers a better and more tailor-made MP experience than the of the Sony titles you listed.

Sony simply doesn't offer the same MP gameplay loop and quality that is required to entice gamers to keep coming back for more. This is nothing new and its how it always been and unless there is going to be a serious shift in Sony's vision for next generation it is going to stay so for the foreseeable future.

No, multiplayer isn't just "slapped on" it's really good and that's why many people enjoy it. This means they're capable of making multiplayer games.

I play TLOU multiplayer every now and then and matches are quick and easy to find. We don't know what they're going to do with TLOU2's multiplayer, but I know many people that are looking forward to it.

MLB is a yearly series and it's the only baseball game on the market that receive praise from many baseball fans. I believe it was rumored that they hired a multiplayer director or something from Rainbow Six Siege and it's possible we'll see more multiplayer games in the future.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No idea why you guys are getting so emotional but I’m just gonna tap out because when you get upset the only person that’s gonna tapped on the shoulder by the mods will be me—GAF being GAF.

But I’ll just say this. The stated goal was reaching all devices. It did not accomplish that goal. Hence, it failed. It’s a shell of what it was announced to be. Don’t get so hung up on a word. The underlying idea is more important than the label we give it.

Try to relax. Go play an exclusive and imagine I can’t play it too. You’ll feel better. Lol.

Oh, so you don't have any proof that it failed, and nothing more than just an opinion?

lol.

They just announced that PS now is available in other regions and there's nothing to suggest that they will not put PS Now on anymore devices.

I'm sure people are relax and we're all just shaking our heads at someone who pretend that they know everything.

Elenchus

Banned
Yes you do.

I didn’t mention any of the topics he listed and I am not responsible for his
Oh, so you don't have any proof that it failed, and nothing more than just an opinion?

lol.

They just announced that PS now is available in other regions and there's nothing to suggest that they will not put PS Now on anymore devices.

I'm sure people are relax and we're all just shaking our heads at someone who pretend that they know everything.

You mean aside from them pulling it off of every device in 2017 and not announcing any plans since then to reverse that decision? Sure. Ok. Should be back on everything any day now chief. 👌

Mattyp

Gold Member
Netflix is a platform that already HAS a ton of great movies and CAN have all the movies. Movies aren't limited to a single platform. Video game is. Xbox will never get Sony, Microsoft, and PC exclusives unless they recreate those games on the Xbox platform. Good luck with that even if they get approval and license.

If I didn't make my analogy any clearer, here's another one more emphasized on the disparity of Netflix and Game Pass.

Let's say the upcoming The Last of Us Part 2 is like Avengers 5. Imagine if Netflix wasn't going to get Avengers 5. Netflix would already be lacking missing out this one movie that everyone is looking forward to.

But Netflix has the Marvel movies, Black Panther, Spiderman, Infinity War, and all other great movies of last year. Imagine if Netflix didn't have any of them. That's Game Pass.
And that's because Game Pass will never get God of War, Spiderman, Detroit, Yakuza, Astrobot, Dragon Quest, Tetris Effect, Pokemon, or Smash Bros.
Heck, it doesn't even have Red Dead Redemption 2 right now, much less Grand Theft Auto V.

Game Pass can't be the Netflix of gaming when it's going to miss out on all the best games of every year.

Did you miss my response or just completely ignore it? Each console having each other's killer exclusives goes both ways. Just because you're not a fan of Forza/Halo and Gears doesn't mean millions aren't. Sony isn't going to get Pokemon & Smash either.

Netflix will be loosing all current Marvel and future Marvel content soon enough, I have no idea why you keep mentioning that ignoring what Disney has it the works. Will you stop using Netflix the moment it looses all Disneys property all the marvel movies (Trash movies but personal choices etc) The Simpsons, Bob's Burger's, American Dad etc? When they part ways they will loose massive amounts of popular content, and it's why their investing so heavily in their own content so they don't need to rely on anyone else. And its why Microsoft is buying up every decent studio available, 3rd party in the end will hold no sway on who signs up to these services and will all come down to the first party showdown in the years to come.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You mean aside from them pulling it off of every device in 2017 and not announcing any plans since then to reverse that decision? Sure. Ok. Should be back on everything any day now chief. 👌

You said it failed, looks like they're continue to improve on PS Now, you know, the same PS Now you claimed "failed."

You don't continue to support a fail product. Play word games all you want, but you literally made that claim with no facts whatsoever.

tryDEATH

No, multiplayer isn't just "slapped on" it's really good and that's why many people enjoy it. This means they're capable of making multiplayer games.

