• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Screenshots

CHC

Yeah, they didn't nail the bright, happy look of Mordor.

It doesn't have to be so generic and brown looking. Any color can be dark. Dark blue sky, grey ash wastes / cold blues / red skies / etc, this is just hyper boring looking.

Sentenza

Everything except the basic premise of the story sounds awful. I wish they didn't have to go "dark" and "gritty". Everything about the copy feels tonally wrong for LOTR.
It's not like "dark and gritty" can't fit Tolkien's work. Just... Not this kind of gritty.
It should be more like, say, a medieval German fairy tale, rather than "EDGY LINKIN' PARK RANGER CURSED WITH AWESOME™ IS LOOKING FOR REVENGE".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah storywise it's just The Force Unleashed.

Character who has something special that makes him more powerful than the movie/book heroes goes and fights the bad guys before the original heroes do, and then loses because he has to for plot reasons, but not before doing something that is super important to the main plot despite the fact that no one has ever mentioned him.

Lime

Character who has something special that makes him more powerful than the movie/book heroes goes and fights the bad guys before the original heroes do, and then loses because he has to for plot reasons, but not before doing something that is super important to the main plot despite the fact that no one has ever mentioned him.

Don't forget that the character and perhaps the antagonist as well, are probably clones.

Oh, cool! Glad to see they're letting you play as Aragorn in this game!

I'm hilarious. For reals, though, the game looks pretty good. I like how Not-Aragorn's blanket cape looks.

Levyne

Banned
I have a family member who will absolutely love this game. Glad to see continued use of the IP. War in the North wasn't terrible but it was lackluster.

andycapps

I'm pretty sure the wraiths from the movies and books did a little more than stare blankly into the distance while they were decapitating and slaughtering their enemies.

Then again, what do I care. It just looks silly.

Wraiths didn't have any form, they just wore the black robes to give themselves a shape. So yeah, they weren't really staring anywhere since they didn't have physical eyes anymore.

These screenshots look pretty meh to me. I hope it's good because of love the LOTR universe, but I'm skeptical. I hope they prove me wrong.

jet1911

la-terre-du-milieu-l-ombre-du-mordor-playstation-3-ps3-1384898286-007.jpg

Next Assassin's Creed sneek peak.

100MS

Neo Member
• Nemesis System - Discover a powerful and dynamic next-gen gameplay mechanic that allows players’ actions to shape enemy relationships and characteristics, creating personal and unique stories and gameplay arcs that remain persistent even after death.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC.
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Derrick01

Banned
When I was detailing this from the game informer issue I remember thinking the graphics/art style were nothing worth mentioning yet. They have a lot of fairly big gameplay elements they'll need to worry about nailing 100% correctly instead of worrying about having great graphics. I have doubts they can do it but I *hope* that they can, because the ideas are ambitious and somewhat unique in the AAA space.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
While modern Monolith might be quite mediocre, this just isn't right at all. Games like No One Lives Forever and FEAR looked amazing for their time.

Not really. Fear (2005) looked like a generation behind HL 2 (2004 title) graphically and NOLF and Aliens versus Predator 2 looked outdated compared to stuff like Rogue Spear or Soldier Of Fortune. same with their recent games Fear 2 and Condemned1/2.

it's good that they make good games tho.

Nibel

The 3 screenshots look kinda of bad. Monolith was never that good with graphics.

but I'm still hyped for this.

Uhm, NOLF1+2 and F.E.A.R. were testimonials of their time; they looked fantastic on high-end-hardware and were the benchmarks back then, especially since you could set the resolution of F.E.A.R. to crazy high levels

But yeah, not sure what happened afterwards; the second and third F.E.A.R. don't look bad per se, but I assume this is because they switched to console development instead of just focusing on PC like previously. The title was just announced though, so yeah we'll see how it ends up looking at launch

I love me some middle-earth

Lime

Not really. Fear (2005) looked like a generation behind HL 2 (2004 title) graphically and NOLF and Aliens versus Predator 2 looked outdated compared to stuff like Rogue Spear or Soldier Of Fortune.

