• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MIND0 |OT| Not Persona

Phototropic

Neo Member
About a quarter way through the game. I need to learn how to save more often, lol. It's still really good! But losing progress after an hour or two due to forgetting to save is really unmotivating.

A shame that this isn't really getting many impressions... it's really quite good. It's not like it doesn't have issues, but it's fun at least.

I'll have to play through the game all over again due to not starting with EXPERT difficult if I want the platinum. :(
Do you have any idea about missable trophies? It seems like you can get the story events and quests as long as you are careful about checking before progressing the story.

zeopower6

Do you have any idea about missable trophies? It seems like you can get the story events and quests as long as you are careful about checking before progressing the story.

Hm, I don't think there is anything missable exactly, but so far I've been doing everything as it's popped up so that I don't miss anything!

Would have to test avoiding the events and seeing if you can still access something from Phase 1 in Phase 4 or 5 without 'missing' it completely.

komorebi

Downloaded this today and played it for about two hours. I'm glad I did because I'm enjoying it so far. Art style is great, music is very good, dub is also well done even though Sana and Leo's VAs will forever be Chie and Yosuke to me so its a bit surreal, especially in such an "inspired by" game. I started on Expert and got manhandled by the first boss but grinding a few levels (and equipping the proper skills) took care of it. I enjoy the battle system and pace of the fights and since I started on Expert I expect some grinding to be done, but this is what dungeon crawlers are made for, right? I was worried about loading times but aside from a few quite long ones (usually when starting the game or entering a dungeon for the first time) its not bad at all. Of course, I might eat these words as I get further into the game.

There's a lot of negativity surrounding this title but I took a risk and bought it after months of reading negative impressions. Even though I understand the complaints I think there's a really good game here. Anyone on the fence should give it a chance and decide for themselves, because for the most part the criticism falls into either the "valid but superficial" camp (Persona rip-off, low budget sound effects, recycled enemies, etc) while others are straight out of the horrid mentality that plagues modern "gamers": that every title has to be some groundbreaking AAA masterpiece that redefines gaming as we know it.

This is a good addition to the genre and worth playing if you like dungeon crawlers, visual novels, or RPGs in general. Its dark, has a fantastic art style and we don't really have a lot of these even when we count the SMT games. Its not perfect, its definitely rough around the edges, but you could do MUCH worse with your time and money.

LX_Theo

Banned
Very early impressions (after first boss/dungeon)

The Voice Acting is top notch. The initial stuff was largely okay, but once the story focused on the main group, the voice acting really started to shine. Leo's/Yosuke's delivery has been beautiful so far.

Inspirations from Persona are blatant. Nothing resembling a social link yet, but I made sure to grab a screenshot when Leo referred to the group as an investigation team.

I like the battle system. Its simple, yet has potential for some real strategic play. It is very focused on timing and balancing your skill use with defense to recoup and manage various bars of energy (MP and TP). If there was a fault to it, it'd be its pacing. I could easily see the pacing of the battles get annoying with grinding. It has auto-battling and fast forward, but it sort of stops you from using the most effective form of grinding. See, the MP is for your Persona like "MIND". When you have your MIND out, the MP takes damage instead of you. MP goes back to 100% at the beginning of each battle. So, if you summon your MIND, then you can sustain full health while grinding through weak enemies (at least this early on). You also have to manually activated each person's MIND in order to take this strategy each battle, though. I do like the battle system quite a bit so far. It feels unique and promising, but early days have a number of cracks in the armor.

I really like the general aesthetic of the game. Art is nice. Menus and other UI have a style that I really like. The battle graphics are underwhelming for the PS Vita (probably PSP level graphics), but I prefer that sort of interaction on screen over static 2D images like some games. Also, the menu is a bit slow for my liking. It looks nice, but doesn't transition smoothly between sections.

Oh, and the sound effects are as bad as people have said. I didn't think it was possible, but wow.

RedBoot

You also have to manually activated each person's MIND in order to take this strategy each battle, though.

You can actually go into the options screen and set the MINDs to be summoned automatically in battle, which saves you the hassle (and ~15 seconds of summoning animations) every time. I've found that I want the MINDs out more often than not, so I've kept the option turned on ever since I found it.

But yeah, the combat actually gets pretty interesting, it's all about juggling your three main resources (LP, MP, SP). This is one of the first games where I rage when an enemy defends (damn crabs in Dungeon 2) because you need to be choosy when you go "all out" with skills.

Phototropic

Neo Member
You can actually go into the options screen and set the MINDs to be summoned automatically in battle, which saves you the hassle (and ~15 seconds of summoning animations) every time. I've found that I want the MINDs out more often than not, so I've kept the option turned on ever since I found it.
Great tip. I had been wishing for that but did not think it was an option.

