• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox To Stop Selling Physical Games In Brazil

Three

Brazil is a pretty unique market so I wouldn't use it to predict what will happen elsewhere. Besides unless they stop manufacturing physical copies entirely games can always be imported from other countries.
What's unique about it? I'd imagine it actually relied on physical discs like anywhere else, maybe even more so.

Saber

What is xbox’s presence in brazil? Could be a pilot project.

Different from Sony, Xbox series S is the one you can find on the stores(if it sells thats another story). Theres no visible PS5 for sales in any store I could find, only PS5 games.
Also Sony support and store left Brazil long ago.

Sure it's just Microsoft...

Sony and Nintendo will do the same. Why do you think Sony released a discless PS5? They will definitely also want to make more money off people so not sure why you think it's only Microsoft lol.
Sony, possibly, yes. I could see a world where they do the same, but they haven't been so blatant and obvious about it. Nintendo, though? I don't see that happening.

Three

Sony and Nintendo will do the same. Why do you think Sony released a discless PS5? They will definitely also want to make more money off people so not sure why you think it's only Microsoft lol.
Based on what? People said the same "Sony Too" during the xbox one fiasco but they didn't do the same at all. Now MS are executing that plan by not providing those physical discs instead.

Sony released a discless PS5 to have a cheaper SKU to compete with MS' cheap low power discless SKU for the price conscious, otherwise they don't mind selling physical and keeping Blu-rays alive. They are making an attachable drive to maintain that option too for a future possibly cheaper SKU. Nintendo relies too much on physical to do anything of the sort. Only one company likes this everything cloud future.

skybaby

First Brazil then the rest of the world.

If people think physical games are going to still be here in 5-10 years they are in for a surprise. The writing is on the wall and has been for years now to be honest...

Nintendo is already all digital in Brazil. Following their footsteps I guess.

lucbr

Different from Sony, Xbox series S is the one you can find on the stores(if it sells thats another story). Theres no visible PS5 for sales in any store I could find, only PS5 games.
Also Sony support and store left Brazil long ago.
Not anymore, I can find PS5 easily and I live in a small city. Also, you can go in any big online magazines and purchase one right now. Sony left Brazil. SIE, Sony Pictures and Music didn't. Brazil was PS4 8th market and still very relevant.

The answer to this news is the Series S. Brazil had a market for Xbox physical games until very recently. I have a XSX and bought almost all my games on physical media. Not only blockbusters like Elden Ding, Lego, Cyberpunk or Guardians of The Galaxy, but also games like Lost Judgment, Tales of Arise, Mafia, etc. I realized this trend when next-gen games started to release only for PS5, like Dead Space remake. XSS is by far the top selling Xbox console (and by some accounts the top selling console in Brazil) and I think this situation, however unfortunate, does not come as a surprise.

Naked Lunch

This exact scenario has existed in the PC space since Steam launched in 2003. People went apeshit back then too.
Its now 20 years later, and I can still play 99% of my Steam library (just not online-only games that got nixed).
This is now the future of console gaming. All companies will go this route in due time.

Already, to get many specific games on physcial you have to go thru low key (shitty) retailers like Limited Run. That isnt normal - its jumping hoops to get games physically. The writing has been on the wall for years.

Last edited:
Not anymore, I can find PS5 easily and I live in a small city. Also, you can go in any big online magazines and purchase one right now. Sony left Brazil. SIE, Sony Pictures and Music didn't. Brazil was PS4 8th market and still very relevant.

The answer to this news is the Series S. Brazil had a market for Xbox physical games until very recently. I have a XSX and bought almost all my games on physical media. Not only blockbusters like Elden Ding, Lego, Cyberpunk or Guardians of The Galaxy, but also games like Lost Judgment, Tales of Arise, Mafia, etc. I realized this trend when next-gen games started to release only for PS5, like Dead Space remake. XSS is by far the top selling Xbox console (and by some accounts the top selling console in Brazil) and I think this situation, however unfortunate, does not come as a surprise.
Aren't there also ridiculous taxes levied on videogames that you guys can get around by digitally buying in other markets?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
In Italy it’s already essentially the same, save for the official announcement.
Big media stores only sell half a dozen or so physical games for Xbox. There’s only Fifa, Halo and the latest AAA stuff like Callisto Protocol. Switch seems to have the biggest shelf space here now, which coming from the WiiU era always feels very bizarre. Gamestop and Amazon are basically your only source of physical Xbox games in Italy.

