• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft wants to be the "Netflix of Gaming"

nikolino840

I'll NEVER give up physical releases. The first company that does, will be the first company I drop.
It's a slippery slope folks. Coming from someone who grew up with the original Atari 2600 be wary
of embracing the "all digital future".

You have a LEGAL RIGHT TO MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF YOUR
PURCHASED VIDEO GAMES! The industry doesn't like that and thus the major push for streaming.

It should be obvious by now what happens when Live and the PSN Network go down. You mysteriously lose
access to all your digital game downloads you *THINK* you own. That little lock icon above or below the title
when their DRM internet service goes down should be a big red flag.

Plus..steam..of your connection go away you can't play,unless you predict the future and play offline in the option..but you can't shutdown your pc

mejin

“We have a structural position in that we have both a console business as well as a PC business, which happens to be bigger than the console business when it comes to gaming.”

I would need clarification here. They have both worlds (console and pc gaming) but they don't excel in any. That's why Sony and Valve beat them silly every year.

Anyway, things could change if the promised exclusive content is good.

mekes

Can't wait for the future with unplayable input lag in my fighting games.

Pessimism aside it does make sense to thoroughly explore this avenue. The internet isn't quite there yet but that doesn't mean it won't be in the near future. For me at least, living in a big city. Some type of games already run perfectly.

Lightsbane

The "Netflix" of gaming?

The more I hear about this stuff, the more I feel like gaming's moving away from me. I just want to buy a damn cartridge, stick it in the console, and play it.
All digital, games as services, subscriptions... bloody hell.

Bagofdicks

Neo Member
If they can keep the pricing as low as Netflix I se no problem with it. As long as he traditional model still exists along side it

FrankCaron

Gold Member
To out right think they'll end up putting their services on their competitors platforms is just another way of saying Microsoft will eventually get out of the console business - that's just not going to happen.

Agree to disagree with your perspective, but... this is nonsense. My position in no way implies that I think Microsoft will dip out of console hardware. On the contrary. The Surface line isn't the only hardware that runs Microsoft's OS, yet they still make it. Why? Because it's great hardware which is purpose-built to experience Microsoft's software products and will become a business that is / will be profitable unto itself. The Xbox console will be the same thing in the long run for the Microsoft 365 Gaming ecosystem.

Local downloads is and will probably be limited to Xbox, which sucks if you have no interest in streaming games.
And Windows OS-toting PCs, in the long run.

Last edited:
I don’t mind having physical and digital or even streaming on consoles, but I will have a serious problem the moment physical media becomes unavailable or is rendered obsolete. The “Netflix” of gaming is fine and even probably inevitable, but I will need physical games to go along side with it if it really does take off. I don’t exactly expect the gaming companies to be looking out for my best interest when it comes to digital and streaming. Sure, it’s more convenient and less clutter, but I will never figure out the new generation of gamers who are begging and embracing an all digital or streaming future.

Hinedorf

Banned
When I consider the major differences between movies and video games it all comes down to input responses.

I'm pretty sure real gamers are going to dump this product in the trash the moment they experience a few instances of input lag versus having a physical console and installed media.

I'm definitely the old man yelling at clouds thinking it can't be done until I see it happen, I'm sticking with streaming games being a complete disaster until I see that it's on a massive scale. Don't give me 1 person, don't give me 100 people, give me EVERYBODY during the holidays and then we'll know.

Last edited:
I totally disagree. Look at what Microsoft has done with Minecraft; they didn't pull it off of other platforms but rather worked Xbox Live membership into them. When you play Minecraft on Switch, you log in with your Microsoft account.

It is inevitable that Microsoft will move to streaming on mobile and competing consoles; it's really just a question of if Sony and Nintendo will allow it. Microsoft would love for everyone on any device to be a Microsoft customer. Subscription revenue is their entire focus as a company, and as Microsoft 365 rolls out, that'll hold true for literally everything from gaming to the OS and beyond.

Microsoft to allow streaming and their services on other consoles? Mobile or PCs? Sure. Consoles? I highly doubt Microsoft will allow that. IF that happened, I know they could make more money obviously, but then there will be literally no reason to own an Xbox platform. People already joke on Microsoft lacking exclusives and that decision will escalate the joke to new heights.