I play TLOU multiplayer every now and then and matches are quick and easy to find. We don't know what they're going to do with TLOU2's multiplayer, but I know many people that are looking forward to it.

MLB is a yearly series and it's the only baseball game on the market that receive praise from many baseball fans. I believe it was rumored that they hired a multiplayer director or something from Rainbow Six Siege and it's possible we'll see more multiplayer games in the future.

The point I made is that Xbox is already a well-oiled machine when it comes to producing MP centric games, something Sony isn't and that isn't up for debate. Having a game mode here and there in their games line up doesn't somehow position their games as MP.

If you look through their 1st party line up you will see Sony has worked very hard to position themselves as the SP platform. It is something they are at this point synonymous with and based on what we have seen from them with their upcoming games that is a formula they will keep on going with as nothing in the future line up points to otherwise.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The point I made is that Xbox is already a well-oiled machine when it comes to producing MP centric games, something Sony isn't and that isn't up for debate. Having a game mode here and there in their games line up doesn't somehow position their games as MP.

If you look through their 1st party line up you will see Sony has worked very hard to position themselves as the SP platform. It is something they are at this point synonymous with and based on what we have seen from them with their upcoming games that is a formula they will keep on going with as nothing in the future line up points to otherwise.

Your point was clear and you were wrong. You tried to make it out like TLOU and Uncharted multiplayer wasn't a big deal and called it "slapped on." It's just like others on here who called TLOU's multiplayer tacked on without have any knowledge of how good the game is online. You thought UC4 and TLOU's multiplayer wasn't that good because you thought it was a single player focus game and didn't believe the multiplayer was good enough.

If the multiplayer games are good, then don't try hard to downplay it to make it seem like it's irrelevant.

I currently don't believe that this kind of business model will lead to high quality AAA single player experiences, which is what I am most interested in.
Rather it will lead to GAAS type games and smaller experiences.
But we will see how it turns out.

tryDEATH

Your point was clear and you were wrong. You tried to make it out like TLOU and Uncharted multiplayer wasn't a big deal and called it "slapped on." It's just like others on here who called TLOU's multiplayer tacked on without have any knowledge of how good the game is online. You thought UC4 and TLOU's multiplayer wasn't that good because you thought it was a single player focus game and didn't believe the multiplayer was good enough.

If the multiplayer games are good, then don't try hard to downplay it to make it seem like it's irrelevant.

If that is what you truly believe nothing I say will change your mind. However, I sure anticipate seeing TLOU2 break MP charts with tens of thousands of avid MP players over an extended period, considering how great TLOU MP is according to you, maybe we will even see it break through on twitch.

But in the meanwhile, maybe check out some Xbox 1st MP games and see what they are offering as MP experience, you just might be surprised and it could potentially even lead to reconsider what qualifies as great MP. There is this one game called HALO MC maybe check that out heard it isn't that bad.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If that is what you truly believe nothing I say will change your mind. However, I sure anticipate seeing TLOU2 break MP charts with tens of thousands of avid MP players over an extended period, considering how great TLOU MP is according to you, maybe we will even see it break through on twitch.

But in the meanwhile, maybe check out some Xbox 1st MP games and see what they are offering as MP experience, you just might be surprised and it could potentially even lead to reconsider what qualifies as great MP. There is this one game called HALO MC maybe check that out heard it isn't that bad.

So you never actually played TLOU multiplayer and your post is based on pure ignorance?

lol.

You're acting like a true fanboy. I've played Xbox multiplayer game for years on the 360 and I do have an Xbox One. I know what makes a good multiplayer, but somehow you think Twitch videos is a good indicator of that. lol

Before you brush it aside and call it "slapped on," at least play it first.

tryDEATH

So you never actually played TLOU multiplayer and your post is based on pure ignorance?

lol.

You're acting like a true fanboy. I've played Xbox multiplayer game for years on the 360 and I do have an Xbox One. I know what makes a good multiplayer, but somehow you think Twitch videos is a good indicator of that. lol

Before you brush it aside and call it "slapped on," at least play it first.

Actually, I played TLOU and it had the same issue as Tomb Raider. The shooting had no weight to it, precision and hit detection was mediocre at best, and it just felt janky when it came to PvP encounters in head to head gunfights. The maneuverability and precision was simply lacking as it does in so many 3rd person shooters that don't actually account and design their gunplay for PvP. TLOU shooting was fine and felt solid in the SP, but once you introduce the human element in PvP, the pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed. It certainly was different than your regular MP, but it was not a game you would play due to great shooting and gameplay mechanics. It is nothing compared to Gears of War a true 3rd person shooting game.