Saber

You can find anything on the internet, if thats the goal of your post.
I'm talking about physical store. Common stores are easy to find PS4, Xbox One, PS5 and Xbox series games. But the console themselves are not present, with exception of Xbox series S.
Whatever you use for your argument, I am talking about Sony physical store expecifically which left Brazil long ago. Also if you want to twist that into sales, thats again another matter as the country itself is relativelly poor. Most of brazilians are catching up with the PS4 just recently(which would explain why so many games are still released on PS4), let alone even buying a PS5 which is very expensive.

Last edited:
8tZCKmo.png

ReBurn

Gold Member
Doesn't Brazil make a good portion of their physical game sales via grey market imports? I thought I read that somewhere.

This exact scenario has existed in the PC space since Steam launched in 2003. People went apeshit back then too.
Its now 20 years later, and I can still play 99% of my Steam library (just not online-only games that got nixed).
This is now the future of console gaming. All companies will go this route in due time.

Already, to get many specific games on physcial you have to go thru low key (shitty) retailers like Limited Run. That isnt normal - its jumping hoops to get games physically. The writing has been on the wall for years.
Yes, and tomorrow for some reason Steam is broke. There goes all your drm protected games that you bought the last 20 years. How is this a good thing? Not saying they will go broke or that this will happen. But you never know.

angrod14

I think is a little bit cynical and over the top to think these companies "don't want you to own anything" or "take your money away and scam you" with the transition to digital. The concept of licensing and "not selling" is not exclusive to digital sales and have been there since the dawn of time, even in physical media. Go ahead and read the manual or label of your discs and realize what they say. It's not like they're taking advantage of the transition and changing or modifying the legal terms to fuck you over. It has always been like that.

In real practice it would be TERRIBLE business for them to fuck over with consumer purchases. They know that. They would burn in complaints and class action lawsuits and the competition will capitalize that to absorbe their customer base by offering a reliable alternative.

I agree we should be granted proper ownership of digital goods we BUY, and that they're telling us in their click lables we're BUYING. But holding on to obsolete technology isn't an acceptable solution to that problem; what we need is an advance in legislation worldwide that properly adresses this issue.

Last edited:

lucbr

You can find anything on the internet, if thats the goal of your post.
I'm talking about physical store. Common stores are easy to find PS4, Xbox One, PS5 and Xbox series games. But the console themselves are not present, with exception of Xbox series S.
Whatever you use for your argument, I am talking about Sony physical store expecifically which left Brazil long ago. Also if you want to twist that into sales, thats again another matter as the country itself is relativelly poor. Most of brazilians are catching up with the PS4 just recently(which would explain why so many games are still released on PS4), let alone even buying a PS5 which is very expensive.

I am also taking about physical stores. I live in the northeast, in one of the poorest states, not it the capital. Right now I can go to the Americanas (hope they won't close) and find one. There is also stock in Magalu (they never had an XSX). The point is that today is not dificult to buy a PS5 if you have the means. You can find one, If not local, online. Amazon ships free in a couple of days for me.

But we are not in disagreement, I was talking about availability. As you have said, price and cost are crucial. Video Games are an expensive hobby and the PS5 (and XSX) is not acessible for the vast majority of Brazilians. Because of that Series S is very successful, competing and surpassing the PS4. XSS was the best selling console last year at Amazon and Game Pass is huge here. So, unfortunately, and despite Microsoft has not released yet any definitive statement, it is not a surprise the ending of physical media for Xbox here in Brazil.

Obs: Sorry about the Sony Store, as you also mentioning support, I thought you were referring to the company as a whole, whose TV, Camera and Audio subsidiaries have left Brazil. BTW, Sony Stores were very premium and expensives but it served well to showcase the brand's products.

*shrugs* I have tons of physical games in my backlog to play once these companies take away new physical games. I'll still purchase digital games, if that's my only option, but at the cost of quantity.

feynoob

Gold Member
Based on what? People said the same "Sony Too" during the xbox one fiasco but they didn't do the same at all. Now MS are executing that plan by not providing those physical discs instead.