Microsoft to allow streaming and their services on other consoles? Mobile or PCs? Sure. Consoles? I highly doubt Microsoft will allow that. IF that happened, I know they could make more money obviously, but then there will be literally no reason to own an Xbox platform. People already joke on Microsoft lacking exclusives and that decision will escalate the joke to new heights.
That's not true.

A subset of Xbox fans will still be happy to pay for Microsoft-branded hardware, controllers, headsets, etc.

The "console sales" of the next Xbox wouldn't be as impressive as the X360 days, if they decide to go this route. However, Microsoft has already made it painfully clear that they aren't chasing victory in the "console wars" space.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
They've already landed the positioning on how they view this; they view the physical Xbox as the best place to play super high fidelity games. As streaming games become a thing, they're going to suit a certain audience who aren't hardcore gamers. The hardcore will be the audience that will go buy the Xbox 2 X for full 4K local high fidelity gaming. The larger group of "average" gamers will buy the low-end stream box or Xbox 2 S equivalent. The largest group of the rest? Streaming on whatever device they own.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Doesn't really affect me if they're still releasing disc products. As of right now I still think there are a multitude of problems to solve before streaming games is just as good as playing from a disc.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I disagree. You see, you don't 'interact' with movies, so is easy to just 'stream' data. You can set auto video buffering, so between 480p until 4k depend of your internet.

Gaming is a far more challenge. Latency, input lag, playing multiplayer on a stream game (GIGA CHALLENGE)... All those interactions with the user can't be compared with movie streaming.
Even if in a far future we have a better service we still be cursed by the internet limitations + gaming demands.

Yes, I agree with you. But they really want to make streaming as wide spread as possible. Why? Because they don't want you to own anything, including the real hardware.

It will NEVER be entirely suitable to a hundred percent of the games, and a lot of gamers will not adopt this. But they will make sure a significant number of people to buy into it. Like I said, it may only be suitable for certain kinds of games. Perhaps even specifically designed around streaming. But I have no doubt that it's going to happen in some way, a considerable degree.

Fake

Yes, I agree with you. But they really want to make streaming as wide spread as possible. Why? Because they don't want you to own anything, including the real hardware.

It will NEVER be entirely suitable to a hundred percent of the games, and a lot of gamers will not adopt this. But they will make sure a significant number of people to buy into it. Like I said, it may only be suitable for certain kinds of games. Perhaps even specifically designed around streaming. But I have no doubt that it's going to happen in some way, a considerable degree.
Yeah. I agree. Hope not too soon.

Gander

Banned
I don't know if this model works for games but it might be better than paying for DLC every time. I had frustrating weekend playing SF5 seeing all the characters I'd have to buy because it would take me seven years to unlock them on my own. I'm officially done with SF5, it's poor netcode, and it's characters you have to pay for eventually.

Night.Ninja

Banned
A lot of the comments in here are just wow, Zero forward thinking, letting a console war cloud your mind lol

imo it would be great for going on holiday plugging a stick into the tv and play my xbox collection, instead of having to lug around my console, its just more convenient. The big thing is the price.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft to allow streaming and their services on other consoles? Mobile or PCs? Sure. Consoles? I highly doubt Microsoft will allow that. IF that happened, I know they could make more money obviously, but then there will be literally no reason to own an Xbox platform

True, but how was this a good argument for Sony to push back on cross platform games then and against MS pushing back on the same topic the generation before?
In a way one would say that especially from a company pushing multiplatform streaming technology that the only pro consumer move is to support PS5 too ;).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A lot of the comments in here are just wow, Zero forward thinking, letting a console war cloud your mind lol

imo it would be great for going on holiday plugging a stick into the tv and play my xbox collection, instead of having to lug around my console, its just more convenient. The big thing is the price.

... and saying bye bye to used games and cheaper physical game prices while the publishers enjoy fatter profits as they cut the middle man off and your broandband bill rises ;).

That's not true.

A subset of Xbox fans will still be happy to pay for Microsoft-branded hardware, controllers, headsets, etc.

The "console sales" of the next Xbox wouldn't be as impressive as the X360 days, if they decide to go this route. However, Microsoft has already made it painfully clear that they aren't chasing victory in the "console wars" space.