The only fanboy in here is you just like in every other thread where you have to white knight Sony's honor. Twitch is basically your trendsetter at this time and moment, something that is enjoyable and good to play will certainly be covered on twitch and garner a following, just saying if TLOU MP was so great as you said I certainly expect to see TLOU2 MP to be popular in today's gaming sphere and especially on twitch.

My PC motherboard died recently so in the interim whilst I sourced another one (old z97m boards are thin on the ground these days) my friend gave me a a beta code for Nvidia's GeForce Now. Basically you launch Steam through a remote desktop then once you're in you have access to all your games so it's the same as just using big picture mode - you can also launch games individually where they have their own instance, as well as Uplay games and Blizzard's launcher, but this is a pain as if you want to switch games you have to quit the remote desktop and restart it instead of just switching games through Steam. You get a warning if you download an unsupported game and have to re-download unsupported games between sessions but as download speeds are blazingly fast it generally doesn't take any more than a few minutes.

During this period I never felt more like a console player. I couldn't tinker with any of the games (which I always do before playing a game proper on PC), just launch and play. Because of this straightjacket I got through a lot of games. The latency wasn't too bad (comparing my previous experience with streaming with onlive years ago) and my brain was able to adjust. That being said, since getting my PC back up and running I have not used it once, even though I can play games at higher settings on GeForce Now. I like the feeling of personal control I have over gaming on PC, getting it set up just right and especially using mods.

IMO game streaming can never and will never take the place of enthusiast PC gaming, but I can easily see it turning the console business on its head, for people who don't care about tinkering and just want things to work. Console gaming will just become walled garden PC gaming, and I can see the main front end service that will win will essentially be a meta service aping a PC desktop experience, that will make it easiest to navigate between all the walled gardens that will proliferate.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
MP in TLOU is fucking awesome and whoever saying otherwise has no clue what he's talking about, that simple.

But yes, it's also crystal clear that Microsoft has positioned themselves as a MP-first company same as Sony has done with Single-player-story-focused games. The "Netflix" model is a better fit to MP games. You cannot produce AAA single player games and then give them away on your service for 10 usd.

My problem with this type of service or business model is that I cannot see how AAA SP games are feasible with it and I don't want an industry dominated by MP games with no story and microtransactions. NO, thanks.

What I 'd do is a mix-proposal with MP on the service and SP out of it.

CeeJay

MP in TLOU is fucking awesome and whoever saying otherwise has no clue what he's talking about, that simple.

But yes, it's also crystal clear that Microsoft has positioned themselves as a MP-first company same as Sony has done with Single-player-story-focused games. The "Netflix" model is a better fit to MP games. You cannot produce AAA single player games and then give them away on your service for 10 usd.

My problem with this type of service or business model is that I cannot see how AAA SP games are feasible with it and I don't want an industry dominated by MP games with no story and microtransactions. NO, thanks.

What I 'd do is a mix-proposal with MP on the service and SP out of it.

MP is definitely a better fit for it than SP but I think that a AAA episodic SP model would also work equally as well. Hitman would have been perfect on a subscription service with new levels releasing periodically as well as the limited timed events. Throw in some quality indies and you have a well rounded service.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
MP is definitely a better fit for it than SP but I think that a AAA episodic SP model would also work equally as well. Hitman would have been perfect on a subscription service with new levels releasing periodically as well as the limited timed events. Throw in some quality indies and you have a well rounded service.

Be careful with episodic. That's a Pandora's box we rather not open, believe me. That is giving the chance to companies of launching barebone games at full price, under the premise of a future development. Also, it makes it possible for the cyber-bullies to determine the plot, as it is already happening in Assassins Creed. That will be the end of SP videogames as we know it. I can imagine polls on reddit about how the plotline of TLOU should go and it gives me the creeps. In the end, companies would make bland-generic stories that could be easily adjusted and maluable to the whining crowd. Hardcore videogame fans like us would loss in that scenario.

If I were Sony I would throw in music and cinema, for a mixed entertainment service, excluding new AAA SP games.

Microsoft is in the better position for this which is also why they are so hard on streaming. Their future true competitors are not Sony or Nintendo but Google, Amazon or Facebook. I just hope Nintendo and Sony don't bite on that and stick to their core value proposal.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Microsoft is in the better position for this which is also why they are so hard on streaming. Their future true competitors are not Sony or Nintendo but Google, Amazon or Facebook. I just hope Nintendo and Sony don't bite on that and stick to their core value proposal.

You're still missing the point. Streaming is MS way into the hyper-lucrative mobile space. The reason why its getting so much funding is less about Xbox than the failure of Windows Phone.