I am also in the second dungeon, about 5 floors in. It is a bit of a grind now where I am spending a ton of time in this dungeon, but I am still enjoying the battle mechanics and decisions around when to use my MINDs and when to shelf them.

So is the overall design more like P4 or P3P? Also the dungeon exploration seems to be in first person which kinda disappointing to me. Can you see your party during battle at least?

Also, how's the story? Premise?

RedBoot

So is the overall design more like P4 or P3P? Also the dungeon exploration seems to be in first person which kinda disappointing to me. Can you see your party during battle at least?

Also, how's the story? Premise?

It's more like P3P out of those two (since the story presentation is Visual Novel style), but if we're comparing it to Persona in general, I'd say it's closest to Persona 1, due to the slightly darker storyline and first-person dungeons. The character designs/personalities are the main thing it shares with modern Persona.

You do see your party a bit during battle (MIND summons, some attacks, and you get a shot of whoever strikes the final blow), but it's not as showy as P3/P4 are in battle.

As for the story, I'm too early to really tell (I'm in "Phase 3" according to the save file), but it reminds me a lot of Megaten/early Persona. Interesting, so far.

It's more like P3P out of those two (since the story presentation is Visual Novel style), but if we're comparing it to Persona in general, I'd say it's closest to Persona 1, due to the slightly darker storyline and first-person dungeons. The character designs/personalities are the main thing it shares with modern Persona.

You do see your party a bit during battle (MIND summons, some attacks, and you get a shot of whoever strikes the final blow), but it's not as showy as P3/P4 are in battle.

As for the story, I'm too early to really tell (I'm in "Phase 3" according to the save file), but it reminds me a lot of Megaten/early Persona. Interesting, so far.

Thanks for the impressions. How's are the personas handled? Are they actual monsters from folklore?

LX_Theo

Banned
Thanks for the impressions. How's are the personas handled? Are they actual monsters from folklore?

The concept behind the MINDs (so far in mine) seems to be that there are two worlds connected where everyone has an equivalent monster/demon/something that acts as their equivalent in this other world. I've yet to hear anything to equate them to mythology or having to do with the mind. Basically, you have to choose a weapon at a point, and if its linked to your equivalent, you get to live. So, no switching between them either.

Generally, if things were comparable, I'd say the combat is more like SMT4 (or others in the series with first person perspectives) combined with the Persona concept (minus the changing between them)... But its focus on management of TP and MP isn't really like either of those at the same time. Navigation is more like a cross between Persona 1 and Persona 3 Portable with the first person dungeon crawling and P3P overworld world travel.

Story has its moments that remind me of Persona 3/4 (primarily put within moments when characters are cracking jokes, plus a weapon shop that has a an eerily similar vibe as the velvet room), but it seems to be its own beast entirely so far (early days, mind you). Character wise, the main character actually has a personality/voice, but the first two party members have similar personalities (and the same voice actors) as Chie and Yosuke.

RedBoot

Yeah, I don't even think the individual MINDs have names, at least at the point I'm at. The other interesting note about them is that they're always the opposite gender of their human counterpart (with one exception, which the story states as such).

Again, still early in the game, so I don't know if they'll go anywhere with that, but at least the story's fun so far.

zeopower6

I think RandomPl0x on YouTube started to do videos a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYiorBeTQWg <-- first one, he's a few days into the game

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/05/31/review-mind-zero/86754/

Mind Zero is going to catch people off guard. Prior to its release, it was either not talked about whatsoever, or done so with skepticism. In the end, though, it’s a quality experience. It has a compelling story that, though slow to gather steam, feels wonderfully mysterious, strange and distinctive. To supplement that is a cast of sincerely likable characters and tried-and-true dungeon-crawl mechanics that are challenging enough for veterans to enjoy, but accessible enough for this to be a great starting place for anyone looking to cut their teeth on the genre. The game has some flaws and those not expecting such a visual novel-like, story-heavy experience may be turned off, but overall, Mind Zero gets more right than it gets wrong. For a game without any kind of established lineage, this is a very welcome addition to the Vita’s growing JRPG library.

First review was posted (I think). 4/5. It's pretty positive.

Mononoke

Banned
Hmmm I was scared off by the reviews. But now I want to check this out! Moved on from Demon Gaze and started Monster Monopiece but maybe I'll tackle this next?

Is it because the game lacks romance that people are complaining, or is there legitimate gameplay/story issues? Obviously spoiler tag if you have to.