Sony released a discless PS5 to have a cheaper SKU to compete with MS' cheap low power discless SKU for the price conscious, otherwise they don't mind selling physical and keeping Blu-rays alive. They are making an attachable drive to maintain that option too for a future possibly cheaper SKU. Nintendo relies too much on physical to do anything of the sort. Only one company likes this everything cloud future.
Except that console plus digital sales on the disc sales would continue to skyrocket in the future.

Disc sales for both systems is on time clock. Sony would benefit the most from this, considering Nintendo and MS allows you to buy digital games from 3rd party services.

kaizenkko

I'm from Brazil and physical games sells very well here, the problem is that Xbox sells very, very poorly. Here, the average is 7 or 10 PS5's for each Xbox. No exaggeration.

But worst of all, there are rumors that Microsoft intends to shut down pt-br game localization altogether.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What’s the percentage of digital to physical worldwide on all platforms? Isn’t it about 80%?

There was a GI.Biz article saying out of all video game related revenue, 90% was digital in 2022.

But that included MTX and content that is naturally digital only, so it isn't exactly a 100% accurate representation.

lucbr

About the end of the localization, it doesn't make any sense. MS games have been localized for a long time and the already confirmed localizations of Redfall and Starfield illustrates that nothing has changed so far. Hi-Fi's impeccable dubbing even suggests the opposite. It was a rumor based on a single anonymous source and without any official position.

kaizenkko

About the end of the localization, it doesn't make any sense. MS games have been localized for a long time and the already confirmed localizations of Redfall and Starfield illustrates that nothing has changed so far. Hi-Fi's impeccable dubbing even suggests the opposite. It was a rumor based on a single anonymous source and without any official position.
Things don't work like that. Redfall and Starfield must have been localized into Brazilian Portuguese for some time, these changes, if true, will have an impact later on.

And Starfield, for example, will not have pt-br dubbing.

Fbh

Sucks.
From personal experience physical games are still very important in developing markets, being able to buy used games and resell your own is a big help in being able to play newer releases. Like in my country (Chile) due to inflation and exchange rate changes games are literally twice as expensive as they used to be 10 years ago so a lot of people with lower incomes cycle through games by buying used and reselling.

I think is a little bit cynical and over the top to think these companies "don't want you to own anything" or "take your money away and scam you" with the transition to digital. The concept of licensing and "not selling" is not exclusive to digital sales and have been there since the dawn of time, even in physical media. Go ahead and read the manual or label of your discs and realize what they say. It's not like they're taking advantage of the transition and changing or modifying the legal terms to fuck you over. It has always been like that.

In real practice it would be TERRIBLE business for them to fuck over with consumer purchases. They know that. They would burn in complaints and class action lawsuits and the competition will capitalize that to absorbe their customer base by offering a reliable alternative.

I agree we should be granted proper ownership of digital goods we BUY, and that they're telling us in their click lables we're BUYING. But holding on to obsolete technology isn't an acceptable solution to that problem; what we need is an advance in legislation worldwide that properly adresses this issue.

I mean yeah I don't think Sony or MS have some masterplan to take away our games, but going all digital is still very much in their interest because not only does it kill the second hand market, but on console it also locks you into a single store monopoly which they control

lucbr

Things don't work like that. Redfall and Starfield must have been localized into Brazilian Portuguese for some time, these changes, if true, will have an impact later on.

And Starfield, for example, will not have pt-br dubbing.

I understand that, games take a long time do develop and those decisions were made long ago. But what I mean is, a single anonymous reseller/shopkeeper pass on this information to a website and it spreads causing fear throughout the community. There is no evidence to suggest this, on the contrary. For a rumor of this magnitude and with such precarious source, I do think they should await for an official statement.

The issue of the end of physical media makes business sense for our market. Regarding Starfield, due to the scale of the game, voice dubbing was always unlikely.

Last edited:

Aenima

I bet some european countries are next. Here in Portugal Xbox always had the least shelf space, and in some stores is almost non existant. With the Xbox push for Gamepass, i can see Xbox completly dissapear from a good amount of physical stores.

Topher

Gold Member
Have fun with your physical games after the download servers are shut down and it requires a day one patch.

How are you going to download games at all without download servers?