An Xcloud based app on every phone and tablet is the goal. They've been enviously watching Apple make a fortune for years, a company that overtly does not give a fuck about about gaming that nonetheless makes billions from it.

CeeJay

Be careful with episodic. That's a Pandora's box we rather not open, believe me. That is giving the chance to companies of launching barebone games at full price, under the premise of a future development. Also, it makes it possible for the cyber-bullies to determine the plot, as it is already happening in Assassins Creed. That will be the end of SP videogames as we know it. I can imagine polls on reddit about how the plotline of TLOU should go and it gives me the creeps. In the end, companies would make bland-generic stories that could be easily adjusted and maluable to the whining crowd. Hardcore videogame fans like us would loss in that scenario.

If I were Sony I would throw in music and cinema, for a mixed entertainment service, excluding new AAA SP games.

I agree to some extent that they would need to be careful with an episodic approach but with the right type of game it can work well. A heavy story driven SP like TLOU is not a good choice to go episodic for the reasons you mention. For a SP game where each episode is self contained while having some minor longer story arcs along the way I think it could be a good thing. I am thinking MGS GZ and Hitman as good examples. Games that would work well are IPs like Splinter Cell, Perfect Dark or Halo SP. Games where there are clearly defined separate self contained sandbox type levels with their own different themes and stories.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Actually, I played TLOU and it had the same issue as Tomb Raider. The shooting had no weight to it, precision and hit detection was mediocre at best, and it just felt janky when it came to PvP encounters in head to head gunfights. The maneuverability and precision was simply lacking as it does in so many 3rd person shooters that don't actually account and design their gunplay for PvP. TLOU shooting was fine and felt solid in the SP, but once you introduce the human element in PvP, the pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed. It certainly was different than your regular MP, but it was not a game you would play due to great shooting and gameplay mechanics. It is nothing compared to Gears of War a true 3rd person shooting game.

The only fanboy in here is you just like in every other thread where you have to white knight Sony's honor. Twitch is basically your trendsetter at this time and moment, something that is enjoyable and good to play will certainly be covered on twitch and garner a following, just saying if TLOU MP was so great as you said I certainly expect to see TLOU2 MP to be popular in today's gaming sphere and especially on twitch.

Well, it's clear that you've made stuff up as you were writing this post.

"The shooting had no weight to it"

Gears of War mechanics are made lighter due to how fast pace you're playing at online. You can literally aim a rile and it will not wobble at all, something that happens in TLOU. I played both and you cannot sit here and say the shooting had no weight it.

"The maneuverability and precision was simply lacking as it does in so many 3rd person"

Wait, you say the maneuverability and precision was simply lacking, yet the movement is literally more fluid in TLOU than it is in GoW? I played both. It's hard to change the movement in Gears because of it's hardcore fans, but to say TLOU maneuverability is lacking is downright hilarious.

Climbing, crouch walking, running, hopping over objects are all very fluid. Anyone who says it's lacking clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Maneuverability is very important in this game, especially online.

"once you introduce the human element in PvP, the pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed"

Pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed? What are you even talking about? The pacing is often slower online because it's strategic. Care to elaborate on this pacing issue because right now, it's like you don't know what you're even talking about.

"but it was not a game you would play due to great shooting and gameplay mechanics."

People play it BECAUSE of the mechanics. It's a strategic 3rd person shooter that relies heavily on stealth. This is what makes it different than most 3rd person shooters online. You can't say the shooting is fine in SP and then say it gets exposed online because it's literally the same mechanics that do not change.

"The only fanboy in here is you just like in every other thread where you have to white knight Sony's honor. "

No, you literally trying to downplay multiplayer games from Sony without having little to no knowledge of how these games work.

"TLOU2 MP to be popular in today's gaming sphere and especially on twitch"

This is mere how casuals speak. Twich views has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. This is the same argument many fanboys on here have made. TLOU multiplayer is over looked because many people focus on the single player, but that doesn't mean the multiplayer is not good. There are many people who have played it and enjoy it, which is a sign of a good multiplayer. There are many 2D fighters that get little to no twitch views, that doesn't mean it's a bad fighting game, it just means that it's not popular as the others. You're literally judging twitch views just to see how good a game is, and this is the type of stuff casuals like to pull.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Lol nobody watches netflix here for there own shows. they watch it because they can see movies without commercials and whenever they want on demand without having to walk through hoops or buy physical solutions or rent for extreme amounts of money.

That they create some new content is just a bonus and nothing more.
That is the stupidest thing I’ve read all day! If you loin online at reports Netflix actually dropped hundreds and hundreds of old movies and is instead now focusing on its own movies and TV shows as it is what people are watching according to their numbers.

