• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mirror's Edge demo coming Oct 30 PSN/Oct 31 XboxLive

methodman said:
Are we going to be able to change the control buttons? LB and L2 is fucking crazy for Xbox360 as the main buttons for this game :lol

Its actually ok and nowhere near as bad as some people might think it is. Personally i am having more trouble with pushing the thumb stick forward too hard.

t4ng0

Lostconfused said:
Its actually ok and nowhere near as bad as some people might think it is. Personally i am having more trouble with pushing the thumb stick forward too hard.
Same here - I feel like I'm playing N64 again with that awful thumb stick

methodman said:
Are we going to be able to change the control buttons? LB and L2 is fucking crazy for Xbox360 as the main buttons for this game :lol

You can change them in the demo to RB and RT (or change the sticks around, I didn't do that) I did that and it worked much better. Then again I have my finger so it can hit both the bumper and trigger without having to use 2 fingers, so who knows how that'll work for others.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Didn't post my impressions before in this thread, but the demo more than sold me on the game, when I already was in love with the style, concept, and soundtrack - I just had to play it for the final confirmation!

Looks gorgeous, so bright and the colors shine to the point that it actually hurst my eyes on my CRT - there's a tiny hint of aliasing, and when I say tiny, it's as if it isn't there - I have to squint to see the jaggies...

Love the moves, melee attacks, her versatility and the whole momentum system - when you're at full speed, it's a hell of a feeling that encourages you to hit every jump and hit every landing perfectly to keep the momentum going...

Controls? Dead-on. Never would've imagined that I would like the controls the way they were with LB and left trigger, but it clicked almost immediately...

Turned off that dot right away since I don't get motion sickness anyways, and I turned off runner vision on my second try...

The soundtrack? Loved it from the first trailer and goes hand-in-hand perfectly with the style that made me fall in love with the entire package...

Plus I had the bonus of getting a time trial code online, which truly makes the game shine - I really don't know whose idea it was to have a demo have a mode locked out like that, because damnit, I know for sure that the time trial is a game-seller - I spent at least an hour on both levels trying to set records, and trying out the cool shortcuts - shortcuts you'd NEVER see in the regular modes in the demo...

When I saw how different the shortcuts were, and how much time they took off my record times, I knew the game was a must-by, even though they did mention that there would be alternate paths before - I'd just never imagine them being like that...

Excellent game, and will be picking it up no doubt - dunno how my schedule will be, thanks to Gears 2, but it's definitely on my must-by list...

Rindain

Banned
So can anyone confirm whether or not there are real-time character reflections in this game?

It would be awesome to be scaling a mirrored wall and see your reflection.

Rindain said:
So can anyone confirm whether or not there are real-time character reflections in this game?

It would be awesome to be scaling a mirrored wall and see your reflection.

When we decided to make the view the game is seen through broader, a number of different problems occurred, one of them was that Faith's arms and legs got "bent" as if the game was seen through a 'fisheye' objective, something we work pretty hard for to fix. Now Faith is rendered two times since her arms and legs wouldn't be able to be visible in the same way as they do in the game, if she would have been built up after realistic proportions. The Faith you control, and the Faith that you see when looking into one of the many mirrors in the game, is two completely different models.

http://on-mirrors-edge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1283

JB1981

yea i think the 360 pad works just fine. people like to play up very marginal things in these comparo threads - it's hysterical

Don't mean to sound like a broken record, but also requesting a PS3 code if anyone has one to spare...

EDIT: NEVERmind.

THANK YOU Endless and Valkyr!

JB1981

KeioSquad2 said:
You have a Mcaine Avatar and you bullshit just like him......sad! Anyway, over on those "other" forums, they say, or rather Grandmaster and his magical machine - say that there is screen tear in both, the ps3 is more noticable in the opening fly by, and the 360 happens during the game play. He is very unwilling to admit that the 360 might actually be worse, considering that all that have played both say that the 360 version may have slightly less jaggies, but does drop frames during game play, but you know......it's his "Expert" opinion - or the tools don't lie.....

Either way...... I've played both, seen'em with my own eyes, and the ps3 is visually more appealing. The 360 does have slight stutter in some scenes....but Grandmaster states that that is just cause the PS3 version tears more!.........."sigh"

Just play the fuckin games people!!!:D

how do you find the ps3 version more appealing visually? like, what specifically, do you think looks better? I can see how someone might think the 360 version is oversaturated (the colors seriously pop and might be a little garish at times) ... but i don't know what is unappealing about the imagery - its smooth, it's colorful, the framerate is fine etc.