Edit: I'll read that review.

zeopower6

Hmmm I was scared off by the reviews. But now I want to check this out! Moved on from Demon Gaze and started Monster Monopiece but maybe I'll tackle this next?

Is it because the game lacks romance that people are complaining, or is there legitimate gameplay/story issues? Obviously spoiler tag if you have to.

Edit: I'll read that review.

Most of the complaints seem to stem from the way that the game kind of...
ends on a cliffhanger and doesn't really resolve questions brought up in the game. It's assumed that they want to make MIND&#8786;1 to continue where this one left off since it's THAT sort of ending.
As for romance or whatever... there does seem to be a bit of that but it's not a focus at all. There are Social Link-esque parts of the game where you interact with every character individually but it's much less developed than what you'd expect from Persona. (as opposed to 10 levels of depth, you only get maybe a few scenes)

Gameplay seems to be pretty standard for a dungeon crawler tbh.

Mononoke

Banned
Most of the complaints seem to stem from the way that the game kind of...
ends on a cliffhanger and doesn't really resolve questions brought up in the game. It's assumed that they want to make MIND&#8786;1 to continue where this one left off since it's THAT sort of ending.
As for romance or whatever... there does seem to be a bit of that but it's not a focus at all. There are Social Link-esque parts of the game where you interact with every character individually but it's much less developed than what you'd expect from Persona. (as opposed to 10 levels of depth, you only get maybe a few scenes)

Gameplay seems to be pretty standard for a dungeon crawler tbh.

Sweet going to download it now. I don't mind taking risks, and tbh it seems up my ally. Been on a Japanese games binge with my vita. Just ordered Sword Art Online Hollow Fragmant (the one with English subs). I hated Sword Art Online but am a sucker for RPGs. Tbh this game looks like the kind story/tone I would like more.

RedBoot

Yeah, I guess if you went into this expecting a slightly modified P3/P4, you might be disappointed. If you want a hardcore dungeon crawler with some Persona trappings, then you'd probably be a lot more interested in this one. I mean, these are the Class of Heroes devs, so expect that with more story.

Just entered Phase 3's dungeon, and got wiped on the first random battle. :) Managed to figure out a strategy that lets me survive a battle, though. The combat's getting tougher, having to draw the MINDs back and defend/recover, as getting MIND Breaked is a very bad thing.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I guess if you went into this expecting a slightly modified P3/P4, you might be disappointed. If you want a hardcore dungeon crawler with some Persona trappings, then you'd probably be a lot more interested in this one. I mean, these are the Class of Heroes devs, so expect that with more story.

Just entered Phase 3's dungeon, and got wiped on the first random battle. :) Managed to figure out a strategy that lets me survive a battle, though. The combat's getting tougher, having to draw the MINDs back and defend/recover, as getting MIND Breaked is a very bad thing.

Great sounds awesome. This is why I love posting here. You guys are the best! :)

zeopower6

The game has dual audio!

You can only change it when you reload your save though. So you'd have to save and relaunch the game to swap languages.

Raxious

The game has dual audio!

You can only change it when you reload your save though. So you'd have to save and relaunch the game to swap languages.

Great :D

It looks so interesting, though I shouldn't get it considering I've already got so many games I still need to finish xD

I also love the boxart, but then I'd have to get the US version which is 20 euros more. And I kinda decided I'd import a 64GB card, and start going digital with my handheld.

RedBoot

Just started Phase 4.
Finally unlocked skill powerups. You can fuse cards into stronger ones, or level the cards individually. I leveled the passive MTK+10 to level 2, and it only raised to MTK+11, but it also looks like I can fuse it into something that boosts MTK+30. I guess it's a matter of fusing to the highest version, then leveling that one?

Also, for anyone trying to complete all the requests: be sure and speak to the various shopkeepers. A lot of them have quests for you as well. I had a backlog of quests with the Accessory Lady (looks like they don't get locked out if you don't do them immediately, at least).

I still think my biggest issue with this game is how little EXP inactive characters get. One of my characters is lagging way behind the others, and that's only going to get worse. As long as the game doesn't pull a Digital Devil Saga and stick me with the characters I never used, it'll be fine, but...

RedBoot

Another note: press the Square button on a character's status screen. This brings up the MIND's status screen which, among other things, shows the MIND's elemental attribute. I was wondering why Kei did so much more damage than Kotone with Water spells. Using a skill matching the MIND's attribute seems to be stronger, while the opposite attribute will be weaker. I imagine their elemental defenses work in the same manner.

zeopower6

Just started Phase 4.
Finally unlocked skill powerups. You can fuse cards into stronger ones, or level the cards individually. I leveled the passive MTK+10 to level 2, and it only raised to MTK+11, but it also looks like I can fuse it into something that boosts MTK+30. I guess it's a matter of fusing to the highest version, then leveling that one?