People pay to watch Narcos and the Marvel shows and stuff like that, not to watch freakin Jurassic park without commercials lol

The super data is wrong for the revenue. Of PSNow so it is probably much smaller. And nobody will pay 100$ a year for a service they’ll barely use to play old PS1 games, they want first party and third party games available day 1 or else the service won’t succeed.

It’s not about quantity, it’s about quality and availability, which is what Ganepass is doing and why it’s gaining traction.

Also, streaming companies pay fees for the content they have that they don’t own, so if Sony starts adding all games of all gens except the latest one, it’ll cost them a fortune to maintain if they don’t have enough subscriptions.

bitbydeath

Yeah, it's not 3x, man, it's just over 2x.

Zhuge only knows NPD numbers, the rest he is guessing on like the rest of us and these guesses often lean towards fattening numbers instead of the alternative. If we take away the fat it is probably around 2.5x but yeah still not the 3x I had mentioned earlier.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
You're still missing the point. Streaming is MS way into the hyper-lucrative mobile space. The reason why its getting so much funding is less about Xbox than the failure of Windows Phone.

An Xcloud based app on every phone and tablet is the goal. They've been enviously watching Apple make a fortune for years, a company that overtly does not give a fuck about about gaming that nonetheless makes billions from it.

I know. In fact, the reason why Microsoft entered the videogame business is stopping Sony from being present in every home not only through gaming devices but software as well. And that is also the reason why Sony has not given up on xperia yet. They are waiting to sort out their own ecosystem (entertainment contents plus multiple hardware) so their mobile division may be part of it.
Kodera has already given hints on this.

tryDEATH

Well, it's clear that you've made stuff up as you were writing this post.

"The shooting had no weight to it"

Gears of War mechanics are made lighter due to how fast pace you're playing at online. You can literally aim a rile and it will not wobble at all, something that happens in TLOU. I played both and you cannot sit here and say the shooting had no weight it.

"The maneuverability and precision was simply lacking as it does in so many 3rd person"

Wait, you say the maneuverability and precision was simply lacking, yet the movement is literally more fluid in TLOU than it is in GoW? I played both. It's hard to change the movement in Gears because of it's hardcore fans, but to say TLOU maneuverability is lacking is downright hilarious.

Climbing, crouch walking, running, hopping over objects are all very fluid. Anyone who says it's lacking clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. Maneuverability is very important in this game, especially online.

"once you introduce the human element in PvP, the pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed"

Pacing and shooting mechanics start to get exposed? What are you even talking about? The pacing is often slower online because it's strategic. Care to elaborate on this pacing issue because right now, it's like you don't know what you're even talking about.

"but it was not a game you would play due to great shooting and gameplay mechanics."

People play it BECAUSE of the mechanics. It's a strategic 3rd person shooter that relies heavily on stealth. This is what makes it different than most 3rd person shooters online. You can't say the shooting is fine in SP and then say it gets exposed online because it's literally the same mechanics that do not change.

"The only fanboy in here is you just like in every other thread where you have to white knight Sony's honor. "

No, you literally trying to downplay multiplayer games from Sony without having little to no knowledge of how these games work.

"TLOU2 MP to be popular in today's gaming sphere and especially on twitch"

This is mere how casuals speak. Twich views has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. This is the same argument many fanboys on here have made. TLOU multiplayer is over looked because many people focus on the single player, but that doesn't mean the multiplayer is not good. There are many people who have played it and enjoy it, which is a sign of a good multiplayer. There are many 2D fighters that get little to no twitch views, that doesn't mean it's a bad fighting game, it just means that it's not popular as the others. You're literally judging twitch views just to see how good a game is, and this is the type of stuff casuals like to pull.

I stand by everything I said and I am far from a casual, shooters is primarily what I play and know about going back to Halo CE and R6:3BA so I certainly don''t need to lectured on what a good shooter is and what it is supposed to feel like. The fact your imagination is leading you to this grand delusion is something you will have to address yourself.

TLOU couldn't hold a candle to a majority of 3rd person shooters when it comes to the core mechanics and gameplay loop. The fact that is one of the only Sony titles that according to you is great, doesn't automatically make it so in the that particular genre. And as I said if it was that great it would have made more noise to begin with and grew in popularity instead it is liked by a small minority that had a whole PS3 population at the end of the generation yet it could latch on to it.

Stop trying to big it up as some sort of masterpiece that some how proves Sony could easily start spiting out MP games, but they just don't want to out of their kindness towards MS so go kick rocks somewhere else as I am sure Sony needs protecting in some other thread.

Top Bottom