JB1981 said:
how do you find the ps3 version more appealing visually? like, what specifically, do you think looks better? I can see how someone might think the 360 version is oversaturated (the colors seriously pop and might be a little garish at times) ... but i don't know what is unappealing about the imagery - its smooth, it's colorful, the framerate is fine etc.

On my screen the X360 version had more contrast but was overall a bit darker of an image. I think the PS3 (atleast on my screen, mind you) outputs the image more like what DICE intended when you take into account the art direction they were going for. The AA was marginally better on 360, but in motion I really couldn't see the aliasing issues anyway.

But the MAIN deciding factor for me was the controls. My god the PS3 controller was made for this game. The 360 pad is just awful, for this. Awkward as hell, ick..

KeioSquad2 said:
You have a Mcaine Avatar and you bullshit just like him......sad! Anyway, over on those "other" forums, they say, or rather Grandmaster and his magical machine - say that there is screen tear in both, the ps3 is more noticable in the opening fly by, and the 360 happens during the game play. He is very unwilling to admit that the 360 might actually be worse, considering that all that have played both say that the 360 version may have slightly less jaggies, but does drop frames during game play, but you know......it's his "Expert" opinion - or the tools don't lie.....

Either way...... I've played both, seen'em with my own eyes, and the ps3 is visually more appealing. The 360 does have slight stutter in some scenes....but Grandmaster states that that is just cause the PS3 version tears more!.........."sigh"

Just play the fuckin games people!!!:D
Maturity at it's finest - and a great example of liberal fairness. I'm sure Obama will reach across the isle with the elegance you have just exhibited.

I'm also glad to see your opinion is fact. That's great to hear...

But - hey, crowd mentality rules the day - right? ;)

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/MirrorsEdge/MirrorsEdge_02_360_Darken.png

PS3
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/MirrorsEdge/MirrorsEdge_02_PS3.png

http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/MirrorsEdge/MirrorsEdge_08_360_Darken.png

PS3
http://yoda.dip.jp/Game/MirrorsEdge/MirrorsEdge_08_PS3.png

See many more for yourself...
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20081101#1225547563

Also -just off the topic slightly - do you think Barbera Striesand, Matt Damon, Whoopi Goldberg and the Hollywood crowd know much about you and your life? You seem to indicate that you think they know your problems and how best to fix them... Next time you go for a beer with your friends, try making the one who earns the most pay the most base your chip in on your income - see how they like it. Then remind them that they have a CHOICE in the decision - something they will NOT have in an Obama presidency. How is McCain bullshit?

Very interesting game. I was initially concerned that I would find the movement disorienting, but I had no problems navigating through the games. It is also nice to see combat take a back seat but still be an option if the player feels it's necessary.

I am playing on a 52" XBR3 and did not find the jaggies offensive (PS3). Perhaps I am not as bothered by them though. The game's contrast is great and the art style is very clean and fresh to look at.

Hopefully the game won't be as linear as the demo seems to be though. My concern at this point is that the game will be shallow and derivative. I will wait for some hands on opinions, but really I am only going to wait to hear if the average opinion is that this game has staying power and replay value. If so then it looks like I will be picking this up.

Excellent work from what I have seen, Dice and kudos to EA for publishing such great games this holiday season.

mintylurb

commariodore64 said:
Maturity at it's finest - and a great example of liberal fairness. I'm sure Obama will reach across the isle with the elegance you have just exhibited.

PS3

PS3

Also -just off the topic slightly - do you think Barbera Striesand, Matt Damon, Whoopi Goldberg and the Hollywood crowd know much about you and your life? You seem to indicate that you think they know your problems and how best to fix them... Next time you go for a beer with your friends, try making the one who earns the most pay the most base your chip in on your income - see how they like it. Then remind them that they have a CHOICE in the decision - something they will NOT have in an Obama presidency. How is McCain bullshit?
Let's try to keep politics BS out of this thread. And yay for more yoda comparison pictures. Call me crazy but when his "direct grab" shots look blurrier than my off-screen shots, as was the case with his ps3 bioshock pics, I have a hard time taking his comparison shots too seriously.

Wurm

Banned
The demo was nifty, but I'm not gonna lie. The control setup sucks, like...I am astonished its coming to retail and no-one has mentioned how un-intuitive it is to have everything on the bumpers. Literally everything, commands doubling up for seemingly no reason while every face button goes virtually un-used?

I feel like quite often these days that games simply either go through a bizarre sycophant set of testers. I just find it insane that such a clusterfucked set of controls could bluster through testing maybe under the usual "IT AIDS THE ARTISTS INTENTION/VISION" asterisk note.

^ the above misdirected rage may be an irrelevant point if the final game has fully customiseable controls, something it seems the entire Games industry has forgotten how to program?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If there's anyone with a spare code, shoot me a PM. I'd greatly appreciate it (I've played through the demo an embarrassing amount of times). Either version is fine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wurm said:
The demo was nifty, but I'm not gonna lie. The control setup sucks, like...I am astonished its coming to retail and no-one has mentioned how un-intuitive it is to have everything on the bumpers. Literally everything, commands doubling up for seemingly no reason while every face button goes virtually un-used?

I feel like quite often these days that games simply either go through a bizarre sycophant set of testers. I just find it insane that such a clusterfucked set of controls could bluster through testing maybe under the usual "IT AIDS THE ARTISTS INTENTION/VISION" asterisk note.

^ the above misdirected rage may be an irrelevant point if the final game has fully customiseable controls, something it seems the entire Games industry has forgotten how to program?
The majority of people seem to like the controls. In fact they're probably one of my favourite things about the game.

knitoe

Finish PS3 demo. Going to have to pass. Agree with with all the problems, shimmering, lack of AA and stupid control setup (guessing it could be change in retail). Like the art style, but didn't like low polygon geometry. Plus, game play could lead to very short game.

Might try X360 demo, but everyone saying it's pretty much the same.

Controls are great, what kind of crazy are you people? They're simplified and contextual so you spend more time thinking about routes then what buttons you're pressing. I've put a few hours into the time trial mode and I couldn't imagine using the face buttons for these maneuvers.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
knitoe said:
Finish PS3 demo. Going to have to pass. Agree with with all the problems, shimmering, lack of AA and stupid control setup (guessing it could be change in retail). Like the art style, but didn't like low polygon geometry. Plus, game play could lead to very short game.

So basically you found it too hard then ;-P :lol

j/k

Rez>You said:
The majority of people seem to like the controls. In fact they're probably one of my favourite things about the game.

I think anyone that's spent time playing the Time Trials knows how frustrating the controls would be if they were mapped to the face buttons. They definitely made the right decision to map them to the shoulder buttons.

Wurm

Banned
Clicking the thumbstick in would make a lot more sense for sliding for instance. Thats just one example. I hate the "context sensitive" excuse because it means my control over the character is never absolute.

I think its going to be a great game, but I'm going to have to wrestle with its control shit irking me to ever truly "love" it.

knitoe

SolidSnakex said:
I think anyone that's spent time playing the Time Trials knows how frustrating the controls would be if they were mapped to the face buttons. They definitely made the right decision to map them to the shoulder buttons.

Only play normal demo, but never like DS L1 & L2 placement. Sometimes, I'll hit the wrong button or fingers feel like it'll cramp up. Think, I would prefer buttons mapped on face no matter what.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
there's no way the controls could be simpler without undesirably simplifying the mechanics or automating things -- this becomes clear when you get into the timetrials. but i'll agree that neither of the current controllers is well suited to a game that mostly takes place on the shoulder buttons. the ds3 is more tolerable than the 360 controller, but a ds2 with nonsquishy L2 and R2 would be ideal

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Wurm said:
Clicking the thumbstick in would make a lot more sense for sliding for instance. Thats just one example. I hate the "context sensitive" excuse because it means my control over the character is never absolute.

I think its going to be a great game, but I'm going to have to wrestle with its control shit irking me to ever truly "love" it.

What?

The triggers are fine for up and down. Controls are quite fine for this game, the fighting on the other hand is clumsy.

Leatherface

Played the PS3 demo today which was so awesome it prompted me to pre-order the game (something very rare for me). Aren't I suppose to get a code for time-trial mode now? *scratches head*

chris0701

mintylurb said:
Call me crazy but when his "direct grab" shots look blurrier than my off-screen shots, as was the case with his ps3 bioshock pics, I have a hard time taking his comparison shots too seriously.

The off-screen shots would look greater than direct-feed grabs if you take them properly.

You could never get direct-grab screenshots from any 1080p HD material as sharp/vivid as you see them in HDTV unless you resample them.

commariodore64 said:

PS3

PS3

Hahahaha......ok. I aim to please. Seriously though, you want maturity I'd stick with Mcaine, he's got more years on him then Palin has in high school, which is to say more then 8, but again - she's no dummy. As for elegance, that lies in the eyes of the beholder, in which case - you misquote and illrepresent comments made on another forum in a sad atempt to disalussion people on to an otherwise commendable effort.

Those pictures show nor prove absolutely nada, and just bring the point more home that your picking at nits.....which most likely in this case do not exist. My opinion is simply that, and was never stated to be fact. But the games speak for themselves and do not need help in proving my point.

As for the ot.....I could give a shit about the stars, as they don't pay my bills...but neither does Mcaine, and under his run(which should never happen if there is a god)only those that are already in good standing will benifit. Those with the jacusies in the bathroom will be able to upgrade, while we with normal bathrooms will still have to fart in the tub if we want some bubbles!!! Obama may not be the right person for those of us without need, but for those of us still struggling, he is our Robin Hood to your Sherif of Naughtingham!!

knitoe said:
Only play normal demo, but never like DS L1 & L2 placement. Sometimes, I'll hit the wrong button or fingers feel like it'll cramp up. Think, I would prefer buttons mapped on face no matter what.

When you play in the Time Trials you're always moving both analog sticks, so you wouldn't be able to take your thumb off one stick to press face button. Putting the buttons on the shoulders seem strange at first but once you spend some time with it the controls start to make perfect sense.

Docpan

Damn so I just played the demo after seeing the awesome commercial and was very impressed. Prince of Persia in first person and with a futuristic setting? Very nice. This game must have been a bitch to program.

Overall I thought it was great and innovative. My heart was actually pumping as the guards were chasing me through the hallways and across the rooftops.

I do wish the demo were a bit longer, though. I'm not sure if I'll purchase or rent this. But I'll definitely be playing it.

JB1981 said:

The Ps3 image looks more solid, and stable. The Color is very natural. I haven't noticed any frame drops in the ps3 version like I did with the 360(although very slight).

IMO.....the ps3 edges out the 360...not by much, but it does.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
NameIess said:
It's funny how some people think all Asians should have accents...
I guess there's no such thing as an Asian American. :lol:

Well, having grown up in Australia and Asia, I nearly fell over when I was in London and this Asian man asked me what time the train was arriving... IN A THICK COCKNEY ACCENT.

:lol

oh man, you know the second guard you have to fight in the demo? i ran past him up to the top, and he circled down to the bottom of those blue stairways. he was shooting me from the bottom of the roof, so i ran back and jumped on top of a large box. i wanted to try to do a huge karate kick, so i waited for him to stop moving and begin shooting, before i made my jump.

instead of doing a kick, when i pressed R2, she planted both of her feet on his chest and just landed on him, driving his back to the ground. so, so cool.

PS: if anyone has a time trial code for the PS3, i'd appreciate getting one

Shins

Banned
commariodore64 said:
How is McCain bullshit?
Because with McCain, you all look to the poor friend to carry the weight of the tax, with an idealistic hope that the more well-off friend will pitch in without any direct push to do so.

It's too bad you opened the door to judging candidates bases on those who espouse support for them though; you reflect poorly on your choice with your ignorance. I guess McCain is just like you. :p

i finally killed the 4 guards at the beginning! fuck, this game rocks.

PS: you can pick up guns from KO'ed guards by pressing triangle (you don't have to disarm them to get their gun)

Dabanton

cr_blah_blah said:
You can change them in the demo to RB and RT (or change the sticks around, I didn't do that) I did that and it worked much better. Then again I have my finger so it can hit both the bumper and trigger without having to use 2 fingers, so who knows how that'll work for others.

Yeah i mentioned this earlier. It plays much better that way.

hteng

Banned
good controls, need some time getting used to it, the timing to roll after a long fall is kinda hard.

it seems to be more of a trial and error game, first time through you're gonna die and fall alot.

bardia

Awesome game, I was already in love with it from all the trailers and previews, the demo has me sold. Gotta wait a couple of weeks though to buy it, no money right now :(...

Also if only I could try out the time trial...anyone have a spare code?

Dabanton

KeioSquad2 said:
The Ps3 image looks more solid, and stable. The Color is very natural. I haven't noticed any frame drops in the ps3 version like I did with the 360(although very slight).

IMO.....the ps3 edges out the 360...not by much, but it does.

err look they both look pretty much the same give or take a few things. Can we keep the fanboy shit out of here and just enjoy the game.

JavaMava

Just played the demo. Amazing. Once the controls clicked (mid way through the demo) I felt so free. I really hope there's more options in the full game. Seemed a bit linear. I'm pretty sure I've read there is. I wanted to get the PC version, but I may not be able to wait.

Top Bottom