There was a GI.Biz article saying out of all video game related revenue, 90% was digital in 2022.

But that included MTX and content that is naturally digital only, so it isn't exactly a 100% accurate representation.

That included mobile gaming.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I bet some european countries are next. Here in Portugal Xbox always had the least shelf space, and in some stores is almost non existant. With the Xbox push for Gamepass, i can see Xbox completly dissapear from a good amount of physical stores.
Its not gamepass only.
https://www.g2a.com/best-deals/list/xbox-one-game-codes-keys
https://www.eneba.com/us/store/xbox-games
https://www.kinguin.net/x1-games/
and more websites.

As long as those sites exist, people will buy cheap games from them.

Three

Except that console plus digital sales on the disc sales would continue to skyrocket in the future.

Disc sales for both systems is on time clock. Sony would benefit the most from this, considering Nintendo and MS allows you to buy digital games from 3rd party services.
That's true just like music and CDs moved to subs but doesn't mean it doesn't suck for those who preferred ownership, game preservation or could only afford used or borrowed games. That choice is gone now for the platform.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its not gamepass only.
https://www.g2a.com/best-deals/list/xbox-one-game-codes-keys
https://www.eneba.com/us/store/xbox-games
https://www.kinguin.net/x1-games/
and more websites.

As long as those sites exist, people will buy cheap games from them.
And where do u think casual gamers buy they games? You have a family going to take a walk in a mall, they enter a videogame store and all they see is Playstation games, and some Nintendo games. Thats the reality here, but you can still find some physical Xbox games here placed in a corner with the most recent releases. Soon, not even that you will see here.

All they came out thinking is, well i should buy a playstation / Nintendo console.

And a strong physical presence in stores is important if you want to sell consoles, but if u want to just sell services Xbox can keep doing what they do.

feynoob

Gold Member
That's true just like music and CDs moved to subs but doesn't mean it doesn't suck for those who preferred ownership, game preservation or could only afford used or borrowed games. That choice is gone now for the platform.
Physical store closure doesnt help the cause too. If companies keep closing their stores, people are stuck with digital sales only.
And where do u think casual gamers buy they games? You have a family going to take a walk in a mall, they enter a videogame store and all they see is Playstation games, and some Nintendo games. Thats the reality here, but you can still find some physical Xbox games here placed in a corner with the most recent releases. Soon, not even that you will see here.

All they came out thinking is, well i should buy a playstation / Nintendo console.

And a strong physical presence in stores is important if you want to sell consoles, but if u want to just sell services Xbox can keep doing what they do.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/gamestop-has-closed-462-stores-so-far-this-year-783-since-last-year
The people that were close to these store are also losing these options too.
If the place which you used to buy video games closes down, your option will get smaller, and you will be forced to be digital person. Unless your area have online shipping support from major retails.

nial

Gold Member
LMAO, Japan is next; only 6 physical Xbox games were released there in all of 2021.

Last edited:

Aenima

Physical store closure doesnt help the cause too. If companies keep closing their stores, people are stuck with digital sales only.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/gamestop-has-closed-462-stores-so-far-this-year-783-since-last-year
The people that were close to these store are also losing these options too.
If the place which you used to buy video games closes down, your option will get smaller, and you will be forced to be digital person. Unless your area have online shipping support from major retails.
Gamestop was just a victim of the growth of digital sales. If you go to a mall here, most dedicated videogame stores dont also last many yeras, thanks to covid even the biggest dedicated retailer closed they physical store, and they are reoping it again this year, but thers always big stores that sell more than videogames that will not close. These are the stores that soon will not have any Xbox present in they shelves. And this where alot of casual ppl go look at games while they go in a weekend stroll to the mall.

Just out of curiosity u can visit the main page of the most popular dedicated vedeogame online shop here. And tell me how many xbox games you see in they main page, that by default should be showing the popular section.

https://www.gamingreplay.com/pt/

Last edited:

Boss Mog

AFAIK you don't even get into trouble by saying xbox has no games, so I don't see why you would get into trouble.

Have fun with your physical games after the download servers are shut down and it requires a day one patch.
PlayStation games all work without patches or internet. I mean you'll have version 1.00 but it'll always work as long as the disc isn't damaged.

Top Bottom