• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox To Stop Selling Physical Games In Brazil

xiskza

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF

Fredrik

You can still play DVDs and music CDs.
And regular/4K/3D Blu-rays and XB/360/XBO discs.
I don’t have a single Xbox Series X physical game, haven’t even bought a digital game for XSX yet. I understand this strategy.
Still sucks for those with bad internet or those who want physical games for lower prices and used games.

Chukhopops

If you look at Amazon Brazil the XSS has +/- 8 times more reviews than the XSX. Don’t know about other retailers but why sell disks if customers can’t buy them?

Usually companies stop selling after people stop buying, not before.

//DEVIL//

Yeah it sucks. But Steam has showed that it works, digital console sales are rising and Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would love it because:

- no production costs
- no logistics
- no share to retailers
- no reselling of games
The main reason I own a ps5 is because I can sell a game after I finish it. This way I don't lose much money.

Sony and Xbox's pricing ecosystem is shit compared to PC and its open-market retailer codes.

If this happens, I'll sell the ps5 again or / not buy ps6 for digital games only.

No way I m spending 100$ Canadian on a single-player game and I can't resell it.

Last edited:

Andyliini

And regular/4K/3D Blu-rays and XB/360/XBO discs.
Well, not 3D Blu-rays. I tried one some time ago, but they won't run. Seems like the functionality was removed from software level, as the 3D disc recognizes Xbox as 3D capable, but it does not recognize the 3D TV. It's a strange omission.

Maybe it could be done vial 3rd party software, but I have no idea how ot works.

mrmustard

Banned
Sony and Xbox eco system when it comes to pricing is shit compared to PC and it's open market retailer codes.
It's not that bad. You can get Xbox games really cheap if you buy codes from Brazil, Turkey or Argentina. For PlayStation you can at least get cheaper PSN cards to save some money.

//DEVIL//

It's not that bad. You can get Xbox games really cheap if you buy codes from Brazil, Turkey or Argentina. For PlayStation you can at least get cheaper PSN cards to save some money.
I was talking in general. It's cheaper in Brazil for many factors such as weaker currency or economically or whatever.

But the sting of much it affects your pocket should be the same if you are US spending US dollar or Brazil.

Like, I have friends who lives in Turkey, the games there are dirt cheap. But then again you can rent a house for probably 400$US a month. Simply because they don't get paid allot or the value of the currency there is shit.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Will we still get in trouble for saying Xbox has no (physical) games?
AFAIK you don't even get into trouble by saying xbox has no games, so I don't see why you would get into trouble.
Have fun with your physical games after the download servers are shut down and it requires a day one patch.

yazenov

Well, this is probably due to low demand from consumers and therefore, low orders from retailers that don't want to waste valuable spaces on items that are collecting dust.

The consoles with a higher physical presence are the Switch and the PS5 so orders from retail are constant due to higher demand. Let's face it, Xbox's physical presence is almost non-existent due to low demand outside of the US and UK (both consoles and games)

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I'll be surprised if PS6 and next Xbox have optical drives.
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 digital only + optional external disc drive rumors were true and i bet the disc will cost more more than the 100 Dollars difference it is now to slowly make people get used to digital only.
I was talking in general. It's cheaper in Brazil for many factors such as weaker currency or economically or whatever.

But the sting of much it affects your pocket should be the same if you are US spending US dollar or Brazil.

Like, I have friends who lives in Turkey, the games there are dirt cheap. But then again you can rent a house for probably 400$US a month. Simply because they don't get paid allot or the value of the currency there is shit.
I think you've got me wrong. Everybody on the planet can buy those cheap codes and redeem them with vpn no matter where you live. But of course if you live in on of those countries you won't profit for the reasons you already listed.

Yeah it sucks. But Steam has showed that it works, digital console sales are rising and Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo would love it because:

- no production costs
- no logistics
- no share to retailers
- no reselling of games
Xbox the pro consumer friendly console.

I've noticed the usual crowd don't use that meme any more.

Fredrik

For better or worse, digital only games are becoming the norm of the present/future of console gaming.
Console gaming will follow the example of PC gaming... physical games are disappearing.
I don’t think the change will happen that fast, maybe after next gen, and I can see collector’s editions stay longer, with download codes instead of discs. Still, yeah, the future is digital no doubt.

xiskza

Have fun with your physical games after the download servers are shut down and it requires a day one patch.
I will, have plenty of games I actually own to play again.

Have fun when Sony/Microsoft and your bank stops your from downloading and playing your favorite game cause you made a so called "offensive" comment online.

Last edited:

- no production costs
- no logistics
- no share to retailers
- no reselling of games
Remember that the big players said the prices of digital games will go down because of all these cost savings?

images GIF

Might be the biggest lie ever told in gaming space lol

mrmustard

Banned
Remember that the big players said the prices of digital games will go down because of all these cost savings?

Pic

Might be the biggest lie ever told in gaming space lol
Never heard of that beofore, but that would've been a blatant lie. I could have preordered Howgwards Legacy for PS5 or Xbox on disc for 50 Euro while it's 75 in their digital stores.

Last edited:
Never heard of that beofore, but that would've been a blatant lie. I could have preordered Howgwards Legacy for PS5 or Xbox on disc for 50 Euro while it's 75 in their digital stores.
They said it somewhere in 2013 or something when they wanted to push the market to digital only, but they got a big push back from big chain physical stores. They threatened to not sell the Xbox and PlayStation if they did that, so they canceled the plan initially. But alas, it’s 2023 and here we are.

That was also the time where publishers wanted to connect e.g. FIFA to an Xbox account. So if you sold your copy of FIFA to a friend, said friend had to connect the copy to the own account for like 10 bucks to activate online 🤣.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I will, have plenty of games I actually own to play again.

Have fun when Sony/Microsoft and your bank stops your from downloading and playing your favorite game cause you made a so called "offensive" comment online.
You get blocked for communication, not for playing your games.

I've been buying digital games since 2004 on steam, never lost a game besides online only games.

Welcome to 2003.

Last edited:

MrA

For better or worse, digital only games are becoming the norm of the present/future of console gaming.
Console gaming will follow the example of PC gaming... physical games are disappearing.
No they aren't, in fact sonys last quarter the physical share grew compared to digital, in the UK digital growth stagnated,
Brazil is a weird market , the demand is there but piracy is insanely rampant and always has been, wealthy enough to buy the razor, but can't afford or won't buy the blades, probably exacerbated by the issues getting a translated game
Megadrive and master system carts from Brazil are rare , the systems have built in games or load roms,
Ps2 are almost universally modded
Much like with the pc piracy is the only thing that can kill physical media

First Brazil then the rest of the world.

If people think physical games are going to still be here in 5-10 years they are in for a surprise. The writing is on the wall and has been for years now to be honest...

Again. This just goes to prove Microsoft's end goal is for us to own nothing and just pay retail prices for glorified rentals.
Sure it's just Microsoft...

Sony and Nintendo will do the same. Why do you think Sony released a discless PS5? They will definitely also want to make more money off people so not sure why you think it's only Microsoft lol.

Last edited:

feynoob

When you have gamepass, it easy to hook people to digital store.
MS wants to eliminate that physical sales so they can make more money through digital sales.
Scummy move.

Top Bottom