This is simply untrue. FEAR was heralded as a much more graphically impressive game in 2005 with a ton of effects. Meanwhile, AvP2 and NOLF were incredibly far from bad looking at release and they were absolutely not subpar compared to RS or SoF.

Vitor711

This is simply untrue. FEAR was heralded as a much more graphically impressive game in 2005 with a ton of effects. Meanwhile, AvP2 and NOLF weren't bad looking at release and was absolutely not subpar compared to RS or SoF.

FEAR was astoundingly impressive on release visually and a performance killer if you set up all the bells and whistles. The bullet impact on surfaces was something I'd never seen before at the time. The slow motion affect was awesome too.

Arcipello

those screenshot are blatant bullshots thrown together with renders in photoshop...will wait to see the actual ingame stuff.

Hurley

I now feel like playing The Return of the King.

I have hopes for this new game. Just hope it isn't terrible.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So uh... what's the gameplay/combat like? I'd play a LotR game with Dark Souls like combat. -)

Everything except the basic premise of the story sounds awful. I wish they didn't have to go "dark" and "gritty". Everything about the copy feels tonally wrong for LOTR.

It's Mordor, of course it's gonna be dark and gritty.

SparkTR

I patiently await the game that accurately captures the atmosphere of Middle Earth. This, it seems, will not be it.

I don't think a game like that will ever exist, every developer is eager to use the setting to facilitate combat scenarios. I want a LOTR game that focuses on mystery, serenity and the expansiveness of the land, a game that has lots of downtime so when the action does start it's really meaningful. A game like this but obviously with a larger budget.

I don't think a game like that will ever exist, every developer is eager to use the setting to facilitate combat scenarios. I want a LOTR game that focuses on mystery, serenity and the expansiveness of the land, a game that has lots of downtime so when the action does start it's really meaningful. A game like this but obviously with a larger budget.

tumblr_lzcz3fn1KS1r2nrus.gif

White Council sounded like the closest thing we'd get to this. Then it was cancelled.

all the screenshots look nice except for that last one lol.

that sword swing looks like something from a shitty 80's conan ripoff box cover. :D

Has anyone involved with the creation of this game even bothered to crack open a book with Tolkien's name on the spine? There's Legolas fan fiction written by 13-year-olds scattered across the internet that evinces a better grasp of the legendarium than this drivel.

Tobor

Exactly. Bullshit trash to step all over Tolkien's work. Hooray!

"Wraith powers" is so fucking stupid. Designed by committee nonsense.

blurrygil

Assassin's of the Ring?

Does look good, so far. But I thought the same about War in the North. So I'm cautiously optimistic...and that's ok.

Red Mage

Looks like it might be a neat game, but it's not Middle-Earth.

I like how the plot sounds absolutely nothing like LotR stuff. Magic super powers might fly in Silmarillion Tolkien game but here it just clashes with the tone of the book.

Nah. Wraiths are evil, regardless of what they were like in life. I'm guessing they don't know the difference between a ghost, a wight, and a wraith in Arda. Is it too much to ask that if you want to make a game in an already existing world, you know what the heck the proper terminology is?

Also, any attempt by someone to do something solo always ends very, very badly in Tolkien's world. Friendship, and remaining connected to your fellow man/elf/dwarf/maiar/valar is a major theme of his stories. Melkor becomes corrupted when he starts going off on his own all the time, for crying out loud. Of course, that's not cool enough these days. e_e;

Mondy

Banned
This will be good if they are allowed to use assets from the films, especially the Soundtrack. If you're going to make a LOTR game, you better do it properly.

eXistor

So dark and gritty, not liking the look at all. I don't get the slightest LotR vibe from this. I'm still interested in it though because it sounds (overly) ambitious, which is always interesting to see and play, but I think it looks like shit right now.

Top Bottom