• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millions of Muslims take part in mass pilgrimage of Arbaeen – in spite of Isis

Status
Not open for further replies.
From: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...arbaeen-pilgrimage-iraq-karbala-a7436561.html

Millions of Shia Muslims have taken part in one of the biggest marches in the world, as they travel through Iraq in celebration of a famous Muslim martyr.

The march comes as nearly 80 people, many of them pilgrims returning from commemorating Arbaeen in Karbala, were killed in the latest Isis attack in the area.

Isis has declared Shia Muslims apostates and targeted them in its bloody campaign to establish a hardline caliphate across Iraq and Syria.

The pilgrimage has taken on additional meaning in response to this threat, becomimg a protest in recent years against Isis terrorists

Mohammed Al-Sharifi, a volunteer at last year's event, previously told the Independent: "I think the reason the mainstream media hasn’t covered the [march] is because I don’t think it's juicy enough to sell papers. It's simply not interesting enough."

It's heartening to see people take massive action against ISIS, risking their lives in the process.

Mass media can't sell those 15 seconds adverts if all things go smoothly. Asshats.

Great to see such union and defiance over there. I hope they keep it up and condolences for their losses.

Nordicus

17-20 million?

Even if we discount the 3 million foreign visitors, that half of Iraq's population right there. Wow.

17-20 million?

Even if we discount the 3 million foreign visitors, that half of Iraq's population right there. Wow.

Bear in mind that's an estimate, but yeah, pretty substantial. Thing is, the concept of mass pilgrimage is still a core part of the muslim faith, so it's not as much of a stretch to apply it in a more localised, cultural context. Add in an element of 'Fuck you ISIS' while the operation to retake Mosul is underway, and people coming out in droves becomes understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom