• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft's internal documents recognize that adding games to Game Pass would lead to cannibalization of Buy-To-Play sales

Didn’t they openly come out and say that Game Pass would lead to more game purchases? Because that statement was fucking stupid at the time and even more stupid now.

Xbox have kind of shots themselves in the foot by releasing so many brand new games on the platform. I’ve seen and heard so many comments on here, Reddit and even from people at work that they’ll just wait for a game to hit Game Pass.

Some people I know also don’t buy games anymore and they’ll only play what’s on the service. I’m sure there are loads more people who do the same.

With all the above in mind, how long is it before Xbox need to dial back the service offering or start to offer a tiered approach to help increase profits? It’s also worth mentioning that if the Activision buyout happens, Game Pass is almost definitely going to get a big price hike.

BlackTron

along with the fact that there have been numerous threads on here which go some way towards suggesting that GamePass subscribers don't actually buy any games.

https://www.aroged.com/2023/02/08/x...es-game-sales-admits-microsoft-in-a-document/

I must admit the only game I bought on Series X was Cyberpunk when Best Buy had it for five bucks and and a few digital titles on steep discount.

Gamepass isn't even really stealing my sales from Xbox. It's stealing games from other platforms. I would have bought Shredder's Revenge on Switch and Hi-Fi Rush on Steam. Poor Xbox lol

BlackTron

Didn’t they openly come out and say that Game Pass would lead to more game purchases? Because that statement was fucking stupid at the time and even more stupid now.

They need timed exclusivity on games and tiers.

I can see a model where a new game comes out and its available on GP for a few weeks to a month. To keep playing the game you need to either buy it, get the next tier, combination of the two plus other ideas, whatever.

This *might* actually lend to some game sales because the launch period would serve as a tryout/demo period that is long enough to get you hooked on the game. Pretty much still able to use it like trying out/renting games back in the day, without giving away the whole store.

Of course this would be very good for genuinely good games with depth or length. And very bad for shallow games where you can get your fill and move on in 1-2 days.

Edit: When you think about it, if your game is really good AND only available for a short time on GP with a normal sub, just being on GP could create a lot of exposure to the game that would not otherwise exist. I'm willing to bet all the free positive impressions from GP players helped fuel the deluge of people wanting to buy Hi-Fi Rush on steam. I'm sure it would do well anyway, but it's fascinating to wonder whether Steam's sales for this game would have been higher or lower if it wasn't on Gamepass.

Last edited:
94zAgMc.png

Havoc2049

Xbox game devs should put in effort to offer Limited and Collector editions to make physical copies worth a purchase.
Microsoft already does this. Physical CE/LE editions aren't really a game changer though and probably account for very little in revenue, in the grand scheme of things. CE/LE editions are more of a fan service for the hardcore fans.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
It's becoming easier and easier to root against the Xbox brand now. And I DON'T want to. But it honestly looks like everything they want to do goes against what's best for me as a gamer.
Brazil is a special case in my opinion. They have laws that made importing really costly for many things. So if the country is massively pro digital it make sense to stop making games. I can see Sony and Nintendo to the same in the future. But it is not helping them in terms of public opinion of course.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Brazil is a special case in my opinion. They have laws that made importing really costly for many things. So if the country is massively pro digital it make sense to stop making games. I can see Sony and Nintendo to the same in the future. But it is not helping them in terms of public opinion of course.
MS manufactures over there though to get around the super high import tax.

TonyK

I can see a model where a new game comes out and its available on GP for a few weeks to a month. To keep playing the game you need to either buy it, get the next tier, combination of the two plus other ideas, whatever.
If Microsoft started complicating Gamepass in that way, adding games for a month and tiers, I would sell the console and return to PS5.

TonyK

I think that gamepass in the long run isn't viable financially. Yeah sure I get that they wanted people to buy the console and subscribe to it and hoping theyd buy games but it's just not what is happening

Can't complain though as a gamer's point of view. Gamepass on PC gives me everything I need from them
But then, what about Netflix, HBO, Spotify...?

demigod

I must admit the only game I bought on Series X was Cyberpunk when Best Buy had it for five bucks and and a few digital titles on steep discount.

Gamepass isn't even really stealing my sales from Xbox. It's stealing games from other platforms. I would have bought Shredder's Revenge on Switch and Hi-Fi Rush on Steam. Poor Xbox lol
Shit i overpaid. I paid $10!

The difference is 10s to 100 plus million in production cost. Which most of the content on those services don’t cost as much to produce.
There are shows that cost around $10m-$15m to make per episode, some of those MCU tv series are clocking in at $25m episode. $225m just for a single season of Wandavision, lol. $270m for Season 4 of Stranger Things.

I think the only thing that matters is the return. As long as Game Pass is profitable or they think it will be on a long enough timeline, then its a good investment.