I see what you are saying, but i would think the point of buying Microsoft branded hardware over the competition is to get access to exclusives games, features and experiences you cannot get anywhere else. Even if the next Xbox offered the best version of all software, your average gamer will not care as long as they can get access to the Xbox software library on their console of choice, especially if it’s of comparable quality.

Last edited:
True, but how was this a good argument for Sony to push back on cross platform games then and against MS pushing back on the same topic the generation before?
In a way one would say that especially from a company pushing multiplatform streaming technology that the only pro consumer move is to support PS5 too ;).

Sony probably saw little benefit in allowing cross play since they owned an immense portion of the market. Allowing all platforms to access Microsoft games would benefit the competition much more then crossplay would of benefitted Sony.

I'm not really into streaming games, but if the service allows locally downloading games I might be on board. Netflix continues to knock it out of the park with their made for netflix movies and shows.

TLZ

Banned
How can you possibly predict the future
Well, you can also direct this question at yourself and many others who say and think MS is already ahead of Sony in streaming games because Azure, even though they don't have such service currently while Sony already been running one for years.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony probably saw little benefit in allowing cross play since they owned an immense portion of the market. Allowing all platforms to access Microsoft games would benefit the competition much more then crossplay would of benefitted Sony.

... but it is still the same argument in a way really. Massive super ubiquitous multiplatform streaming solution, by xCloud’s most vocal fans PSNow does not even compare, and you prevent the PS5 players from joining in? Anti consumer should the media scream ;).

Not sure I will see many from the Sony is “super” evil for the lack of crossplay to say that xCloud would make MS “a bit” evil if xCloud excludes PS5 users ;).

The "Netflix" of gaming?

The more I hear about this stuff, the more I feel like gaming's moving away from me. I just want to buy a damn cartridge, stick it in the console, and play it.
All digital, games as services, subscriptions... bloody hell.

They are doing everything in their power to get rid of physical media which means less control and over ownership of games and to get long term commitment from gamers through subscriptions/microtransactions meaning constant revenue. I like advancement in technology as much as the next guy, but as soon as we start losing options and ownership, that’s when we get in trouble and the industry will make a turn for the worst.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Fucc it, im in. These new studios better make it worth the prtice of admission. Tired of spending 60 bucks on games. Too old for that shit. *hits confirm on Ace Combat 7*

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
... and saying bye bye to used games and cheaper physical game prices while the publishers enjoy fatter profits as they cut the middle man off and your broandband bill rises ;).
I’ve yet to see music CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays go away even though you can stream music and movies.

Have sales of physical media reduced tremendously? Sure! But it is still and will still be made available for those who prefer to own the real thing, in the same way I prefer owning 4K blu-rays, because the quality is better, but I do enjoy a lot of movie streaming anyway because it is incredibly convenient.

The gaming industry is the same, you will always have the option to do both, anyone thinking otherwise is incredibly close minded!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
“We have a structural position in that we have both a console business as well as a PC business, which happens to be bigger than the console business when it comes to gaming.”

I would need clarification here. They have both worlds (console and pc gaming) but they don't excel in any. That's why Sony and Valve beat them silly every year.

Anyway, things could change if the promised exclusive content is good.
There's more people on MS operating systems than there are Xbox's out in the wild. I think that's what he's talking about. Tell me more about the install base on the Valve OS.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's more people on MS operating systems than there are Xbox's out in the wild. I think that's what he's talking about. Tell me more about the install base on the Valve OS.

The point of streaming is to access beyond current MS controlled ecosystems, specifically the mobile spaces dominated by Apple and Google.

Everyone is looking at this the wrong way; MS is offering a service, and the biggest and most lucrative market for services is phone and mobile. That's the prize MS has their eyes on, games are just a means to end.

Even going back to their original Xbox One pitch, their goals have always been far bigger and more expansive than just winning a console war. Xbox is a Trojan horse to access the mass-market, not just the gaming market.

12Dannu123

They are doing everything in their power to get rid of physical media which means less control and over ownership of games and to get long term commitment from gamers through subscriptions/microtransactions meaning constant revenue. I like advancement in technology as much as the next guy, but as soon as we start losing options and ownership, that’s when we get in trouble and the industry will make a turn for the worst.