I still think my biggest issue with this game is how little EXP inactive characters get. One of my characters is lagging way behind the others, and that's only going to get worse. As long as the game doesn't pull a Digital Devil Saga and stick me with the characters I never used, it'll be fine, but...

Yes, you have to get some Engraved Spheres to do that. (they start appearing as drops around the train dungeon, but the ones that you can use to upgrade Fonts from alpha to beta are only available in a muuuch later dungeon.) The Moment shopkeeper gives you one of each (I think) when you first meet her, so use those wisely until they start dropping from enemies.

I suggest using the main three for now.
There is a dungeon where everyone else is locked out and you are screwed if Sana/Leo are not leveled appropriately. Also when the other three party members come back into the party, they will have scaled to Kei's level. I had Yoichi at level 25 or something after not using him for the entire game and then once I finished that dungeon with Kei/Leo/Sana, he was level 39!

RedBoot

Yes, you have to get some Engraved Spheres to do that. (they start appearing as drops around the train dungeon, but the ones that you can use to upgrade Fonts from alpha to beta are only available in a muuuch later dungeon.) The Moment shopkeeper gives you one of each (I think) when you first meet her, so use those wisely until they start dropping from enemies.

I suggest using the main three for now.
There is a dungeon where everyone else is locked out and you are screwed if Sana/Leo are not leveled appropriately. Also when the other three party members come back into the party, they will have scaled to Kei's level. I had Yoichi at level 25 or something after not using him for the entire game and then once I finished that dungeon with Kei/Leo/Sana, he was level 39!

Yeah, she gave me a few spheres. I'll use them wisely, I need to adjust my skill loadout anyway now that I know about the MIND's innate attributes.

I've been using Kei/Sana/Kotone, so sounds like I won't have to adjust much. Kind of a shame, though, having the extra magic user was helpful in dungeon 3.

zeopower6

Just finished the game at around level 68.
The ending wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It DEFINITELY leaves things open for a sequel, lol.
You can 'restart' the game afterward with a NG+ of sorts. You have to remove all your skill cards and you retain the money/items from the last save. Back to level 1 though. :(

Just finished the game at around level 68.
The ending wasn't as bad as people made it out to be. It DEFINITELY leaves things open for a sequel, lol.
You can 'restart' the game afterward with a NG+ of sorts. You have to remove all your skill cards and you retain the money/items from the last save. Back to level 1 though. :(

So how would you rare the game?

I'll be honest, I'm still on the face. I was watching videos online and the game gives me more of visual novel vibe than dungeon crawler. Every video I see I have to fast forward to a battle, and yet I still see very little of actual dungeon stuff.

Kattbuss

I bought and downloaded this yesterday and I am looking forward to playing it (Have to finish the last chapter of Danganronpa first though)
I finished Persona 4G a while back and have been looking forward to something similar.
I know it's not the same as Persona but I hope the story is at least interesting.

zeopower6

So how would you rare the game?

I'll be honest, I'm still on the face. I was watching videos online and the game gives me more of visual novel vibe than dungeon crawler. Every video I see I have to fast forward to a battle, and yet I still see very little of actual dungeon stuff.

7 or 8 out of 10, I guess? (though honestly, I don't really like rating games since I'm pretty picky to begin with)

Well, the way it works is that in each phase there is a bit of visual novel-y story before it throws you into a dungeon and right after. It's sort of how Persona works, I think... but because it's just images here and you can't really explore a 3D town, it feels different. Wasn't Persona 3 Portable a bit like this though?

You will be spending plenty of time in dungeons after the first few in-game days, lol. The first few days are extremely story-heavy with a lot of talking.

LX_Theo

Banned
Slowly chipping away at the game myself. I do enjoy the combat system myself, though grinding could be more tolerable. The story is decent and the characters are interesting despite obvious influence from elsewhere (if there's anything this game feels like its trying to copy from Persona, its that charm it has).

For those who have finished it, I was wondering what sort of levels should I expect to have for the end game? Not there yet, just wondering if this was the sort of game that had you get into the 60s or the 90s for leveling.

zeopower6

Slowly chipping away at the game myself. I do enjoy the combat system myself, though grinding could be more tolerable. The story is decent and the characters are interesting despite obvious influence from elsewhere (if there's anything this game feels like its trying to copy from Persona, its that charm it has).

For those who have finished it, I was wondering what sort of levels should I expect to have for the end game? Not there yet, just wondering if this was the sort of game that had you get into the 60s or the 90s for leveling.

Mid to late 60s is about normal.

Top Bottom