But as I've said before, if it turns out to be a farce and they pivot back to normal software sales or exit the market entirely, the market will correct itself as it always does.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
The difference is 10s to 100 plus million in production cost. Which most of the content on those services don’t cost as much to produce.
Oh really? Big time tv costs money. So 10 hours of viewers only cost only 200 million dollars. Sounds more expensive to to me for a lot less hours to content. A 100-150 million dollar assins creed get you 80 hours plus.

Once again, Dragon staged its own version of a jousting tournament in the show’s debut episode, with an extended sequence in front of a very large (albeit CG-enhanced) crowd. Obviously, Dragon having a budget of nearly $20 million per episode helped the production go a bit bigger.

GamePass isn’t directly comparable to most of the video services because a vast majority of the Xbox revenue is generated the old fashioned way, selling games. They don’t see GamePass being the way most of their customers play games. Netflix and Hulu etc rely on the sub revenue.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This will be bad for gamers.

I swear to god I didn't know the answer to my question. Phil is an insane person. But worse are the people that love him. He sounds like the worse of all corporate execs these days. Engagement over sales? Are you kidding me?!?! I'm now not surprised by MS' output over the last 3 years.

They told us gamers upfront what they are about.

MS has stopped looking at the business of videogames as an entertainment one long algo. It’s software for them, a game is like a social media app. It’s why they want ABK.

BlackTron

If Microsoft started complicating Gamepass in that way, adding games for a month and tiers, I would sell the console and return to PS5.

I would probably still use Gamepass even if it was just the basic tier. Because I always liked renting games and demo disks. It works on PC too.

AALLx

They have said GP is profitable.
Spencer's exact words are:

"Today Gamepass is an overall part of our Content and Service revenue, it's probably 15%. I don't think it gets bigger than that, I think the overall Revenue grows so 15% of a bigger number is a bigger number, but we don't have this future where I think 50, 60, 70% of our Revenue comes from subscriptions. The largest business model in video games is Free-to-Play; you download a game that's free- you and I were talking about Fall Guys, great game, or Fortnite- these are games that you have a device you can download the game and then they will sell you things in-game to monetize so that they do actually run a business in the game but you're not forced to go buy those things in order to play the game. That's the largest gaming business model across all screens, it's Free-to-Play. As you mentioned there's retail, people still buy video games, a lot of them that's far larger than Gamepasses for us, and we have the option of a subscription which we love as a choice but not to the extent, not trying to kind of cannibalize the other businesses, we see it as just a customer choice and I think it will stay in that 10 to 15% of our overall revenue and it's profitable for us."

Phil is very good with weasel words, just like his usage of "growing profitably". If I was to interpret his word salad above, my interpretation would be, "Our Content and Services remains profitable as long as Gamepass remains 10 to 15% of our overall revenue."

Last edited:

DryvBy

It's one way of buying the gamer but if they don't migrate and MS is behind on console sales then it becomes difficult for even MS to keep subsidizing. Swallowing up more major third party publishers and stopping the games appearing on rival platforms is key.

Some devs can be happy their sales get paid up front, they will make more initially on a small game as the cost per game can vary and might exceed typical projections. There is some plus points to a large company throwing money around for new titles on their subservice but overall the motive is buying up the game industry instead of competing head on with Sony. They just want the gamer space won long term, Nadella is on board with it and digging deep.

I would've thought Xbox would be doing better in the US and UK at least but Sony and Nintendo are still doing a great job for smaller companies. Just wonder how long they can hold out.

Don't be fooled with Phil's gaming family speeches, it's a very hostile maneuver MS are doing with game pass and buying up major third party publishers after not making much ground in the last 20 years.
You know why MS can't keep up? I know this is going to sound like bait but it's my honest opinion. Ready?

They are awful at making video games.

In my ye olde school days, we had Microsoft taking risks that made sense to gamers. They put out so many gems, some hidden but still. Being a PC gamer in the 90s, you had a few major Microsoft titles in your library. I actually was a huge fan and consider some of their early library GOAT worthy. When they unveiled the Xbox, that tech was amazing and they managed to revolutionize gaming not by new but by being good at it with a quality closer to the PC experience (online, voice chat, hard drives). The laziness and cheapness of the 360 era burned so many people, but at least they still had quality games. Gears of War was my nightly go-to for months along with Halo 3.

Not even half way through, this apathetic movement happened. We weren't getting the fun smaller games from MS. Nothing groundbreaking. No risks. We were getting the same stuff over and over. Even when they were buying companies, like Rare, it took how long to get a game from them that didn't financially suck? And with Sea of Thieves, it was how long before that didn't suck? One of the things Microsoft has really pushed is one of my least favorite features in Steam and that's early access. While they label things Game Preview, almost all of their games feel like they should be labeled Game Preview. Halo Infinite was missing core content and modes for months!

Age of Empires 4 was supposed to be their return to RTS in a big way. My hype from the trailers was unbelievable. When that game finally hit, Gamepass's $1 monthly deal (which I seem to get constantly) saved me ever buying that game because they couldn't even produce a brand new AOE without turning it into a DLC pit for civilians, something the game terrible lacks.

Where is Fusion Frenzy? Crimson Skies? A good Halo? Conkers? Fable (it's coming doesn't count because they never come)? Midtown Madness? Even Asheron's Call II?

Forza is their one saving force and it's starting to get stale with just map changes. Can someone put out some frickin games? Conkers Bad Fur Day 2, with Chris. Just anything from the ground up!

GamePass isn’t directly comparable to most of the video services because a vast majority of the Xbox revenue is generated the old fashioned way, selling games. They don’t see GamePass being the way most of their customers play games. Netflix and Hulu etc rely on the sub revenue.

This is incorrect, F2P, passes/subs and MTX/DLC across all gaming account for nearly 75% of all global gaming revenue.

The "sale of the game upfront" isn't the tentpole it used to be. There is a reason even Sony are on record that those AAA tentpole games aren't sustainable due to increasing complexity, dev times and costs etc.

SLB1904

Banned
This is incorrect, F2P, passes/subs and MTX/DLC across all gaming account for nearly 75% of all global gaming revenue.

The "sale of the game upfront" isn't the tentpole it used to be. There is a reason even Sony are on record that those AAA tentpole games aren't sustainable due to increasing complexity, dev times and costs etc.
All the Sony games are getting sequels and selling like never before.
Nonsense

All the Sony games are getting sequels and selling like never before.
Nonsense

I didn't say they're not profitable or not getting sequels, as usual console warring just blindsides replies at GAF. Jim Ryan last year stated how complex and expensive the development of such titles are spiralling. Just look at industry statements and threads about 10Million being break even for AAA.

It's ok, I'm not attacking your favourite brand or game.

demigod

I didn't say they're not profitable or not getting sequels, as usual console warring just blindsides replies at GAF. Jim Ryan last year stated how complex and expensive the development of such titles are spiralling. Just look at industry statements and threads about 10Million being break even for AAA.

It's ok, I'm not attacking your favourite brand or game.
Haha you believe dumbass grubb, you are gullible.

Haha you believe dumbass grubb, you are gullible.

I guess you're correct, GoW only had to do 1Mil for break even, right? /s

Never said I agree with the exact number, that is far too variable. It's a far better indicator than your factless and tactless replies.

Last edited:

demigod

I guess you're correct, GoW only had to do 1Mil for break even, right? /s

Never said I agree with the exact number, that is far too variable. It's a far better indicator than your factless and tactless replies.
I’m not the one throwing out baseless numbers from my ass. Do you honestly think a game like Callisto Protocol really need to sell 10 million copies just to break even? If so you can explain, i’ll wait.

Xbox have kind of shots themselves in the foot by releasing so many brand new games on the platform. I’ve seen and heard so many comments on here, Reddit and even from people at work that they’ll just wait for a game to hit Game Pass.

Some people I know also don’t buy games anymore and they’ll only play what’s on the service. I’m sure there are loads more people who do the same.

With all the above in mind, how long is it before Xbox need to dial back the service offering or start to offer a tiered approach to help increase profits? It’s also worth mentioning that if the Activision buyout happens, Game Pass is almost definitely going to get a big price hike.

Well, it certainly does. I can tell from my own experience I ended up buying Eastward on Switch, otherwise I wouldn’t have know about it, so yes it does

Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with GamePass. Pre-conditioning their audience to expect games on GamePass, or that Xbox just becomes a "GamePass machine", they sub to GamePass, and ONLY play what is on GamePass because they're paying for the subscription and simply don't care enough to buy retail content.

I feel like sales of third party games like Hogwarts is going to be a massacre for Xbox. The Ratio of PS5 sales to Xbox sales is probably going to be abysmal.

Microsoft is playing a dangerous game with GamePass. Pre-conditioning their audience to expect games on GamePass, or that Xbox just becomes a "GamePass machine", they sub to GamePass, and ONLY play what is on GamePass because they're paying for the subscription and simply don't care enough to buy retail content.

I feel like sales of third party games like Hogwarts is going to be a massacre for Xbox. The Ratio of PS5 sales to Xbox sales is probably going to be abysmal.

Does NPD still gives us splits?

I don’t think so. Not since the creamsugar leaks. NPD did a lot of bowing down to MS and hiding data over the years to “please their partner(s)”

Ah OK. So they did give us those numbers.

The US is Xboxs strongest market so it definitely would be interesting to see the splits in that region. Everywhere else is probably lopsided except maybe the UK.

Lol. The sale upfront is exactly what needs to remain for it to be sustainable. Its the subscription model that makes it unsustainable. That's what Sony were actually saying. Check first, next time.

Top Bottom