TBH no one gives no shit about the Loss of disc, people, especially younger generations generally don't buy disc anymore.

Winter John

Suits me fine. I could give a shit about discs and not having another console under the TV is very much a bonus. If MS can provide an affordable, lag free, Netflix style service I'll be happy to sign up.

TBH no one gives no shit about the Loss of disc, people, especially younger generations generally don't buy disc anymore.

Yeah, you are correct about most gamers, especially younger gamers caring about discs anymore, but in not sure how they will embrace streaming. Pretty sure you need adequate internet to get the best out of streaming games. Then again, we are probably a good ways off from an all digital future with data caps and fluctuations in internet speeds across the world.

Last edited:

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Yeah, you are correct about most gamers, especially younger gamers caring about discs anymore, but in not sure how they will embrace streaming. Pretty sure you need adequate internet to get the best out of streaming games. Then again, we are probably a good ways off from an all digital future with data caps and fluctuations in internet speeds across the world.
You mean, data caps and fluctuations in the US. Here in Canada, everyone I know has access to stable and unlimited Internet, heck even my mom has a 120Mbits unlimited package. I’ve been to Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, France, and Portugal and while I didn’t always have speeds as fast as that 120, it was always unlimited. Go in Asia and it’s the same situation.

Don’t know why companies in the US decided to go backwards and start implementing data caps while everyone else around the globe started doing otherwise to be honest. But it’s pointless to generalize when tons of places have no issues with data caps!

Also, MS is looking a lot into cellphone streaming where 720p will be plenty, even maybe 480p. As far as I know unlimited data plan for phones are available. I could see lots of people playing on their cellphones on their daily commute. I had a friend stream God of War from his PS4 across the internet on his laptop using LTE and it was playable.

The technology is already there and will be supported by some early on, and it can only grow from there! Lots of countries prioritize cellphone coverage, and I believe that is where MS is looking to expand the most with xCloud.

It will not be huge in the beginning, but this is a long term investment. Wouldn’t be surprised if at some point it’s implemented in Apple TVs, Rokus, TVs, Tablets, etc. This has loads of potential if done right.

Mista

Banned
I still love physical editions and stuff but unfortunately been switching to digital for the past year and a half now :(

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Even if the next Xbox offered the best version of all software, your average gamer will not care if can get access to the Xbox software library on his console of choice, especially if it’s of comparable quality.
MS's been talking up their strategy as becoming the "Netflix of games" - keeping it attached to a hardware ecosystem would only guarantee that will never happen.
And being attached to hardware will be that much more counter productive if this actually turns out to require software built FOR the online platform(the whole hybrid rendering/not totally cloud stuff that's been going around as the magic-pill for latency issues), as opposed to just streaming games.

Elenchus

Banned
Not entirely clear why folks keep desperately trying to force PS Now into the conversation. It’s been running for 5 yrs or so and very clearly has not become the Netflix of games.

It started out on many devices and is now down to PC and PS4 consoles. So as a service it’s retracting, not expanding.

It’s not even attempting to reach the same customers being targeted by MS, Google, & Amazon. Sony quit that race in the first few laps.

The only notable news about PS Now is that it copied the download feature from Game Pass but even that was unimpressive since the feature only works on some games.

So what exactly is the argument? That if PS Now runs for a few more years that it will outpace everyone merely because it exists? What exactly is supposed to happen to expand PS Now’s very limited reach?

Let’s just stop. The reason PS Now is not in the conversation is because it hasn’t earned the right to be. It’s a low priority project for Sony that lacks any actual ambition. It checks a box and shows they have a service.

But is anyone actually excited about PS Now or its prospects? Well if they were you wouldn’t have to keep begging for people to pay attention to it would you?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not entirely clear why folks keep desperately trying to force PS Now into the conversation. It’s been running for 5 yrs or so and very clearly has not become the Netflix of games.

It started out on many devices and is now down to PC and PS4 consoles. So as a service it’s retracting, not expanding.

It’s not even attempting to reach the same customers being targeted by MS, Google, & Amazon. Sony quit that race in the first few laps.

The only notable news about PS Now is that it copied the download feature from Game Pass but even that was unimpressive since the feature only works on some games.

So what exactly is the argument? That if PS Now runs for a few more years that it will outpace everyone merely because it exists? What exactly is supposed to happen to expand PS Now’s very limited reach?

Let’s just stop. The reason PS Now is not in the conversation is because it hasn’t earned the right to be. It’s a low priority project for Sony that lacks any actual ambition. It checks a box and shows they have a service.

But is anyone actually excited about PS Now or its prospects? Well if they were you wouldn’t have to keep begging for people to pay attention to it would you?

The current PSNow is more like a testbed for PS streaming service in the future. It was never something that needed more attention in those early years. I think they have enough knowledge inhouse to create a competitive streaming service for the next generations. Rumors are that they are working on a new cloud infrastructure for PSN in general.

What's so special about gamepass? It's a download store nothing more and nothing different from the normal Windows Store on the Xbox. Only difference is the subscription model on top of it. So how can they copy a feature that is also available in the PSN store? It's not like Microsoft invented the download feature or something.

The reason PS Now is not in the conversation is because it hasn’t earned the right to be. It’s a low priority project for Sony that lacks any actual ambition. It checks a box and shows they have a service.

It also works and that's the difference and not just a checkbox. Things like gamepass or Sony's solution with subscription will work great next-gen but streaming. I don't know why anyone can be excited about that and really thinks that it will be some high quality shit, with no latency, no lag/input lag, low bitrate, low resolution. Microsoft is not gonna fix that shit for everyone.

Mainstream won't care much..

Sorne

Subscription based gaming is perfect for me. I don't wanna pay $60 for a game I know I'm probably never gonna finish anyways. As I've gotten older, this happens more and more often. I rarely buy AAA games anymore. That's why I love Game Pass. I can pay for a month, play that little I now get to play, and come again later when I crave something new.
I really like this approach they're doing.

kyubajin

Like many of us here, I enjoy the prospect of collecting games as much as I love playing them. Having said that, I’m very much intrigued in seeing how streaming might become another way for playing games and having MS, Sony, Amazon, etc competing for the so-called “Netflix of gaming” position could only mean good news for us consumers. I’ll cautiously wait and see what the near-future brings to the table.

Ten_Fold

I think just making a disc less console with a big HDD is good enough for now. Using the gamepass method they are already using.

I'm looking forward to it and I'm not worried in the slightest that it will replace traditional gaming (discs, digital downloads) anytime in the near future.

Makes no sense to think this would be available on Sony consoles, just look at their stance on EA Access and that tells you all you need to know.

You mean, data caps and fluctuations in the US. Here in Canada, everyone I know has access to stable and unlimited Internet, heck even my mom has a 120Mbits unlimited package. I’ve been to Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, France, and Portugal and while I didn’t always have speeds as fast as that 120, it was always unlimited. Go in Asia and it’s the same situation.

Don’t know why companies in the US decided to go backwards and start implementing data caps while everyone else around the globe started doing otherwise to be honest. But it’s pointless to generalize when tons of places have no issues with data caps!

Also, MS is looking a lot into cellphone streaming where 720p will be plenty, even maybe 480p. As far as I know unlimited data plan for phones are available. I could see lots of people playing on their cellphones on their daily commute. I had a friend stream God of War from his PS4 across the internet on his laptop using LTE and it was playable.

The technology is already there and will be supported by some early on, and it can only grow from there! Lots of countries prioritize cellphone coverage, and I believe that is where MS is looking to expand the most with xCloud.

It will not be huge in the beginning, but this is a long term investment. Wouldn’t be surprised if at some point it’s implemented in Apple TVs, Rokus, TVs, Tablets, etc. This has loads of potential if done right.

Good points and that is interesting. Yeah, there are still data caps in the US and the internet even goes down every now and then. Not a lot, but enough to notice. I guess I’m just not comfortable with my hobby requiring a constant internet connection with ample speed. I figure internet should add to the gaming experience, not be a requirement for the gaming experience.

I could definitely see Microsoft implementing their services in Tvs, mobile phones, pc’s, tablets, Roku boxes, etc, but I think it unrealistic expecting to see their services in competing consoles. I guess we’ll see enough.

Top Bottom